SV OU [Peaked #23 1958 Elo] PROVIDENCE (Custap Serp)

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
497.png
983.png
1021.png
1006.png
645-t.png
637.png

PROVIDENCE

INTRODUCTION
Yo to be honest I have been really busy lately so I haven't had time to play mons much less post on forum, but here is a squad I really fuck with and I recently brought to my peak of 1958 elo. It is built around :serperior: and involves an cool tech I came up with (not sure if anyone else has used successfully before). Anyways I love this team because of how many ways you can beat opposing offense, also it has :serperior:. Enjoy the RMT.

POKEPASTE
:serperior: :kingambit: :raging bolt: :iron valiant: :landorus-therian: :volcarona:

PROOF OF PEAK

TEAM BREAKDOWN
:serperior: is the goat and an underappreciated threat that is probably gonna drop to UU next month. This is because it is a mon with many glaring issues. The biggest ones are 1) it's kinda slow for gen 9 standards, 2) it can run into really shitty MUs (:goodra-hisui: :slowking-galar:) and 3) it can be tera reliant. So how did I try to work around these weaknesses? The answer is custap berry + endure on :serperior: which suddenly turns the table against fast offensive teams, allowing :serperior: to pick up 2-for-1s or even sweep. The remaining 5 mons are tailor-made to support :serperior: and cover its weaknesses.

497.png

Mistlestorm @ Custap Berry
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Endure

Role: I have tried so many :serperior: sets; terablast, subseed, screens, scarf, boots, room service, etc. but I legit think this might be the best set. You lead :serperior: or get it in on a mon it checks, like :great tusk: or :ogerpon-wellspring:. Then, you click leaf storm and they'll probably have to trade or sac a mon. Then, against their revenge killer, you can either endure to get into custap range for another easy kill, or tera steel if they are a strong u-turn mon (:meowscarada:, :dragapult:). Anyways, :serperior: is chosen as my special breaker over mons like :dragapult: since its snowballing potential can force the opponent into very defensive play, which is great for this team since it can capitalise on that.
Moveset/EVs: Dragon pulse allows you to beat :raging bolt:, :kyurem:, :gouging fire:, :dragonite:, etc. If :serperior: won't be able to break (e.g. they have :volcarona: or :heatran:) you can use endure + glare to neutralise any fast setup sweepers. Yes, they can predict the endure and setup but that's why this team has double taunt which I will get to later.
Tera: Mainly for non-flamethrower/twave :slowking-galar:, but also generally nice for fairy, flying, ice resist
Other Options: I would love to fit knock/sub/tera blast but I don't think moveset can change. Tera could be changed to any generic type (water, fairy, etc.)

983.png

Murasama @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Role: :serperior: is great at securing trades at worst and sometimes 2-for-1s. Hence, I wanted a mon that synergizes with a trading playstyle that offense operates with. :kingambit: was the obvious solution and also defensively checks ghosts, especially :dragapult: which beats :serperior:. Also threatens :slowking-galar:
Moveset/EVs: Low kick is usually seen on max speed :kingambit: but because I have :serperior: with glare, I don't need as much speed. Instead I have enough speed to outspeed :volcarona: if it gets glared. Iron head and sucker for obvious reasons.
Tera: Not actually for :volcarona: (I have something else for that :sphearical:) but for general fires like :cinderace:, :gouging fire:, :heatran: and also for an emergency fairy resist.
Other Options: Literally any tera type works, balloon, or more speed to outspeed faster para'd mons.

1021.png

Lazhar @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
Timid Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderclap
- Taunt

Role: I needed a :zapdos: check. I actually don't need :raging bolt: to be a setup sweeper since I have :serperior: and :volcarona: so instead made it a bulky utility mon with taunt to ease the stall MU. Also the synergy between this and :kingambit: is amazing.
Moveset/EVs: Timid is because speedcreeping modest :raging bolt: is really common and also for opposing :raging bolt:. Also outspeeds more :zapdos:, :dragonite: and even greedy :great tusk:. Tera ghost taunt beats :blissey: and really annoys certain stalls, but doesn't auto-win obviously.
Tera: For :blissey: and also :slowking-galar: to some extent.
Other Options: CM should only be used if you change the other mons to deal with stall. Lefties, shuca, air balloon, lum, boots are all options.

1006.png

Excelsus @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Role: Speed control, knocker, progress maker vs :corviknight: or :gliscor: teams. Draco abuser.
Moveset/EVs: Liquidation is for fire types, especially the demon bug :volcarona:. CC and knock are mandatory unless you fit knock on :serperior:.
Tera: Stronger liquidation to kill :gliscor: at +2, also resists fire.
Other Options: If you made :raging bolt: CM you could run utility mixed :iron valiant:. Also tera can be changed to ghost, steel, fighting, dark, etc. Tera fire + ice punch also an option over liquidation but worsens the :iron moth: MU.

645-t.png

Earth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- U-turn

Role: Fast utility, ground + electric immune, intimidate eases setup on your mons. Checks mons that threaten :serperior:.
Moveset/EVs: Rocks, STAB, utility.
Tera: :ogerpon-wellspring: emergency check, :pelipper: or :torkoal: emergency check.
Other Options: Unironically psychic>earth power could be used which hits :great tusk:, :zamazenta:, :hawlucha: and allows you to chip ground-immunes with taunt.

637.png

Providence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Tera Blast

Role: Autowin button against bad teams. :kyurem:, :iron valiant: check. Stacks strong special attackers to make offensive options better.
Moveset/EVs: Bug buzz for :roaring moon: and :ogerpon-wellspring:. Offensive EVs since this team prefers immediate power for favourable trades.
Tera: :heatran: and twave :slowking-galar:.
Other Options: It's a volc.

BAD MUs
These type of stalls can be super tough since you won't be able to taunt gliscor before it toxics. Hope that :iron valiant: and :kingambit: can pull through.
Annoying mon, turns :serperior: into free momentum and always checks :iron valiant:. Always have rocks up to punish u-turn spam.
I sometimes lead :iron valiant: against this mon if I think it isn't sash. This mon is a demon and beats every mon 1v1.

Any other "bad" MUs can be played around with custap glare or lando or one of your fat mons.

REPLAYS
:blissey: :cyclizar: :alomomola: :dondozo: :talonflame: :weezing-galar:
:torkoal: :gouging fire: :blaziken: :walking wake: :dragapult: :iron treads:
:dragonite: :zamazenta: :glimmora: :roaring moon: :raging bolt: :gouging fire:
:glimmora: :raging bolt: :iron valiant: :roaring moon: :gouging fire: :zamazenta:
:landorus-therian: :latios: :tinkaton: :skeledirge: :dragapult: :samurott-hisui:
:serperior: :roaring moon: :great tusk: :rillaboom: :heatran: :hawlucha:

Serp kills all 6

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
love the calamity nicknames, i just finished my melee playthrough few days ago kek, earth carried bigtime with boss rush
cool team

Shaymin Sky

You, no, all of you, are my repentance.
is a Community Contributor
Hello, your team is pretty cool and I like the Serperior pick! I have some slight adjustments that I think could help however :3

Weaknesses Overview: The main issue I found with the team, is that Landorus-Therian is so vital to the team for pivoting and defensive maneuvering that it dies pretty quickly. This over-reliance along with the set being very speedy, and no other decently bulky Pokemon on the team makes Landorus-Therians staying power pretty low. On top of that the team REALLY needs Landorus-Therian in order to work properly, so when it does die quickly its a big deal. Also in case you're confused, yes Hyper Offense doesn't *need* longevity like this, however in this case the team is not immediately offensively threatening enough to prevent offensive pressure on your side.

Hyper Offense likes to scare the opponent into making defensive switches or general defensive plays so even having 1 defensive anchor can do a whole lot, but your teams immediate threats aren't that scary compared to standard HO. The other issue is the team really struggles against Ice spinner + Earthquake coverage which is very common in the tier, whether it be Dragonite or Great Tusk. Toxic Spikes also decimates your team, however you have enough special attackers to not activate the Toxic Debris ability so it's really gonna be about preventing Slowking-Galar from clicking Toxic Spikes. Lastly Darkrai as you stated in your RMT OP outspeeds everything and kills everything (besides Booster Energy speed Iron Valian).

Set Changes

:volcarona:
- The major set change is a bulkier Volcarona EV spread along with Morning Sun > Bug Buzz. I know why you have Bug Buzz but I personally don't see how Ogerpon-Wellspring is that scary when you have 3 checks to it (Raging Bolt, Iron Valiant, and Serperior) on top of it having no way to come in safely. Also morning sun is the move of choice for obligatory recovery move on bulky Volcarona, you want some staying power on this thing especially since your HO lacks immediate power.

Roaring Moon is a bit scary but it's not like your checking Roaring Moon with Volcarona anyways because the original Volcarona was offensive. The added bulk on Volcarona will allow your Landorus to have greater staying power, and give you the option to check physical threats long term instead of short term. The Tera on the Volcarona can stay the same since forcing Slowking-Galar to Tera is very good since there's no way to prevent Toxic Spikes.
Providence (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast
- Morning Sun

:landorus-therian:
- You probably saw this coming but yes, a bulkier Landorus-Therian EV spread is something I'd do but only slightly lol. The speed EV's are to creep 301 speed Landorus-Therian, I'm not sure why this Landorus-Therian was previously max speed but the 28 Defense optimization may come in clutch (eventually).

I'd also use Tera-Water > Tera Dragon as well to not only resist Ice Spinner but to resist Darkrai Ice Beam too which is one of the teams biggest threats. As said before I don't think Tera-Dragon on Landorus-Therian for Ogerpon-Wellspring is that big a deal since you have so much counterplay to ogerpon-Wellspring already.
Earth (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- U-turn

:serperior:
The Last and final change I'd recommend is an emergency Tera-Poison on Serperior for Toxic Spikes. Incase there's Toxic Spikes on your side or if you know the opponent has Toxic Spikes on their team you can use Serperior to absorb them for Raging Bolt and Iron Valiant (and potentially Tera'd teammates). The new Tera typing still gives a Toxic immunity, and Poison resist for Serperior and it's not like Serperior desperately needs it's Tera on this team anyways.
Mistlestorm (Serperior) (F) @ Custap Berry
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Endure

Hopefully this helps :3 thanks for using a fellow grass type! https://pokepast.es/f5d727474d65184c :pmd/shaymin-sky:

Last edited:

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
Hello, your team is pretty cool and I like the Serperior pick! I have some slight adjustments that I think could help however :3

Weaknesses Overview: The main issue I found with the team, is that Landorus-Therian is so vital to the team for pivoting and defensive maneuvering that it dies pretty quickly. This over-reliance along with the set being very speedy, and no other decently bulky Pokemon on the team makes Landorus-Therians staying power pretty low. On top of that the team REALLY needs Landorus-Therian in order to work properly, so when it does die quickly its a big deal. Also in case you're confused, yes Hyper Offense doesn't *need* longevity like this, however in this case the team is not immediately offensively threatening enough to prevent offensive pressure on your side.

Hyper Offense likes to scare the opponent into making defensive switches or general defensive plays so even having 1 defensive anchor can do a whole lot, but your teams immediate threats aren't that scary compared to standard HO. The other issue is the team really struggles against Ice spinner + Earthquake coverage which is very common in the tier, whether it be Dragonite or Great Tusk. Toxic Spikes also decimates your team, however you have enough special attackers to not activate the Toxic Debris ability so it's really gonna be about preventing Slowking-Galar from clicking Toxic Spikes. Lastly Darkrai as you stated in your RMT OP outspeeds everything and kills everything (besides Booster Energy speed Iron Valian).

Set Changes

:volcarona:
- The major set change is a bulkier Volcarona EV spread along with Morning Sun > Bug Buzz. I know why you have Bug Buzz but I personally don't see how Ogerpon-Wellspring is that scary when you have 3 checks to it (Raging Bolt, Iron Valiant, and Serperior) on top of it having no way to come in safely. Also morning sun is the move of choice for obligatory recovery move on bulky Volcarona, you want some staying power on this thing especially since your HO lacks immediate power.

Roaring Moon is a bit scary but it's not like your checking Roaring Moon with Volcarona anyways because the original Volcarona was offensive. The added bulk on Volcarona will allow your Landorus to have greater staying power, and give you the option to check physical threats long term instead of short term. The Tera on the Volcarona can stay the same since forcing Slowking-Galar to Tera is very good since there's no way to prevent Toxic Spikes.
Providence (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast
- Morning Sun

:landorus-therian:
- You probably saw this coming but yes, a bulkier Landorus-Therian EV spread is something I'd do but only slightly lol. The speed EV's are to creep 301 speed Landorus-Therian, I'm not sure why this Landorus-Therian was previously max speed but the 28 Defense optimization may come in clutch (eventually).

I'd also use Tera-Water > Tera Dragon as well to not only resist Ice Spinner but to resist Darkrai Ice Beam too which is one of the teams biggest threats. As said before I don't think Tera-Dragon on Landorus-Therian for Ogerpon-Wellspring is that big a deal since you have so much counterplay to ogerpon-Wellspring already.
Earth (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- U-turn

:serperior:
The Last and final change I'd recommend is an emergency Tera-Poison on Serperior for Toxic Spikes. Incase there's Toxic Spikes on your side or if you know the opponent has Toxic Spikes on their team you can use Serperior to absorb them for Raging Bolt and Iron Valiant (and potentially Tera'd teammates). The new Tera typing still gives a Toxic immunity, and Poison resist for Serperior and it's not like Serperior desperately needs it's Tera on this team anyways.
Mistlestorm (Serperior) (F) @ Custap Berry
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare
- Endure

Hopefully this helps :3 thanks for using a fellow grass type! https://pokepast.es/f5d727474d65184c :pmd/shaymin-sky:
yoo thanks for the advice, i think all of these changes are valid but def depends on the MU. That's why I like this team so much, it's very customizable.

:volcarona: I tried bulky on this team (only a few games tbf so I could be wrong) but I preferred offensive since bulky volc tends to need to heal often which I wasn't a fan of. Tera ground especially isn't spectacular defensively so in practice it's harder to capitalize on bulky volc unless you change to fairy/dragon or something. I would rather just qd and get a few kills with a more offensive spread. This also helps for hitting :skeledirge: :slowking-galar: and :goodra-hisui: harder (serp hates these!). Although at the end of the day it's volc; any set works.

:landorus-therian: I chose max speed bcoz opposing taunt lando is so common nowadays, tera water can definitely be used and is probably better a lot of the time ngl. You said that the team is over-reliant on lando but I disagree, the team is so fast and offensive that you won't need to switch into a defensive mon a lot of the time, and whenever you do, you also have bolt, gambit, volc which are also fairly bulky for offense standards

:serperior: I've tried tera poison serp before on tspike weak teams and in practice it's really clunky. You need to tera your serp (big investment) then switch out and back in. On non-lefties serp especially this can be tough and you would get more value using a better defensive type. Also, I know this team looks really weak to tspike but 1) I have serp and lando for :glimmora: 2) Double taunt for rare manual tspikes. I definitely should've wrote this on the rmt but this team does not struggle against hazards in practice, partly because you can use their hazards to put serp into custap range.

Again, thx for taking your time to post this n u can definitely change like every single set from this team and it will still function. I'll probably change lando's tera tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)