Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
You can't just ban things because a % of users are problematic with it, otherwise we'd be banning choice items every single gen. If you're going to ban an item or a move, it has to be something that fundamentally is uncompetitive on itself (see: the argument for Last Respects), and scream tail or iron jugulis or the ttar one that idc to check the name are completely fine. Which means its the other paradoxes which have a set that pushes them over the edge (whether that'd be boost energy or scarf or something else doesn't matter), or are just insane by themselves.
Isn't this exactly what we did with the BW Gem ban though? Booster Energy has already proved itself to be quite problematic with quite a few Pokemon who may otherwise be fine without it. It seems silly to try to go about cherrypicking a couple of mons that are completely fine with the item for justification as to why its not a broken, and instead go about make several bans instead of just the one.

Am I the only one who finds Imposter Ditto annoying to face? Because if you decided to Terasteralize your Pokemon and Imposter Ditto shows up, it will be of the Tera Type, as well as just copying every single of your stat boosts, making it extremely unfair to suddenly have your own setup used against you
I've been running unaware mons so I don't really feel it to be so annoying. Like my great tusk boosted to +6 atk and +6 def with bulk up? I claim and switch to dondozo on the ditto. Like bro fr this happened once against the famous stall team, quite good stuff.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Tera Blast
- Fire Blast

This might be broken, wow who could've forseen that I know. But this is really nice. If you can get a DD up you just kind of win. It also has the incredible ability Infiltrator, which has been quite situational in the past but Shed Tail is a thing now. So, in a nutshell, this thing kills everything and is a super duper Shed Tail counterpick

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Tera Blast
- Fire Blast

This might be broken, wow who could've forseen that I know. But this is really nice. If you can get a DD up you just kind of win. It also has the incredible ability Infiltrator, which has been quite situational in the past but Shed Tail is a thing now. So, in a nutshell, this thing kills everything and is a super duper Shed Tail counterpick
The only thing keeping pult in ou was the lack of good ghost physical move. Goodbye my boy

Also would there be uses for Calm Mind Umbreon? Because that thing could maybe tank pretty much a lot of things on the special side of thje spectrum

Also would there be uses for Calm Mind Umbreon? Because that thing could maybe tank pretty much a lot of things on the special side of thje spectrum
Too many fairy types and fighting types for it to be viable rn. And even if the current ones got banned, there are many more to come so...

Too many fairy types and fighting types for it to be viable rn. And even if the current ones got banned, there are many more to come so...
Ah I see. Right now the only eeveelutions that could make use of the newly gained Calm Mind are Vaporeon (could be sueable as a special tank), Espeon, Glaceon (very hard to set up but I definitively see some kind of niche in lower tiers) and Sylveon. The latter is actually quite decent as a special wall and can maybe have some use against Dragapult if it doesn't have a physical ghost STAB and maybe threatening Roaring Moon since it's typing could possibly guarantee a OHKO with Moonblast or Tera-less Tera Beam with Pixilate

Ah I see. Right now the only eeveelutions that could make use of the newly gained Calm Mind are Vaporeon (could be sueable as a special tank), Espeon, Glaceon (very hard to set up but I definitively see some kind of niche in lower tiers) and Sylveon. The latter is actually quite decent as a special wall and can maybe have some use against Dragapult if it doesn't have a physical ghost STAB and maybe threatening Roaring Moon since it's typing could possibly guarantee a OHKO with Moonblast or Tera-less Tera Beam with Pixilate
Sylveon is pretty good rn ngl, with hyper voice going over substitutes and a good overall spd and decent hp, priority with quick attack and shadow ball/psychic/psyshock helping with what could wall. Unfortunately, most pokemon right now are physical sooo

Isn't this exactly what we did with the BW Gem ban though? Booster Energy has already proved itself to be quite problematic with quite a few Pokemon who may otherwise be fine without it. It seems silly to try to go about cherrypicking a couple of mons that are completely fine with the item for justification as to why its not a broken, and instead go about make several bans instead of just the one.
I gave a quick check on the gem ban, but I'm not an bw ou player, so please correct me if I'm wrong: I feel like gems were creating a higher power increase in the mons using it than booster energy is. When I play vs a be mon, my two most common experiences are "this mon is already stupid and this is making it worse", or "yeah this is manageable." I think the only mon that sounds ok with booster energy but gets kinda stupid with it is roaring mane, but even that one has been easier to manage as time goes on

:blobshrug: I could be talking outta my ass here, but it feels like theres a very limited number of mons that go from normal to broken with be, with the majority either falling on "was already broken" or "kinda of a dud". And this is more of a question than an argument: was the whole thing with the gems affected by bw ou being an old gen? Or could a similar ban happen on a cg no issue

Sylveon is pretty good rn ngl, with hyper voice going over substitutes and a good overall spd and decent hp, priority with quick attack and shadow ball/psychic/psyshock helping with what could wall. Unfortunately, most pokemon right now are physical sooo
Shame it lost Mystical Fire to wear out special attackers. On a similar vein, I can definitively see Espeon being a great Calm Mind user later on since it has good SpA and Spe stats and enabling for a sweep while also countering teams that rely on stacking up hazards from the beginning of the game if Espeon is used as a lead

Alright, with those first two quick bans out of the way, one reasonable and the other more debatable, I think I can better sort my thoughts into "quickban versus proper suspect vote", in order of immediacy and in turn how I think they'd affect the meta:

Chien-Pao: Quick Ban. Even without two of the most prominent Ghosts, I consider this thing to be too detrimental to more bulky or defensive builds by way of its ability. On top of that, its speed with Flutter Mane gone now makes it the fastest thing short of Dragapult and boosted Pokemon, both of which it threatens with priority.

Terastalizing: Suspect. Much like Dynamax, I think it's reasonable for a generation's gimmick to be more controversial. Adding to that is the fact that I don't think it's an auto-win button, even when done defensively. I think a lot of offensive Pokemon that are defensively Terastalizing still ultimately come with tradeoffs for their new typing. Still, it's a vote I'd probably lean towards ban in.

Roaring Moon: Quick Ban. Now this may seem surprising with how I consider Roaring Moon underwhelming at the present, but I think with Flutter Man and Chien-Pao gone this thing is gonna shoot way up in terms of effectiveness. If Terastilizing stays, both Booster Energy Acrobatics and Tera Steel Iron Head are incredibly dangerous. If Terastilizing goes, there may be more of an argument to just suspect it. However, I consider Sun with Roaring Moon to be super good, and by the nature of Sun it beats down the Ice-types who should be benefiting from the Hail changes. I don't think this Pokemon has been broken initially, but it's fast gonna become top-tier.

Palafin: Quick Ban. This thing is strong, no doubt about it. I don't think it's the absolute strongest of the new Pokemon, but much like Chien-Pao, it limits way too many of the usual defensive options, especially the few I consider to have any defensive viability. Pure Water, even without Terastilizing, makes it easy for this to set up against any of them, and it has strong coverage to deal with those that might check it. It does have counters, unlike the rest of this list, but it's a short list of counters: Amoonguss and Meowscarada being the only ones that come to mind.

Cyclizar/Shed Tail: Suspect. I've seen a lot of discourse between the two of these, and I don't disagree. With the above three gone, and likely Terastilizing too, I think it both loses a lot of options to pass to, and as defense gains some momentum meta-wise, we'll see some Haze Pokemon come out to help limit setup, as well as more Taunt users besides Grimmsnarl. The fact the Sub doesn't protect from Hazards as well I think enables fighting back in this particular meta. Shed Tail also gets shut down by the better priority users, particularly those who will rise again once new toy syndrome wears off such as Breloom and Scizor. That said, Shed Tail is definitely preferable for the chopping block than Cyclizar, which I don't think is as good without it. Orthworm's Shed Tails are scary too, but also currently harder to get off. Shed Tail also goes hand in hand with...

Iron Valiant: This one's a real tough call and is the most "could go either way" for me. In the initial week, I don't think it was as strong as it could be. But with fast Ghost types using Fairy-moves Houndstone and Flutter Mane gone? And with Roaring Moon, the only faster Paradox Pokemon, also gone? I think Valiant is gonna open up a lot. It does crumple to Scizor, but that's a problem alleviated by Screens. Yet it also gets ruined by Unaware staples Dondozo/Clodsire/Quagsire. Iron Moth and Psychic Volcarona may also be options (with Agility Iron Moth in particular being a Pokemon with a lot of potential once Palafin is gone). For the moment, I'm going to say Quick Ban based on how it'll likely perform with huge threats to it gone. I will say, however, once Home is out I think this is a top choice for potentially returning based on how the meta shakes out. There's a number of Pokemon likely to return that I see helping deal with it.

Iron Bundle: Quick Ban. Insane to me that this one is more up in the air and isn't top of the list. All the same offensive presence as Kyurem used to have, but with more options due to its speed. Every time I've seen this thing, no matter what I run, I hate it, and I don't think a return of Blissey or a rise in Breloom will fix it. Maybe this one's personally biased, but I feel really strongly that people are underestimating Delibird But Good. Begone, vile thing.

Booster Energy
: Suspect. If everything I've said Quick Ban for is gone, Booster Energy loses a lot of versatility. It turns all of these Pokemon that use it into Hawlucha: things you can't bring in until you can confirm a sweep. That said, it's also an even harder argument in favor of Item Clause (my favorite niche opinion) than Heavy-Duty Boots, because you stack a bunch on a team and just progressively overwhelm. I also agree with the sentiment that with the Quick Bannable Pokemon gone, the number of Paradox Pokemon to truly benefit from Booster Energy overall shrinks. Yet I do think that in turn opens up the argument regarding Sun and how many more options that playstyle now has compared to other weathers, even with Mane and Moon gone. Great Tusk in particular is going to become a huge danger under Sun. Ultimately, in my eyes, Booster Energy is more controversial than Terastilizing, and a Suspect more likely to go either way.

There's a couple others I can see having their moments once these changes are made (Iron Moth, if Booster Energy stays, will be potent with Agility and Fiery Dance, Glimmora might get looked at for its sheer hazard stacking potential, and Gholdengo in compliment is really, really annoying as a Spin/Defog blocker). But for the moment, I think the new meta fun is starting to wear off for me, and I think these are the changes necessary to make the game actually playable as a competitive environment. I do think this will still result in a more offensive metagame than we've ever had before, but one that is sensible and strategic rather than a raw constant battle to the death.

I just want to say dragapult esp physical sets with dd or cb absolutely absurd. Now that flutter mane is gone, I honestly see it as one of, if not the premiere offensive candidate for tera. In particular, tera ghost variant is truly superb.

Palafin has Slaking-like stats, without an ability that kills it's viability. It can run physical sets, mixed sets, has a strong priority move in jet punch, and can set up on your face thanks to it's massive bulk. Pure water is also a pretty good type.

You should really drop this internet tough guy act because it makes it hard to take what you are saying seriously.

But anyways, yes it is a "mechanic of your own creation". Pokemon Showdown is meant to simulate cartridge mechanics whenever possible. Having things like "we keep Terastalisation but information regarding what Tera types your Pokemon are is revealed to the opponent" goes against that idea, because that's not how it works in game. Even ignoring that philosophy, implementing something like that doesn't even address the issues that people have with the mechanic, even if you do it alongside a ban to Tera Blast.
Wrong on both remarks. Tera typing is cool and there's a plethora of methods to try for it instead of reactionary nonsense

I think if a pokemon is broken with booster energy, it's probably also broken in sun/e-terrain where it can abuse another, even better item instead. I'm not opposed to banning items in principle so, but I struggle to come up with an example of a paradox pokemon that's broken because of booster energy but completely fine on a sun or terrain team

I am someone who 100% believes the simulator should be as cartridge accurate as humanly possible. That being said, revealing tera types on team preview does not break this principle because it is something that is possible to implement while playing on the cartridge. We could imagine an irl SVOU tournament where participants submit team sheets with their tera types on it before battle. Other simulator mods like the battle log, PP tracker, and HP% mod are all also possible with a pen, paper, calculator, and an agreement between players to share information that the game normally wouldn't give at the end of each turn.

Tera-on-team-preview is less mechanic breaking than Smogon's biggest competitive mod: sleep clause, which is impossible to implement correctly no matter what agreements players make in battle. Ideally, if sleep is uncompetitive, it would be banned instead of changing how it works, but the player base really hates that idea so we don't do it. Basically, we can definitely implement tera-on-team-preview if we feel like it will make the mechanic more competitive without resorting to a ban
Absolutely. It's worth trying, isn't a multi paragraph rule list, and is something that you can easily set up on both cart (you have to find someone to play OU with and communicate with them) and on sim

Can we please ban any further mention of Houndstone/Last Respects until Home drops? New/casual players who're not familiar with the meta are arguing against the ban not knowijg even that it has always been done this way.

If people people want Houndstone that much, they can wait until Home drops. Till then, please discuss other mons, otherwise is derailing the thread.

I request the staff to take proper action whenever appropriate
If they fucked up they deserve to be told so. No sneeding about it will change that. It is a ridiculous ban and the dog isn't a danger to society when he doesn't have Last Respects. It's as plain as daylight

Can't something like Tsareena somewhat check Palafin? Since Queenly Majesty denies Jet Punch and/or Aqua Jet due to the ability denying priority moves and then Tsareena can just hit it back with Trop Kick and cripple it's already high attack stat

Alright after playing quite a bit and hovering around 200-100 on the ladder gonna share my thoughts

Palafin currently feels super strong to me if you think of how good Rillaboom was in gen 8 and that had trouble clicking its stab moves with shit like ferrothorn, static zapdos, flamebody heatran and helmet buzzwole this thing has the luxury of not having to deal with any of that; it has very limited answers outside of water immune mons and resists such as amoonguss or the truly bulky wall known as Meowscarada bulky waters dont really like this thing and even then most choices for beating this thing just lose to taunt bulk up with the correct coverage I don't think its 100 percent certain it should be kicked. It should certainly be looked at and terra allowing it to have a secondary stab or just have stupidly strong priority puts it more on the radar for me with people saying this gen has been powercrept to a huge degree. I feel like this is the clear winner while other stuff is around base 130-140 this has 160 attack and stupendous bulk alllowing it to trade at worst.

Booster energy i've seen some people talking about this and I get it this item makes everything feel so much worse It allows for free non choice lock nukes makes scarfers feel super bad in endgames and overall makes already incredible mons feel way more oppressive.

Shed tail I personally wanna see this looked into it paired with screens and the fact ive encountered people using scarf shed tail or using terra to change into an immunity and try to pass the sub makes it feel rather dumb if your opponent has a passer you either have to go into something that threatens the passer and the majority of the team or trade something to break the sub and in a metagame with mons dying to resists it becomes rather unhealthy.

Terra I've heard some people feel like its broken but personally it feels fine to me and i quite enjoy it maybe as time goes on my views will change, but as of right now its a lot of fun and seems like a welcome addition to the tier

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
Gholdengo is so fire. I'm running hazard stack + gholdengo to block spin/defog. I am curious to see if this playstyle can be optimized and whether hazard removal will have to adapt to it by using mons/moves that threaten it, though I am not sure what other people are trying out atm.

just played a game in which cyclizar was the last mon, it kept putting up subs without using hp. Is that how it is on cart or is a glitch on showdown?

Playing a lot more lately and I gotta say, Iron Bundle is really fun and borked at the same time. Really gives you the Kyurem at Home experience for sure. I’m not quite sure what the optimal teammates for it are though, but I’ve been pairing it with Palafin and it’s been working pretty good.

Anyway, just as a clarification for Tera Preview Clause since I was one of the people who suggested it, imo the idea behind the clause is that people currently see Tera as problematic in two ways: it’s unpredictable, and it’s powerful. A Tera Preview Clause would get rid of the first aspect and indirectly nerf the second. For example, extreme killer dragonite is pretty damn fun and good. But I’ve run Tera Fire and Flying some times to mess with answers to it. If my opponent knows what Tera dnite I have, then they know whether to preserve their ghost types or to prioritize a different defensive answer which nerfs the power of my dragonite. Doing this could reign in some of Tera’s issues without completely getting rid of its benefits. In a Tera Preview World, I definitely see skillful team building becoming an important factor in shoring up teams defensively since you can be a lot more flexible i.e instead of mandatory ground type, you can keep a ground Type Tera. An the 50% Reduction in damage would def offset the potential of offensive Tera. You’d also have to worry less about Tera completely flipping defensive checks for offensive mons since you would know if offensive Pokémon like dragonite lose their ice weakness or not due to Tera.

That being said, I definitely do agree that Tera could still be too powerful. That’s why IMO, if a Tera Preview clause fails, we should then consider banning Tera since it would be clear that unpredictability wasn’t the biggest contributing factor to Tera’s power. So tiering action could look like this: 1.Tera Preview Clause (or some other clause) 2. Ban Tera. This ensures we don’t spend too much time trying to “perfect” Tera. Either one clause can reign it in, or we should stop trying.

Between 1 and 2 we could also consider banning same type Tera. Imo any other attempts to shore up Tera either don’t make sense or just induce a BP clause tiering nightmare. With about three years of competitive life, I think we have enough time to at least conduct one experiment with Tera. Again, I don’t think it’s completely broken and is just being magnified by broken Pokémon, and I think we should at least try to preserve it before banning it for reasons posted by me and others above.

finally to address some other arguments: Gigantimax forms and Tera Clause aren’t similar cuz every single fully evolved Gigantimax form would have been broken in OU. And the bandaid argument doesn’t really make sense because I think any Tera Clauses should just be a one time deal. So that concludes my post on a Tera Clause.

Anyways, since tiering discussion is kind of reptitive, what are y’all’s thoughts on the best offensive and defensive cores right now, and what creative non busted offensive mobs are y’all using?

Can't something like Tsareena somewhat check Palafin? Since Queenly Majesty denies Jet Punch and/or Aqua Jet due to the ability denying priority moves and then Tsareena can just hit it back with Trop Kick and cripple it's already high attack stat
I wish it could. I think it just gets 2hkoed by ice punch, or even ice beam if the person is running a mixed set (Remember, that dolphin has a base 106 special attack. Additionally, that 2hko from ice punch becomes a 1hko with terastalizing (If you're enough of a madman to do tera ice).

I think a Freeze-Dry Iron Bundle lead (that might not last long because it might get banned due to how insanely fast it is) could scare a Palafin Lead who thinks they can have a free switch at the start of the game to get their win condition set up

I hope iron bundle is going to be on the radar the next time, cause its stupid how nothing except blissey can switch into +spa boosted bundle. Its quite fast and outspeeds jolly unboosted roaring moon even when modest.
chi-yu should also be looked into. unlike chien-pao, it has a 140 bp move to abuse with its busted ability.
If tera stays, palafin should also go. roaring moon and iron valiant should also be on the radar again imo.

I think a Freeze-Dry Iron Bundle lead (that might not last long because it might get banned due to how insanely fast it is) could scare a Palafin Lead who thinks they can have a free switch at the start of the game to get their win condition set up
It might be a solution, but you can still manually switch to get hero form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)