SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Okay, so I was wrong about a lot of things to do with the Loyal Three, buuut
- Ogerpon will (obviously) have a BST no higher than 600, but I personally anticipate 580, 570 or 550 for this one; I'm kinda leaning towards the lower end of those (so 550), knowing that its Abilities seem to give it a free boost to some of its stats. Urshifu was last Gen's the DLC1 mascot and also had 550 BST, for comparison.
- I am also personally doubtful that Ogerpon's forms will have drastically different base stats from one another, because differentiating their stats is the point of their Abilities instead. I'm kinda surprised that multiple fake leaks in a row have tried to differentiate them all so much, because I was kinda taking for granted that all four forms would have exactly the same base stats and it didn't even occur to me to think otherwise until everyone else seemed to.
- That said, I would like to raise the possibility that Ogerpon may have a different (probably weak/intentionally useless) standard Ability and only gain Embody Aspect when it Terastallizes into the appropriate type. The Ability description refers to "causing the Mask to shine," which to me sounds like it must be referring to the Terastallized State shown on the official site.
- Now might be a good time to bring up that, even though they are recognized as distinct forms by the in-game Pokédex, Gigantamax forms were not internally listed as alternate forms in SwSh - they boiled down to a Pokémon swapping to a different model when Dynamaxing and making a small, scripted change to its movepool, not an explicit form change.​
Obviously there was no form leaked in HOME that matched Ogerpon's Terastallized State, but what I'm saying is that it might still be mechanically distinct in a relevant way, like how Gigantamaxes functionally weren't forms but still had different moves; I feel like it would be silly to design Ogerpon around a unique Terastallized State if it did literally nothing.​
- The question is exactly how it might be mechanically distinct, if at all, knowing that it's not internally treated as a form change (so it probably can't be anything big like base stats).​
I'm personally hoping that that the change is what gives it Embody Aspect rather than having it by default, but I'm not sure if that's fully realistic; it might also be something more specific to Tera, like modifying Tera Blast or Ivy Cudgel, for instance.​
- Lastly, since Ogerpon's Terastallized State does not have a visible hat, I don't think it can enter that state with just any Tera Type. I suspect that it needs to match its mask (Tera Grass for the Teal Mask, Tera Fire for the Hearthflame Mask, and so on) if it wants to show its Terastallized State... which in turn makes me think there needs to be a mechanical reason to prefer those forms over any other Tera Type... which loops back to my personal hope that the form-specific Embody Aspect is for these specifically and not just there by default.​
- In this situation, having the form-changing masks as Key Items would likely serve a dual purpose of changing its Tera Type to the one it needs to enter its signature Terastallized State without needing to pay Tera Shards every time.​

- That aside, I believe it's a very safe bet that all of Ogerpon's forms will be physically biased, accounting for its signature move, dex entries, and the fact that it conspicuously has a mask to boost any stat it wants except SpA... buuut a personal hope of mine is that its Special Attack is also decently usable and that it won't have Poltergeist access, because physically-biased mixed Ghost-types are my favorite!
- On that note, I feel like it would make a lot of mechanical design sense for the Teal Mask form (Grass/Ghost) to have the weakest physical STABs (like limited Ghost access + Ivy Cudgel defaulting to Grass) in return for having what's arguably the most significant stat boost from Embody Aspect, pushing it more into the common "ludicrously fast utility but only one convenient STAB type" archetype,​
while the other mask forms should keep Grass (not Ghost) and be guaranteed a secondary STAB through Ivy Cudgel, making up for lost Speed with reliable dual STABs.​
This is just what I personally want from it and I get why people lean towards all of its forms sharing Ghost instead, but I do think it's possible!​
I would say I pretty much nailed my Ogerpon predictions :3

- 550 BST​
- base stats are the same in all forms​
- the Teal Mask form with the Speed-boosting Embody Aspect is mono Grass (even when we all thought it would be part Ghost, I still said it would rely almost exclusively on Grass STAB...!), while every other form is half-Grass and has dual STABs in return for the lower Speed​
confirmed by Anubis:
- Embody Aspect is only its Ability after it Terastallizes; it has another Ability that depends on its form (Defiant for Teal, Water Absorb for Wellspring, Mold Breaker for Hearthflame or Sturdy for Cornerstone) until it Terastallizes​
- Ogerpon is required to have the Tera Type that matches its current mask; the masks change its Tera Type without needing any Tera Shards and it isn't allowed to use the Treasure Eatery at all​

Last edited:

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Tiering Contributor
Okay, so I was wrong about a lot of things to do with the Loyal Three, buuut

I would say I pretty much nailed my Ogerpon predictions :3

- 550 BST​
- base stats are the same in all forms​
- the Teal Mask form with the Speed-boosting Embody Aspect is mono Grass (even when we all thought it would be part Ghost, I still said it would rely almost exclusively on Grass STAB...!), while every other form is half-Grass and has dual STABs in return for the lower Speed​
- Embody Aspect is only its Ability after it Terastallizes; it has another Ability that depends on its form (Defiant for Teal, Water Absorb for Wellspring, Mold Breaker for Hearthflame or Sturdy for Cornerstone) until it Terastallizes​
- Ogerpon is required to have the Tera Type that matches its current mask; the masks change its Tera Type without needing any Tera Shards and it isn't allowed to use the Treasure Eatery at all​
Does he have to get the Tera Grass in base form??

• Haha
Reactions: hs
there used to be rules like no new mons during a generation, or pokemon like this shouldn't be able to learn X move or have this BST. Idk but anything can happen most of these rules are arbitrary.

What rules are you talking about
soft rules like pokemon can't have their abilities changed over generations, no stat buffs/nerfs, no new mons during a generation. Soft rules we came to accept as a community in earlier generations, but we saw change overtime. My point is there's no real rule to follow here.

Yeah, I'm not saying Dipplin won't get an evolution, but I'm not convinced by anything we've seen so far that it will get one.
Also just another point, even if the slot after Dipplin is a member of the Applin family, nothing says that it evolves from Dipplin. It could just be a fourth evolution from Applin.

Looks like Dipplin has overall worse stats than Appletun aside from speed, and even then 40 speed doesn't make much difference compared to 30. Useless

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)