Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Wanna double check these:
  • If you use Shed Tail with less than 50% of your max. HP remaining, do you fail completely, dry pass with no Substitute, KO yourself, or do something else?
  • Does Fillet Away fail or self-KO if you use with less than 50%(-75% for Sharpness, apparently) of your max. HP remaining?

I haven't seen mention of it here, but I saw some talk in the main discussion thread that Thermal Exchange granted a Fire-type attack immunity as well as the Attack boost.

After watching a buddy of mine test it, I can confirm this is NOT the case. He had his Scream Tail use Flamethrower on a wild Frigibax. It took the damage as normal, and then got the Attack boost from Thermal Exchange. I believe he was on the patched Scarlet version as well, so it should be up to date.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I haven't seen mention of it here, but I saw some talk in the main discussion thread that Thermal Exchange granted a Fire-type attack immunity as well as the Attack boost.

After watching a buddy of mine test it, I can confirm this is NOT the case. He had his Scream Tail use Flamethrower on a wild Frigibax. It took the damage as normal, and then got the Attack boost from Thermal Exchange. I believe he was on the patched Scarlet version as well, so it should be up to date.
Yeah, the Ability descriptions make the distinction. When they give an immunity (such as Sap Sipper) they explicitly say the pokemon takes "no damage".

(Justice 4 Palossand when)

Last edited:
Yeah, the Ability descriptions make the distinction. When they give an immunity (such as Sap Sipper) they explicitly say the pokemon takes "no damage".
Yup! Most of the time that's right. But then we may come across another Water Bubble situation where it has like 3 other effects than the text. Mainly just confirming here cause I saw the chatter in the other thread about an immunity and had my friend test it while he was playing.

Is Delta Stream implemented coding-wise, and if so, does an Electro Drift whose damage is reduced by Delta Stream (and is not super-effective against the Pokemon's other type) gain its power boost?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did testing on Fire's damage boost from the Sun, figured I should do that since I tested Koraidon's ability!

The level 68 Koraidon had a Special Attack stat of 141, and used Flamethrower against a level 57 Gabite with a Special Defense stat of 66.

This seems pretty inline with Fire moves still being boosted by 1.5 in the sun!

Also on a side note: Terablast can be used without Terrastalizying, it'll just be normal typed!

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I did testing on Fire's damage boost from the Sun, figured I should do that since I tested Koraidon's ability!

The level 68 Koraidon had a Special Attack stat of 141, and used Flamethrower against a level 57 Gabite with a Special Defense stat of 66.

This seems pretty inline with Fire moves still being boosted by 1.5 in the sun!

Also on a side note: Terablast can be used without Terrastalizying, it'll just be normal typed!
About Tera Blast, does it always hit the opponent's Sp. Defense even when it uses the attacker's ATK?

So did Dragon Claw and X-Scissors get nerfed from Legends Arceus? In that game, they had an increased critical hit rate, but the move descriptions in Scarlet and Violet don't mention anything about crits.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Considering the nerfs to recovery moves like Roost, has Regenerator been tested at all to see if its recovery percentage has been altered?

Also, do Spikes and Stealth Rock do the same amount of damage? Has Toxic Spikes been altered in any way?

I consider this unlikely, but I have to ask: does Orthworm's Ability, Earth Eater, activate on Spikes damage? Edit: oops, this was tested already!
Sorry, I just found it! Kalalokki answered this here!

Considering the nerfs to recovery moves like Roost, has Regenerator been tested at all to see if its recovery percentage has been altered?
Regenerator is unchanged!

Last edited:

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. New to Smogon, so apologies if I do anything incorrectly. I have footage for all claims if requested and will happily send via Discord (DarkFE#4248).

New question for testing as for now I don't really have a way to myself:

Mouse family - Population bomb: now that we know that the move is like Triple Axel (aka, it tries to hit max times, but every hit has a separate accuracy roll and failing one stops the following ones from happening), what is the interaction with accuracy-modifying factors? Are you able to achieve 100% chance to hit 10 times using Gravity, Lock-On, No Guard or similar effects?

Also, though obviously going to work, interaction with King's Rock and similar "on hit" items/abilities, does every hit apply the chance separately?
(king rock population bomb go brrrr)
I tested this for the Doubles OU Discord. I did it using Sweet Scent, which is similar, and achieved 100% chance to hit 10 times using Population Bomb across 12+ consecutive attempts. An edit for clarity: I tested without this and did get less than 10 often, including 6 hits and 4 hits. I know there's been some confusion around this mechanic being bugged or such, so felt the need to add this.

Terastal - How does Transform work when transforming? Does it copy the opponent's Terastal like Megas, or does it act like Dynamax where it doesn't copy the effect? Can it transform into a Terastealized Pokemon at all?
It does not copy the opposing Tera Type on Transform, instead copying the natural Type. If you Tera your Transformed Ditto, it becomes Ditto's own Tera Type. If Ditto switches out and back in, it has its Tera Type still applied on switch-in prior to Transform. If Ditto proceeds to Transform again, it stays its Tera Type instead of copying the opponent's Typing.

Last edited:
What happens if you Terastallize and then change your typing (like with protean) afterwards? Terstallizing let's you keep your STABs even when your Tera-type is completely different, does this property carry over when you change your type again? Or do Type-changing effects fail while Terastallize?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Guard Dog activates when Intimidate does and simply raises the Attack by 1 stage instead of lowering it.

Wanna double check these:
  • If you use Shed Tail with less than 50% of your max. HP remaining, do you fail completely, dry pass with no Substitute, KO yourself, or do something else?
  • Does Fillet Away fail or self-KO if you use with less than 50%(-75% for Sharpness, apparently) of your max. HP remaining?
Both fail.
So did Dragon Claw and X-Scissors get nerfed from Legends Arceus? In that game, they had an increased critical hit rate, but the move descriptions in Scarlet and Violet don't mention anything about crits.
Afaik no move changes in PLA has persisted to SV.
Seed Sower/Toxic Debris: Does it have the properties as Sand Spit, where even if K.O.'d the terrain is set? Does this also apply to Toxic Debris?
Both yes.
What happens if you Terastallize and then change your typing (like with protean) afterwards? Terstallizing let's you keep your STABs even when your Tera-type is completely different, does this property carry over when you change your type again? Or do Type-changing effects fail while Terastallize?
Type changing things like Soak fails as tested by Theorymon and I just tested Reflect Type and it also fails. Don't have a cat so I can't test Protean.
Does Ice Spinner fail if there isn't terrain?
No.

Last edited:
Does Booster Energy act as an Invisible boost when consumed, and thus, uncopyable from Ditto?

Furthermore, Booster Energy doesn't activate if your respective weather/terrain is already up, but if you consume Booster Energy and then set the sun/terrain up the next turn, do you still get the boost? Or does it not amp you since you just used the energy?

How do invisible boosts from Protosynthesis/Quark drive interact with regular visible stat boosts? Are they the same and additive in nature? If so, are you only able to gain 5 regular stat boosts now, or do you still get to boost to +6 (effectively +7)?
Alternatively, are these boosts multiplicative in nature (which would give a total stat boost of 2.15x at +1/+1, 3x at +1/+2, and so on)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)