Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

I’d like to discuss a water-ground type that I feel is being overlooked at the moment: Gastrodon.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 32 SpA / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon’s main niche over Swampert is its access to reliable recovery, which allows it to switch in repeatedly to special wallbreakers such as Nidoking, Magearna and Spectrier, whereas Swampert tends to get worn down over the course of a match. Storm Drain is also a much better ability than Torrent, improving Gastrodon’s matchup against rain by giving it a valuable water immunity.

The set above is the one I believe to be most effective. Scald provides a deterrent to physical attackers such as Rillaboom and Garchomp with the 30% burn chance, Earthquake provides ground STAB and allows Gastrodon to beat certain mons like Glowking and T-Tar. Toxic and Recover are obvious. Min speed means that Gastrodon doesn’t have to lower its defense or attacking stats to have a spdef boosting nature and lets it outspeed Magearna and Alolan Marowak under Trick Room. The 32 evs in special attack let Gastrodon break a few key Subs with Scald.

Gastrodon fills a slightly different role to Swampert, and is mainly designed to be a consistent switch-in to Nidoking, Glowking, Koko, Magearna and Offensive Zapdos. Given Magearna is due to rise to the top of the metagame with Urshifu likely to be banned soon, it‘s worth noting that Gastrodon checks pretty much all Magearna sets except Iron Defense CM and Modest Specs Fleur Cannon.
Relavent calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 157-187 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
36 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoking: 212-252 (69.9 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 180-213 (42.2 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 117-138 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- 61.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Slowking-Galar Psychic vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 111-132 (26 - 30.9%) -- 7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 224-266 (67.6 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon in Psychic Terrain: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

In my opinion, HDB is the single greatest contribution of this generation to competitive battling. This item singlehandedly saved several mons; no longer is it the case like in last gens that if you are SR weak, you will land at least a tier below where you would be if they didn't exist, and if you were 4x weak, have fun never getting higher than RU unless you build your whole team to save you from rocks(ok not literally but still). This item also offered a more engaging way of playing around hazards that goes both ways, since the player setting it can't just press a move once and call it a day. The great thing about HDB to me is that it fixes the problem of being rocks weak without totally removing it, as a proactive player can still get into situations where a knock off or trick sends a rocks weak mon back to the stone age(10/10 joke I know), but you actually have to work for it this time, instead of certain mons just getting blasted for the grave sin of having a certain typing. This stands in stark contrast to rapid spin, where the counterplay was basically, I'll send my ghost in lol, which I feel shifts the onus of proactive play on the person removing the rocks and not the guy who clicked one move once. So in conclusion, I would say that for the first time since they were introduced, rocks are in a healthy place in the metagame. Not healthy in the meaning that they aren't overpowered since it's damage per button press(a great scientific measure of damaging move usefulness made up by me right now) is probably still much higher than something like flamethrower, but that they are no longer an easy, set it and forget it move that disproportionally punishes a subset of pokemons with very limited counterplay.(disclaimer: this is all my personal opinion and based on feelings, rather than objectivity)

As for the spikes vs. rocks thing, I would agree spikes are greatly underrated RN, and are on average probably better than tSpikes and rocks. rocks just get resisted by steels, grounds and fighting mons, and tspikes seem very unreliable since 3 types are straight up immune to it, and one of them removes them by just coming in. Spikes on the other hand don't affect one type and do a decent amount to everything else, with the biggest thing being doing decent damage to steel which both other hazards struggle with. One of the best examples of spikes usefulness in the meta right now would be urshifu, a pokemon with no reliable recovery, but stealth rock resistant. A choice banded urshifu would be much harder to pivot in a million times if it takes spikes damage every time, thus increasing its cost for predicting which move to use, especially if it hits a rocky helmet or two on the way.(this is not a statement of whether urshifu is too good or not, just that in the meta where it is the premier mon, spikes are better than rocks). Spikes also get a decent boost with more stacks, 25% to everything is very hard to stomach for most teams, whereas the damage from 1 vs 2 layer tSpikes only begins to go in favor of 2 layers after the poisoned mon has been in play for 3 turns, and is in fact lower before then.
Also on a semi unrelated note, repeatedly phazing while 3 layers of spikes are down and you can feel the other guy losing his mind makes me feel strangely and inappropriately excited(thank you skarmory).

I’d like to discuss a water-ground type that I feel is being overlooked at the moment: Gastrodon.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 32 SpA / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon’s main niche over Swampert is its access to reliable recovery, which allows it to switch in repeatedly to special wallbreakers such as Nidoking, Magearna and Spectrier, whereas Swampert tends to get worn down over the course of a match. Storm Drain is also a much better ability than Torrent, improving Gastrodon’s matchup against rain by giving it a valuable water immunity.

The set above is the one I believe to be most effective. Scald provides a deterrent to physical attackers such as Rillaboom and Garchomp with the 30% burn chance, Earthquake provides ground STAB and allows Gastrodon to beat certain mons like Glowking and T-Tar. Toxic and Recover are obvious. Min speed means that Gastrodon doesn’t have to lower its defense or attacking stats to have a spdef boosting nature and lets it outspeed Magearna and Alolan Marowak under Trick Room. The 32 evs in special attack let Gastrodon break a few key Subs with Scald.

Gastrodon fills a slightly different role to Swampert, and is mainly designed to be a consistent switch-in to Nidoking, Glowking, Koko, Magearna and Offensive Zapdos. Given Magearna is due to rise to the top of the metagame with Urshifu likely to be banned soon, it‘s worth noting that Gastrodon checks pretty much all Magearna sets except Iron Defense CM and Modest Specs Fleur Cannon.
Relavent calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 157-187 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
36 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoking: 212-252 (69.9 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 180-213 (42.2 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 117-138 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- 61.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Slowking-Galar Psychic vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 111-132 (26 - 30.9%) -- 7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 224-266 (67.6 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Gastrodon in Psychic Terrain: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
would you ever consider running clear smog in place of toxic, to help with mons that try to set up on you, the most notable being cm clef? just asking since I was in a bit of a discussion on checking cm clef yesterday,and gastrodon did pop in my mind

Honestly in my eyes rocks, while not as universally game changing as before, as still highly important and better than spikes.

First of all, y'all are severely underestimating how easy it is to punish the boots users. Zapdos, for example, is often tasked with checking Rillaboom and Kartana, however if it does it risks getting its boots knocked off. It's a situation mostly in your favor where they can choose to potentially lose their boots or let those Pokémon wreak havoc, neither of which are very favorable. Cinderace seems like a great switch into Ferrothorn in paper but in practice that happens very rarely because it doesn't want to lose its boots to a predicted Knock Off.

But, of course, the argument in hand is whether rocks are really all that good, not whether Knock Off is a great move or not. The two reasons I think rocks are still superior than spikes is that, as I said, knocking the boots off sr weak Pokémon isn't very difficult, and the second is how Spikes aren't as easy to fit onto teams. While most mons have access to rocks in one way or another Spikes are way more limited in the way that Ferrothorn is the only good Spikes setter alongside the more niche Skarmory, which while an amazing and splashable Pokémon, not every team manages to fit it in.

glava222 said:
would you ever consider running clear smog in place of toxic, to help with mons that try to set up on you, the most notable being cm clef? just asking since I was in a bit of a discussion on checking cm clef yesterday,and gastrodon did pop in my mind

The issue with clear smog is it doesn’t affect Magearna, which is arguably the most threatening setup sweeper in the meta, and only has limited use against physical sweepers since Gastrodon doesn’t want to take an unboosted physical hit anyway. I see your point about CM Clef, and it would probably help against Fini as well, but most Clefs are physdef at the moment because of Shifu. Tbh, though, I think Toxic provides better utility against more mons, but clear smog might be an option once Urshifu gets banned.

The issue with clear smog is it doesn’t affect Magearna, which is arguably the most threatening setup sweeper in the meta, and only has limited use against physical sweepers since Gastrodon doesn’t want to take an unboosted physical hit anyway. I see your point about CM Clef, and it would probably help against Fini as well, but most Clefs are physdef at the moment because of Shifu. Tbh, though, I think Toxic provides better utility against more mons, but clear smog might be an option once Urshifu gets banned.
yes of course, mostly the reasoning was that you use it as a niche option if you already have toxic on your team, and suffer from CM clef and taunt CM fini, and a lot of stall teams are weak to taunt CM fini,as another nice thing about it compared to haze is you can use it while taunted
Edit: it can also help to not be 2hkod by nasty plot therian bros, especially if you take into account they will be trying to hit you with meme miss moves to take you out

Last edited:
yes of course, mostly the reasoning was that you use it as a niche option if you already have toxic on your team, and suffer from CM clef and taunt CM fini, and a lot of stall teams are weak to taunt CM fini,as another nice thing about it compared to haze is you can use it while taunted
Edit: it can also help to not be 2hkod by nasty plot therian bros, especially if you take into account they will be trying to hit you with meme miss moves to take you out
I think one of the other great reasons to use Gastro is that it is the only viable user of Sticky Hold, which is a great way to deter Knock Off spam as there aren't many ways to do besides sacking your Clef or Pex's items. Toxic Spikes are so good for Pex that I rarely see them run Toxic so I've messed around casually with using HDB Sticky Hold Gastrodon as a consistent switch in and it works well. Without a premier offensive Water type like Ash-Greninja to counter, I don't think there's too much of an opportunity cost to running Sticky Hold. You're not as good against Fini and Suicune, but Clear Smog SpDef Gastro does similarly against Fini and Storm Drain Gastro is forced to PP stall vs Suicune with double switches to come out on top anyways.

I think one of the other great reasons to use Gastro is that it is the only viable user of Sticky Hold, which is a great way to deter Knock Off spam as there aren't many ways to do besides sacking your Clef or Pex's items. Toxic Spikes are so good for Pex that I rarely see them run Toxic so I've messed around casually with using HDB Sticky Hold Gastrodon as a consistent switch in and it works well. Without a premier offensive Water type like Ash-Greninja to counter, I don't think there's too much of an opportunity cost to running Sticky Hold. You're not as good against Fini and Suicune, but Clear Smog SpDef Gastro does similarly against Fini and Storm Drain Gastro is forced to PP stall vs Suicune with double switches to come out on top anyways.
I love Sticky Hold! The other thing it allows you completely counter is Trick Magearna. With Sticky Hold, you become an actual FULL Magearna counter (other than Iron Defense). I used to run Earth Power on it until Magearna came back, cause you need to be able to bop it even after a Calm Mind or two. Gastro has been incredibly solid, but I cycle back and forth between HDB or Lefties on it.

But then Gastrodon loses to rain and cant stop Swamperts attempts at gaining momentum. Why not just use a defogger? And considering how many poison types are good, you dont have to worry about tspikes and most defoggers arent affected by spikes. It takes minimal damage from stealth rocks and is healed by lefties recovery. Storm drain is a superior ability to Sticky hold imo.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I love Sticky Hold! The other thing it allows you completely counter is Trick Magearna. With Sticky Hold, you become an actual FULL Magearna counter (other than Iron Defense). I used to run Earth Power on it until Magearna came back, cause you need to be able to bop it even after a Calm Mind or two. Gastro has been incredibly solid, but I cycle back and forth between HDB or Lefties on it.
Gastrodon with Sticky Hold sadly isn’t a counter to Specs Magearna, since even with max SpDef, it’s likely (and actually guaranteed unless Gastrodon has Lefties and Rocks aren’t up), to get 2HKOed by Fleur Cannon:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 286-337 (67.1 - 79.1%)
-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 144-169 (33.8 - 39.6%)

I think one of the other great reasons to use Gastro is that it is the only viable user of Sticky Hold
Storm drain is a superior ability to Sticky hold imo
Really think two (or more ?) sets work for gastrodon :
one is SpD scald absorb, two imunities (with twave immun too) being good in some balanced teams that need it, and gastrodon is a good status spammer with toxic and scald, supported by earthquake for pex, glowking, some others ... as shown C'Servine
The other one is the Physically Defensive with sticky hold, rocky helmet or leftovers that grant a switch on knock off (except boom and karta) and an answer against scarf-trick users : some teams can't go without item-removal answer (think about fat and stall ; SR weakness ; and every team that add long battle possibilities = need lefties & boots on most 'mons).

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Storm drain is a superior ability to Sticky hold imo.
I would rather use Sticky Hold over Storm Drain in most cases. As Megas and Z's no longer exist in this generation we have seen a surge of Trick sets on Pokemon like Lati@s, Magearna, and Clefable, and Knock Off became exceptionally good as it always guaranteed an item loss and this had a direct impact on Pokemon like Clefable and Toxapex getting a lot of use in DLC1 as these are two Pokemon that does not mind losing their items too much. Hell, at one point in DLC1 we have seen Spore Amoonguss Assault Vest sets because one of mindsets behind it was "its either getting tricked or knocked" . This obviously leaves you open to Water-type attacks, especially Scald. But is this a bad thing? By getting burnt by Scald you are now unable to get Toxic'd which is a win. Burn damage is sustainable with Leftovers negating it + Recovery. Overall I think Sticky Hold is much more consistent and alot more valuable than being immune to water + spatk boosts .

Perish Song said:
This obviously leaves you open to Water-type attacks, especially Scald. But is this a bad thing? By getting burnt by Scald you are now unable to get Toxic'd which is a win. Burn damage is sustainable with Leftovers negating it + Recovery. Overall I think Sticky Hold is much more consistent and alot more valuable than being immune to water + spatk boosts .
Gastrodon doesn’t want to get burnt, because then it can’t beat Magearna and Glowking with EQ. As was already mentioned, without Storm Drain you get demolished by Rain, and you can’t stop stuff like Barraskewda and Swampert from gaining momentum with Flip Turn. Storm Drain also makes you immune to Whirlpool so Gastrodon can’t be trapped by Perish Song Azumarill.

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Flip Turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon in Rain: 321-378 (75.3 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Katy

Banned deucer.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Sticky Hold means you're taking boosted Knock Off damage every time right?
Knock Off cannot remove the held item of a target that has Sticky Hold, but the bonus damage will apply anyway.

This is what I've found on Bulbapedia for Sticky Hold in correlation with the move Knock Off. So the damage-boost still stays even when Gastrodon or any other Pokémon has Sticky Hold as ability.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Gastrodon doesn’t want to get burnt, because then it can’t beat Magearna and Glowking with EQ.
You dont really beat Magearna anyway that Fleur Cannon 2HKOs you even with min rolls (If SpD, Physdef variants are likely to get OHKOed), tho its open to discussion if trading half a Magearna with a Gastrodon is a good trade.

As was already mentioned, without Storm Drain you get demolished by Rain, and you can’t stop stuff like Barraskewda and Swampert from gaining momentum with Flip Turn.
Cant argue with this, gotta give credit Storm Drain having defensive utilities against rain. However, a few things to note here.

1. Rain teams almost always consists of a Ferrothorn which is very likely to abuse existing Gastrodon with Leech / Spikes / Whatever.
2. Band Skewda still has good coverage in Crunch / Close Combat so you get 2HKOd either way unless physically defensive.
3. Most Swampert sets features Protect and Toxic in the same set so while you block a potential momentum gain you risk getting Toxic'd and losing any potential momentum gain you aim to achieve because you end up losing momentum as you recover and Swampert switches out.

Urshifu is now banned from ou. What do we think will spark up in usage and drop in usage ??? :smogduck:
Regarding this, personally I think the most significant one would be the move Protect/Baneful Bunker will rise in usage, that move never had a chance to shine when Urshifu is roaming around the tier. Things like Clefable, Landorus-T, Heatran, Toxapex will appreciate it for gaining a turn for passive recovery or scouting for potential choiced move.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Winners of Urshifu-S Ban:
:clefable: is now free to run more sets than only the physically defensive Stealth Rock set. I could see Calm Mind sets or even sets with a little bit more SpDef invest for Clefable.
:tapu fini: gets freed up more in its ability to check other threats better, also its Calm Mind set gets freed up.
:spectrier: loses 1 offensive check, gets more dominant, appreciates 1 Pokemon less with having the Sucker Punch mindgames coming at its way.
:hydreigon: loves urshifu-s gone as it can now check the above mentioned Spectrier much safer.
:latios: I can see Latios a little bit freed up as well. Can run more offensive sets now without Urshifu-S in the tier.
:kyurem: I feel like Kyurem can get better too again, being an ice-type was a little bit unfort, when you got outsped by the most relevant fighting-type in the tier, but with Urshifu-S gone, I see it getting more used in the tier.

Losers of Urshifu-S Ban:
:buzzwole: Buzzwole will drastically fall in usage as its mainjob of checking Urshifu-S is gone, it also is not splashable at all and won't fit on any team archetype as its a rather weird Pokemon in general. Buzzwole will definitely drop in Usage.
:Moltres: with Urshifu-S gone Moltres will also be on the losers side as it could still check the choice-locked sets when Shifu was locked into a Close Combat in hope to dish out Flame Body burns on it; Moltres already lost a good chunk of viability recently in my eyes, but with Shifu gone, it will drop more in its usage.

Neutral after Urshifu-S Ban:
:reuniclus: loves Urshifu gone, but with Spectrier and therefore Dark-types being so high in usage, it kind of doesn't appreciate the metagame still.
:Gengar: the same case as Reuniclus.

I am excited of how the metagame will develop now with :urshifu: (Single-Strike) banned, and I hope we can see what future problems are with Urshifu being gone now are. I expect Spectrier to be much more problematic as it has to fear 1 less offensive Check to it. But I think at the same time, Stealth Rock-setter are now a little bit more freed up, as a lot of teams relied on physically defensive Clefable.

Thanks for reading everyone!​

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Urshifu is now banned from ou. What do we think will spark up in usage and drop in usage ??? :smogduck:
Obviously this is just speculation, but I don't anticipate that the usage of too many Pokemon will change drastically. I feel like Urshifu didn't really limit the viability of Pokemon so much as it promoted the use of things like Clef and Buzzwole. I imagine that Buzzwole's usage is going to continue to drop off and I wouldn't really be surprised if it ends up eventually falling out of OU. People may initially try to replace Clef on their teams with other defensive/utility options so Clef's usage might drop a little, but I think that Clef is too versatile and Fairy typing and Magic Guard are too valuable for it to really ever fall off. I don't really think that too many Pokemon are going to rise directly as a result of Urshifu being banned, since it's not like people were thinking things like "I really want to use Corviknight as my Defogger but I'm too weak to Urshifu," since it's not like there was a Defogger that really answered Urshifu anyway. Maybe teams aren't going to feel as pressed to use Clef as their Rocks setter so you could see other SR options like Hippo rise a little, but Clef offers enough unique attributes that it's not like it was used exclusively over other Rocks setter simply to check Urshifu (I've said this before, but this isn't a situation like Dracovish mandating Seismitoad usage), and a lot of Clefs didn't carry Rocks anyway. I also don't really think that some of the Dark resists like Mandibuzz and defensive Hydreigon that were paired with Pex to check Urshifu are going to drop too much either, because I feel like Spectrier is just as restricting as Urshifu was, and as long as it's in the tier, defensive Dark types will have value.

So instead of seeing dramatic usage shifts regarding which Pokemon are used as a whole, I feel like we are going to see more moveset/spread shifts. Things like Clef will be able to run other sets like Moonblast/Wish/Protect/Teleport again. We could also see specially defensive variants of things like Clef or Pex, or maybe even AV Tangrowth become more common, although physically defensive sets of those Pokemon were used for more than just Urshifu.

25oof said:
I feel that with Shifu gone, the meta will open up to more physical Dark or Fighting types that were previously outshone by Urshifu. Bisharp, Kommo-o and Krookodile come to mind, and obviously Urshifu checks such as Clef will appreciate being able to run spdef sets again. Lower tier physical walls weak to Shifu’s STAB may be seen occasionally now, and Amoongus and Tangrowth will probably also see a rise in usage. Other than that, though, I don’t think the meta will change that much, apart from Buzzwole plummeting in usage.

Pretty sure Spectrier will raise to new ban-target that restrain building ^^'

Speed Tiers are moving ! Much more breakers =)​
& some walls 2hkoed by shifu will back or be better
► Hippodown, Skarmory, Kyurem, Mimikyu, Bisharp, Aegislash shadow sneak, band Ttar, defensive Corviknight, drum-Azu, Togekiss, Diggersby, Conkeldurr, defensive Ferrothorn, SpD Amoongus, Crawdaunt, Lele
► Some sun with safer Torkoal
► Grimmsnarl with strongers screens
curious about futur of Kommo-O, defensive Scizor, Tangrowth, Curselax, rotom-crew

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)