Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Volcarona is super good in OU and unlikely broken. The only thing that isn’t predictable about it is its Tera type. The counter play to it can be standardised for any team structure:
  • Stall - blissey, clod, etc
  • Bulky - scout pivot (such as glowking) + a check or 2, and potentially back up tera’s
  • Balanced/hybrid - mixed checks, a responsive Tera, or offensive pressure, such as luring volc into sub 80% with mixed hasty/naive Kyurem that runs scale shot +3A
  • HO - HO needs a solution for every sweeper, usually it’s just out speeding and out pressuring

there’s always a catch to every Tera type.

for example, the most deadly one, Tera ground, invites aqua jet, ice shard and grassy glide counterplay. The most recently trendy one, Tera dragon, risks getting blanked by Primarina, tera fairy raging bolt, etc.

—-

When comparing Volcarona to other contentious pokemon:
  • the king of OU needs 3-4 ways of countering/checking it, and most of them need to be healthy when it’s at 3-5 allies fainted.
  • The raging clap has a ridiculously effective, although predictable Tera fairy that allows it to get past almost any offensive counterplay after it pulls down a threat. Although usually it comes at a cost since almost every team has anti-fairy counterplay now. It’s also impossible for it to deal with bulkier teams that can chip it if it’s not running HDB, as the booster sets only like coming in once, and it doesn’t open up teams the way that the following threat does;
  • Roaring knock off is very easy to check, especially with balloon steels, although it opens up holes in teams very efficiently, has a progress making knock off that puts the competition to shame and possible causes more pressure on counterplay than any other breaker right now
  • Water cudgel pon can’t really be checked by anything reliably, and it’s only flaws are weakness to everything faster than it, predictable Tera, and not being able to run HDB so it’s hazards-weak.
  • Kyuice beam is excellent at breaking checks if they have to keep coming in on ice attacks, eventually there is a freeze and then the well-crafted team that “counters” kyurem can’t really switch into it anymore.

Basically, in a vacuum these all sound broken, but in the current iteration of OU they’re fairly balanced by each other. Except I’m still hugely in favour of a kingambit ban rn , as I think it’ll open the floodgates.

Last edited:
for example, the most deadly one, Tera ground, invites aqua jet, ice shard and grassy glide counterplay. The most recently trendy one, Tera dragon, risks getting blanked by Primarina, tera fairy raging bolt, etc.
Completely agree. Volc is as deadly as it always was but compared to the first time it got banned, it feels like most of the most common team styles have multiple outs for its different teras. Does not feel as overbearing as in HOME, esp compared to other contentious things like Waterpon that take ~50% off a lot of mons if you let it attack

CB weavile is at 4% usage, it is not common at all. Yes, it does deinsentives triple axel, that is something that I will give you. However, volc still cannot switch into knock off, the move I would say is more threatening on weavile. Rocky helmet already somewhat deinsentivises triple axel with stuff like corv and lando-t (though lando is in no way surviving). Its a very poor stopgap in my opinion, yes, it resists the move, but it can't truly pivot around it by either applying pressure or getting in a teammate for mostly free.
Lets look at the mons that I said it couldn't beat: these are Valiant, Hatterene, Wellspring, Weavile, Primarina. (I said that kyurem it could potentially beat, but nothing wants to take a draco apart from fairy types)
Valiant: I said before that it beats sets apart from SD, so I'll exclusively talk about sd. It takes a cc, and maybe gets a flame body proc. If it doesn't, what can it do? It can threaten a fiery dance ko which will be devestating. However, if its at +2, valiant will always go for the knock, thats a straight up ko. Now you have to switch to something else, which will have to eat a huge hit and get its item removed. So it doesn't do much.
Hatterene: Volc pivots in, and if it wants to, tera grounds on the nuzzle. If can draw a psyshock, which is something you can easily play around. So there is something that it can do for hatterene.
Wellspring: It has to come in on either a play rough or a power whip. If it gets a flame body proc, then that's cool. It then draws an ivy cudgel, which you have to switch to a water resist. However, the main move it will be clicking is ivy cudgel, so you have to predict them using those moves. Something, but not a whole lot.
Weavile: The best of this list probably. If it switches into triple axel, it has a good chance to get a burn. If it doesn't, then it has to draw a knock off.
Primarina: You are drawing a surf, which while alright, isn't the best pivoting move. Most mons don't want to switch into a surf, for reference rilla takes 46% from it and raging bolt is three hit ko'd. Something, but I don't think that is the best.
So, for all of these, yes, volc does help a bit with them. However, its a poor stop gap. It has to predict correct in order to not get ko'd and then forces these mons into a really devestating move. The only one which is maybe right is hatterene, but hatterene is not much of a big deal.
I get that you are trying to say "it has more defensive utility than you say" but that defensive utility is limited. Again, rocky helmet is literally an item that does the same, but doesn't have to worry about chance.
Not sure how much weight pulling up various usage % or moveslot % stats have if volcarona isn't in 100% of your opponents teams either, js =s

The wheel for 2024 Ou Metagame thread has been updated. See you next year.

View attachment 623871
1.33 million battles in march isn't some sort of gotcha, it's the fourth-lowest number of battles in the history of sv. the only times the numbers were lower were:
  • april 2023 (the shed tail orthworm month)
  • may 2023 (the "home is coming out any day now" month)
  • august 2023 (the gambit suspect failing month)
for fairness' sake, there have been a couple times where that number's been only marginally higher:
  • july 2023 (the month where the gambit suspect started)
  • november 2023 (gliscor meta followed by sneasler meta, also right after olt ended)
these aren't numbers we should be celebrating, we should be concerned about this

Meta still seems to be rapidly adapting tilted down from 1800 to 1500 with a team that did really well during the Gouging Fire suspect. So waiting may be the move. As much I would want Volc gone, I think Shit Head-Kyurem would become even more broken than it is, so I wouldn’t vote to ban. But then again, when it comes to Kyu, you’re screwed anyway if it’s a dragon dance set.

As much I would want Volc gone, I think Shit Head-Kyurem would become even more broken than it is, so I wouldn’t vote to ban.
THEN VOTE BAN ON THE SUBSEQUENT KYUREM TEST! Do y'all not understand that this mentality of "well this mon is unhealthy for the game, but it checks this other unhealthy mon in the meta, so I'm voting DNB/we should wait" is what has gotten us to this point of stalemate in the first place?? It's been like this since the first Kingambit test and I just completely fail to understand it. It's fine if you think the meta is a healthy state now, you're entitled to your opinion. If you wish to see some tiering get done, waiting for a suspect on the one mon YOU think is broken just isn't going to work in a generation saturated with threats. And that goes for both offensive (volc, waterpon, rmoon, etc.) and defensive threats (gliscor, zamazenta, etc.).

In an ideal world we test booster or tera but alas....

Meta still seems to be rapidly adapting tilted down from 1800 to 1500 with a team that did really well during the Gouging Fire suspect. So waiting may be the move. As much I would want Volc gone, I think Shit Head-Kyurem would become even more broken than it is, so I wouldn’t vote to ban. But then again, when it comes to Kyu, you’re screwed anyway if it’s a dragon dance set.
bro are you serious

THEN VOTE BAN ON THE SUBSEQUENT KYUREM TEST! Do y'all not understand that this mentality of "well this mon is unhealthy for the game, but it checks this other unhealthy mon in the meta, so I'm voting DNB/we should wait" is what has gotten us to this point of stalemate in the first place?? It's been like this since the first Kingambit test and I just completely fail to understand it. It's fine if you think the meta is a healthy state now, you're entitled to your opinion. If you wish to see some tiering get done, waiting for a suspect on the one mon YOU think is broken just isn't going to work in a generation saturated with threats. And that goes for both offensive (volc, waterpon, rmoon, etc.) and defensive threats (gliscor, zamazenta, etc.).

In an ideal world we test booster or tera but alas....
I agree with you, but as evidenced by suspects, broken checks broken is the tiering policy the community prefers right now. The Kyurem test was recent and I am skeptical it would be up on the chopping block any time soon. I don’t really love the state of the meta (not THAT bad, just can get frustrating), but I think there’s too much gridlock to get anything done in the immediate future. So the best move may be to wait for pokemon to grasp the meta enough that everyone agrees action is needed. Also idk if I could even get reqs rn with the way I’ve been playing, I’m quite the streaky player.

Last edited:
Who invited Garg to the Stall function
garg is unequivocally a stallmon. massive defenses, status absorption, recovery, DEFENSE BOOSTING MOVES, passive damage, it's got the whole stallmon package. the fact that it finds itself on bo or balance more often than stall doesn't necessarily make it not a stallmon. now ting-lu and glowking being put there, on the other hand…

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
More Innovations & Concepts in SV OU

Note that a concept is something with promising feats on paper but not yet executed in a major ladder/tour game while innovations are proven to work.

Innovation
IMG_8862.png

Alomomola (Alomomola) @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Red Card
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Mirror Coat

Mirror Coat lures stuff like Darkrai, Hexpult, Kyurem, Enamorus, Deoxys, Moth, and Volcanion. Most of these matchup well vs Balance/Stall.
The spread allows Mola to tank one Specs Freeze Dry from Kyurem which is fucking absurd.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 428-506 (84.4 - 99.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It also lets you Flip Turn on Prima clicking CM or Sub to get in Encore Grasspon for example. This does hinder Mola’s ability to check physical threats and also can’t scout with Protect, but it does improve Mola’s weaker matchups.

Edit: Mirror Coat doesn’t work on Darkrai because its a Psychic type move. My bad.

Innovation
IMG_3239.png

Clefable (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave
- Wish/Moonlight
- Protect/Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Ice Beam/Encore

SpD Clef is one of the best Kyurem checks on Balance. If you played early Gen 8 OU, you’d know this. Its avoids a 2HKO from Specs Ice Beam after Lefties.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Boots (i.e the good Kyurem set) cannot even 3HKO Clef without Terastilizing.

252 SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 114-135 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It also helps check other threats like Specs Pult, Deo-S, Mixed Val, AoA Darkrai, etc. Wishtect is preferable on this since you have more longevity vs Balance/Stall while its recovery doesn’t get nuked by Glowking’s Chilly Reception. Since its Clef, you can customize it to fill whatever other role. Knock, Rocks, T-Wave, etc. It performs worse as a Knock absorber, but that can be compensated with partners like Corv or Mola.

Innovation
IMG_2526.png

Darkrai (Darkrai) @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Focus Sash/Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

Huge fan of Wisp on Darkrai. The best check to it is Zama who gets destroyed by burn while Wisp also cripples most of the same targets as Focus Miss. Drifting made a really cool Balance rmt featuring Amoonguss and Wisp Rai you can check out. The set variety on it is huge. There’s a million ways to build Darkrai. I’ve even toyed with shit like Tera Steel Sub-CM Wisp to further fuck with Balance teams.

Innovation
IMG_8870.png

Garganacl (Garganacl) @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Protect

What this set lacks as a special wall, it gets as a fat asf physical wall. Garg does have 100/130 physical bulk after all. Without Tera, this eats an unboosted Tera Water Wogre Cudgel after rocks, allowing you to trade and get off a Salt Cure more easily.

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garganacl: 296-352 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This set also improves your matchups with Moon, Gambit, Tusk, Gliscor, etc. Pre-Tera it doesn’t beat these outright, but it has an easier time landing a Salt Cure on them. With Tera it can 1v1 them, surviving even a +2 SO boosted Kowtow after rocks.

Concept
IMG_2467.png

Gliscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water/Fairy/Grass/Steel
EVs: 244 HP / 36 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Taunt

The first concept I’ll be showcasing. The idea with this set is it allows you to Knock or Toxic Fast Lando. Taunt shuts down Corv/Skarm and prevents Recovery or setup. This set might be a bit wack due to its worse bulk, but I believe Taunt should be explored more on Gliscor. It complements Gliscor’s gameplan of setting hazards, breaking down Balance with SD, or forcing progress with Knock + Toxic while stopping Clef/Skarm/Corv from clicking their recovery moves.

Innovation
IMG_3118.png

Iron Crown (Iron Crown) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Tachyon Cutter
- Future Sight/Psyshock/Psychic Noise
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Fun set that lets you pick off kills on teams expecting the standard AV sets. Tera Steel nukes everything besides Blissey with a 3HKO or 2HKO.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 224-268 (48.3 - 57.8%) -- approx. 94.5% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- approx. 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 136-162 (33 - 39.4%) -- approx. 99.9% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 200-236 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- approx. 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Slowking-Galar: 216-256 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 180-212 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- approx. 82.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Cinderace: 200-236 (56 - 66.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 196-232 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- approx. 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 170-202 (44.9 - 53.4%) -- approx. 31.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 150-178 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- approx. 3HKO

You could force Glowking to Tera Water, which opens up Raging Bolt, Primarina, or SD Valiant.

Outside of spamming Tachyon, Psychic Noise rips apart Corv, 2HKOs Volc, 2HKOs Mola, 1v1s Dirge, and acts as a turn 1 Taunt that only prevents healing moves. Psyshock 2HKOs Blissey and Glowking, forcing the former to Tera Dark. Volt Switch trucks Corv while letting it pivot. I find that it pairs incredibly well with other breakers like Primarina or cleaners like Bolt, Pult, or Volc.

Innovation
IMG_8913.png

Iron Treads (Iron Treads) @ Booster Energy/Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Spinner/Stealth Rock

Endeavor allows Treads to cripple something before dying. It good for avoiding being a sitting duck vs Balance or Stall.

Concept
IMG_5482.png

Kingambit (Kingambit) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Wave

Gimmicky, but T-Wave can cripple checks like Samu, Corv, Dozo, and Zama. With support to lure or cripple Tusk like Future Sight, it might work, but I see no reason not to just run standard sets with Future Sight.

Innovation
IMG_0688.png

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Poison/Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Setsu posted a team from me on TotW featuring Thundy and also SpD Lando, with a spread built to outrun Modest Bolt and Volcanion. SpD Lando is a SS OU classic that has some merit in this meta while still checking physical threats thanks to Intimidate, but I decided to go full SpD. It avoids a 2HKO from Val Moonblast at full, avoid an OHKO from +1 Rbolt Pulse after rocks, lives Specs Pult’s Draco after rocks, and even Prima’s Surf after rocks. Rock Tomb is a nice midground for Moon while threatening an OHKO on Volc and removing Valiant’s speed boost. The big appeal with this set however is its ability to check the moths. Fiery Dance from Iron Moth is a 4HKO with max SpD, and Lando threatens with either EQ or Rock Tomb while surviving the second Fiery Dance after a boost. As for Volc, EQ does huge damage to offensive sets or threatens an OHKO with Rock Tomb. EQ also 2HKOs Bulkarona while avoiding a 2HKO from +1 Fiery Dance after rocks. Tera Water makes it a more consistent check. The only sets it doesn’t beat are Tera Grass and Wisp Volc which can be handled by its teammates. I still think Volc is broken, but SpD Lando is one way to deal with it.

Concept
IMG_8896.png

Ogerpon (Ogerpon) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 132 Atk / 120 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off
- Encore/Spikes
- U-turn

The EV spread outspeeds Kyurem while 132+ Atk is the same as max Atk Jolly. The 120 Dfse EVs allows Grasspon to tank any hit from +5 SO Gambit at full besides Black Glasses or Tera Dark, making it Gambit endgame easier with Encore.

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Ogerpon: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This spread also lives any hit from Wogre after a Swords Dance.

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Ogerpon: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Spikes is a cute option with Ghold to block Corv Defog. I am interested in seeing how this set will do in practice.

Innovation
IMG_2482.png

Raging Bolt (Raging Bolt) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderclap
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Specs Bolt is cool. Turning it from a cleaner to a breaker. This set was used on a team hand crafted by vkhss and Fusien that’s also a sample. Draco becomes an absolute nuke. OHKOs Lando, Tusk, and Gliscor. It even 2HKOs Clod and Glowking. Only Ting-Lu and Blissey survive a 2HKO, but the former is easy to wear down while the latter is exclusive to Stall. It might be prediction reliant vs Fairy + Ground cores, especially if Glowking or Tect spam is involved, but they could be played around.

Innovation
IMG_8878.png

Rillaboom (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass/Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off/Tera Blast
- Drain Punch/Wood Hammer/High Horsepower

Rillaboom is one of my favorite mons rn and I’ll make a post about it in the future. It provides amazing speed control, and makes progress with Knock, U-Turn, and Wood Hammer while providing the team with passive recovery. SD Rilla is gas. +2 LO Glide with Tera has a shot at OHKOing offensive Cinder and Pult. Tera Grass LO Wood Hammer + Glide also outright wins vs Ironpress Zama as it switches in which is kinda cracked.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +3 84 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 273-322 (78.9 - 93%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. +3 84 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 127-151 (36.7 - 43.6%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

Tera Fire Blast is an option to nuke Corv who’s often the only Rilla check on Balance while also avoiding burns and flipping the Kyu/Weav/Volc matchup. Considering you hit every Ground and Water type with your busted Grass STAB, this is a good trade off. If Heatran is annoying you, you could tech Drain Punch or High Horsepower. Lum Berry also beats Pult leads and lets you setup SD on Gliscor.

Innovation
IMG_4650.png

Samurott (Samurott-Hisui) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Water/Dark/Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Razor Shell
- Swords Dance
- Encore/Sucker Punch/Aqua Jet

I fell in love with SD Samu recently which is great at setting Spikes and keeping them up. It directly beats Tusk since most of them these days are dropping CC for other options like Knock, Bulk Up, Rocks, etc.

IMG_4163.jpeg

Lum is particularly brutal vs Balance. Lets you get off Spikes or an SD in front of Mola without worrying about a burn. It also punishes assholes like Gliscor who love to randomly stay in on Samu and click Toxic or punish Wisp from Pult, Dirge, Cinder. Encore is broken on this and also Wogre. It punishes Dozo from clicking Curse or Rest and punishes Skarm/Corv for clicking ID or Roost. Also its Gambit insurane.

Alternatively, Aqua Jet or Sucker can be run to pick off faster threats like Darkrai, Valiant, Pult, Wogre, Weavile and Kyurem. Aqua Jet also prevents Cinderace from removing your hardwork with Court Change. You could pick any one of these Teras. Tera Water to one-shot Clef after an SD and eliminate your BP weakness, Tera Dark to guarantee a 2HKO on Mola and allow +2 Sucker to OHKO Wogre and Rilla after rocks. Tera Ghost lets it spinblock while Encoring Zama and Corv.

Wogre is the better offensive Water, but Samu is better at breaking Balance/Stall. Fat teams are teching Tera Grass, Sinistcha, or Amoonguss to handle Wogre. There’s no Tera to handle Samu Water/Dark STAB has no resists besides Prim who eats big damage from Spikes, frail ahh Meow who only switches in once, and Wo-Chien who’s Stall exclusive. Plus Samu can tech items like Boots to negate hazard damage or Lum for status. Samu enables other threats like Rilla, Zama, and Gambit on BO.

Innovation
IMG_2486.png

Serperior (Serperior) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fire/Steel
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Glare
- Endure

Serperiorr shared this cool set. The original team and Dpulse on Serp, but I prefer Knock to remove Boots from Blissey or Glowking. Custap + Endure allows Serp to trade 1-to-1 with offense for a Glare or cheeky kill. This is similar to how Thundy-I plays, with less offensive oomph but with the ability to para everything that isn’t Ghold, Garg, or Gliscor.

Concept
IMG_5278.png

Scizor (Scizor) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Water/Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Tera Blast/Close Combat/Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn

I mentioned this set before. In a nutshell, it allows BO builds to pivot around Fairies, Ghold, Darkrai, Kyurem, Prima, and Ghold while providing utility with priority, Knock, and U-Turn. Tera Water is an option to flip the matchup with Fire types and bulky Grounds while letting it 2HKO them with Tera Blast. Pretty neat if your gameplan revolves around eliminating/luring them. Tera Steel jacks up Bullet Punch. Close Combat smacks Gambit and Heatran. Dual Wingbeat with Technician is a base 120 Flying move that 2HKOs Tusk and the rare Amoonguss. I and I am considering just going max Attack Adamant.

Innovation
IMG_8920.png

Tyranitar (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Low Kick

First of all, I’m not a believer in Sand. I’d rather use Ttar for its wallbreaking potential than to run it with Drill. Adamant CB Ttar boasts the strongest Knock Off in OU, only eclipsed by CB Moon under Sun.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 186-220 (46.5 - 55%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 226-267 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think there is no better time for CB Ttar to find its footing rn. Balance is one of the best styles rn and Ttar can still break them. Slow pivots like Mola and Glowking can easily bring it in. Plus the Sand chip helps further with chipping down non-Ground/Rock/Steel types, especially Zama who hates eating Knock + Sand chip. The classic combo Future Sight + CB Tar also punishes Gliscor without needing to predict with Ice Punch. Tera Rock Stone Edge 2HKOs Mola/Dozo, no hazards needed.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Rock Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 240-284 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Rock Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 306-360 (57.3 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Ttar’s 61 Speed tier comes in clutch with outpacing Primarina and Gambit, which is important as it threatens a KO on both.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 352-415 (109.6 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 628-740 (159.3 - 187.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Imo this pairs well with Gambit despite the stacked weaknesses since it cripples many of Gambit’s checks. The Fighting and Ground weaknesses can be circumvented with any solid Ground immune or Fairy like Enamorus who’s also a Ground immune.

Concept
IMG_2434.png

Volcarona (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Water/Steel/Ground
EVs: 160 HP / 196 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Whirlwind
- Morning Sun

Idk if it was me or Tio Chico who came up with this, but this set takes a page out of Roar Zama’s book by potentially letting you beat opposing CM sweepers besides Hatt and Volc while racking up Spikes damage. Whirlwind also prevents Dnite from 1v1ing you and beats Ting-Lu. I’m being looking to test it, but I’ve been having trouble fitting it plus Spikes. The lack of coverage hurts as well.

Last edited:

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
someone look into meloetta P I feel like it would be pretty decent if supported correctly but I suck at pokemon
Its just a worse ZamaH/Physical Iron Valiant that has a useless moveslot and secondary typing that requires a turn to even exist.

More Innovations & Concepts in SV OU

Note that a concept is something with promising feats on paper but not yet executed in a major ladder/tour game while innovations are proven to work.

Innovation
View attachment 623883
Alomomola (Alomomola) @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Red Card
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Mirror Coat

Mirror Coat lures stuff like Darkrai, Hexpult, Kyurem, Enamorus, Deoxys, Moth, and Volcanion. Most of these matchup well vs Balance/Stall.
The spread allows Mola to tank one Specs Freeze Dry from Kyurem which is fucking absurd.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 428-506 (84.4 - 99.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It also lets you Flip Turn on Prima clicking CM or Sub to get in Encore Grasspon for example. This does hinder Mola’s ability to check physical threats and also can’t scout with Protect, but it does improve Mola’s weaker matchups.

Innovation
View attachment 623884
Clefable (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave
- Wish/Moonlight
- Protect/Knock Off/Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Ice Beam/Encore

SpD Clef is one of the best Kyurem checks on Balance. If you played early Gen 8 OU, you’d know this. Its avoids a 2HKO from Specs Ice Beam after Lefties.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Boots (i.e the good Kyurem set) cannot even 3HKO Clef without Terastilizing.

252 SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 114-135 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It also helps check other threats like Specs Pult, Deo-S, Mixed Val, AoA Darkrai, etc. Wishtect is preferable on this since you have more longevity vs Balance/Stall while its recovery doesn’t get nuked by Glowking’s Chilly Reception. Since its Clef, you can customize it to fill whatever other role. Knock, Rocks, T-Wave, etc. It performs worse as a Knock absorber, but that can be compensated with partners like Corv or Mola.

Innovation
View attachment 623885
Darkrai (Darkrai) @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Focus Sash/Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

Huge fan of Wisp on Darkrai. The best check to it is Zama who gets destroyed by burn while Wisp also cripples most of the same targets as Focus Miss. Drifting made a really cool Balance rmt featuring Amoonguss and Wisp Rai you can check out. The set variety on it is huge. There’s a million ways to build Darkrai. I’ve even toyed with shit like Tera Steel Sub-CM Wisp to further fuck with Balance teams.

Innovation
View attachment 623886
Garganacl (Garganacl) @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Protect

What this set lacks as a special wall, it gets as a fat asf physical wall. Garg does have 100/130 physical bulk after all. Without Tera, this eats an unboosted Tera Water Wogre Cudgel after rocks, allowing you to trade and get off a Salt Cure more easily.

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garganacl: 296-352 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This set also improves your matchups with Moon, Gambit, Tusk, Gliscor, etc. Pre-Tera it doesn’t beat these outright, but it has an easier time landing a Salt Cure on them. With Tera it can 1v1 them, surviving even a +2 SO boosted Kowtow after rocks.

Concept
View attachment 623887
Gliscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water/Fairy/Grass/Steel
EVs: 244 HP / 36 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Taunt

The first concept I’ll be showcasing. The idea with this set is it allows you to Knock or Toxic Fast Lando. Taunt shuts down Corv/Skarm and prevents Recovery or setup. This set might be a bit wack due to its worse bulk, but I believe Taunt should be explored more on Gliscor. It complements Gliscor’s gameplan of setting hazards, breaking down Balance with SD, or forcing progress with Knock + Toxic while stopping Clef/Skarm/Corv from clicking their recovery moves.

Innovation
View attachment 623888
Iron Crown (Iron Crown) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
- Tachyon Cutter
- Future Sight/Psyshock/Psychic Noise
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Fun set that lets you pick off kills on teams expecting the standard AV sets. Tera Steel nukes everything besides Blissey with a 3HKO or 2HKO.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 224-268 (48.3 - 57.8%) -- approx. 94.5% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- approx. 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 136-162 (33 - 39.4%) -- approx. 99.9% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 200-236 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- approx. 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Slowking-Galar: 216-256 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 180-212 (44.6 - 52.6%) -- approx. 82.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Cinderace: 200-236 (56 - 66.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Alomomola: 196-232 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- approx. 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gholdengo: 170-202 (44.9 - 53.4%) -- approx. 31.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 150-178 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- approx. 3HKO

You could force Glowking to Tera Water, which opens up Raging Bolt, Primarina, or SD Valiant.

Outside of spamming Tachyon, Psychic Noise rips apart Corv, 2HKOs Volc, 2HKOs Mola, 1v1s Dirge, and acts as a turn 1 Taunt that only prevents healing moves. Psyshock 2HKOs Blissey and Glowking, forcing the former to Tera Dark. Volt Switch trucks Corv while letting it pivot. I find that it pairs incredibly well with other breakers like Primarina or cleaners like Bolt, Pult, or Volc.

Innovation
View attachment 623889
Iron Treads (Iron Treads) @ Booster Energy/Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Spinner/Stealth Rock

Endeavor allows Treads to cripple something before dying. It good for avoiding being a sitting duck vs Balance or Stall.

Concept
View attachment 623890
Kingambit (Kingambit) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Wave

Gimmicky, but T-Wave can cripple checks like Samu, Corv, Dozo, and Zama. With support to lure or cripple Tusk like Future Sight, it might work, but I see no reason not to just run standard sets with Future Sight.

Innovation
View attachment 623891
Landorus (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Poison/Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Setsu posted a team from me on TotW featuring Thundy and also SpD Lando, with a spread built to outrun Modest Bolt and Volcanion. SpD Lando is a SS OU classic that has some merit in this meta while still checking physical threats thanks to Intimidate, but I decided to go full SpD. It avoids a 2HKO from Val Moonblast at full, avoid an OHKO from +1 Rbolt Pulse after rocks, lives Specs Pult’s Draco after rocks, and even Prima’s Surf after rocks. Rock Tomb is a nice midground for Moon while threatening an OHKO on Volc and removing Valiant’s speed boost. The big appeal with this set however is its ability to check the moths. Fiery Dance from Iron Moth is a 4HKO with max SpD, and Lando threatens with either EQ or Rock Tomb while surviving the second Fiery Dance after a boost. As for Volc, EQ does huge damage to offensive sets or threatens an OHKO with Rock Tomb. EQ also 2HKOs Bulkarona while avoiding a 2HKO from +1 Fiery Dance after rocks. Tera Water makes it a more consistent check. The only sets it doesn’t beat are Tera Grass and Wisp Volc which can be handled by its teammates. I still think Volc is broken, but SpD Lando is one way to deal with it.

Concept
View attachment 623892
Ogerpon (Ogerpon) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 132 Atk / 120 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off
- Encore/Spikes
- U-turn

The EV spread outspeeds Kyurem while 132+ Atk is the same as max Atk Jolly. The 120 Dfse EVs allows Grasspon to tank any hit from +5 SO Gambit at full besides Black Glasses or Tera Dark, making it Gambit endgame easier with Encore.

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Ogerpon: 237-279 (78.7 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This spread also lives any hit from Wogre after a Swords Dance.

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Ogerpon: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Spikes is a cute option with Ghold to block Corv Defog. I am interested in seeing how this set will do in practice.

Innovation
View attachment 623894
Raging Bolt (Raging Bolt) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
Modest Nature
- Thunderclap
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Specs Bolt is cool. Turning it from a cleaner to a breaker. This set was used on a team hand crafted by vkhss and Fusien that’s also a sample. Draco becomes an absolute nuke. OHKOs Lando, Tusk, and Gliscor. It even 2HKOs Clod and Glowking. Only Ting-Lu and Blissey survive a 2HKO, but the former is easy to wear down while the latter is exclusive to Stall. It might be prediction reliant vs Fairy + Ground cores, especially if Glowking or Tect spam is involved, but they could be played around.

Innovation
View attachment 623895
Rillaboom (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass/Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off/Tera Blast
- Drain Punch/Wood Hammer/High Horsepower

Rillaboom is one of my favorite mons rn and I’ll make a post about it in the future. It provides amazing speed control, and makes progress with Knock, U-Turn, and Wood Hammer while providing the team with passive recovery. SD Rilla is gas. +2 LO Glide with Tera has a shot at OHKOing offensive Cinder and Pult. Tera Grass LO Wood Hammer + Glide also outright wins vs Ironpress Zama as it switches in which is kinda cracked.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +3 84 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 273-322 (78.9 - 93%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. +3 84 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 127-151 (36.7 - 43.6%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

Tera Fire Blast is an option to nuke Corv who’s often the only Rilla check on Balance while also avoiding burns and flipping the Kyu/Weav/Volc matchup. Considering you hit every Ground and Water type with your busted Grass STAB, this is a good trade off. If Heatran is annoying you, you could tech Drain Punch or High Horsepower. Lum Berry also beats Pult leads and lets you setup SD on Gliscor.

Innovation
View attachment 623896
Samurott (Samurott-Hisui) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Water/Dark/Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Razor Shell
- Swords Dance
- Encore/Sucker Punch/Aqua Jet

I fell in love with SD Samu recently which is great at setting Spikes and keeping them up. It directly beats Tusk since most of them these days are dropping CC for other options like Knock, Bulk Up, Rocks, etc.

View attachment 623901

Lum is particularly brutal vs Balance. Lets you get off Spikes or an SD in front of Mola without worrying about a burn. It also punishes assholes like Gliscor who love to randomly stay in on Samu and click Toxic or punish Wisp from Pult, Dirge, Cinder. Encore is broken on this and also Wogre. It punishes Dozo from clicking Curse or Rest and punishes Skarm/Corv for clicking ID or Roost. Also its Gambit insurane.

Alternatively, Aqua Jet or Sucker can be run to pick off faster threats like Darkrai, Valiant, Pult, Wogre, Weavile and Kyurem. Aqua Jet also prevents Cinderace from removing your hardwork with Court Change. You could pick any one of these Teras. Tera Water to one-shot Clef after an SD and eliminate your BP weakness, Tera Dark to guarantee a 2HKO on Mola and allow +2 Sucker to OHKO Wogre and Rilla after rocks. Tera Ghost lets it spinblock while Encoring Zama and Corv.

Wogre is the better offensive Water, but Samu is better at breaking Balance/Stall. Fat teams are teching Tera Grass, Sinistcha, or Amoonguss to handle Wogre. There’s no Tera to handle Samu Water/Dark STAB has no resists besides Prim who eats big damage from Spikes, frail ahh Meow who only switches in once, and Wo-Chien who’s Stall exclusive. Plus Samu can tech items like Boots to negate hazard damage or Lum for status. Samu enables other threats like Rilla, Zama, and Gambit on BO.

Innovation
View attachment 623897
Serperior (Serperior) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fire/Steel
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Glare
- Endure

Serperiorr shared this cool set. The original team and Dpulse on Serp, but I prefer Knock to remove Boots from Blissey or Glowking. Custap + Endure allows Serp to trade 1-to-1 with offense for a Glare or cheeky kill. This is similar to how Thundy-I plays, with less offensive oomph but with the ability to para everything that isn’t Ghold, Garg, or Gliscor.

Concept
View attachment 623898
Scizor (Scizor) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Water/Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Tera Blast/Close Combat/Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn

I mentioned this set before. In a nutshell, it allows BO builds to pivot around Fairies, Ghold, Darkrai, Kyurem, Prima, and Ghold while providing utility with priority, Knock, and U-Turn. Tera Water is an option to flip the matchup with Fire types and bulky Grounds while letting it 2HKO them with Tera Blast. Pretty neat if your gameplan revolves around eliminating/luring them. Tera Steel jacks up Bullet Punch. Close Combat smacks Gambit and Heatran. Dual Wingbeat with Technician is a base 120 Flying move that 2HKOs Tusk and the rare Amoonguss. I and I am considering just going max Attack Adamant.

Innovation
View attachment 623899
Tyranitar (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Low Kick

First of all, I’m not a believer in Sand. I’d rather use Ttar for its wallbreaking potential than to run it with Drill. Adamant CB Ttar boasts the strongest Knock Off in OU, only eclipsed by CB Moon under Sun.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 186-220 (46.5 - 55%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 226-267 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think there is no better time for CB Ttar to find its footing rn. Balance is one of the best styles rn and Ttar can still break them. Slow pivots like Mola and Glowking can easily bring it in. Plus the Sand chip helps further with chipping down non-Ground/Rock/Steel types, especially Zama who hates eating Knock + Sand chip. The classic combo Future Sight + CB Tar also punishes Gliscor without needing to predict with Ice Punch. Tera Rock Stone Edge 2HKOs Mola/Dozo, no hazards needed.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Rock Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 240-284 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Rock Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 306-360 (57.3 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Ttar’s 61 Speed tier comes in clutch with outpacing Primarina and Gambit, which is important as it threatens a KO on both.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 352-415 (109.6 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 628-740 (159.3 - 187.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Imo this pairs well with Gambit despite the stacked weaknesses since it cripples many of Gambit’s checks. The Fighting and Ground weaknesses can be circumvented with any solid Ground immune or Fairy like Enamorus who’s also a Ground immune.

Concept
View attachment 623900
Volcarona (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Water/Steel/Ground
EVs: 160 HP / 196 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Whirlwind
- Morning Sun

Idk if it was me or Tio Chico who came up with this, but this set takes a page out of Roar Zama’s book by potentially letting you beat opposing CM sweepers besides Hatt and Volc while racking up Spikes damage. Whirlwind also prevents Dnite from 1v1ing you and beats Ting-Lu. I’m being looking to test it, but I’ve been having trouble fitting it plus Spikes. The lack of coverage hurts as well.
Do you have an example of a balance team that uses some of these mons? Or one that works right now?

garg is unequivocally a stallmon. massive defenses, status absorption, recovery, DEFENSE BOOSTING MOVES, passive damage, it's got the whole stallmon package. the fact that it finds itself on bo or balance more often than stall doesn't necessarily make it not a stallmon. now ting-lu and glowking being put there, on the other hand…
Garg is a "stallmon," I'll give you that, but it doesn't really fit on Stall teams. Garg you'll see a hell of a lot more on BO or Balance because those archetypes don't have negative synergy with a mon that wants to Tera in most (certainly over half) its games. And being a Tera Sink sucks balls when Stall wants all 6 of their mons to be able to Tera in different matches to cover as many threats as possible. Your team gets significantly weaker when Garg Teras, like Gambit Tera Darks and you want to Tera Fighting your Dozo or you need to Tera Dark Clod to take a Psychic move, but you can't because Garg went Tera Fairy earlier into the match to stay alive and you just lose. The opportunity cost of running a mon that is such a Tera hog is way too high to justify on a stall team when you are playing 150+ turn games you don't want redundancies that also force your Tera, just run something that doesn't need to Tera every time.

It's a stallmon in a vacuum but doesn't really work on stall teams.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but as evidenced by suspects, broken checks broken is the tiering policy the community prefers right now. The Kyurem test was recent and I am skeptical it would be up on the chopping block any time soon. I don’t really love the state of the meta (not THAT bad, just can get frustrating), but I think there’s too much gridlock to get anything done in the immediate future. So the best move may be to wait for pokemon to grasp the meta enough that everyone agrees action is needed. Also idk if I could even get reqs rn with the way I’ve been playing, I’m quite the streaky player.
But if Broken is checking Broken per this description, shouldn't that be more reason to vote ban on Volcarona who you already said you'd want to see go if not for checking Kyurem, which you also think is bad? Like if we're at a hypothetical deadlock of busted mons checking other busted mons, removing one would theoretically lead to a much stronger case for the ones they were checking in the subsequent meta (EX: If we remove Volc, Kyurem loses a common check and suddenly that 58% becomes a 70%).

Some people have this logic for checking mons that they think are extremely strong but not banworthy (like Kingambit as a Ghost check for Gholdengo and Dragapult), but if you think Volc and Kyurem are both unhealthy, it follows to remove Volc even if you think it's the less pressing of the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 258)