(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Possibly, because it's not clear exactly where in Johto they could be talking about - the area described doesn't match up with any area in Johto we've yet seen.

The exact quotes about Kalos and Sinnoh are:

Join us in the swamplands of Kalos where we found a mythical Volcanion!

Kalos actually has two areas that could qualify - that could be Route 14, but seems more likely to be around Route 19 as it's further south.

Join us in the untouched woodlands of the Sinnoh region where we found a mythical Volcanion!

That could be pretty much anywhere - Sinnoh's map has a lot of empty space.

And then Johto's quote is:

Join us in a desert island in the Johto region where we found a mythical Volcanion!

Uh... where's that, then? Might just be a random off-the-cuff description someone thought up, but it's a weirdly incongruous one for a region with no known desert islands. And Johto's a mountainous region so they could just have said "uncharted mountains" or something.
The Sevii Islands, maybe? Or something like it? I'm pretty sure the Sevii Islands are more associated with Kanto and/or are considered part of Kanto, but Johto and Kanto are right next to each other and Sevii is also associated with Johto in the sense that it's how a bunch of Johto Pokemon were made available in Gen 3. If not any of the islands visited in-game, maybe some previously-unvisted island like Birth Island and Navel Rock.

Possibly, because it's not clear exactly where in Johto they could be talking about - the area described doesn't match up with any area in Johto we've yet seen.

The exact quotes about Kalos and Sinnoh are:

Join us in the swamplands of Kalos where we found a mythical Volcanion!

Kalos actually has two areas that could qualify - that could be Route 14, but seems more likely to be around Route 19 as it's further south.

Join us in the untouched woodlands of the Sinnoh region where we found a mythical Volcanion!

That could be pretty much anywhere - Sinnoh's map has a lot of empty space.

Join us in a desert island in the Johto region where we found a mythical Volcanion!

Uh... where's that, then? Might just be a random off-the-cuff description someone thought up, but it's a weirdly incongruous one for a region with no known desert islands. And Johto's a mountainous region so they could just have said "uncharted mountains" or something.
Mountains, swamplands, woodlands, a desert....what a strange set of habitats you dwell in, volcanion.

"Desert island" isn't "Island with no water", it's "Island with no humans", deserted island. So the Whirl Islands work, and there's plenty of space for other islands in the vicinity that you just don't visit.

"Desert island" isn't "Island with no water", it's "Island with no humans", deserted island. So the Whirl Islands work, and there's plenty of space for other islands in the vicinity that you just don't visit.
Except it is "a desert island", an island that has a desert habitat

if it was meant to deserted it would be "a deserted island"

I think the throughline on all these habitats is:
-misty/foggy mountains
-foggy boglands
-thick woods likely fully of misty and dark shadows
-a hot island that would cause mirages

obscuring "weather" conditions

Except it is "a desert island", an island that has a desert habitat

if it was meant to deserted it would be "a deserted island"
"Desert island" and "deserted island" are synonyms.

Wikipedia said:
Uninhabited islands are sometimes also called "deserted islands" or "desert islands". In the latter, the adjective desert connotes not desert climate conditions, but rather "desolate and sparsely occupied or unoccupied". The word desert has been "formerly applied more widely to any wild, uninhabited region, including forest-land", and it is this archaic meaning that appears in the phrase "desert island".
Wikipedia's source is the Oxford English Dictionary, but their website requires a subscription to view. Other dictionaries I've found echo the definition the basic definition, but don't go into the etymology.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash in general is arguably one of the weirdest evolutions in that it is not a "direct upgrade" from its pre-evolution statistically like most evolutions are. Aegislash is rather a very completely divergent Pokemon from its pre-evolutions, especially Doublade. Doublade is inherently a weird case where despite being a mid-evolution, by its stats you can tell it's a very decent and functional Pokemon in its own right, with a distinct stat spread that is min-maxed with high physical stats and low special stats, and low Speed, and it is a natural statistical upgrade from Honedge like most evolved forms are.

But when you go from Doublade to Aegislash, Aegislash is effectively a completely different Pokemon from Doublade and Honedge. In terms of its stat build, it changes entirely so it has low offensive stats and high defensive stats. Unlike Honedge and Doublade who had a standard ability in No Guard and were by all means a typical Pokemon with nothing special going for them, Aegislash also changes to become a gimmick/novelty Pokemon, as its ability changes to a unique signature one in Stance Change, which gives it a gimmick of two forms, where it transforms into an offensively oriented form where its usual high defensive, low offensive stat build switches to a high offensive, low defensive stat build, when attacking, and when defending with its new signature move, King's Shield, it changes back. Aegislash is effectively entirely different from Doublade and Honedge in that regard in that the way its stats and ability change turn it into a functionally different Pokemon who is also a unique gimmick Pokemon, with a unique gameplan tha neither of its pre-evolutions use.

While BST wise Aegislash is an upgrade from Doublade in that it gains 72 stat points upon evolving (448->520 BST) in Gens 6-7, and after the recent Aegislash nerf in SwSh a mere 52 stat point increase (448->500 BST), from a build standpoint Aegislash is completely and utterly different from its pre-evolutions. It is bar none one of the most unusual evolutions in that regard, as usually an evolution is a statistical upgrade from its pre-evolution, but Aegislash while having a higher BST than Doublade is effectively an entirely different Pokemon, the only thing they have in common is their shared typing and movepool by virtue of being in the same evolution line.

I don't know what they were thinking with it in particular, and I'm not mad about it personally since that's what makes Aegislash such a cool and interesting Pokemon to me, but Aegislash is definitely an extraordinarily unusual evolution among evolutionary lines in that regard and most certainly isn't like most evolutions in terms of how it changes from its pre-evolution.

Here's a post to the feature no one really talks about!

1655463179809.png

w h y ?

Okay, okay, to give a little background, this is something I simultaneously like AND dislike.

Basically, in FireRed and LeafGreen, every time you load your save data, the game will recap what you did last. On the one hand, I like this, mostly because I rarely finish RPGs and like reminders of what I did last (I blame my ADD and preference for familiar games with variation, which Pokemon has in spades). On the other hand, when you're marathoning games day-to-day for tier lists and the like, you really start to notice how stuff like this and the C-Gear prompts really add up time when you boot up the game.

This feature would make a return in the series one generation later in the form of the Guidebook, and this is something I can actually get behind.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Guidebook

The Guidebook records limited notes on the player's daily gameplay activities, and can be viewed from the Bag. In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it is brought up automatically when returning to the game after two or more days have passed without making a new save."

Translation: this thing
1655463583994.png

Since it is brought up when 2+ days have passed, that's actually neat as a quick refresher even if you still likely button mash past it. It's still a little annoyance, but a bit more understandable.

I've taken both Doublade and Aegislash through X and I'd argue Doublade may be actually better in-game. No need for King's Shield makes the moveset easier, there's very little reason to put the effort in to switch to special attacks, Eviolite works, and most importantly, you don't have to pull stance dance mindgames against the AI.
Yeah, when I played Y for the first time, I never used Aegislash since I didn't know it even evolved and just ran with Duoblade for the whole game. TBF, as far as middle evolutions go, Duoblade is probably one of the best ones since its stats are pretty min-maxed.

Speaking of Aegislash, I hate how it was nerfed. You'd think the Sword and Shield Pokemon would be buffed in Sword and Shield,, but I guess that made too much sense. They nerfed its stats, its signature move, and w/ Dynamax since it is one of the weaker Dynamaxers out there due to not being able to use King's Shield. I don't think any Pokemon has been nerfed to the extent Aegislash was. Other Pokemon that were nerfed, like Mega Khangaskhan, only got a nerf to their abilities or moves. However, Aegislash is the first Pokemon to have its stats straight up lowered, on top of its main move being nerfed.

What also sucks is that Aegislash didn't really get too many new toys in Sword and Shield either. Steel Beam and Close Combat are cool, but both moves have severe drawbacks. Other moves like Poltergeist or new coverage from a move like Leaf Blade would have been a lot more interesting I think.

Yeah, when I played Y for the first time, I never used Aegislash since I didn't know it even evolved and just ran with Duoblade for the whole game. TBF, as far as middle evolutions go, Duoblade is probably one of the best ones since its stats are pretty min-maxed.

Speaking of Aegislash, I hate how it was nerfed. You'd think the Sword and Shield Pokemon would be buffed in Sword and Shield,, but I guess that made too much sense. They nerfed its stats, its signature move, and w/ Dynamax since it is one of the weaker Dynamaxers out there due to not being able to use King's Shield. I don't think any Pokemon has been nerfed to the extent Aegislash was. Other Pokemon that were nerfed, like Mega Khangaskhan, only got a nerf to their abilities or moves. However, Aegislash is the first Pokemon to have its stats straight up lowered, on top of its main move being nerfed.

What also sucks is that Aegislash didn't really get too many new toys in Sword and Shield either. Steel Beam and Close Combat are cool, but both moves have severe drawbacks. Other moves like Poltergeist or new coverage from a move like Leaf Blade would have been a lot more interesting I think.
Yeah, someone at GF must have had a really bad time in Battle Spot Singles in Gen 7, they really did it dirty in SwSh. :(

I remember at the beginning of the datamine I had my fingers crossed for the longshot that Aegislash would get some cool forms or something when holding the rusted sword/shield, but nope. I would've been happy with no forms but being able to use Behemoth Blade/Bash when holding the item.

I woulda gone with Wisp, not necessarily for Aegislash, but mainly because it annoys me that Honedge and Doublade don't get anything cool to abuse No Guard with. Machamp and Golurk get Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge, Lycanroc gets Stone Edge, Mega Pidgeot gets Hurricane, even Karrablast gets Megahorn. Doublade gets... Screech and Metal Sound. Allowing its weak SpDef to be better abused by Fire Blast is cool, but it's not cool enough.

Yeah, someone at GF must have had a really bad time in Battle Spot Singles in Gen 7, they really did it dirty in SwSh. :(

I remember at the beginning of the datamine I had my fingers crossed for the longshot that Aegislash would get some cool forms or something when holding the rusted sword/shield, but nope. I would've been happy with no forms but being able to use Behemoth Blade/Bash when holding the item.
As much as I enjoy the idea of a haunted sword wielding its own smaller sword, there's absolutely no way Aegislash would ever be given special formes/moves/etc with the Rusted Sword and Rusted Shield, let alone in the same generation Zacian and Zamazenta were introduced.

Aegislash is in the unfortunate position of having been way way better in PvP than in single-player Pokemon. Game Freak went full scorched earth with its nerfs, so now it's a little underwhelming in PvP and honestly kinda frustrating to use as an in-game mon.

I woulda gone with Wisp, not necessarily for Aegislash, but mainly because it annoys me that Honedge and Doublade don't get anything cool to abuse No Guard with. Machamp and Golurk get Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge, Lycanroc gets Stone Edge, Mega Pidgeot gets Hurricane, even Karrablast gets Megahorn. Doublade gets... Screech and Metal Sound. Allowing its weak SpDef to be better abused by Fire Blast is cool, but it's not cool enough.
YES. That always bugged me. Salt in the wound is that their most common coverage move is Sacred Sword, which should never miss anyway. Giving them some low-accuracy moves would be a buff that helps Doublade/Honedge a lot and doesn't help Aegislash as much. Iron Tail would be obvious, as is WillO, but they don't even get Poltergeist, which is the only not-perfect accuracy Ghost move out there.

I assume they don't have a HA because they don't want it to evolve from a mon with an HA to one without, but they've done that before and had no issues. It's just such a weird choice for an ability/moveset combo.

Pokémon that lose their hidden abilities upon evolution are rare, mostly Trapinch -> Vibrava and the cocoons. Starting in Gen 6, if a Pokémon only has one ability, it's usually a gimmick or they're a legendary... and Turtonator for some reason.

Wisp + Hex is one of the things I wished Aegislash got in SwSh but didn't.

I do agree that No Guard is a hinderance on Duoblade. Part of me wishes it got Guillotine, but know that that'll never happen lol. Apart from that and Wisp, I can't really see it getting anything else as far as low accuracy moves are concerned. Iron Tail would be a cool option, but is unlikely since the clotch is more like a hand than a tail.

Pokémon that lose their hidden abilities upon evolution are rare, mostly Trapinch -> Vibrava and the cocoons. Starting in Gen 6, if a Pokémon only has one ability, it's usually a gimmick or they're a legendary... and Turtonator for some reason.
I decided to check, because I wanted to see how common losing or gaining a hidden ability slot was. Alolan Raichu, Pupitar, Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon, Cascoon, Shedinja, Trapinch, Ferroseed. So the cocoons, but also some other ones basically at random. Which is odd. Like, I could agree with you, except Alolan Raichu was Gen VII and clearly not a mistake or a gimmick that requires the ability for the mon. And why did they give Ferrothorn a HA in Gen VI but not Ferroseed?

Does GF have a series bible somewhere in their offices with rules for how this stuff works, or do they just make things up as they go along?

it's usually a gimmick or they're a legendary... and Turtonator for some reason.
Don't forget levitate users. The only ones that get other abilities are the Bronzor line, who had 2 different abilities to counter one of their (at the time) only two weaknesses and then got Heavy metal as their Hidden Ability in Gen V, and the Koffing line, who retroactively gains Neutralizing Gas as their second normal Ability and Stench as their Hidden Ability(Galarian Weezing has Misty Surge as their hidden ability instead)

I do hope they eventually retcon more Pokemon cursed with levitate to have one or two more abilities, now that they've done it once already.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)