SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Sorry to open another can of worms, but is it known whether all moves made the transition? Granted, few would notice if obscure moves such as Mud Sport, Rototiller, or Gear Up were removed, but knowing they weren't there would make the game feel a little less substantial.
Similar question: do we know for sure if all relevant items, such as choice items life orb lefties etc, will be present?

In 7th gen OU there are around 100 Pokemon with viable niches. Then you need to consider the fun of casual gimmicks. Cutting Pokemon does not make a metagame better. Advance OU only had 27 Pokemon in it so I guess we can look forward to a nice boring centralized meta full of the same two dozen mons trying to avoid getting swept by a Dynamax. Gen 8 looks like garbage.

You also talk as though OU is the only way to play. UU and probably RU will make a return but most likely Ubers, NU, and PU are all dead this gen.

You mean... a national dex?
You talk as if current gen is the only way to play. If 800+ pokemon are so important to you, you can play on the numerous older-generation ladders or the proposed national-dex OU. Remember that smogon tiers are entirely contrived; lower tiers only exist because the pokedex had expanded to the point that there are 400+ garbage (from a competitive perspective) pokemon. There was a LOT of cruft in the full set of pokemon available in gen 7.

On a less competitive note, since we have visuals of all the new mons bar their gigantamax forms (and any other secret form changes?) and supposed (though not confirmed) lists of their typings, we can get a pretty good idea of what our in-game teams might look like.

What is everyone thinking so far?

Currently, it's looking like I will aim for an endgame team of Intelleon, Grapploct, Corviknight, G-Weezing, Frosmoth, and Dragapult.

Along the way I will certainly try out Cursola, Runerigus, and probably also Aegislash in rotation for Dragapult's slot since it 's likely to be late game, and I might try Centiskorch for Frosmoth's slot.
After the fun I had making extensive use of the Mobile PC in Let's Go, I'm going with a similar formula here.

That means a rotating team composed of:
- Intelleon
- Corviknight
- Drednaw
- Coalossal (depends - I feel it will evolve by trading)
- Appletun (or maybe Flapple if it's a branched evolution)
- Sirfetch'd
- Cramorant
- Toxtricity
- Sandaconda
- Duraludon
- Dracozolt (depends on potential exclusivity)
- Arctozolt (depends on potential exclusivity)
- Dragapult
- Eternatus (if it can be caught before the post-game)

LIST OF USUM OU VIABILITY STILL AVAILABLE:
S: Toxapex
A+: Ferrothorn
A: Rotom-W A-: Clefable, Pelipper, Reuniclus, Tyranitar, excadril
B+: Gastrodon, Weavile
B: Gyarados, Hawlucha, Hippowdon, Hydreigon
B-: Ditto, Kommo-o, Mamoswine, Pyukumuku, Quagsire
C+: Bisharp
C: Crawdaunt, Gengar, Mantine, Mimykyu
C-: Araquanid, Avalugg, Ribombee, Seismetoad

OU is gonna be a lotttt different to say the least. One thing I see is that sand is prolly going to be quite powerful since exca, Ttar, and hippo are all still around.

This is a perfect Roman Phalanx.

Btw, Zacian is Fairy, Zamazenta is fighting and both get the Steel Typing when sword/shield is equipped. Is that right?

Based on the types, which one would be better competitively?
So the sword and shield are items that can be attached?

What is everyone thinking so far?

Cinderace, Corviknight, Copperajah, Sirfetch'd and two of Centiskorch, Coalossal, Dragapult and Longcat G-Max Meowth, depending on version exclusivity, how late in the game they are and whether or not they're trade evos. And yes, I know I'll probably end up with three Fire-types. My Moon team had three Ghost-types. *shrugs*

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to understand exactly why 400 is a low number. We've had several generations with less than that. Sure, it's been a while, but other than the lower metagames, how many of the 800+ Pokémon were really viable? I'd rather have a balanced metagame with 400 mon than a bloated one full of fillers.

That said, every game since GS has an expanded post-game Dex, so i wouldn't be surprised if the 600+ becomes kinda true.
That is just the thing. OU wasn't bloated with filler mons. They were in lower tiers. With 400+ mons alone in the entire game, entire communities here on Smogon are just gonna vanish. Can Ubers be considered a tier anymore, with reasonably only 4 mons naturally inhabiting it and no AG because of Mega Rayquaza's disappearance? PU and ZU is dead and maybe other tiers too. What about the years invested into those communities? Heck, the leaders / moderators are just gonna exist now?

The only way I can see mons being in the game past the 400 number is if some are locked behind Max Raids and can’t be seen otherwise. But we won’t know that till the datamine comes out.

LIST OF USUM OU VIABILITY STILL AVAILABLE:
S: Toxapex
A+: Ferrothorn
A: Rotom-W A-: Clefable, Pelipper, Reuniclus, Tyranitar, excadril
B+: Gastrodon, Weavile
B: Gyarados, Hawlucha, Hippowdon, Hydreigon
B-: Ditto, Kommo-o, Mamoswine, Pyukumuku, Quagsire
C+: Bisharp
C: Crawdaunt, Gengar, Mantine, Mimykyu
C-: Araquanid, Avalugg, Ribombee, Seismetoad

OU is gonna be a lotttt different to say the least. One thing I see is that sand is prolly going to be quite powerful since exca, Ttar, and hippo are all still around.
Didn't PS! confirm that they would be doing a "national dex" format?

You all are doing thoughts about what we know until now of Pokemon, but, now we have this Dynamax versions. How do you think that it will affect to the meta or your thoughts?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
That is just the thing. OU wasn't bloated with filler mons. They were in lower tiers. With 400+ mons alone in the entire game, entire communities here on Smogon are just gonna vanish. Can Ubers be considered a tier anymore, with reasonably only 4 mons naturally inhabiting it and no AG because of Mega Rayquaza's disappearance? PU and ZU is dead and maybe other tiers too. What about the years invested into those communities? Heck, the leaders / moderators are just gonna exist now?
An Ubers tier will exist regardless of the actual amount of mons, we have 6 just about confirmed (legendary trio, aegis, shadow taggers) and there will inevitably be some OU bans. Just look to older tier gens to see how they form. AG would still exist as a no clause tier

also, gen 3, the most comparable gen, has a ZU and PU. They’re wacky, but they exist. At worst these formats will lose tournament representation but they won’t cease to exist

Again, smogon is not beholden to the decisions of gamefreak. Smogon tiers and rulesets are themselves arbitrary definitions not found in the base games. If a 400 pokemon game is going to be as disruptive to the community as you say, then there is no reason to maintain the same restriction on the total number of pokemon available.

Personally, I think it is great that they are cutting the number of pokemon down. There was a ton of filler pokemon that were both bad competitievly and uninteresting from a design perspective. If you look at actual usage stats, you'll see that OU is by far the most popular tier, and orders of magnitude above the next closest of UU and Ubers. Aggregate usage of the lowers tiers is barely equal to that of UU, which is itself ~8 times less than that of OU. Doesn't make much sense to support tiers that are ultra niche and that won't even be replicable on cartridge.

I'd like to understand exactly why 400 is a low number. We've had several generations with less than that. Sure, it's been a while, but other than the lower metagames, how many of the 800+ Pokémon were really viable? I'd rather have a balanced metagame with 400 mon than a bloated one full of fillers.

That said, every game since GS has an expanded post-game Dex, so i wouldn't be surprised if the 600+ becomes kinda true.
Can’t speak for everyone, but for me, it’s a bit underwhelming since we more or less saw every returning mon before the leak. It just gave me an expectation that if they are willing to show such diversity, there’ll be more to discover. Instead, the only thing that wasn’t shown were Galarian forms and Galar mons. 400 isn’t a bad number, just one below expectation.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So nothing new has popped up since? Good, I could just make some comments:

Once pokemon home gets out you’ll be able to transfer a first impression farfetchd up to breed
"I'm sorry, you cannot transfer this Farfetch'd into Pokemon HOME because it has an illegal move(s): First Impression. If you continue trying to transfer this Pokemon the illegal move(s) will be deleted. Continue this Pokemon's transfer into Pokemon HOME?"

In all seriousness I like the vastly lower power level of this dex. It’s just a shame that they didn’t take advantage of the opportunity to get rid of Toxapex for the sake of making 6v6 singles a format worth bothering to play
Is there a way they could nerf Toxapex without changing its stats, like what if they replaced Recover with Aqua Ring? If the problem is Baneful Bunker, make it only affect moves that make Contact (that way Earthquake and Special Psychic-type moves will still affect it)?

Looks like there is no chance of seeing chansey.

For what it's worth, a lot of other bulky pokemon got the boot. Chansey (and Blissey ig), Alomomola, Tangrowth, Celesteela, Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno for pressure stall, Slowbro/Slowking, Skarmory, Suicune, Gliscor, Porygon2, Cresselia, (Bulky) Heatran, Amoonguss and Chesnaught will all not be returning, so that's so many bulky mons we don't have to deal with. Oh and lol pex will probs get banned anyway it's near unbreakable now with the lower power level
GF never did like stall with VGC.

Ok so for anyone interested I did a little synposis of what the leaked dex (assuming it is correct) would mean for the new overused metagame.

1) A chart of important/relevant/semi-relevant pokemon that will NOT BE SEEN in gen8ou (ubers arent playable as well)

If the leaks stay true then we will miss an absolutely vast amount of OU-powerhouses. (yes I forgot heatran)

2) A chart of pokemon that could be relevant within the gen8ou metagame, this list consists of pokemon that technically have to potential to be good/viale/semi-viable. I tried to include as many niche-pokemon as possible without going too far into "what if.." direction.
For example: Hippowdon and Excadrill are playable -> donphan not on the list. Just an example, as you can see I still included many things

This is probably worth writing a Flying Press article about. ;)

It's worth mentioning that Knock Off got an indirect buff - with no Mega Stones or Z-Crystals, it will always get boosted damage on the first hit.
Except against a Silvally holding a Memory.

https://pokepast.es/55f93eeb2a5e0130 Entire List of Pokémon that will be returning, only as a Galarian Forme
Are you sure about this one? Because with the Galarian forms of Meowth and Yamask getting a new evolution yet Persian and Cofagrigus both are still in the Dex tells me at the very least you can transfer the non-Galarian forms of these Pokemon (and maybe the Alolan forms of included Pokemon? You can have an entire team of Meowth & evos and they'll all be different!) to Galar. They may even have trades for some, like they would need a trade for at least Persian and Cofagrigus (possibly bring back the Tourist Traders that LGPE had).

Looking more slowly to the chart I've noticed that Flygon is in. Do you think that this will be the time that Flygon will get his Mega?
Flygon Gigantamax?

Flygon: I'm your Garchomp now, bit**!

If it keeps its HA (among other things), Corsola may be sorta relevant too... but I don’t see it sticking around in OU.
Yet but why would a dead Corsola keep Regenerator? I'd imagine it'll probably be replaced with something like Aftermath, Dry Skin, Mold Breaker, or Rough Skin.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the Pokemon not in the GALAR Dex are part of the Sinnoh dex (Blissey comes to mind)
Is it time we dust off the old "HOENN CONFURMED!!1!" meme and adapt it for Sinnoh?

my dumb theory is that it's in the dex so some alolan scientist can show up to the place that revives the fossilmons and goes "what are you idiots doing, this is what a real amalgamation looks like!"
That sounds like something Faba would do.

While I agree this is a fresh change for meta, it's still disappointing regarding the low number of Pokemon. ~600 seems more fair, we need patches/DLCs!
Look, I would love if they also had DLC, but they did say they weren't going to do DLC/patches to add more Pokemon.

What I imagine is more likely to happen is that they'll expand the Pokedex via version progression through the generation.

As eaglehawk noted above, a lot of Pokemon not included are in the Sinnoh Dex. We we'll probably start with this group of 400+ mons in SwSh, then they release the Sinnoh remakes with many of the missing Pokemon (maybe including a batch of Legendaries that aren't in Sinnoh, heck since those game Legendaries are interdimentional creatures would also be an easy way to bring back the Ultra Beasts), and then SwSh2 would bring in the rest.

I am thrilled for a game with a limited dex. It'll be nice to see some Pokémon perform better with the limited roster. What does worry me a little is how exp-farming is going to work in these games without Chansey and Audino.
Indeedee is looking like a suspicious expy of Audino...

You talk as if current gen is the only way to play. If 800+ pokemon are so important to you, you can play on the numerous older-generation ladders or the proposed national-dex OU. Remember that smogon tiers are entirely contrived; lower tiers only exist because the pokedex had expanded to the point that there are 400+ garbage (from a competitive perspective) pokemon. There was a LOT of cruft in the full set of pokemon available in gen 7.
There's also Showdown that'll not only have all the Pokemon but also Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, and I'm guessing will try to add in Dynamax/Gigantamax once we know what the stat increases are like for it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It has been a long journey, everyone, but now it must come to an end. Unless those rumors about the Pokedex expanding postgame turn out to be true, this is THE. FINAL. DEX. UPDATE!!!!!!! I've also done some recounting and revisions this time around, so if some numbers look odd compared to last update there you go. Because of this, I'm also not gonna have the numbers added in parantheses in section 1. And with all that and a potential inaccuracies disclaimer thrown in, LET'S GO!!!!!!! pikachu and eevee lol

Kanto - 54 (48 original, 6 regional variants)
Johto - 34 (26 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 2 cross-gen pre-evolutions, 1 regional variant)
Hoenn - 42 (39 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 38 (23 original, 10 cross-gen evolutions, 5 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 85 (81 original, 4 regional variants)
Kalos - 32 (31 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 36 (all original)
Galar - 81 (76 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 402

Percentages (Rounded down, nearest tenth for overall Galar Dex %)
Kanto - 35% of Kanto mons, 13.3% of Galar dex
Johto - 34% of Johto mons, 8.5% of Galar dex
Hoenn - 31% of Hoenn mons, 10.4% of Galar dex
Sinnoh - 35% of Sinnoh mons, 9.5% of Galar dex
Unova - 54% of Unova mons, 21.1% of Galar dex
Kalos - 45% of Kalos mons, 8% of Galar dex
Alola - 41% of Alola mons, 9% of Galar dex
Galar - 20.1% of Galar dex

Well, it's not all horrible for Hoenn fans I guess. They're still last, but at least they got above the 30% benchmark in the final stretch, right? Also, holy fucking balls the Unova representation is crazier than I could've imagined. OVER HALF of their home dex is in, and they have even edged out Galar itself for the highest proportion of the Galar Pokedex represented, taking back the crown in that area. I hope you like Gen 5...

Frankly, the Kanto representation is actually pretty mediocre considering how much love Unova (the gen with the most comparable new mons list) got and how even gens like Kalos ajnd Alola got more of their mons in, as well as considering how importing them all would've been easier thanks to the Let's Go games existing.

So, what are your thoughts on the complete Pokedex? Does it look alright, or are there glaring omissions? Are you satisfied with the number, or do you think there should've been more? Do you truly think this is it, or are you holding out hope for an expansion postgame?

I see the appeal of the smaller dex for the competitive metas, but honestly, I'm really sad about how like, 60% of the old dex got cut.

This is different than the older gens with smaller dexes because we know there's a bunch of mons going to the Retirement Home.

Comp. Wise, only the RS meta (as in, before FR/LG) had something similar with all the GBC mons getting cut and only mons that got back for RS could be reused. And that's the word. Used again. The mons that you raised in Crystal stayed in Crystal. RIP.

Now that Dexit is a policy, this is going to happen every single game.

Worst part? I see no results for that cut.

But anyway, this isn't the Dexit thread. Y'all noticed that only the League city has a Move Tutor so far? Chances are it's only the good old Draco Meteor tutor again.

Fan-flipping-tastic.

An Ubers tier will exist regardless of the actual amount of mons, we have 6 just about confirmed (legendary trio, aegis, shadow taggers) and there will inevitably be some OU bans. Just look to older tier gens to see how they form. AG would still exist as a no clause tier

also, gen 3, the most comparable gen, has a ZU and PU. They’re wacky, but they exist. At worst these formats will lose tournament representation but they won’t cease to exist
Gen 3 is not a comparable gen because at the time gen 3 was released it was the most Pokemon, and most varied meta we had ever known. Gen 3 was a step forward from gen 2.

Going from gen 7 to gen 3 levels of Pokemon is a step backwards.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)