Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Marianne Williamson

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • Mike Bloomberg

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While sanders is far from the first choice of around a half of democratic primary voters, I don’t think you need to worry about too substantial a portion not voting for him in a general. Unlike sanders supporters who see trump and Biden for example as somehow equivalent (or Biden worse lol...) supporters of the more moderate voters are realistic and understand that even a dead horse would be infinitely preferable to trump.

I have plenty of reservations about Bernie and I will not be voting for him in the primary in DC assuming there even is another candidate still in the race by the time DC votes in June. But there’s no doubt anyone in this thread would vote for him in the general.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Democracy quite literally in definition is control organized by the majority through elections. If one lives under a democracy, that is the general agreement. Yes, had trump gotten 50%+1 of the popular vote, he would be a consensus candidate (even to my personal dismay).

As stated a few pages back, moderate candidates do perform better in general elections. However, that is not because they "convert swing voters." The electorate as a whole is more moderate. Most people simply don't have exclusively left-wing or right-wing views. Trump was seen as closer to the center in 2016 than Hillary Clinton, which likely helped put him over the top.

Base mobilization strategy should work for Democrats and Bernie Sanders in 2020, much as it did with Barack Obama in 2012. The Democratic Party simply has more registered voters than Republicans. In theory, it should be Trump trying to move to the center. Sanders likely will have the edge in November.
man u ignored most of what i said to say the same shit u were saying 10 pages ago. actually engage with what im saying for once

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
No, it doesn’t. Warrens coalition is actually different then Sanders coalition (she has a lot of Clinton female voters). Consensus is exactly that; a candidate must win 50%+1.

Why would you assume Democratic voters won’t vote for Sanders? I saw polling from other Dem candidates saying 97%+ of their voters would back Sanders in the general election.
2 contradictory non-sequitors you cant say 97% of democrats would vote for sanders and then turn around and be like warren has a different coalition than sanders. there is nothing else i can say besides reading these types of posts that is extremely mind numbing.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Elizabeth Warren continues to throw stupid petty attacks at the Bernie Sanders movement... alienate the people she expects to "unite" at the convention. Okay.

BERNIEPALOOZA: A Four-Day Festival Of Music And Canvassing
berniepalooza.png

Bernie doesn't respond to her at all, instead he just invited his supporters and the people of Massachusetts for a 4 day music and canvasing Palooza going into super Tuesday.

538 gives Bernie Sanders a 65% chance of winning Massachusetts.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I legitimately mean this as a serious question (saying this on the outset because questions like this can easily be read on the internet with a trolly tone even in not intended), but why do so many Bernie fans get incredibly upset whenever anyone has anything less than perfect to say about him? He's a human being, he has flaws, and just because other candidates think they are better choices than him doesn't make them "snakes" when they lay out their disagreements. And again not trying to troll, genuinely saying this about my feelings on the current climate, but... Bernie isn't a perfect candidate, he was my personal fourth choice when the process started (Warren 1, Yang 2, Castro 3, Sanders 4, Harris 5, everyone else, cough the moderates cough, were dead to me), and while there have been a number of things that drove him down on my list (his unequal pay for women in his 2016 campaign for starters), the biggest thing that makes me not like Bernie a whole lot is his supporters. There's seemingly this aura around him that makes certain supporters feel like he can attack any of his challengers (I do think most of his own attacks have been in fair game though) but that no one else is allowed to challenge him on anything else.

I know my description of it might seem like I'm insinuating a double standard, but at the same time I think some of the Bernie supporters don't view it that way at all and I do definitely feel like I'm missing something... what am I missing? Again, I'm not trolling here, so I really do not want troll answers back, and I'd greatly appreciate patience and lenience. Yes, I appreciate that Bernie is trying to do a lot of great things that few other candidates are willing to try to tackle, but I still don't think that makes him immune from critique and I certainly don't think all of the critiques against him amount to blatant lies.

Over the past year (this is far from just recently), I have found myself rather disturbed by Bernie supporters where I don't even want to engage online in politics, despite me religiously watching all the debates and who knows how many hours of news coverage and candidate's speeches.

My internet consumption over the past year has been entirely dominated by politics, and yet it feels incredibly hard to actually engage largely because I feel like both Trump supporters and Bernie supporters make it very hard to join them if you're not 100% behind their candidate. I don't say this in relation at all to the new accusations of Bernie supporters flaming things like the culinary union or the stuff about Russian Bernie trolls... I say this just as someone who wishes I could be more engaged, but I feel like there's very few platforms where I can even exist with my own opinions. And I've been feeling this way for a very long time, well before the past week's news cycle where Bernie has gotten some media flack for his supporters x.x

RODAN

Banned deucer.
not speaking for every bernie supporter. but a lot of them view this election as a life or death moment, bernie is the only true progressive on the stage, the only one advocating for m4a. so when someone attacks his character it comes across like a genuine disdain for the working class. when people decry the white male bernie bro (which is the most common attack i've observed) they are effectively erasing all of the POC and female support bernie has.

when the choice is between a candidate who actually wants to change things and with a proven track record of trying to push things in a more progressive direction for his entire career and say someone who was a republican for most of their political career. the person who is under duress and needs support will go for the former.

for the supporters there really is only one candidate. because all the others will change nothing and the machine will keep turning. this isnt a best friends club, its a damn election and people need to start realizing this.

btw bernie is the unity candidate. he won pretty much every demo in NV

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well said RODAN . I'll go ahead and give my own perspective on this which is far lengthier.

First, regarding the current narratives you see in corporate media about Sanders supporters, Mike Figuerdo made an excellent video about this subject just recently:
To summarize, the idea that Sanders supporters are innately more aggressive is just a myth that the establishment media outlets have been circulating to sandbag his campaign. It's not a new strategy, Clinton did the same thing in 2008 with the "Obama boys" smear. The same thing also happened in 2016. The media constantly perpetuated the "Bernie Bro" smear to make it seem that Sanders supporters were uniquely aggressive, when in fact both Trump and Clinton supporters were far more aggressive.

You also have to understand that media coverage of Sanders has been far more negative than most of the other candidates, so he has also been constantly under attack.

In particular with the recent fiasco with the Culinary Union, their leaders (who are in bed with Harry Reid and the democratic establishment) were deliberately spreading disinformation about medicare for all in an attempt to sandbag Sanders. The other candidates tried to frame this as an attempt to make Sanders appear to be harassing union members, even though we now know from the NV results that the union members overwhelmingly supported him anyway in spite of the propaganda their leadership was spreading.

And that really sums up the nature of a lot of the attacks Sanders has received during this primary. I myself have several criticisms of Sanders which you probably won't need to see me mention in this thread since I am much further to the left of him on some issues, particularly foreign policy (where I think Tulsi is better). However most of the attacks he has received have come from the right, whether it's attacks on medicare for all, disingenuous claims about his supporters (that they are supposedly privileged white males, as someone else in this thread has claimed when responding to one my previous posts), that his plans are radical (even though they are mainstream in the rest of the developed world and have popular support from the voters according to the data). Let us also not forget that he has been smeared relentlessly due to his age, his heart attack, and allegedly being sexist. Oh, and that he is supposedly a Russian asset now too. If you ask me, we have a right to be angry that the only viable candidate who supports a working class agenda is under so much attack when the democratic party has basically ignored their needs in favor of affluent professionals for such a long time now. And we frankly hate this double standard being applied to us when the other candidates also have plenty of aggressive supporters of their own.

My final point: Instead of criticizing a candidate based on their supporters, why not vote for the one with objectively the best policies and electability? If anything, the fact that his supporters are so devoted and energized should further prove that he is the best candidate to run against Trump, who also has a devoted and energized base rather than any of the other candidates who will just repeat the same failed strategy that Clinton did in 2016. And that's important given that Trump's support has increased compared to 2016 as a result of the failed impeachment.

why do so many Bernie fans get incredibly upset whenever anyone has anything less than perfect to say about him? He's a human being, he has flaws, and just because other candidates think they are better choices than him doesn't make them "snakes" when they lay out their disagreements.
To clarify, Sanders supporters calling Warren a snake has nothing to do with differences of opinion wrt policy. A "snake" is someone who will for no reason hurt you (snake you). They will go behind your back and tell your secrets, all the while trying to make themselves look innocent and blame it on you. Warren accused Sanders of privately saying to her that a woman couldn't become president, all the while referring to him as a friend. Sanders refutes this claim and points out that he encouraged her to run in 2016, has always been fighting for equal rights and that there are decades old videos of him saying more women should run for state and national elections. Sanders then tries to make up with Warren, but she refuses. She still insists on calling Sanders a friend. This is perceived as Warren snaking Sanders to some Sanders supporters, hence the "Warren is a snake" meme. Her lying about being an indigenous person for several decades doesn't exactly help her image as a dishonest person either.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I legitimately mean this as a serious question (saying this on the outset because questions like this can easily be read on the internet with a trolly tone even in not intended), but why do so many Bernie fans get incredibly upset whenever anyone has anything less than perfect to say about him? He's a human being, he has flaws, and just because other candidates think they are better choices than him doesn't make them "snakes" when they lay out their disagreements. And again not trying to troll, genuinely saying this about my feelings on the current climate, but... Bernie isn't a perfect candidate, he was my personal fourth choice when the process started (Warren 1, Yang 2, Castro 3, Sanders 4, Harris 5, everyone else, cough the moderates cough, were dead to me), and while there have been a number of things that drove him down on my list (his unequal pay for women in his 2016 campaign for starters), the biggest thing that makes me not like Bernie a whole lot is his supporters. There's seemingly this aura around him that makes certain supporters feel like he can attack any of his challengers (I do think most of his own attacks have been in fair game though) but that no one else is allowed to challenge him on anything else.

I know my description of it might seem like I'm insinuating a double standard, but at the same time I think some of the Bernie supporters don't view it that way at all and I do definitely feel like I'm missing something... what am I missing? Again, I'm not trolling here, so I really do not want troll answers back, and I'd greatly appreciate patience and lenience. Yes, I appreciate that Bernie is trying to do a lot of great things that few other candidates are willing to try to tackle, but I still don't think that makes him immune from critique and I certainly don't think all of the critiques against him amount to blatant lies.

Over the past year (this is far from just recently), I have found myself rather disturbed by Bernie supporters where I don't even want to engage online in politics, despite me religiously watching all the debates and who knows how many hours of news coverage and candidate's speeches.

My internet consumption over the past year has been entirely dominated by politics, and yet it feels incredibly hard to actually engage largely because I feel like both Trump supporters and Bernie supporters make it very hard to join them if you're not 100% behind their candidate. I don't say this in relation at all to the new accusations of Bernie supporters flaming things like the culinary union or the stuff about Russian Bernie trolls... I say this just as someone who wishes I could be more engaged, but I feel like there's very few platforms where I can even exist with my own opinions. And I've been feeling this way for a very long time, well before the past week's news cycle where Bernie has gotten some media flack for his supporters x.x
Also can’t speak for every Bernie supporter, but I do think I’m representative if a Bernie Bro— and if you go back, you’ll find that my treatment and view on Warren has transformed and largely been transformed by the candidate’s own actions.

You’ll see that when she was fighting with Bernie on M4All, killing it on stage and making them both look better I was really happy with her, wanted a combined ticket, and there was even a time when I ranked her over Tulsi despite Tulsi being my own congresswoman and taking anti-establishment stances I liked.

But likewise the candidate’s own actions are what lead her to her current extremelylow standing with the movement. From not going after Biden on the Bankruptcy Bill, to orchestrating the sleeziest attack of the primary, to now lobbying low blows as she makes plays victim and started a Super PAC. It just brings back all of the betrayals from her in 2016 front and center.

Because she didn’t run and didn’t endorse Bernie in 2016 she started this race with a bit of shaky trust from progressives— and for many her actions are a “showing of true colors.”

Both the honey and vinegar for Warren stems from progressive media and influencers like TYT, Democracy Now!, & Secular Talk— again whom have all widely praised Warren in the past as well— but have responded to her and solidified behind Bernie as consequence of her actions for and against the wider progressive cause.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

yeah I agree with all of this and am continually disappointed by the lack of willingness of Sanders supporters to give Warren the benefit of the doubt. However I feel like there is a lot of disinformation and misinformed critique of Sanders, which is why I have come down on certain users who just blatantly spout their misinformed reasons for disliking Sanders, for example, his tax plan being too hard on middle class ppl when it only effects ppl making over 400k each year.

I also feel like from a progressive standpoint, the opposition to Sanders is largely based in a certain type of contrarianism. I can understand preferring Warren, but not any of the rest of the field. It is not clear how a progressive politician can establish their credentials on a national scale more than Sanders has done and while doing so he has managed to handle the media very well and gain an exceptional degree of name recognition. He carries endorsements from model politicians like AOC and people who oppose him can't really say why they would do so other than distaste for his supporters or for him being a white man (note, I share this distaste, but it would be more distasteful to ignore the women and particularly women of color he is in coalition with). The arguments just aren't there imo, thats why it's always something secondary, his shitty male online supporters or the essay he wrote about male sexual domination of women. No one is perfect, especially Sanders supporters, but the whole world is desperate for change in America the type of which I strongly feel only Sanders would bring. If you're a foreign policy person, like I would like to think I once was, who is serious about progressive ideals you can't ignore the need for someone who understands the ways in which the Washington Consensus foreign policy has failed America, and no other candidate has come closer to articulating this type of platform than Sanders, and his endorsements from AOC and Ilhan Omar speak volumes in this particular area.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
To clarify, Sanders supporters calling Warren a snake has nothing to do with differences of opinion wrt policy. A "snake" is someone who will for no reason hurt you (snake you). They will go behind your back and tell your secrets, all the while trying to make themselves look innocent and blame it on you. Warren accused Sanders of privately saying to her that a woman couldn't become president, all the while referring to him as a friend. Sanders refutes this claim and points out that he encouraged her to run in 2016, has always been fighting for equal rights and that there are decades old videos of him saying more women should run for state and national elections. Sanders then tries to make up with Warren, but she refuses. She still insists on calling Sanders a friend. This is perceived as Warren snaking Sanders to some Sanders supporters, hence the "Warren is a snake" meme. Her lying about being an indigenous person for several decades doesn't exactly help her image as a dishonest person either.
Or maybe instead of getting too far down occam's razor, you could just simply accept that Warren and Bernie ARE actually friends, they actually had a private and friendly meeting, and they actually talked about gender in politics. Quite frankly there is zero evidence that Warren is even lying about this, and zero evidence Bernie is lying, and yet she gets ALL the hate, and the snake meme is just excessively nasty and not even funny. You can point to all of these video clips of Bernie from the 1980s promoting equality, but when you have him in **2016** having a campaign where women aren't paid equally as men, you have to realize there's a lot more going on. Not saying here that he's malicious and I do think it's more along the lines of problems with awareness that he does genuinely wish he could go back and fix. But I really don't think it's unreasonable for him to have said something along the lines of that after Hilary's loss, a woman would have a harder time or that there'd be a lot of obstacles in the way and his blunt tone could easily make this sound much worse than anything he actually meant, or as his own campaign officials replied "wires just got crossed."

How I first even discovered Warren as a serious contender was through an indigenous newspaper defending her. Native American rights is literally THE reason that put Warren at the top of my list back in late 2018/early 2019. Deb Haaland joining the Warren team also was a big impact for me.

Warren is the only candidate who has actually made it a big part of her campaign to care about indigenous rights. I think in all of the debates, she and Kamala Harris were the only ones to even mention Native Americans. Pocahontas is Trump's talking point, so I feel like you using it (albeit more loosely) as a so-called progressive Bernie supporter is disappointing. While she certainly made mistakes in some of her presentation of her heritage and overvaluing vague family stories passed on to her with no concrete lineage, she has also made her apologies clear and quite frankly I think it was a good learning moment for a huge amount of people in this country to learn about what tribal citizenship means. I am thoroughly convinced that of all the candidates she is the one most familiar with and who cares the most about Native Americans in this country. No other candidate has written as extensive plans to both recognize and deal with problems for Native Americans. For you to dismiss all of the things that she's the only person who understands on the field because a smear perpetuated by Trump is really disappointing.

tl;dr Warren and Sanders ARE friends, they've both taken jabs at each other but that's what happens in a presidential race. Trump's label for Warren has literally masked all of the good things she wants to do for indigenous communities and it really really frustrates me, because I think Warren undoubtedly cares about indigenous rights. She made mistakes, so has Bernie.

Last edited:

Bass

Brother in arms
Ok I was trying to be nice but I take many issues with this reply:
Or maybe instead of getting too far down occam's razor, you could just simply accept that Warren and Bernie ARE actually friends, they actually had a private and friendly meeting, and they actually talked about gender in politics. Quite frankly there is zero evidence that Warren is even lying about this, and zero evidence Bernie is lying, and yet she gets ALL the hate, and the snake meme is just excessively nasty and not even funny.
Of course, this whole incident is a "he said she said" thing, but you are leaving out a lot of context. First of all, don't act like Warren was the victim here. All the corporate media outlets OVERWHELMINGLY took Warren's side. This bias was so blatant that one of the moderators of the January debate stated that Sanders said it as if it were fact:

And that's not surprising if you look at the graphs I showed in my previous post, Warren has received incredibly favorable coverage in the media compared to Sanders. And there are many other blatant examples of this bias, such as when MSNBC's Joy Reid hired a so-called "body language" expert as "evidence" of Sanders lying:

You can point to all of these video clips of Bernie from the 1980s promoting equality, but when you have him in **2016** having a campaign where women aren't paid equally as men, you have to realize there's a lot more going on.
Yet you conveniently ignore everything he has done since 2016 to improve the pay of his campaign workers who now have a $15 minimum wage and a union as well as his efforts to prevent sexual harassment inside his campaign. And that many of Sanders's top campaign staffers and surrogates are now women. The accusation slung at him back in 2016 that you mentioned was that his highest paid campaign staffers were all men, but that's not necessarily the same thing as unequal pay for equal work. The actual source of this claim stated that his 2016 campaign actually paid $1000 more to women than men on average. Corporate media outlets deliberately left this point out of their headlines when they broke this story which leads me to believe that they were deliberately trying to frame his campaign as being especially sexist.

Not saying here that he's malicious and I do think it's more along the lines of problems with awareness that he does genuinely wish he could go back and fix. But I really don't think it's unreasonable for him to have said something along the lines of that after Hilary's loss, a woman would have a harder time or that there'd be a lot of obstacles in the way and his blunt tone could easily make this sound much worse than anything he actually meant, or as his own campaign officials replied "wires just got crossed."
But Sanders was not accused of merely saying that Warren would have a harder time winning because she was a women. The actual accusation was that he flat out said "a women can't win". That's far more serious, and pointing out that he begged Warren to run in 2016 as well as the videos of him stating that we should have more women running for office contradicts this accusation. And given the weight of such an accusation, why did she wait for so long to reveal it? The timing was pretty convenient given that her numbers were starting to sink and Sanders was starting to surge which is a result of her backtracking per stance on Medicare For All.

How I first even discovered Warren as a serious contender was through an indigenous newspaper defending her. Native American rights is literally THE reason that put Warren at the top of my list back in late 2018/early 2019. Deb Haaland joining the Warren team also was a big impact for me. Warren is the only candidate who has actually made it a big part of her campaign to care about indigenous rights. I think in all of the debates, she and Kamala Harris were the only ones to even mention Native Americans.
Are you aware that Sanders also has made indigenous rights a huge part of his platform, even in 2016? He has won the Native American vote decisively in 2016 over Clinton and that seems to remain the case in the first three states to have voted so far. In what way is Warren's platform superior? I will admit that her plan is more detailed on her website, but I also know that Sanders has historically done quite a lot in this area.

Pocahontas is Trump's talking point, so I feel like you using it (albeit more loosely) as a so-called progressive Bernie supporter is disappointing. While she certainly made mistakes in some of her presentation of her heritage and overvaluing vague family stories passed on to her with no concrete lineage, she has also made her apologies clear and quite frankly I think it was a good learning moment for a huge amount of people in this country to learn about what tribal citizenship means. I am thoroughly convinced that of all the candidates she is the one most familiar with and who cares the most about Native Americans in this country. No other candidate has written as extensive plans to both recognize and deal with problems for Native Americans. For you to dismiss all of the things that she's the only person who understands on the field because a smear perpetuated by Trump is really disappointing.
To be fair I also don't really like the "Pochahontas" and "Liawatha" name calling being thrown, but there are many other issues I have with Warren's record as a Sanders supporter that leads me to believe that she's really not all that progressive. This includes voting for all of Trump's bloated military budgets, backtracking her stance on Medicare for All, equating Sanders supporting grassroots PACs like Our Revolution, the Sunrise Movement, and Indivisible to dark money corporate SuperPACs (which Warren has just recently backpedaled on and is now taking money from one). And most jarringly refusing to disavow taking corporate money in the general election. That's very important, because the whole point of not taking corporate money is to ensure that your policy positions are influenced by will of the people alone and not a privileged few, which is precisely why Sanders is now the only leading candidate who supports free public college, medicare for all, and a less hawkish foreign policy.

tl;dr Warren and Sanders ARE friends, they've both taken jabs at each other but that's what happens in a presidential race. Trump's label for Warren has literally masked all of the good things she wants to do for indigenous communities and it really really frustrates me, because I think Warren undoubtedly cares about indigenous rights. She made mistakes, so has Bernie.
If she is such a great friend, why is she now joining in on this Bernie Bro smear bandwagon, which I thoroughly debunked in my previous post? If she is going to condescendingly claim that every candidate is responsible for all the aggressive behavior of their supporters, then why hasn't she called out the aggressive behavior of supporters of other candidates as well as her own? Why is she suddenly changing her debate strategy of teaming up with Sanders to teaming up with a centrist like Klobuchar?

It's as clear as day now that Warren has no path to the nomination. I remember when her supporters were viciously telling Sanders to drop out around the time of his heart attack, because the argument was that we needed all progressives to unite around one candidate. Now that there are actual votes out we know that Sanders is the one progressives should be uniting under, not Warren. Even in the case of a brokered convention, there is absolutely no way party insiders would pick her over Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg. If Warren seriously believes in the progressive movement, why is she still insisting on staying in the race? She used to say that whoever has the most votes should win, but now she has flat out confirmed in the last debate that she doesn't necessarily believe that the nominee should be decided by the will of the people alone. That's the precise scenario that would ensure a Trump victory, so if she really cared about progressive causes she would be dropping out and endorsing Sanders. If she is still in this after SC votes next week, I can only assume that she is staying in this race as a spoiler for Sanders.

Last edited:
not speaking for every bernie supporter. but a lot of them view this election as a life or death moment, bernie is the only true progressive on the stage, the only one advocating for m4a. so when someone attacks his character it comes across like a genuine disdain for the working class. when people decry the white male bernie bro (which is the most common attack i've observed) they are effectively erasing all of the POC and female support bernie has.

when the choice is between a candidate who actually wants to change things and with a proven track record of trying to push things in a more progressive direction for his entire career and say someone who was a republican for most of their political career. the person who is under duress and needs support will go for the former.

for the supporters there really is only one candidate. because all the others will change nothing and the machine will keep turning. this isnt a best friends club, its a damn election and people need to start realizing this.

btw bernie is the unity candidate. he won pretty much every demo in NV
I agree 100% and am at a complete loss of comprehension. What even is a "true progressive?" It makes no difference in policy whether they used to be for or against an issue 30 years ago. Whichever candidate gets in is going to attempt to pass the same shit. Even in 2016, Clinton and Sanders had near identical voting records in their tenure in Congress. Look no further than the craven Republicans to see that politicians are just there to do a job. We don't know what they actually believe or who they are friends with in private, nor should we care.

You also have to understand that media coverage of Sanders has been far more negative than most of the other candidates, so he has also been constantly under attack.

In particular with the recent fiasco with the Culinary Union, their leaders (who are in bed with Harry Reid and the democratic establishment) were deliberately spreading disinformation about medicare for all in an attempt to sandbag Sanders. The other candidates tried to frame this as an attempt to make Sanders appear to be harassing union members, even though we now know from the NV results that the union members overwhelmingly supported him anyway in spite of the propaganda their leadership was spreading.

And that really sums up the nature of a lot of the attacks Sanders has received during this primary. I myself have several criticisms of Sanders which you probably won't need to see me mention in this thread since I am much further to the left of him on some issues, particularly foreign policy (where I think Tulsi is better). However most of the attacks he has received have come from the right, whether it's attacks on medicare for all, disingenuous claims about his supporters (that they are supposedly privileged white males, as someone else in this thread has claimed when responding to one my previous posts), that his plans are radical (even though they are mainstream in the rest of the developed world and have popular support from the voters according to the data). Let us also not forget that he has been smeared relentlessly due to his age, his heart attack, and allegedly being sexist. Oh, and that he is supposedly a Russian asset now too. If you ask me, we have a right to be angry that the only viable candidate who supports a working class agenda is under so much attack when the democratic party has basically ignored their needs in favor of affluent professionals for such a long time now. And we frankly hate this double standard being applied to us when the other candidates also have plenty of aggressive supporters of their own.

My final point: Instead of criticizing a candidate based on their supporters, why not vote for the one with objectively the best policies and electability? If anything, the fact that his supporters are so devoted and energized should further prove that he is the best candidate to run against Trump, who also has a devoted and energized base rather than any of the other candidates who will just repeat the same failed strategy that Clinton did in 2016. And that's important given that Trump's support has increased compared to 2016 as a result of the failed impeachment.
The "unfair attacks" are politics. Politics is a contact sport. Was it fair that the media spent a year talking about Clinton emails? Is it fair that Republicans use blatant racism to hustle votes? Was it fair that Bill Clinton was impeached over a blow job? That's politics.

Why do people take criticisms of Bernie so personally?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Ok I was trying to be nice but I take many issues with this reply:

Of course, this whole incident is a "he said she said" thing, but you are leaving out a lot of context. First of all, don't act like Warren was the victim here. All the corporate media outlets OVERWHELMINGLY took Warren's side. This bias was so blatant that one of the moderators of the January debate stated that Sanders said it as if it were fact:

And that's not surprising if you look at the graphs I showed in my previous post, Warren has received incredibly favorable coverage in the media compared to Sanders. And there are many other blatant examples of this bias, such as when MSNBC's Joy Reid hired a so-called "body language" expert as "evidence" of Sanders lying:

Yet you conveniently ignore everything he has done since 2016 to improve the pay of his campaign workers who now have a $15 minimum wage and a union as well as his efforts to prevent sexual harassment inside his campaign. And that many of Sanders's top campaign staffers and surrogates are now women. The accusation slung at him back in 2016 that you mentioned was that his highest paid campaign staffers were all men, but that's not necessarily the same thing as unequal pay for equal work. The actual source of this claim stated that his 2016 campaign actually paid $1000 more to women than men on average. Corporate media outlets deliberately left this point out of their headlines when they broke this story which leads me to believe that they were deliberately trying to frame his campaign as being especially sexist.

But Sanders was not accused of merely saying that Warren would have a harder time winning because she was a women. The actual accusation was that he flat out said "a women can't win". That's far more serious, and pointing out that he begged Warren to run in 2016 as well as the videos of him stating that we should have more women running for office contradicts this accusation. And given the weight of such an accusation, why did she wait for so long to reveal it? The timing was pretty convenient given that her numbers were starting to sink and Sanders was starting to surge which is a result of her backtracking per stance on Medicare For All.

Are you aware that Sanders also has made indigenous rights a huge part of his platform, even in 2016? He has won the Native American vote decisively in 2016 over Clinton and that seems to remain the case in the first three states to have voted so far. In what way is Warren's platform superior? I will admit that her plan is more detailed on her website, but I also know that Sanders has historically done quite a lot in this area.

To be fair I also don't really like the "Pochahontas" and "Liawatha" name calling being thrown, but there are many other issues I have with Warren's record as a Sanders supporter that leads me to believe that she's really not all that progressive. This includes voting for all of Trump's bloated military budgets, backtracking her stance on Medicare for All, equating Sanders supporting grassroots PACs like Our Revolution, the Sunrise Movement, and Indivisible to dark money corporate SuperPACs (which Warren has just recently backpedaled on and is now taking money from one). And most jarringly refusing to disavow taking corporate money in the general election. That's very important, because the whole point of not taking corporate money is to ensure that your policy positions are influenced by will of the people alone and not a privileged few, which is precisely why Sanders is now the only leading candidate who supports free public college, medicare for all, and a less hawkish foreign policy.

If she is such a great friend, why is she now joining in on this Bernie Bro smear bandwagon, which I thoroughly debunked in my previous post? If she is going to condescendingly claim that every candidate is responsible for all the aggressive behavior of their supporters, then why hasn't she called out the aggressive behavior of supporters of other candidates as well as her own? Why is she suddenly changing her debate strategy of teaming up with Sanders to teaming up with a centrist like Klobuchar?

It's as clear as day now that Warren has no path to the nomination. I remember when her supporters were viciously telling Sanders to drop out around the time of his heart attack, because the argument was that we needed all progressives to unite around one candidate. Now that there are actual votes out we know that Sanders is the one progressives should be uniting under, not Warren. Even in the case of a brokered convention, there is absolutely no way party insiders would pick her over Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg. If Warren seriously believes in the progressive movement, why is she still insisting on staying in the race? She used to say that whoever has the most votes should win, but now she has flat out confirmed in the last debate that she doesn't necessarily believe that the nominee should be decided by the will of the people alone. That's the precise scenario that would ensure a Trump victory, so if she really cared about progressive causes she would be dropping out and endorsing Sanders. If she is still in this after SC votes next week, I can only assume that she is staying in this race as a spoiler for Sanders.
Your argument seemingly boils down to "if the media blasts Bernie over stupid stuff, we should be able to blast the other candidates over stupid stuff too." I am not arguing with you on the point that Bernie has had a very poor image construed of him by the great majority of major media sources. And that is not fair. But why can't you take it out on the media? What does calling Warren a snake over a conversation you never heard accomplish? What does discrediting her strong indigenous rights agenda do, other than erase the place for indigenous rights in our country's political system?

Warren progressives are not blind to the unfairness that Bernie has had to endure in media coverage, we see it, we know it exists. That really doesn't excuse people to stoop to that level to fill literally every youtube livestream of Warren over the past 2 months with snake emojis, or for them to unite with Trump supporters and call her Pocahontas across every youtube video or online newspaper article mentioning her in the past year. This is stuff I've been seeing this whole cycle.

I really don't think Bernie beating Clinton in this area is anything noteworthy, and if Bernie can't even mention Native Americans in any of his debates, then that kind of matters to me.

Why is she suddenly changing her debate strategy of teaming up with Sanders to teaming up with a centrist like Klobuchar?
You basically act like Warren is evil for acknowledging that Klobuchar had a proven record of beating men in red districts as if she supports Klobuchar's policies. I hate to tell this to you, but one woman telling another woman a compliment does NOT mean that those women are conspiring against Bernie or the male candidates.

Literally your best argument is that the media doesn't like Bernie (though you fail to mention that these same media outlets have portrayed Warren as fading or dead since December), but this is very very far from saying Warren doesn't like him or that she's "viciously" out to get him (seriously, that language bugs the shit out of me) and it doesn't in my opinion excuse many of the attacks leveled against Warren.

Bass

Brother in arms
I agree 100% and am at a complete loss of comprehension. What even is a "true progressive?" It makes no difference in policy whether they used to be for or against an issue 30 years ago. Whichever candidate gets in is going to attempt to pass the same shit. Even in 2016, Clinton and Sanders had near identical voting records in their tenure in Congress.
But Clinton was against free public college tuition, medicare for all, a carbon tax, and was for every regime change war and the wall street bailout. You disingenuously try to paint them as being ideologically similar just based on a metric that has little meaning as this small list of issues alone has such a dramatic impact on people's lives. My own standards for a progressive are at minimum someone who refuses to take corporate money, is committed to getting money out of politics, and broadly supports policies that are mainstream in the rest of the developed world that will finally offer some relief to the working class (ie medicare for all). Just because we have become used to most of our elected officials being crooked does not mean we should have absolutely no standards.

Look no further than the craven Republicans to see that politicians are just there to do a job. We don't know what they actually believe or who they are friends with in private, nor should we care.
Politicians have a direct impact on your daily life. Their actions determine whether people will continue to struggle paying their bills, dying to medical debt, or continue to be terrorized by the police. The fact that not enough people care is why we as a country have failed to solve these fundamental problems, let alone have a standard of living for the middle and working class that is comparable with the rest of the developed world.

The "unfair attacks" are politics. Politics is a contact sport. Was it fair that the media spent a year talking about Clinton emails? Is it fair that Republicans use blatant racism to hustle votes? Was it fair that Bill Clinton was impeached over a blow job? That's politics.

Why do people take criticisms of Bernie so personally?
Well then you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding as to why people actually like Bernie Sanders. That's because he wants to put an end to politics as usual, and make sure that our elections are honest debates on policy, not a contest of who has the most believable unsubstantiated smear. It's more jarring in the case of Sanders vs Warren because they had a non aggression pact. Then Warren tries to play the victim card and claim that pointing out her supporters are more likely to be educated and affluent is a horrible unfair attack that must be apologized for (even though it is undeniably a fact that is supported by ALL of the polling data). All of the legitimate POLICY differences I pointed out in my last post are things Sanders could have easily used to attack Warren in the debates, yet he staunchly refused to. Then when she starts to drop in the polls, Warren drops an outrageous attempt to smear him as a sexist in an act of desperation. No matter who you believe, both candidates were supposed to be working together to make sure that either one of them would emerge as the progressive nominee. If Warren was truly committed to this cause, then why would she decide to drop this bomb when she did?

Your argument seemingly boils down to "if the media blasts Bernie over stupid stuff, we should be able to blast the other candidates over stupid stuff too." I am not arguing with you on the point that Bernie has had a very poor image construed of him by the great majority of major media sources. And that is not fair. But why can't you take it out on the media? What does calling Warren a snake over a conversation you never heard accomplish? What does discrediting her strong indigenous rights agenda do, other than erase the place for indigenous rights in our country's political system?
That is not at all what I said, don't put words in my mouth. I said that Warren and her supporters have no right to act like one sided victims in this situation when (1) Bernie has been attacked relentlessly by the media with mostly unsubstantiated smears and (2) Warren is undoubtedly lying or being extremely disingenuous at best, on purpose, in an attempt to undermine Sanders and put the progressive movement at a huge risk by burning a bridge between Sanders and his supporters. Furthermore, Warren's campaign is the one that directly leaked the story to CNN, so they are just as culpable in this incident as the media outlets.

Warren progressives are not blind to the unfairness that Bernie has had to endure in media coverage, we see it, we know it exists. That really doesn't excuse people to stoop to that level to fill literally every youtube livestream of Warren over the past 2 months with snake emojis, or for them to unite with Trump supporters and call her Pocahontas across every youtube video or online newspaper article mentioning her in the past year. This is stuff I've been seeing this whole cycle.
Well get over it. She has chosen to double down on her actions, probably at the behest of her horrible advisors who previously worked for the Clinton campaign who tried to paint Bernie Sanders as a misogynist last time. She must own up to that. As I have pointed out multiple times already, every single candidate has suffered from attacks from aggressive supporters from every campaign. But you know what? Even though many Sanders supporters have also been victim of unreasonable attacks from supporters of other candidates including Warren, you don't see us making huge hissyfits whining about them. At least our aggression has been directed at the other candidates and not their supporters. If you are going to try to act like Sanders supporters are uniquely vicious, then at least have the decency to acknowledge some of the horrible things Warren supporters have said about Sanders, especially at the moment of his heart attack. And given all of that, my support for Sanders over Warren is based entirely on her own policies and actions, not those of her supporters. Not supporting a candidate based on the actions or beliefs of their supporters is just playing the guilt by association card and a bad excuse.

I really don't think Bernie beating Clinton in this area is anything noteworthy, and if Bernie can't even mention Native Americans in any of his debates, then that kind of matters to me.
I mean, candidates mention lots of things during debates to score brownie points. Clinton repeatedly mentioned the Flint water crisis in a debate while she was campaigning in Michigan, but after that primary was over she never brought it up or even acknowledged it again. What's important to me is whether or not I can trust them to actually keep their promises. What attracts me to Sanders are not simply his words, but the fact that he is the one candidate who isn't taking money from billionaires, so I am far more likely to trust that he will fight for the things he is promising. You conveniently chose not to respond to all the legitimate issues I had with Warren on policy in my previous post including her decision to take corporate PAC money, which is a major reason I have little faith that she would fight hard on progressive issues.

And don't be so dismissive of Bernie's platform for Native Americans. I will acknowledge that Warren has the most detailed plan on her website, but that does not mean that Bernie isn't making significant efforts on indigenous rights. There's lots of videos on youtube where he discusses this in detail, so I'll just leave one such example from this campaign. There are also several from his 2016 campaign out there.

I will admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person in this area as I am not a Native American, but I did ask you to clearly explain in what ways Warren's plan is superior to Bernie's. You still haven't answered that question, but odds are that even if it is, I would think that Bernie's plan is still quite good given that he has the most support from Native American voters out of every candidate both now and in 2016.

You basically act like Warren is evil for acknowledging that Klobuchar had a proven record of beating men in red districts as if she supports Klobuchar's policies. I hate to tell this to you, but one woman telling another woman a compliment does NOT mean that those women are conspiring against Bernie or the male candidates.
I didn't say that she's "evil", but the simple fact that she is saying in this race even though she no longer has any chance of winning along with her increasing amounts of attacks towards Bernie and his supporters is leading me and many others to question where her real priorities lie as a candidate. Regarding Klobuchar, she hasn't been complimenting her in just that one debate (where Sanders also pointed out that he has in fact beaten an incumbent Republican in the past 30 years despite her claims to the contrary). After getting trounced in the NH primary, she congratulated Klobuchar (who finished in third) and attacked Bernie for being a divisive candidate (even though she had just recently committed the single most divisive attack of any candidate against Sanders). That's not excusable when she has previously advertised herself as being more closely aligned with Sanders ideologically than a centrist like Klobuchar.

Literally your best argument is that the media doesn't like Bernie (though you fail to mention that these same media outlets have portrayed Warren as fading or dead since December), but this is very very far from saying Warren doesn't like him or that she's "viciously" out to get him (seriously, that language bugs the shit out of me) and it doesn't in my opinion excuse many of the attacks leveled against Warren.
But the media has been extremely nice to her and hasn't really acknowledged that her campaign was fading until after her losses in Iowa and New Hampshire. The same media outlets have quite literally refused to acknowledge that Sanders was frontrunner until his landslide victory last night, even though he had already won the popular vote in the first two states.

And you still haven't answered my question. If she is supposed to be someone who purportedly cares about having a progressive candidate win the nomination, then why hasn't she dropped out when she obviously knows by now that she has no chance? Although Sanders is now the undisputed frontrunner in the race, it is still uncertain if he will actually be able to get a majority of pledged delegates. Current polling data says that about 42% of Warren's remaining supporters have Sanders as their second choice. That's a 4-5% boost in the national polling which could possibly be enough to make the difference between a progressive getting the nomination or the party insiders undemocratically handing it over to Biden/Bloomberg/Buttigieg as they are more committed to stopping a progressive from winning than Trump. I mean, I am glad that she did a fantastic job knocking Bloomberg down in that last debate, but that does not necessarily mean she is staying in at this point to help benefit the progressive movement.

Finally, I have no reason to apologize for calling her attacks on Bernie as vicious, because it's undeniably the case. Biden, Buttigieg, and Bloomberg have also attacked Bernie many times but none of them sting nearly as hard because everyone of us knows that they are the establishment. She flat out accused him of being something she is not in a selfishly calculated political move, plain and simple. And she has not stopped since then, whether it is calling him divisive, claiming he is responsible for his supporters (yet somehow not responsible for hers), and now trying to pretend that the grassroot PACs supporting Sanders are equivalent to dark money SuperPACs (which she is now taking money from anyway). I could go on but I am not going to keep trying to convince you to change your mind, and I know there are many former Warren supporters who have switched over to Sanders that still like her. But I am not going to ignore the serious flaws in her record or her attempts to undermine the candidate who she is supposedly a good friend with, and I'll no longer acknowledge her as a progressive candidate. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
healndeal the reason people have been turning on Warren is precisely because of the CNN manufactured misogyny reporting. Despite clearly being at best a grey “might be hard to get women president in Trump country” Warren has absolutely leaned into it more and more. This on top of her clearing siding with establishment Dems has made her more unlikable for me. My bottom line for a progressive candidate at MINIMUM is being for the elimination of corporate lobbyists and dark money infused politics. Sanders is the ONLY candidate that candidly preaches such a message. I do not trust Warren when she pushes a message that Sanders grassroots support is in any way equivalent to a SuperPAC. I do not trust Warren when she is a born again Democrat that still leans into a free market capitalism model. These are the same mistakes I feel Clinton made, leaning into progressive ideals but not really only because its expedient to do so, and she has shifted away from 2016 stances.

For the record she is my second choice right now. Throughout this election my choices have been Williamson, Sanders, Warren, Yang, Gabbard, for the most part. She is preferable to Biden Klobuchar Pete and the rest of them, but I do think she no longer stands in the same camp as Bernie anymore. Being in bed with lobbyists really shapes my characterization of her

healndeal the reason people have been turning on Warren is precisely because of the CNN manufactured misogyny reporting. Despite clearly being at best a grey “might be hard to get women president in Trump country” Warren has absolutely leaned into it more and more. This on top of her clearing siding with establishment Dems has made her more unlikable for me. My bottom line for a progressive candidate at MINIMUM is being for the elimination of corporate lobbyists and dark money infused politics. Sanders is the ONLY candidate that candidly preaches such a message. I do not trust Warren when she pushes a message that Sanders grassroots support is in any way equivalent to a SuperPAC. I do not trust Warren when she is a born again Democrat that still leans into a free market capitalism model. These are the same mistakes I feel Clinton made, leaning into progressive ideals but not really only because its expedient to do so, and she has shifted away from 2016 stances.
Please stop pushing false narratives. The Democratic Party advocates for complete overhaul of campaign finance. The first bill passed by the Democratic House this session tackles election reform, voting rights, and campaign finance. This “only Bernie believes _____” is the bullshit that has to stop.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The question of "why are Sanders supporters so thin-skinned" is not a particularly difficult one to figure out.

Sanders represents what a lot of us always thought the Democratic party represented. But as he's started to prove himself as the front-runner, the masks have been coming off those who ultimately were just tied to a specific agenda and want Proper Neoliberal Authority. And many of us (especially the younger of us) have been ultimately betrayed by neoliberalism. For some of us it's literally a life-or-death situation because healthcare. So it's really not a surprise when the knives come out in response to this sudden unmasking.

The question of "why are Sanders supporters so thin-skinned" is not a particularly difficult one to figure out.

Sanders represents what a lot of us always thought the Democratic party represented. But as he's started to prove himself as the front-runner, the masks have been coming off those who ultimately were just tied to a specific agenda and want Proper Neoliberal Authority. And many of us (especially the younger of us) have been ultimately betrayed by neoliberalism. For some of us it's literally a life-or-death situation because healthcare. So it's really not a surprise when the knives come out in response to this sudden unmasking.
There has to be coordinated strategy. Health care and climate change won’t get addressed by burning down the one remaining viable party. It takes years of political participation and organizing. Most of all, it requires winning elections.

I can vouch for this, my mother in law has health issues and is going into her 50s and still clinging to her job in the city because it provides her with health insurance - she wants to retire, but it's simply impossible for her atm - having Bernie elected would change all of this.

You're criticizing Warren for leaning into the Bernie sexist thing (appropriately), but not Gabbard for leaning into the "Hillary suicides people" thing?

I'm not sure how seriously I can take a Williamson supporter either.
Because Warren v Bernie was the topic of conversation lmao. No one was even talking about Tulsi I have no idea how that or someone being favorable to Williamson has anything to do with the points brought up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)