Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

Hypnosis darkrai isn't even it's most commonly run set. While it may be the subject of debate that's more because of the luck related nature of it head you win tails you loose. 3 attacks nasty plot prove great coverage and power as a fast special cleaner and is run more often over it's hypnosis related gimmick
Trick scarf is probably the best set for Darkrai as it can allow Darkrai to muscle past some things it shouldn't and can outspeed a lot of stuff with scarf

Arguably Darkrai's Hypnosis set is like the worst one out there, it's just notorious due to high variance.
Yeah. It is the worst one, because it makes the game a dice roll, but at the same time because it takes the skill out of the game people use it to bypass a possible lacking of skill in the game. I’m not saying all people who use hypnosis darkrai lack skill, but some people definitely abuse darkrai to bypass the skill aspect of the game.

Yeah. It is the worst one, because it makes the game a dice roll, but at the same time because it takes the skill out of the game people use it to bypass a possible lacking of skill in the game. I’m not saying all people who use hypnosis darkrai lack skill, but some people definitely abuse darkrai to bypass the skill aspect of the game.
I think there is a degree of risk management in using Hypnosis Darkrai (dropping a coverage for Hypnosis but running another Pokemon who can replace the dropped move coverage for example). I just think it's not that "good" because it is inconsistent as hell, even landing Hypnosis doesn't guarantee a win if they switch out on your Nasty Plot, or if you sleep something that's not a Darkrai check so they can feel free to switch it onto you, or the other Pokemon just straight up wake up immediately. If we talk about gimmicky Darkrai set, I would say TrickScarf and SubDisable are more "fun" and can probably win games you are not supposed to win as well.

I think there is a degree of risk management in using Hypnosis Darkrai (dropping a coverage for Hypnosis but running another Pokemon who can replace the dropped move coverage for example). I just think it's not that "good" because it is inconsistent as hell, even landing Hypnosis doesn't guarantee a win if they switch out on your Nasty Plot, or if you sleep something that's not a Darkrai check so they can feel free to switch it onto you, or the other Pokemon just straight up wake up immediately. If we talk about gimmicky Darkrai set, I would say TrickScarf and SubDisable are more "fun" and can probably win games you are not supposed to win as well.
Yeah I completely agree. The mane problem imo is that hypnosis darkrai kind of just takes skill out of the game, which can allow weaker players to beat better players.

BAN

BAN

DLC2 dropped more than a month ago and, as expected, the vast amount of new and returning mons as well as changing movepools really shook the metagme.

Furthermore stellar type absolutely changed... I joke lol that's the most useless mechanic ever introduced. Just wanted to point out how useless and forgetable this thing is (luckily serp and enam make it have at least 0.1% usage).

Regardless of these changes I think that Gliscor still remains as problematic as it was in DLC1 metagme. Yes, we have offensive things that check it like kyurem but does it really make an impact? In my opinion it really doesn't.

Gliscor was never broken because of it being unkillable, there are several mons that can OKHO it without too many problems. Any special attacking water type or mon that has ice coverage can OKHO it easily, so the fact that new strong attackers like kyurem are in the tier means nothing in practical terms when it comes to the brokenness of gliscor. There could be even 100 viable ice type pokémons in OU but it wouldn't change a thing: you will still most likely have 1/2 mons that can OKHO gliscor in a given team, you will never have 6 things that can deal with it regardless of how many options are avaible in a given meta.

What makes this thing incredibly toxic is its impact on team building and the nasty cores it can create coupled with other pokemons. Its list of perks is very long:

-The passive regenaration granted by its ability is obviously its main thing
-It is essentially immune to knock off
-It is immune to every single hazard except for rocks.
-It has an incredibly vast movepool.
-The interactions it creates with protect are just uncompetitive. The gliscor player doesn't even need to risk anything trying to predict as it can safely regen and scout with protect
-It is not passive by any means. Even with 0 investments its STAB earthquake is forcing out a lot of pokémons, furthermore it has access to knock, toxic and swords dance sets.

All of the above factors contribute to the issue I have with gliscor: this mon stops any kind of progress being made in a given game. Gliscor feels particularly broken this gen because, in my opinion, it has two team mates that make it absolutely toxic:

this mon with gliscor is just a no brainer in my opinion. They complement each other weaknesses almost (if not straight up) PERFECTLY. This thing has regenrator, pivotting, great special bulk and options such future sight, t wave, sludge bomb etc. etc.

Gliscor litrally learns all hazards ever outside of sticky webs and Ghold is simply a great partner to it, not much explanation is need here.

Gliscor is not borken in a vacum, as I said gliscor is not your standard broken mon like urshifu single strike (which in my opinion is a broken mon regardless of the metagame you put it in). In gen 9 meta, nonetheless, I think Gliscor is absolutely uncompetitive and really should be taken out of the game.

I will just ask you this: what makes gliscor easier to handle compared to DLC1? Answer: Absolutely nothhing. This mon is still broken as before because just like before it has partners that can just create unbreakable cores.

Don't let me get started on the impact of gliscor on stall. I will leave you a replay that, in my opinion, clearly displays how broken it is.

Explanation: I am running a wack team that was the result of some nasty cooking. I have two mons that, in theory, should just have a great matchup against stall:

- Sub/wisp/hex/CURSE

- Tacyhon/psyshock/volt switch/FUTURE SIGHT

- support

to keep the previous two healthy.

With this kind of team I really shouldn't struggle as much against stall but, since gliscor and his uncompetitiveness are in the tier, the stall matches are incredibly difficult even with this niche trash ass team I am running. Not only I struggled by I also took huge risks in that game (like switching 25% health crown on slowking, one flamethrower and it was gg).

Gliscor stall ≈ 1900 elo replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2037217394

Bonus yapping: ban Kingambit, Roaring moon, Darkrai and gholedngo. I will make more detailed posts about these but for real some actions have to be taken. We can't have a tier with gambit, moon, darkrai, dengo and gliscor free to do the F they want without even a suspect test.

By the way:

-Iron crown B- --> B+. I think that the scarf set is underrated AF. Peope only run the booster cheese ass pyschic terrain set but it is not the only set this thing can run. The STAB steel move is incredibly good and also the stats are great. With scarf and modest nature it can outspeed everything it needs and still be incredibly bulky even with 0 investments.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I will just ask you this: what makes gliscor easier to handle compared to DLC1? Answer: Absolutely nothing. This mon is still broken as before because just like before it has partners that can just create unbreakable cores.
Meowscarada and Weavile have sprung into usage due to gaining or in Weavile’s case, re-gaining Triple Axel to threaten OHKOs on Gliscor, and you can’t make the excuse that they will just switch out, because Meow can use that as momentum and Weavile can blast through its partners with Knock and SD boosted T-Axels.

Hatterene has higher usage than in Home or DLC1 due to its ability to shut down many bulky hazard stacking cores, and those often involve Gliscor. Kyurem is in the tier and it does fantastic vs the teams Gliscor often finds itself in. Even with Gking + Steel, those cores could still lose to Boots 4 Attacks sets.

Terastilizing Gliscor is also a bigger risk, as you lose your immunity to Spikes and shedding that amazing Ground/Flying typing for Water, Fairy, Dragon, Ghost, etc could leave you vulnerable to stuff like Raging Bolt.

Perhaps after a few waves of bans, I think Gliscor could be looked at again, especially if Kyurem leaves.

:blaziken: -> C+ / C
I can say that as far as Wincons in SV go, this pokemon is horrifically bad. Bulk and longevity are mediocre to nonexistent, the initial speed is horrendously bad in this metagame, giving it far fewer setup opportunities vs crap like Gholdengo than one would like to setup on, somehow can't even set up on gambit despite the typing advantage, Flare Blitz is a terrible sweeping move that will cut its sweep short, it has giga 4mss since it wants to run all of Sub, SD, protect, Flare Blitz, Low Kick, Knock Off, Upper hand, and EQ, yet can't fit everything, etc etc. Just a terrible Pokemon in general. Everything in B rank is better and I'd argue most of B- is better than this guy from my exp.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
It's fucking happening

:Corviknight: B+ ------> C+

Ill start with stating that I'm 100% aware that I will not convince anyone with this, and by the same coin, I will not be convinced this mon is this high, because I have used every single set possible (Eveeto si estas leyendo esto te quiero mucho y soy fan, pero tu set de spedef apesta a meado de abuela, esta mierda no tankea ni un CB woodhammer de rilla y eso que es quad), and it has vastly underperformed compared to the praises this thing gets. With the release of Skarmory, the steel bird has now been mostly outclassed, because they share the same typing and strats to deal with the meta at large, but skarm does these things better because of his higher physical defense, sturdy (which means, if played perfectly, you can potentially avoid OHKOs) Whirlwind and hazards, which means skarm is generally more active in battle, while corv can be easily overwhelmed by even strong physical attacks, not to mention special attacks and other means of damage.

There are 2 things that keep Corviknight afloat, which are Defog, which is a novelty move at its finest, it's only truly seen on stall or fat balance at high level and most players straight up don't run it, ⁣this is because the existence of gholdengo, and while gholdengo IS on a downturn as the time I'm writing this posts, It's still strong, and while not being in every single team, its presence in the meta It's so oppressing that smart people will not run the risk of getting blocked unless your confident in that you can out pressured somehow

The other thing keeping Corviknight in OU is access to U-turn, which is a good tool to have to keep momentum, but if its only real role is tank 1 / 2 hits and peace out then I think this has not the material of a B+ mon. Because that's what it realistically does, it clicks ID 2 times during a match, then pivots out or roost and then pivots out. I get not all mons have to be flashy, but this is not a support pillar, it's bad. It doesn't matter if you have all these "on paper" advantages when in actual combat you can't pull none of these things

Everyone who knows me knows I fucking hate this ugly ass mothefucking garbage excuse of a mon, and this has been a long time coming
EDIT: btw I forgot to say this, but I'm only ranking this thing C+ instead of C- because of U-turn and I'm feeling charitable

:Skarmory: A -----> A-

Speaking of Skarm, I also think skarm is overrated, but for different reasons, don't get me wrong, skarm IS an actual good mon that can and will put progress for you. But when people simp for corviknight for so much, when you see an actual upgrade, It's normal to just go balistic. Its lower spedef than corv means that sometimes you can't even pull the "I can tank this one hit" card, and while Skarm is less passive, it is still exploitable. And the lack of U-turn can hurt a bit when building, meaning it's more restricted to defensive play styles instead of corvs range (which is from stall to BO in paper), but the things skarm can do, it does them better than corv. Which is why im only doing a small rank. Skarm IS what people think corv trully is

:Pecharunt: New ----> C-

It's okay I guess, hex + toxic / confusion spam and parting shot is cute and annoying, but it cannot touch any steels outside dengo. 88 speed is good enough in very specific scenarios. This thing is gonna be useful on 1 or 2 stall teams and that's it

:Incineroar: UR -----> C

This one is not a personal thing, I saw a guy making a small wave with this thing. Based on his efforts, it essentially checks gholdengo, gambit, meow, weavile, and can yolo himself vs Volcarona and Roaring Moon, which is a small list, but it has some important mons, so I'd say to let it pass the quality check. His RMT does not have replays tho, so I understand if you people are hestitant about it

:blaziken: -> C+ / C
Agreed with this post, Blaziken is just outclassed in general by Gouging Fire when it comes to fire sweepers in sun

:Tornadus therian: from B+ to B-

Knock Off and U-turn is cool on a regen mon and all that, but when was the last time has someone run into this on ladder, I swear to god this thing is nowhere to be seen, and like, sure sounds usable, but Its nowhere near B+ imo

:zapdos: from B to B+

NOW HEAR ME OUT, this thing is underrated, I know gliscor and kyurem shit all over it, but it's fucking zapdos, who can reliably get lucky para into moon? zapdos, who can get suicide lucky para into iron boulder? zapdos, who can pack weather ball to lure iron threads in rain as well as gliscor with hail, zapdos, who can force meowscarada into using tera electric 100% of the time just to deal with your ass, fucking zapdos, and keep in mind most meows do not run tera electric, the gliscor meta has pushed a lot of mons who zapdos deals with on the forefront, give it another try, embrace the hax, let luck smile at you and be sure to smile back

and that's it, now give me hahas and negative dehumanizing comments

:Pecharunt: New ----> C-

It's okay I guess, hex + toxic / confusion spam and parting shot is cute and annoying, but it cannot touch any steels outside dengo. 88 speed is good enough in very specific scenarios. This thing is gonna be useful on 1 or 2 stall teams and that's it
Psssst

Use Specsarunt

Pecharunt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Puppeteer
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Malignant Chain
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast
- Parting Shot

Gets rid of your steel problem while still allowing you to be an annoying pivot that spreads Toxic through Malignant Chain. I think this is its best OU set and bumps it up to around a C+.

:pecharunt: -> C+ / B-
Based solely from my experience using the bulky pivot set, I think this guy has a niche on dark spam BO teams. It pairs very well with options commonly run on these teams such as Lando-T and Samurott-H, acting as a solid spinblocker and debugger + general troll with Parting Shot + Recover. You severaly debuff switch-ins like Gambit and Ting-Lu for partners like Hatterene and Lando-T. It can enable some other stuff like Hoopa-U, which is still flawed, but is threatening a KO every time it's on the field and synergies really well with pechurant due to its lopsided special bulk.

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
:azumarill:

Prim being B+ while Azu is C is really bad placement imo. I'll def make a longer post when I have time but while Azu lacks Prim's bulk, lacks flip turn and is a phys attacker (generally worse than special attackers) it more than makes up for it by having knock, priority, and is a lot stronger. I would put this mon as high as B+ i think it's only slightly worse than prim. Also rotom wash is absurdly low.

(I'll elaborate more when I have the time)

:azumarill:

Prim being B+ while Azu is C is really bad placement imo. I'll def make a longer post when I have time but while Azu lacks Prim's bulk, lacks flip turn and is a phys attacker (generally worse than special attackers) it more than makes up for it by having knock, priority, and is a lot stronger. I would put this mon as high as B+ i think it's only slightly worse than prim. Also rotom wash is absurdly low.

(I'll elaborate more when I have the time)
I agree. Azu is underrated right now and rotom is a great bulky pivot on Balance and BO. In fact the team I'm using currently uses rotom.

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
:azumarill: C->B+

I think any ranking of this mon below B- is trolling. This mon is really good, not even a gimmick. To put it into perspective I think this mon should be in the same tier :primarina: is, since it is only slightly worse. The set in question that I think makes azu good is CB; I don't think AV or belly drum azu are good and if that's what people think azu does it makes sense why this is ranked C.

Azu differentiates itself from :primarina: and other breakers because of its role compression and pure breaking capability. When you build offense/BO you will need to fit speed control/priority for HO as well as knock, so that you can beat balance/stall. Azu fits jet (which is also really strong for a priority move) and knock (also a very strong knock despite being non-STAB) which gives this mon utility and more importantly frees up your teammates. For example, you can drop knock on :great tusk: for a coverage move.

I also think azu has great synergy with certain offensive mons, I made a keld team (on RMT) that featured CB azu as a partner to keld which facilitates it really well since your knocks land on water resists like :toxapex: :amoonguss: :dondozo: or you can pair it with other physical attackers to overhwelm :skarmory:. With jolly you can outspeed most skarm and get a 2hko after rocks/liquidation defence drop.

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 160 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 132-156 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Speaking of which this mon is insanely hard to switch into. :toxapex: is less common and more pex run spdef anyways but even pex isnt a good switch-in. And if pex is this mon's best switch-in not much else can defensively check this mon. Legitimately, this might be the hardest mon to switch into for most teams.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 234-276 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 176-208 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 283-334 (94 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Archaludon: 195-231 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Being hard to switchin to does not make a mon viable, or else rampardos would be top tier. However, azu doesn't only beat fat teams (which it does really well) but it's great into offenses. Don't forget that this mon still has one of the best dual types in the game, and decent natural bulk (you will need to run speed so it isn't that bulky). It eats a lot of neutral hits and most likely if you outspeed azu you probably get OHKOd by one of its moves. Tho this does mean vs offense azu is mainly a trade mon, this can still be valuable. It can softcheck a lot of popular picks such as :roaring moon: :dragapult: :iron valiant: :walking wake: :kingdra: :zamazenta: :cinderace: :weavile:.

This is without even going into imo azu's best quality over other breakers - that being aqua jet. In gen 9 fitting priority is extremely useful, since mons can tera to beat your team. Azu's jet is one of the strongest non-drawback priority moves, and this allows him to be great into HO. The most obvious target is :volcarona: though you can even go for play rough/knock vs it to predict their tera since azu is so bulky. Other targets include :iron boulder: :darkrai: :enamorus: :cinderace: :blaziken: :hawlucha: :kingambit: as well as tera'd mons like :roaring moon: :gouging fire:. Of course most of these examples don't drop to CB jet but having an out vs some of these mons is very useful. Having an azu in the back allows you to play more aggressively since you can probably rk them with jet.

Also there's rain which azu can abuse as well as check. Non-rain azu going against rain is an insane MU since they probably don't have much to switch into liquidations or play rough. You also softcheck one of their swift swimmers. Rain azu is also probably good tho I haven't tried it personally.

Obviously azu has a lot of flaws. It's slow, can only defensively check 1 mon most of the time (aside from jet revenge killing) and unlike prim it makes contact. However, I think overall this mon should be seriously considered when building gen 9 offense since it offers so much that no other mon can achieve. Replays (1800s-1900s) below:

Azu can make long-term progress vs balance despite pex+skarm since skarm will eventually run out of roosts

Azu prevents the draco midground and kills a chipped gliscor

Azu puts the opp in a 50/50 whenever it comes out, eventually I get it right and kill their water immunity

Thx for reading. I love azu.

:zapdos: from B to B+

NOW HEAR ME OUT, this thing is underrated, I know gliscor and kyurem shit all over it, but it's fucking zapdos, who can reliably get lucky para into moon? zapdos, who can get suicide lucky para into iron boulder? zapdos, who can pack weather ball to lure iron threads in rain as well as gliscor with hail, zapdos, who can force meowscarada into using tera electric 100% of the time just to deal with your ass, fucking zapdos, and keep in mind most meows do not run tera electric, the gliscor meta has pushed a lot of mons who zapdos deals with on the forefront, give it another try, embrace the hax, let luck smile at you and be sure to smile back

and that's it, now give me hahas and negative dehumanizing comments
Zap should probably be lower if anything, Raging Bolt being one of the most used mons absolutely fucks zapdos over in every concievable way as Zapdos is just a massive liability into it way along with gliscor being used a ton. It also doesn't do super well into AV Archaludon sets thanks to forcing zapdos into using its weaker heat waves and being able to hit zapdos back with Nuclear Draco meteors or effortlessly dragon tailing it ou A lot of the new mobs actually really hurt zap.

Also torn might be due for a rise down the line if anything due to the decline of Waterpon, Rockpon, and Zapdos which all dropped in usage that would all really annoy torn, allowing torn to do its job as a regen knock mon more effectively without having to worry about zapdos static procs. Tornadus-T stonks are up lately, not having to worry about Zapdos static due to Zapdos being kinda bad is big. Plus rain being really good and torn being preferred on rain over zapdos is really good for it, as Tornadus-T pairs well with rain abusers like Greninja and Archaludon who are strong in their own right. Sure Raging Bolt annoys it, but tornadus-t can at least try to knock it off and can still provide value thanks to that. Just thought I would point out the meta developments that worked in favor of torn-t as of recent.

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
:azumarill: C->B+

I think any ranking of this mon below B- is trolling. This mon is really good, not even a gimmick. To put it into perspective I think this mon should be in the same tier :primarina: is, since it is only slightly worse. The set in question that I think makes azu good is CB; I don't think AV or belly drum azu are good and if that's what people think azu does it makes sense why this is ranked C.

Azu differentiates itself from :primarina: and other breakers because of its role compression and pure breaking capability. When you build offense/BO you will need to fit speed control/priority for HO as well as knock, so that you can beat balance/stall. Azu fits jet (which is also really strong for a priority move) and knock (also a very strong knock despite being non-STAB) which gives this mon utility and more importantly frees up your teammates. For example, you can drop knock on :great tusk: for a coverage move.

I also think azu has great synergy with certain offensive mons, I made a keld team (on RMT) that featured CB azu as a partner to keld which facilitates it really well since your knocks land on water resists like :toxapex: :amoonguss: :dondozo: or you can pair it with other physical attackers to overhwelm :skarmory:. With jolly you can outspeed most skarm and get a 2hko after rocks/liquidation defence drop.

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 160 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 132-156 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Speaking of which this mon is insanely hard to switch into. :toxapex: is less common and more pex run spdef anyways but even pex isnt a good switch-in. And if pex is this mon's best switch-in not much else can defensively check this mon. Legitimately, this might be the hardest mon to switch into for most teams.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 234-276 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Fairy Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 176-208 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 283-334 (94 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Archaludon: 195-231 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Being hard to switchin to does not make a mon viable, or else rampardos would be top tier. However, azu doesn't only beat fat teams (which it does really well) but it's great into offenses. Don't forget that this mon still has one of the best dual types in the game, and decent natural bulk (you will need to run speed so it isn't that bulky). It eats a lot of neutral hits and most likely if you outspeed azu you probably get OHKOd by one of its moves. Tho this does mean vs offense azu is mainly a trade mon, this can still be valuable. It can softcheck a lot of popular picks such as :roaring moon: :dragapult: :iron valiant: :walking wake: :kingdra: :zamazenta: :cinderace: :weavile:.

This is without even going into imo azu's best quality over other breakers - that being aqua jet. In gen 9 fitting priority is extremely useful, since mons can tera to beat your team. Azu's jet is one of the strongest non-drawback priority moves, and this allows him to be great into HO. The most obvious target is :volcarona: though you can even go for play rough/knock vs it to predict their tera since azu is so bulky. Other targets include :iron boulder: :darkrai: :enamorus: :cinderace: :blaziken: :hawlucha: :kingambit: as well as tera'd mons like :roaring moon: :gouging fire:. Of course most of these examples don't drop to CB jet but having an out vs some of these mons is very useful. Having an azu in the back allows you to play more aggressively since you can probably rk them with jet.

Also there's rain which azu can abuse as well as check. Non-rain azu going against rain is an insane MU since they probably don't have much to switch into liquidations or play rough. You also softcheck one of their swift swimmers. Rain azu is also probably good tho I haven't tried it personally.

Obviously azu has a lot of flaws. It's slow, can only defensively check 1 mon most of the time (aside from jet revenge killing) and unlike prim it makes contact. However, I think overall this mon should be seriously considered when building gen 9 offense since it offers so much that no other mon can achieve. Replays (1800s-1900s) below:

Azu can make long-term progress vs balance despite pex+skarm since skarm will eventually run out of roosts

Azu prevents the draco midground and kills a chipped gliscor

Azu puts the opp in a 50/50 whenever it comes out, eventually I get it right and kill their water immunity

Thx for reading. I love azu.
IMG_5274.png

I’m gonna second this. B+ might be too big of a jump (also I don’t think Primarina is that good either), however I think Azu warrants a rise.

It might be a bit reliant on Tera and Future Sight to break in certain matchups, but Azumarill is a strong wallbreaker with priority that could also act as an emergency check to Valiant, Zama, Wake, etc.

One other thing I would like to point out is its defensive typing. Dragon/Fairy/Steel cores are incredible offensively and defensively, along with Fire/Water/Grass cores or FWG. Slapping Azumarill onto a team means you have room to fit both cores, Tusk, and any 6th Pokemon. Azumarill’s role compression also makes this more prominent.

so yeah, give Azu a raise.

Speaking of underrated picks.

IMG_2610.png
-> C+:

After spamming Sun for a couple of days, I’ve come to appreciate what Slither Wing offers for Sun teams. I have talked extensively about it in this post.

Choice Band Slither Wing can function as a niche wallbreaker with priority and defensive utility, but the set I want to touch on is the bulky pivot set.

Slither Wing @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 136 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stun Spore
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Morning Sun

(With 136 SpD EVs, Slither Wing gets a special defense boost under Sun, 12 Spe to outrun Adamant Gambit and Skarm, 108 Def to avoid a 2HKO from offensive Great Tusk.)

Slither Wing sports a unique defensive typing of Bug/Fighting, which has valuable resistances to Ground, Fighting, Grass, and Dark.

Slither Wing’s niche is being a rare Sun-oriented defensive pivot able to check
Raging Bolt, Speed Boost Walking Wake, Kingambit, Archaludon, Darkrai, Great Tusk, Zamazenta, Kyurem, Keldeo, W-Ogerpon, and soft-check Gholdengo and Specs Dragapult.

All while clicking U-Turn to enable the powerful offensive threats Sun teams utilize or crippling them with Stun Spore. It also sports the spammable Low Kick which is 120 bp against many of the heavy pokes in the tier, most notably the paradox doggos and Great Tusk, 2HKO or 3HKOing them even uninvested.

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 181-214 (53.3 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 64 HP / 28 Def Raging Bolt: 177-208 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gouging Fire: 142-168 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 133-157 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (120 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta: 100-118 (30.7 - 36.3%) -- 55.1% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 246-290 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Slither Wing Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Archaludon: 180-212 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

Sun teams often lack sturdy ground resists, a special wall, and a defensive pivot. Slither Wing being able to accompany these roles all at once not only helps Sun play around its bad matchups, including opposing Sun teams, but also allows the offensive archetype of Sun maintain momentum. Tera Water lets Slither Wing flip the matchup with Fire types and switch into SpA Proto Wake’s Tera Water boosted Hydro Steam.

Slither Wing is so specially defensively fat, that it eats a +1 STAB Moonblast from Iron Valiant

+1 252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 260-308 (69.5 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Also here’s some other defensive calcs

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing: 136-161 (36.3 - 43%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Protosynthesis Raging Bolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 129-153 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ SpA Protosynthesis Raging Bolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 195-229 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 39-47 (10.4 - 12.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever

+2 252 SpA Tera Poison Darkrai Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 178-211 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing: 110-130 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing: 159-187 (42.5 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing: 237-279 (63.3 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (under Sun you could heal up and get out of Sucker range after rocks)

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 130-154 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing in Sun: 262-310 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing in Sun: 196-232 (52.4 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Slither Wing: 121-143 (32.3 - 38.2%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing in Sun: 114-136 (30.4 - 36.3%) -- 54.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 97-115 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 236-280 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- not a KO

+2 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 235-277 (62.8 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ SpA Archaludon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing: 303-357 (81 - 95.4%) -- not a KO

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Slither Wing in Sun: 169-199 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Tera Water Slither Wing in Sun: 147-174 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Protosynthesis Tera Water Slither Wing in Sun: 147-174 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2039451510-rx5htuhgy42mdrxev6vbjus7sasul1ipw
(after Gouging Fire is slept and weakened, Slither Wing 1v1s both the Raging Bolt and Walking Wake even when the Sun is gone)

Current meta trends have been favorable for Slither Wing. Zapdos has dipped in usage due to new additions like Kyurem, Gliscor, and Raging Bolt. The new paradox doggos, plus recent developments like Venu/H-Lilli with Sleep Powder has made Sun more prominent recently.

Slither Wing at least deserves to be in the C ranks for what it provides for Sun.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
:sv/cinderace:
:cinderace: A- -> B+/B

I believe Cinderace is heavily overrated in the current metagame, being deadweight into multiple common teamstyles. Against stall and balance, what does cinderace realistically accomplish? It court changes once, and then... allows common hazard setters (especially Gliscor) to just get up 3 layers again. Against Rain it's a free switchin for anything, against Sun it's a free Walking Wake, many HO teams run multiple pokemon that outrun and crush Cinderace or can take pyro ball and don't mind burns. All slow playstyles run bulky waters, which prevent Cinderace from making any progress at all. Realistically, Cinderace is only special vs screens and Great Tusk is otherwise superior at being a hazard remover that actually keeps hazards off the fields and isn't a dead/nearly dead slot into half of all teams.

Cinderace does have some utility that prevents it from being useless, being a nice spreader of burn and pairing well with rocks weak special wallbreakers like Kyurem and Enamorus, however I feel it's not nearly enough to justify a place in the A ranks.

:sv/cinderace:
:cinderace: A- -> B+/B

I believe Cinderace is heavily overrated in the current metagame, being deadweight into multiple common teamstyles. Against stall and balance, what does cinderace realistically accomplish? It court changes once, and then... allows common hazard setters (especially Gliscor) to just get up 3 layers again. Against Rain it's a free switchin for anything, against Sun it's a free Walking Wake, many HO teams run multiple pokemon that outrun and crush Cinderace or can take pyro ball and don't mind burns. All slow playstyles run bulky waters, which prevent Cinderace from making any progress at all. Realistically, Cinderace is only special vs screens and Great Tusk is otherwise superior at being a hazard remover that actually keeps hazards off the fields and isn't a dead/nearly dead slot into half of all teams.

Cinderace does have some utility that prevents it from being useless, being a nice spreader of burn and pairing well with rocks weak special wallbreakers like Kyurem and Enamorus, however I feel it's not nearly enough to justify a place in the A ranks.
Cinderace is a decent fast pivot on some playstyles with libero and u-turn. Against stall and balance it can at least bring in one of your wallbreakers. Against HO, yeah it's pretty deadweight but remember that if your team has a certain weakness to a type, say fairy, then it might be justifiable to look to other options for fast ultility mons, and I think cinderace is one of those more niche options.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
:sv/barraskewda: A- -> A

Barra's become a staple on most rains, it's an incredibly useful piece of speed control for rain to beat out the plethora of Booster Energy Pokemon in the meta, particularly Iron Valiant, Roaring Moon (50/50 if not tera'd), Iron Boulder and Gouging Fire. I'd say it's as necessary to run on rain as Archaludon is right now. It heavily appreciates the lower usage of Ogerpon-W as well.

:sv/iron_treads: B+ -> A-

Iron treads has proved to be a very valuable hazard remover in the current meta, being one of the best checks to Archaludon with it's special set, without being a huge momentum sink.

njnp 's triple steel rain showcases just how good it's special set can function.
https://pokepast.es/5a65596dcdbb624b

:sv/amoonguss: B -> C+

Rest in pepperonis

:Amoonguss:
B -> C+
We all know why Amoongus is gonna drop in viability, though I am being more generous as a bulky grass/poison type with regenerator still has some value, being able to use its type to switch into the likes of Rillaboom, Iron Valiant, Enamorus, Serperior, etc and then heal off most if not all that damage.
:Breloom:
C -> D or Unranked
Get him out of here. Spore is Breloom's saving grace during these times and it's not worth using it any more.

Last edited:
I think Amoonguss' typing still gives its some recourse as a Bulky Grass type. Even if it doesn't run Spore, it can still run other status like Stun Spore, which can be really useful against certain offense matchups. With that said, that benefit might not outweigh the loss of Spore, so maybe a drop to C+ might be warranted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 11)