Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you, Samurott-H will be used with which object?

Choice Band to maximize Ceaseless Edge damage? Choice Scarf to be sure to put Spikes and be faster than Gholdengo Scarf? Or Focus Sash?

For you, Samurott-H will be used with which object?

Choice Band to maximize Ceaseless Edge damage? Choice Scarf to be sure to put Spikes and be faster than Gholdengo Scarf? Or Focus Sash?
Black Glasses:

Sasuke (Samurott-Hisui) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Sharpness
Level: 16
Tera Type: Dark
- Ceaseless Edge
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

More seriously, with how many useful dark moves HSamurott has (Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Ceaseless Edge), maybe Black Glasses might be a valid choice.

For reference:
252 Atk Black Glasses Samurott-Hisui Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 153-181 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Black Glasses Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 118-139 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Black Glasses Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 234-276 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

AV maybe would be valid if Gholdengo is around?
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Samurott-Hisui: 94-111 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 9.1% chance to 3HKO

AV for something like Samurott doesn't sound like a bad idea, since typically the issue with the item is not being able to use utility beyond bulk-and-hit-back for most users.

With that said, if going with an AV, I would assume one would want to look for certain breakpoints in bulk, if they exist, since its bulk and typing affords it only a few switches even then, so better to get that number as efficient as possible

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
AV for something like Samurott doesn't sound like a bad idea, since typically the issue with the item is not being able to use utility beyond bulk-and-hit-back for most users.

With that said, if going with an AV, I would assume one would want to look for certain breakpoints in bulk, if they exist, since its bulk and typing affords it only a few switches even then, so better to get that number as efficient as possible
i think heavy duty boots is better i think you keep more hp with that than av which is meant only for gholdengo

razor shell get boosted by sharpness i think
Razor Shell is boosted by Sharpness, but Surf does more damage to most variants of Great Tusk.

4 SpA Samurott-Hisui Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 324-384 (74.6 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Aqua Cutter vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 180-212 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery*

Also you'd rather use Aqua Cutter as Razor Shell can miss.

*edited for a more relevant calc, since in the previous one both were 2hko's lmao.

Last edited:

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
Razor Shell is boosted by Sharpness, but Surf does more damage to most variants of Great Tusk.

4 SpA Samurott-Hisui Surf vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Great Tusk: 294-348 (67.7 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 254-302 (58.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

yeah but you can't go through well ting-lu or ursaluna with surf

I don't see how Garchomp is outclassed at all. The strongest ground types in the tier are Great Tusk, Ting-Lu and Clodsire; Garchomp has enough traits to distinguish itself from them. For that matter, it isn't like Garchomp and Great Tusk are all that similar either; they check different things and play very differently. Between the two ground types, Garchomp just isn't as splashable.

Its traits as a mixed attacker are unique to it in that it's a lure to dent stuff that would normally switch into Garchomp (and remove its hazards). However, because the set is so common now, Corviknight, Great Tusk, etc. know not to stay in on a potential Draco Meteor/Fire Blast especially if they see Life Orb recoil. So its effectiveness has decreased because its a victim of its own success, not because its outclassed.

Garchomp has taken a hit probably because the meta has adapted to it. So it has to adapt in order to make a comeback.

As for Rotom-Wash, it's defensive qualities are quite good and its annoying to play against. But it can get overwhelmed by the stuff its supposed to beat, so that's probably why people are slotting it in less
As a hazards setter for HO Glimm and Meowscarada do the job better, both also have ways to deal with Tusk and Corviknight, Glimm can beat Hatt without having to tera which is a big deal for HO, while chomp usually needs tera to beat it (the same for Corviknight) and also mortal spin removes the opposing hazards, while Meow's fast taunt prevents them and also has other options like knock off and u-turn. It is not a matter of adaptation, it is just that the other options provide more role compression in the same slot Garchomp wants to fill. While in the attacking side, Pult, Moon, Dragonite and Hydreigon have more consistency in the current meta.

Sash seems like it will be the best item IMO. Realistically, Samurott is going to be a suicide lead for HO most of the time so as long he can put at least a layer he will get the job done so sash seems like the best vs Meow's leads.

yeah but you can't go through well ting-lu or ursaluna with surf
Great Tusk is much more relevant than those 2. And either way you can run Sacred Sword if you really want to deal with them. In any case Aqua Cutter sets are probably still viable, I just think that using Surf has its merits.

95% Accuracy isn't really Focus Miss levels of consideration on move missing decision.

While Surf is superior for targets like Tusk, Razor Shell's 50% DEF drop chance is a bit more beneficial in the event it lands, reducing the switch-in's ability to tank another hit from Samurott or whatever gets pivoted to. For example, Kingambit goes from a 3HKO to a 2HKO, which means Samurott can threaten to stay and KO with another Razor Shell rather than fearing something like Low Kick (which I have seen it start to run to lure things like other Gambits and could also be used for targets like Roaring Moon), the switch out giving King the chance to SD and start going for Sucker Punches. It also would allow the chance to 2HKO already-Tera'd Skeledirge or handicap Tera Garganacl the tiniest bit more against something like Bax.

+2 Baxcalibur can OHKO on a 4-hit Icicle Spear from Loaded Dice after the drop, even if Garg recovered from the Razor Shell, so SD can threaten out after one boost and DD sets essentially force Garg to play Chicken with Protect (free boost) and Switching (something else gets nailed). More straightforward, while Tera Water sets must boost on the switch to get back to neutral or be OHKO'd by CB Tera Glaive Rush (which Discourages Salt Curing a potential switch-in) since they need to be at +2 to avoid a 2HKO in general.

All this my long-winded way to say that Razor Shell > Aqua Cutter if Samurott were running Phys Water STAB in the first place. And it's not like Tusk is going to be comfortable with either SE hit in general (Razor Shell still 2HKO's most of the time on full PDef with 1 Spike or any real Chip) so I could see all 3 slashed on the same slot.

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
Great Tusk is much more relevant than those 2. And either way you can run Sacred Sword if you really want to deal with them. In any case Aqua Cutter sets are probably still viable, I just think that using Surf has its merits.
yeah but it's just 10 percent more,aqua cutter prevent the opponent to send some mons likes garg,ting lu,ursaluna(that will most likeky player AV),gholdengo if samurott is scarf and others. It would be worth it if you ohko tusk like ttar ice beam against lando but it is not

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
:samurott-hisui:
Idk how people think Samurott-H is overrated, water/dark is incredibly unique defensively since you resist ghost/dark spam whilst also having safety against rain (gren, WW, floatzel), armarogue and baxcalibur. Obviously it's not a defensive mon and its main appeal is the sig move, but this is probably the bulkiest water/dark we've had since mega gyara whilst packing one of the most broken moves ever created. Also in a meta without fini, clef, urshifu (to outclass and check it).

Oh, and it has insane set diversity too. Scarf is a decent offensive pivot with spikes utility for free, CB sounds frustratingly hard to switch into, SD can beat its "checks" with taunt + tera. Also gets knock and priority in aqua jet and sucker punch. Don't be silly, this mon is gonna be amazing.

:samurott-hisui:
Idk how people think Samurott-H is overrated, water/dark is incredibly unique defensively since you resist ghost/dark spam whilst also having safety against rain (gren, WW, floatzel), armarogue and baxcalibur. Obviously it's not a defensive mon and its main appeal is the sig move, but this is probably the bulkiest water/dark we've had since mega gyara whilst packing one of the most broken moves ever created. Also in a meta without fini, clef, urshifu (to outclass and check it).

Oh, and it has insane set diversity too. Scarf is a decent offensive pivot with spikes utility for free, CB sounds frustratingly hard to switch into, SD can beat its "checks" with taunt + tera. Also gets knock and priority in aqua jet and sucker punch. Don't be silly, this mon is gonna be amazing.
Urishifu will return with home too, but since it got SD is hard to believe I won't get banned.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Back from the dead. So what's up with all these fake stall mons popping out lately? First AV Pex and now Curse Clod? For reference, this is what I'm talking about:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1837266452-czrin91z5jwaqarc6qxelnhjdilxjklpw
This kinda makes me wonder if an antimeta AV Gholdengo could work somehow... maybe something with the 2 STABs, Focus Blast and Psyshock, with Tera Fighting so it can bait and kill Hydreigon (it can hit both Tera Poison and Tera Steel), Iron Moth, Kingambit, Pex and Clod. Idk I'll have to try it out.

yeah but it's just 10 percent more,aqua cutter prevent the opponent to send some mons likes garg,ting lu, ursaluna(that will most likeky player AV),gholdengo if samurott is scarf and others. It would be worth it if you ohko tusk like ttar ice beam against lando but it is not
You think that a Guts mon is going to use Assault Vest as its primary item?

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
Honestly yeah, this mon has a great potentiel like some king of melmetal jr that can check threat like gholdengo or ursaluna. I think ursaluna is strong enough because passive teams are less strong in this gen. However i'm impatient to try flame orb ursaluna when it's released with trialblaze.
also i was thinking orthworm plus ursaluna as a good core
with this set
Ursaluna @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpD / 148 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Trailblaze
- Tera Blast

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
well, since there's no heal bell, it's an excellent status deterrent. skeledirge and clodsire dont wanna take their chances with a 140 attack ground type, do they?

Tbh, switching an AV Ursaluna in on a Will o Wisp seems like it would be well worth the risk of "only" having 140 attack some of the time

this isn't some mon that needs guts to kick ass; AV gives it 130/105/120 bulk and 140 ATK is already as high as stuff like Baxcalibur (who often uses Loaded Dice) or Roaring Moon (which has sets that don't give it an attack boost from its item at all!)

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Speed

This current metagame is heavily centered around hyper offense and offensive builds/pokemon. In this current metagame, the best playstyle is hyper offense/offense. I wanna lay out some of the reasons for the offensive takeover in this current metagame. Why even, with the introduction of unaware monsters Dondozo, Skeldirge, and impossible-to-ohko mons like Ting Lu or Tera'd Garg, offensive builds are still in the driver's seat.

Lack Of Removal/Influx Of Hazards is a good place to start. We currently have 15 hazard setters in the OU tier (some can even set multiple hazards). We currently have 7 ways of hazard control that are mostly relativity flimsy. There is also the aspect of 5 ghost types in OU to prevent the most consistent form of removal currently rapid spin, not including the viable option of tera ghosting pokemon such as Ting-Lu & Great Tusk to spin block. There is also the aspect of Gholdengo, more so its ability Good As Gold that prevents Pokemon like Corviknight from removing hazards. Now, all these elements help Hyper Offense/Offensive builds as they can generally easily set their hazards and apply pressure to their opponent with those hazards on the field. You can see some of these builds easily add something like balloon Gholdengo which can make it relatively easy to prevent great tusk from removing hazards from the field while not losing offensive momentum and also prevent Corviknight from removing in just one slot. Due to this influx of hazards being used to pressure bulkier teams into submission, there has been a rise in hazardless balances that utilize Cinderace and its signature move court change to reverse the tide.

Energy Booster is an amazing item. It has little to no drawback as most of the sweepers that utilize the item goal is win as soon as they come in. This item is used by the most prominent threats in the tier. A lot of the popular HO/Hyper Offensive playstyles will have at least one energy boost user on the team, some may even have 3. Energy Booster is able to give Pokemon like Roaring Moon the extra attack boost it needs to straight 6-0 your team. It gives Iron Valiant the speed boost needed to essentially outspeed almost every viable speed control option in the tier. It allows Iron Moth to potentially Agility with a SPA boost or simply go ham after getting one fiery dance rise with a speed boost. The energy booster dominance over the metagame has led to items like red card having increased usage to counteract this. Energy Booster gives offensive builds the ability to counteract fast threats & bulky monsters.

There are currently too many threats/archetypes to account for in the metagame in my opinion. It currently isn't possible to prep for every viable sweeper, bulky Pokemon, archetype, & weather. Due to this, I feel it's completely reasonable to find yourself leaning toward an offensive build as you can viably build a hyper-offensive team that can handle every single popular team style primarily except stall. You also have the ability to utilize tera to get past some Pokemon you'd otherwise be checked by and furthermore can use tera to potentially check a threat that may overwhelm your team. Now, your opponent also has tera and can arguably do the same, I personally feel with the offensive archetype you can place yourself in a position to force your opponent to tera to handle a threat of yours which can lead to them being overwhelmed by another threat you possess. Being able to force your opponent to tera is one of the most valuable elements of this generation and you have to keep in mind what Pokemon will most likely force you to tera in this metagame.

Tera is one of the elements that is easy to abuse and there are a lot of abusers in this metagame. Most of the current OU Pokemon are able to take advantage and abuse this heavily offensive metagame. You also have to realize that there are so many different types of viable offensive archetypes:

Shed Tail Offense
Psychic Terrain Offense
Hazard Lead/Hazard Stack Offense
Hattrene/Cind Hazard Control Offense
Eject Pack Offense
Energy Booster Offense

Shed Tail Offense

Shed Tail allows Pokemon that already benefit from energy boosts or abilities like supreme overload to take it a step further. We've seen countless games decided by a Pokemon being under substitute due to shed tail and the banning of Cyclizar did not stop its havoc.

Psychic Terrain Offense

Psychic Terrain Offense rise was mainly due to players like mind gaming & Pinecoishot and even though it hasn't actively been causing havoc like it was during its peak doesn't mean it's something that you can't account for when building. Indeedee and Hatterene the pillars of the playstyle allow you to set an 8-turn lasting terrain not allowing you to revenge the many threats you may face, along with Hatterene preventing hazards from generally being unable to be laid.

Hazard Lead/Hazard Stack Offense

This type of offense is definitely the oldest form of an offense listed. It is still as reliable as ever, it may not be as effective with heavy-duty boots so prevalent but it still gets the job done and aids whichever Pokemon you choose to pair with hazard setters.

Hattrene/Cind Hazard Control Offense

This type of offense goal is to keep hazards off so a Pokemon that would be weak to hazards is able to still be effective without that worry. Hattrene does this very well with its ability magic bounce and Cinderace being able to send hazards to the opposing side with Court Change makes it plausible to keep hazards off with its presence as well.

Eject Pack Offense

This type of offense is centered around keeping offensive momentum/pressure up on your opponent. You abuse the new item gamefreak presented to us with powerful Pokemon such as Great Tusk, Gholdengo, & many more. It's admittedly probably the least popular and hardest playstyle to pull off effectively.

Energy Booster Offense

This type of offense can easily overwhelm your opponent. It is one of the most consistent offensive playstyles currently (mostly due to shed tail pairing) and even if you don't favor this type of offense its hard to turn down using the item energy booster itself. This playstyle is centered around the MVPs of Energy Booster, Roaring Moon, Iron Valiant, & Iron Moth.

I personally feel with all the advantages that offense has, there is very little reason not to take advantage of them. Currently, in the metagame, we've seen Pokemon like Kingambit and Azu go from bulky spreads to now some electing to run jolly max to counteract each other. We've seen red cards start to be consistent on Amoongus and even Glimorra. AV Pex has started to arise in usage so it can handle some of these special attacking threats much better than its passive counterpart sets. We are in an offensive metagame, don't get lost in its fast-paced nature. It's right now all about Speed.

Here are some offensive teams you can enjoy using in this metagame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 17)