Metagame Sketchmons

I've found that Magearna running a Reuniclus set kinda just autowins against HO, and just any team without Haze/Topsy-Turvy

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Shore Up
- Draining Kiss

Draining Kiss allows you to hit Dark types, and gives some recovery. Max Def ensures that it'll live most supereffective hits, which are generally coming from the likes of Lando-T, Garchomp, etc., and it can generally take a STAB Surging Strikes quite well.
However, like any Stored Power set, it just autoloses to Haze and Topsy-Turvy, so it is quite matchup dependent.

Edit: spelling error

Last edited:
Here's another team I've had success with; I was around ~11 or 12 on the ladder this afternoon with it.

https://pokepast.es/0e30a41af86eadee

I'm consistently impressed with SD Urshifu, its damage output makes a Jolly Nature a good option, especially to outspeed the crowded 90-95 speed tier. Remember that since Wicked Blow always crits, you can still hit hard even if you were Prankster Topsy-Turvyed. Mimikyu is a lifesaver with Spectral Thief and has a solid damage output in general. Secret Sword and Dragon Ascent are crazy good. Unrelated to this team, Magearna is still terrifying, Transform on Chansey and Blissey is still annoying (but not very good imo), and Strength Sap is total bullshit and way better than Shore Up in most situations.

I believe every team needs a solid answer to set-up spam in this meta. Prankster Topsy-Turvy, Unaware, Spectral Thief, etc are all solid options. Priority spam helps deal with it too but fat boosters and Psychic Terrain will be hard to deal with. This meta is pretty offensively inclined in general and unless more bans arrive, I don't foresee that changing, because slow, fat teams really have no good answers for Rillaboom, Blacephalon, and weather abusers. On that note, the next thing I plan to explore is the unga bunga, glue eating, button-clicking mons that have no switchins. This meta is full of cool options, like Lando-T with Dragon Ascent, Darmanitan with Bolt Strike, Regidrago with Blue Flare / Searing Shot, Magearna with Secret Sword, Gengar with Secret Sword or Astral Barrage, Heatran with Apple Acid (great move btw), and more of Blacephalon / Koko / Lele / Rillaboom / other common stuff right now. Their defensive counterplay is limited by the fact that they don't need to set up in order to kill things, so the aforementioned set-up spam answers can't deal with them well. I'd love to hear what other mons people have been enjoying.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sketchmons-1335089778

As you can see by my pfp I like volcarona so I thought I would share 2 volcarona sets that I have found to have been pretty good in sketchmons. These sets are variants of the classic bulky and offensive volcarona sets that you see in ou with a sketched move to make it able to counter its checks better.
Offensive:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower/Fire blast
- Psychic
- Secret Sword

In ou the 4 main volcarona checks are heatran, Bliseey, Toxapex, and ttar and this set has the tools to beat all of them. Secret sword gives volcarona a fighting coverage move that hits on the physical side allowing it to hit sp def heatran, ttar, and blissey for great damage while psychic is there to hit pex. However, this set doesn't have any bulk or ways to heal leaving it vulnerable to priority so be careful.

Bulky:
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power/Secret Sword

On the bulky set I generally prefer to run earth power instead of secret sword as it covers Heatran, ttar, and pex in one move slot which is important as you lose to slots due to quiver dance and roost, however, if you find blissey more common than pex you can still run secret sword. This set is less weak to priority as it can take more hits and heal up but does struggle a bit more to beat its checks. Still a good set though and worth running.

Overall Secret sword and earth power give Volcarona the ability to outmuscle some of its biggest counters and allows volcarona to do its thing of quiver sweeping much better. So if you are like me, and love the firey moth of death feel free to try these out.

This set keeps getting an error. It says Teleport and Soft-Boiled are sketched moves, as well as transform.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Transform
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport

This set keeps getting an error. It says Teleport and Soft-Boiled are sketched moves, as well as transform.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Transform
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
Its because clefable cannot have teleport and softboiled on the same moveset because of an event iirc. So it sees ur teleport as sketches since they cant be on same moveset normally.

im having trouble validating my team, it only says like "Archeops already has Skill Swap as a sketched move. " and like "archeops cant learn diamond storm" pls help

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
As you can see by my pfp I like volcarona so I thought I would share 2 volcarona sets that I have found to have been pretty good in sketchmons. These sets are variants of the classic bulky and offensive volcarona sets that you see in ou with a sketched move to make it able to counter its checks better.
Offensive:
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower/Fire blast
- Psychic
- Secret Sword

In ou the 4 main volcarona checks are heatran, Bliseey, Toxapex, and ttar and this set has the tools to beat all of them. Secret sword gives volcarona a fighting coverage move that hits on the physical side allowing it to hit sp def heatran, ttar, and blissey for great damage while psychic is there to hit pex. However, this set doesn't have any bulk or ways to heal leaving it vulnerable to priority so be careful.

Bulky:
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power/Secret Sword

On the bulky set I generally prefer to run earth power instead of secret sword as it covers Heatran, ttar, and pex in one move slot which is important as you lose to slots due to quiver dance and roost, however, if you find blissey more common than pex you can still run secret sword. This set is less weak to priority as it can take more hits and heal up but does struggle a bit more to beat its checks. Still a good set though and worth running.

Overall Secret sword and earth power give Volcarona the ability to outmuscle some of its biggest counters and allows volcarona to do its thing of quiver sweeping much better. So if you are like me, and love the firey moth of death feel free to try these out.
...why do people always beat me to making these posts while im at school?

hard agree. just pointing out that you can use earth power on the offensive set to hit both heatran and pex.

RoyalReloaded

!
is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
Hello, I've been really enjoying this format even though I am not the best of the best at it. I'm having lots of fun with these 2 sets in particular. I hope you guys can enjoy them too!

Xurkitree
Xurkitree @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Eruption Xurkitree is really strong, especially with sticky webs support! The only problem is Landorus.

Conkeldurr
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Surging Strikes
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

I've always been a huge fan of conkeldurr, but I'm not a big fan of using Guts pokemon. In gen 5 I always used to use iron fist + 4 punch attacks, so I decided to try using this one again! The only problem is Rocky Helmet users, so you can use Protective Pads if you want, but I decided for assault vest because it's the item I used way back when.

I hope you guys decide to try out my sets! Even though these sets might not be the most optimal, that's what I like about this format, it's all about creativity. I've been having a lot of fun playing Sketchmons, I hope you are too. Thanks for reading! :)

Bit of a gimmick admittedly, but...

:ss/(Hawlucha):
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics

It makes it much easier to remove opposing Zapdos/Mandibuzz/whatever without risking a Stone Edge miss, and the chance of a defense boost can help against the priority which seems to be everywhere

And while we're on the topic of Fighting/Flying types...

:ss/(Zapdos-Galar):
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunderous Kick
- Dragon Ascent
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I personally love using Zap-G, but I find that its reliance on the recoil-inducing Brave Bird as a move to spam hinders it. Dragon Ascent fixes that, since it's just Flying-type Close Combat.

And it just occurred to me, another potential abuser of Dragon Ascent:

:ss/(Gyarados):
Gyarados @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall / Substitute

I haven't tested this yet but I presume that Gyara would appreciate a reliable Flying STAB very much.

Last edited:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Flip Turn
Similar to Alphabet Cup, Primarina can make use of STAB Boomburst to deal a huge damage to almost everything that doesn't resist it. It can also bypass substitutes and has pivot in Flip Turn to pivot out from defensive threats as Toxapex. Psychic can be used over turn or energy ball to hit toxapex or amoonguss. It can also run a Subs+CM set to setup in defensive mons that rely on status or can't hit primarina hard enough to break it.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock
- Filler
Another Boomburst abuser but now with Fairy STAB, Sylveon also has Psyshock to deal with Toxapex, but now it has Mystical Fire to hit Steel-types. It can be used with a WishTect set as Boomburst will be strong even without investment. Specs set can run Quick Attack as fourth slot to pick damaged threats

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Toxic
- Cosmic Power
- Rest
Battle Armor denies crits that would hit through Cosmic Power. The poison type of Drapion denies getting poisoned.
Edit: Also Drapion has only one weakness in ground, which further enables Cosmic Power setup. A Grassy Terrain party member would be a nice support, not only to help with the ground weakness but the heal helps with the setup too.

Last edited:

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Toxic
- Cosmic Power
- Rest
Battle Armor denies crits that would hit through Cosmic Power. The poison type of Drapion denies getting poisoned.
What is with the EV spread?

Drifblim @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Transform
- Imprison
- Strength Sap
- Bind

Might be too slow but Transform + Imprison could ruin the other pokemon and potentially stop setups.

If anyone is in need of some heavy hitters for their team, I recommend giving one of these a go:

1620539477104.png

Rhyperior
Now able to call itself one of the strongest priority users in the game, playing with EVs on this mon can help you counter just about anything that isn't a grass or water type, and even then, this guy is going to give any physical attacker a hard time, 4x weakness or not. For example, if you knocked off Bulu's choice band, you have a good chance to beat it:
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior in Grassy Terrain: 390-462 (89.8 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (You could add more def EVs to make this certain)
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 338-398 (98.2 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
(This is a garuanteed OKHO if they are running any speed instead of HP)
With so many mons opting to add things like icebeam coverage, Rhyperior has an easy time abusing this "weakness" and setting up to +4 in a single turn, from which its quite simple putting holes in the enemy's team. When you have a ground type with 140 attack, strong priority stab, 115 Hp and 130 defence, you have a pokemon that fills both the "defensive wall" niche and the "late game sweeper" niche in one oversized ugly package.

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

1620539442002.png

Thundurus-I
This mon has always been just 1-stab move away from being an OU staple. So what happens if you combine the monstrous 145 Special attack stat and 101 speed with one of the best typing combination, electric immunity and a reliably good flying move, which also happens to be the best HP-draining move in the game? You get a pokemon that is capable of sweeping just about every team you could possibly come up against. Oblivion wing does 80 damage and heals for 75% of damage dealt, not just 50%. This thing will be 2HKOing Chansey/Blissey after 2 nasty plots and recovering 100% health with each hit. If your opponent doesn't outspeed and KO you, they're going to become food.
I opted for sludge bomb as an easy Koko counter. But you also have focus blast for steels, grass knot for grounds and more niche options.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)