Smogon Forums

JMC
Indeed! I stumbled across that old topic while searching for what changed when the 2014 discovery happened. Bizarre to see that much discussion over a metagame that I though was finalized around 15 years ago, haha! (I also seemed to agree with the super-vets that posted there like you, hehe.)
Hipmonlee
Hipmonlee
Fun story, I had been away for a couple of years when that discovery was made but came back to play in world cup. They told me about the body slam mechanic change halfway through my first battle...

Big difference is reflect + rest lax is the most common set now and Chansey is even better now (even better than lax IMO). Otherwise things are mostly the same.

Are you still in Kentucky?
JMC
Reflect Lax? That is wild. I was reading in that post how the metagame got slower, and I don't understand how, lol. It seems like the same tactics from 10 years ago would work just fine, though (you just can't expect lucky paraslams).

I'm in Washington DC now! How about yourself?
Hipmonlee
Hipmonlee
I live in Wellington, I have a baby on the way! And I'm finishing up a PhD.

The reflect Lax is because Lax can basically just counter other Laxes. If you can paralyse the enemy snorlax then your own snorlax is going to be a very safe check for it for almost as long as you need it to, since it is never gonna have to worry about FPing.