Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
but of course in the incredibles universe superheroes are on government contract so it makes sense. but yeah i never connected that this was like his terrible civilian life that he is now forced to live
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
But....he was an insurance salesman
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
what?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
It wasn't a fake identity thing, he actually was forced to sell insurance
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I know. But that wasn't until after he was forced to retire as a superhero
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I always thought he had a day job and then moonlighted as a superhero, know what I am saying? like how Peter Parker is a photographer or scientist, Daredevil is a lawyer, Clark Kent is a reporter, etc.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I see what you're saying
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
yeah. so it's like way more of an impact I mean. to go from that kind of exciting superhero life to workin behind a desk. whereas all of the other classic superheroes kinda want to have a regular life
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Just more evidence how the incredibles is a deconstruction of the genre. Bob just wants to be a superhero forever but every other character disagrees. In fact the only other character that wants superheroes back is the villain!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
just so that he can have them gone on his own terms though.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I think that's reading into the "when everyone's super, no one will be". I don't think he wants supers "gone" or "gone on his own terms," what he wants is respect. He associates superheroes with respect because of the public's admiration. He wants the "golden age" of the superheros to return as long as he gets to participate. If his master plan was to erase the supers, well he did 95% of that already