Partially Approved New Battle Rules Implementation

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi, I had a few requests regarding Battle Rules, as I often use those in tournament hosting across diverse communities, and some features are currently lacking within those for future events I planned. Features that, I think, should be added, as those are not as specific as some currently implemented battle rules.
As of now:
- Timer Set=X : set the max timer of the match, in seconds. Currently 300. Very needed for roomtours, live circuits, etc.
- Timer Regain Set=X : set the number of seconds regained each time you successfully click a move. Currently 20. Same reasons, to organize faster tournaments and prevent time stalling.
- Terastal Allowed : allows Tera in Teraless metagames, like Old Gens (since we can't just !Tera Clause, the Clause being absent of said metagames), but also as a way to keep this mechanic alive (and future mechanics too) when the next Gen drops.
- Dynamax Allowed : same as before, in Gen 9 tournaments or others for example.

If you have other ideas, or can inform me of the feasibility of such implementations, please let me know.

Hope I did not break any rule of the forum, I don't think I did, so also point it out to me otherwise.

Thank you all :bloblul: :blobthumbsup: !

Last edited:

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Just as to move it to the next step:

- Timer Set=X : set the max timer of the match, in seconds. Currently 300. Very needed for roomtours, live circuits, etc.
- Timer Regain Set=X : set the number of seconds regained each time you successfully click a move. Currently 20. Same reasons, to organize faster tournaments and prevent time stalling.
Those two suggestions are approved; anyone who wants to write the code for them is free to do so.

- Terastal Allowed : allows Tera in Teraless metagames, like Old Gens (since we can't just !Tera Clause, the Clause being absent of said metagames), but also as a way to keep this mechanic alive (and future mechanics too) when the next Gen drops.
- Dynamax Allowed : same as before, in Gen 9 tournaments or others for example.
We would rather not support Terastal or Dynamax in old generations however.

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
Just as to move it to the next step:

Those two suggestions are approved; anyone who wants to write the code for them is free to do so.

We would rather not support Terastal or Dynamax in old generations however.
I deeply appreciate the timer approval, thank you! I hope we'll get a nice implementation (Distrib-PS :blobnom: ).

As a side question the Tera/Dyna rules being only for Custom formats, why are they viewed as a non supported option? Genuinely curious, since it would allow people to play with those in Gen 9/10 if they liked the mechanic, thinking especially of invitational tournaments.

Last edited:

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
As a side question the Tera/Dyna rules being only for Custom formats, why are they viewed as a non supported option? Genuinely curious, since it would allow people to play with those in Gen 9/10 if they liked the mechanic, thinking especially of invitational tournaments.
Having asked the one and only :pmd/wobbuffet::

Broadly, when it comes to supporting battle mechanics that aren't a part of the actual games generically, and not tied to a specific format like certain OMs, those mechanics have to be reasonable to implement and maintain; we want to minimize having to define behavior into existence, and also minimize crashes caused by unique combinations of otherwise impossible mechanics. A recent example is with the "Tera Donation" pet mod, which was usable in past generations. We received multiple crashes from Missingno. using Bird-type Tera Blast in Custom Game, because we don't do Tera Type validation outside of Gen 9.

With respect to Terastallization and Dynamax: these battle mechanics are mutually incompatible for Showdown's sake. Both are usable by any Pokemon at any time, and we don't have support for having the option to choose both, but only selecting 1 (Mega Evolution and Z-moves prevent the user from Dynamaxing or Terastallizing in National Dex metagames). Broad support for this when it would not be used by any official tier won't be provided (the closest that could have had it was National Dex AG).

tl;dr Showdown devs don't want to maintain and define behavior for something that no Smogon tier uses and that will cause crashes in contexts where the mechanic was never intended to work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)