Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Matleo

Banned deucer.
I tested a bit with Corrosive Gas, and found that it is also blocked by Crafty Shield and Substitute. I also found that Coaching still works, even with Crafty Shield and Substitute both up.
how does it interact vith Corrosion ability and steel items and steel types? does it have any hidden effect on steel pokemon?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
how does Poltergeist interact with levitate, flying types, telekinesis, normal types???
What if pokemon has sticky hold or suction cups ? will it then work too???

situations with magician, thief, when stealing user of Polteageist a item? how it all acts and reacts?

read about Magic room and Klutz but was all tested?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you hit disguise on the first turn of Triple Axel, hits 2 and 3 will be 20 BP and 40 BP and not 40 + 60. (kinda like the rollout damage glitch)

Does burning jealousy burn if you hit a Weakness Policy pokemon super effectively?

A few things:
- Burning Jealousy still burns if you Haze away the stat boost before it goes off. [1]
- Lash Out still increases its damage if you Haze away the stat drop before it goes off. [1]
- Jungle Healing restores user, then ally. It recovers both HP and status. [1, 2]
So on the topic of Burning Jealousy and Lash Out, do their special effects get triggered by ANY stat boost or drop, or just those that play the boost/drop animation?

I'm thinking of whether Baton Pass (either move), Hazing a stat at -1 (Burning Jealousy on the Pokémon that had the -1), or Marshadow stealing boosts with Spectral Thief (Lash Out from the Pokémon that got their boosts stolen) cause these moves to trigger their special effect.

Don't you just hate when the flavorful description makes things seem amazingly better than they actually are?
For example, Quick Draw and Shell Side Arm.
Described as something that increases the priority of bullet/ballistic moves by 3 brackets and an attack that deals the most effective damage using one stat with 30% chance to poison, but…
Literally just an inferior (limited to attacks only) Quick Claw and an inferior (-10 bp) Poison-type Photon Geyser with more PP and a 20% chance to poison instead of ignoring Abilities.

Do I understand this correctly?

Don't you just hate when the flavorful description makes things seem amazingly better than they actually are?
Described as something that increases the priority of bullet/ballistic moves by 3 brackets and an attack that deals the most effective damage using one stat with 30% chance to poison, but…
Literally just an inferior (limited to attacks only) Quick Claw and an inferior (-10 bp) Poison-type Photon Geyser with more PP and a 20% chance to poison instead of ignoring Abilities.

Shell Side Arm is a little bit better than Photon Geyser mechanically, as it checks both the user's attacks and target's defenses to determine whether to be physical or special, unlike Photon Geyser which just checks the user's attacks. It's also kinda cool that unlike Photon Geyser which just changes its category, Shell Side Arm is actually a bit like two attacks in one, since the physical version has its own animation and even makes contact.

Quick Draw's description is this
Enables the Pokémon to move first occasionally.
I mean if you thought by the name and Slowbro having a gun arm I guess I can't blame you too much & the description implies it would be *any* move rather than just attacking moves, but I wouldn't read this and think "increases priority of bullet/ballistic moves [by 3 brackets]"

situations with magician, thief, when stealing user of Poltergeist a item? how it all acts and reacts?
read about Magic room and Klutz but was all tested?
I'm guessing you're asking what happens if the target's item is stolen away right before Poltergeist connects. I'm fairly certain Poltergeist will fail and not do any damage.
I didn't know till now that Embargo, Magic Room, and Klutz prevent Poltergeist from working. So that means my Klutz Trick Assault Vest Golurk isn't just a meme anymore, but a slightly better meme? That's nice. If Smogon's dex says so I'll presume it has indeed been tested.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Various tests (thanks Cracitus for helping!):
  • Scale Shot's Defense/Speed stat effect won't apply if the move isn't successful (e.g. hits into a Fairy or Protect)
  • Scale Shot is not boosted by Sheer Force.
  • Burning Jealousy is boosted by Sheer Force (doesn't matter if the opponent met the burn condition this turn).
  • Burning Jealousy will burn a Defiant Pokemon that got a boost from an opponent's Intimidate on lead matchup. This is similar to Lash Out behavior that McCoolDude mentions.
  • Spectral Thief gaining boosts is a sufficient condition for triggering Burning Jealousy; Psych Up, Focus Energy, and G-Max Chi Strike are not.
  • Zaggyo (Japanese researcher) reports that Power Swap, Guard Swap, Topsy-Turvy, and Baton Pass aren't sufficient for triggering Burning Jealousy's burn effect either. Shield Dust will prevent the burn.
  • Regenerator is nullified while Neutralizing Gas is active, so you don't get HP back for switching out.
  • Illusion is not leaked in any way by the Y-info screen so far as I can tell. Using a Psychic-type move into a Zoroark disguised as a Dusclops didn't change anything either, it still displayed neutral effectiveness on Dusclops.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
As expected from all the testing so far, if:
1. Opponent 1 gains boosts.
2. Opponent 2 steals boosts from opponent 1 with Spectral Thief.
Then:
3. Burning Jealousy burns both Opponent 1 and Opponent 2.

---

Unrelatedly, you can hack in Pokemon that start off Dynamaxed. If you give them Illusion, they suddenly become huge when Illusion breaks.

Illusion can also disguise as a pre-Dynamaxed Pokemon in the back.

These pre-Dynamaxed mons were the reason Y-Comm broke before, but they don't really do anything interesting mechanics-wise since they don't get an HP boost or Max Moves upon being sent out. They shrink down to normal when Dynamax wears off and when withdrawn.

Last edited:
There is one conceivable way we could calibrate a reading for a "raw" G-max move, but it doesn't involve hacking, rather it involves the charge move replacement glitch. I haven't heard reports of anyone looking into what happens when you use that glitch to repeat a Max move or a G-Max move after dynamax is over, but I can think of two distinct ways it might behave:
  • If it worked the same way the glitch worked with Z-moves back in USUM, it will use the otherwise superfluous entry given for the innate max move's power in the move data table: this would be 100 for Max Flare, 10 for all other Max moves, and whatever a G-Max move comes up with could at least be estimated by examination (or possibly crash the game, you never know).
  • If it works the same way effects like Copycat and Grudge interact with Max moves, then the repeated move will be the base move of whatever was powered up, and not a Max move at all. This behavior would result in it being impossible to make any measured examination of anything that could be called "the innate raw power of a G-Max move".
Note that performing this glitch with Max moves in particular requires the use of a double battle where experience points are awarded and dynamax is allowed, and as far as I'm aware there are only two qualifying battles like that in the game: Raihan's gym match and the postgame daily rematch with Shigeki Morimoto from Game Freak.

There is one conceivable way we could calibrate a reading for a "raw" G-max move, but it doesn't involve hacking, rather it involves the charge move replacement glitch. I haven't heard reports of anyone looking into what happens when you use that glitch to repeat a Max move or a G-Max move after dynamax is over, but I can think of two distinct ways it might behave:
  • If it worked the same way the glitch worked with Z-moves back in USUM, it will use the otherwise superfluous entry given for the innate max move's power in the move data table: this would be 100 for Max Flare, 10 for all other Max moves, and whatever a G-Max move comes up with could at least be estimated by examination (or possibly crash the game, you never know).
  • If it works the same way effects like Copycat and Grudge interact with Max moves, then the repeated move will be the base move of whatever was powered up, and not a Max move at all. This behavior would result in it being impossible to make any measured examination of anything that could be called "the innate raw power of a G-Max move".
Note that performing this glitch with Max moves in particular requires the use of a double battle where experience points are awarded and dynamax is allowed, and as far as I'm aware there are only two qualifying battles like that in the game: Raihan's gym match and the postgame daily rematch with Shigeki Morimoto from Game Freak.
I remember how Snatch and Me First and Mirror Move would turn into their respective Z-moves while also getting the Z-effects for the status moves themselves.
Too bad all of these moves got snapped…

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
According to these tweets, GMax Starter moves are locked at 160 BP.
Confirm/implent this kthnx
Days ahead of you; people have been complaining about this on Twitter all week.
Does burning jealousy burn if you hit a Weakness Policy pokemon super effectively?
Nope, Weakness Policy triggers after Burning Jealousy's secondary effect.

DragonWhale also mentioned elsewhere that anecdotally, Quick Draw felt way more trigger happy than Quick Claw, which I also got a sense of before I switched to using an Own Tempo Slowbro. So I took the Quick Draw Slowbro out again, clicked attacking moves 220 times and got 68 activations, a breakdown of which is below (1 = activated, 0 = not).

It also felt very streaky, but that's RNG for you. 68/220 ≈ 30.91%

I'm pretty confident now that Quick Draw has a 30% chance to activate. Feel free to test for yourself and add your results to these!

Days ahead of you; people have been complaining about this on Twitter all week.

Nope, Weakness Policy triggers after Burning Jealousy's secondary effect.

DragonWhale also mentioned elsewhere that anecdotally, Quick Draw felt way more trigger happy than Quick Claw, which I also got a sense of before I switched to using an Own Tempo Slowbro. So I took the Quick Draw Slowbro out again, clicked attacking moves 220 times and got 68 activations, a breakdown of which is below (1 = activated, 0 = not).

It also felt very streaky, but that's RNG for you. 68/220 ≈ 30.91%

I'm pretty confident now that Quick Draw has a 30% chance to activate. Feel free to test for yourself and add your results to these!
With one sample test of proportions

Against null of chance = 0.2, p = 7e-5

However for chance = 0.25, p = 0.5165

True chance is likely not 20%, but not conclusive that the chance is not 25% yet (or 35% for the fact)

Matleo

Banned deucer.
no prankster user got Corrosive gas? hoped for Grimsnarl or other Prankster user to get it.

does Poltergeist work through a substitute or a protect???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)