UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Format and a lot of the OP stolen from the OU thread.

Incredible artwork by ToxicPhox.

Preface:

Hi there UU! This project has been a popular one on Smogon a while, and I've decided to bring it to UU because it fits the tier to a 'T.' There are many Pokemon viable in the UU tier, stretching all the way down to NU, however the UU stats show a sharp drop off right after the tier boundary. There are a few Pokemon close to UU usage, but not nearly enough considering how many lower tier Pokemon are viable. So this project is intended to have users reach down into lower tiers and see what gems they can unearth.

The Mission:

The purpose of this project threefold. It should increase diversity in the UU metagame by encouraging the competitive use of great Pokemon that unfortunately fall on the lower end of usage. This project also aims to initiate discussion on how Dark Horse Pokemon fit in the context of the UU metagame. Finally, it should assist in the the sharing of unique team ideas and Pokemon sets to spark creativity into the competitive minds of the UU subforum. Let's begin.

Rules:

This project, simply put, aims at recognizing users who put forth the effort to create a competitively successful team that utilizes Pokemon that aren't often used in UU. Anyone with a Smogon account has a chance of reaching the Hall of Fame within this project. Here are the rules by which this project is run:

• Each team must use at least ONE Dark Horse Pokemon. The term "Dark Horse Pokemon" is defined by the past months stats. Anything below 4% usage is fair game. This means that a Pokemon can be tiered in UU and still be viable for this project!

• Only one Pokemon on your team has to be a Dark Horse Pokemon. The rest of your teammates, with the exceptions of Pokemon ranked as S shown here, can be found within any tier that is allowed within UU.

• The recommended number of Dark Horse Pokemon to register with is one, so that the user can focus specifically on that Pokemon and how to best build a team around it. Having more than one Dark Horse is perfectly fine of course, but please indicate that you are working with more than one.

• You MUST use a new Pokemon Showdown! Username in order to restart your ladder ranking. Furthermore, the Dark Horse Pokemon that you are working with must remain on your team throughout your ladder run. The members of your team may shift around whenever you see fit, but the Dark Horse Pokemon must remain the same.

• Switching your focused Dark Horse Pokemon within this topic is acceptable. However, you must restart on the ladder with a new Pokemon Showdown! Username.

• Please put all changes within your Registration Form. I update based on those forms, not individual posts randomly scattered throughout the topic.

• Do not start laddering for this project until you have registered within this topic.

• Please follow the rules. The Dark Horse Project isn't about being dishonest, it's about developing great teams for great Pokemon! As a result, cheaters will most likely end up being banned from the Hall of Fame.

• It is recommended that you post consistent ladder updates within your registration form. This will allow other users to see your progress and offer meaningful advice!

You are eligible to register for the Dark Horse Project at any time of the month! The third post in this topic contains an index for easy access to all participants, so don't worry about your Registration Form getting lost in the sea of discussion. Get started by filling out the below form:

Registration Form said:
Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:
Remember, your "Pokemon Showdown! Username" should be new so that your Dark Horse Pokemon will be starting from scratch. Your "Hall of Fame Standing" should be empty for right now. But once you're admitted into the Hall of Fame, feel free to update this part with links to your accomplishment!

Feel free to utilize Pokemon sprites to add visualization to your registration posts. Really anything can go here. If you've made posts elsewhere or even a RMT, feel free to link to it there. Here's an example of what a registration post might look like:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: example.jpg
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Golurk
Current Ladder Standing: 1704

Here's the current Golurk set I'm working with:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Once you've registered, you're all set to go! You can start teambuilding and laddering whenever you like. Feel free to update your registration posts whenever you like, whether it be with ladder ranking updates, your teammate selections, battle logs, sprites, or whatever you wish to do!

Ace Emerald

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hall of Fame:

Now comes the competitive aspect of this project. Once you've reached a ranking within the Top 50 on Smogon's competitive UU ladder (with a minimum Glicko2 rating of 1850) with your Dark Horse Pokemon, you are eligible to enter the Hall of Fame! The Hall of Fame is located within the post below the OP and recognizes each user that has entered its halls. Once you've reached the Top 50, please fill out the following Hall of Fame Registration Form:

Hall of Fame Registration Form said:
Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of Top 50 Ladder Ranking:
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
As with the regular Registration Form, you are encouraged to upload battle logs, teammates, and other relevant information. Since you're entering the Hall of Fame with a successful team, many users would love to hear some wisdom on how you accomplished that goal. So feel free to post a summary of your team (similar to a RMT), battle logs, and general thoughts. Once you've filled out this form, you'll be accepted into the Hall of Fame, which will link to your Hall of Fame Registration Form and other relevant links.

Now, there is one final catch to this project. You see, only one of each Dark Horse Pokemon is allowed into the Hall of Fame per month. For example, only the challenger who laddered highest with Venomoth will be accepted this month; Venomoth challengers with lower ladder ratings cannot enter the Hall of Fame until they pass the highest rating for Venomoth. That's where the competitive edge comes into play. You are racing against other users for a place in the Hall of Fame! Furthermore, the Hall of Fame ranking is based off of peak ladder ranking points, meaning the more points you score, the higher you'll be placed. So now that you know the rules, get registered and start team building! Best of luck. If you have any questions, send me a PM or VM. I hope to see you in the Hall of Fame.

Hall of Fame Archive:
Grandmaster: >2050 & top 3
Hyperbeem- Galvantula

Gold Class: 2049-2000 & top 10

Silver Class: 1999-1900 & top 20

Bronze Class: 1899-1850 & top 50
relaunched- Durant
FlareBlitz- Ditto

Ace Emerald

Player List:

ScraftyIsTheBest - Amoonguss (Fear the Shroom)

RT. - Escavalier (dark moose)

Reaver12 - Victrebell (SolPower)

Absolete - Gallade (it'sGalladebro)

Ernesto - Miltank and Slowking (myconnectionsucks)

PTJon7 - Piloswine (ArticWonder)

TPO3 - Lanturn (Rolling Thunder)

shiranai - Medicham (Zen Mode)

speed ghilliesniper - Ludicolo and Kabutops (speedyg)

Metal Sonic - Hitmonlee (Egg Pawn Army 2)

exotic - Lilligant and Omastar (25 to live)

BROStime - Absol (Absolost)

Grim Gregg - Poliwrath (Glory2TheHypnoToad)

SpareAacount - Swellow (qweruit)

Master of the Six Kings - Golurk (LurKing)

relaunched - Durant (rijsttafel2)

Magolor - Galvantula and Cinnicino (Hazama)

FlareBlitz - Ditto (FossilFlare)

Homeslice - Gardevoir (Homefizzle)

Kojes - Aerodactyl (Istants)

Cherub Agent - Escavalier, Duosion, and Rotom-F (CherubAgent)

Sound - Glaceon (Cold Dish)

Drako - Scyther (DrakoYoloo)

celever - Hitmonless and Houndoom (Celaver)

Master of the Six Kings - Golurk (LurKing)

relaunched - Durant (rijsttafel2)

FlareBlitz - Ditto (FossilFlare)

Hyperbeem - Galvantula (HyperDH)

Explorer - Aggron and Hariyama (Gargantuan Steel)

The Ordinary - Aggron and Sigilyph (Spook 3.21)

Muddyyeti - Tornadus (DiamondIs)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Count me in this.

Pokemon Showdown! username: Fear the Shroom
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet
Dark Horse Pokemon currently working with: Amoonguss
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None as of yet

Nas

Banned deucer.
Pokemon Showdown! Username: dark moose
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Escavalier

Pokemon Showdown! Username: SolPower
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Victreebel & Cressilia
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1741 (43 & 13)

EDIT: Gonna have to change my alt. Totally forgot about the restriction on S tier Pokemon and built my sun team with Crobat. Gonna go with SolPower this time.

EDIT 2: Added Cressilia to replace the Crobat I mistakenly used on my first attempt. Plays differently obviously, but it didn't require many changes to make it fit.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Am I allowed to just ladder with team MediCross again? I was top 15 for a few days, but never took a screenshot, so I guess I have to do it again.

Ace Emerald

Am I allowed to just ladder with team MediCross again? I was top 15 for a few days, but never took a screenshot, so I guess I have to do it again.
Heracross is ranked S tier, so you have to find another Medicham buddy.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: it'sGalladebro
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet! None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Gallade
Current Ladder Standing: Unranked

Pokemon Showdown! Username: myconnectionsucks for the moment at least
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Miltank, Slowking, and Durant. It's become a staple now
Current Ladder Standing: -

Also, what's with the All Caps in Almost Every Word? :P

Pokemon Showdown! Username: ArcticWonder
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Piloswine
Current Ladder Standing: N/A

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
PokemonShowdown! Username: Rolling Thunder
Hall of fame Standing: None yet :F
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Lanturn
Current Ladder: nufin'

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Zen Mode
Hall of Fame Standing: none yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Medicham
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None yet

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Graveyard
Hall Of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Druddigon
Current Ladder Standing:

Never played UU, might as well branch out. Wish I could use Kingdra but I'll try a rain team anyways.
Pokemon Showdown! Username: speedyg
Hall of Fame Standing: none yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ludicolo, Kabutops
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None yet

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username:Egg Pawn Army 2
Hall of Fame Standing:NA
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Hitmonlee
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:1715

So it just so happens my masterpiece UU team's sweeper is a dark horse.

Apart from that, fuck laddering, I had 2035 peak with Egg Pawn Army, but that stupid provisional rating name was always next to my ranking. I gave up.

Update: Doing good for the first 30 min! will continue when I feel more alert, that tired me out kinda, don't wanna choke

Update 2: Very pissed off. My ladder streak broke at 9 wins; not because of hax, but because the fucking Ps DISCONNECTED. How the ruck do I get back into my game??? Fix please. idgi. My rank went down by nearly 50

Update 3: SHOWDOWN IS A PILE OF DUNG *Rage* Happened again.. Laddering has its hazards...

Pokemon Showdown! Username: 25 to live
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: lilligant and omastar
Current Ladder Standing: 1650

omg lilli is amazing, sweeping noobs. Also, special vicitini is really good.

Edit : If there was no hax, this would be so much easier. 3 of the 4 losses were because of hax.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Absolost
Hall of Fame Standing: None!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Absol
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Glory2TheHypnoToad
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Poliwrath
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: None

There's something seriously wrong with PS!, six times I got disconnected and couldn't get back to the match. I was really spectating my own match without being able to do anything, it's unbelievable.

Other than that, Miltank is pretty cool, Slowking is simply amazing and Scarf Swarm Durant and Mixed Doom are pretty cool... I guess I'll have to start over again when I can find another alt, because really, after losing six out of seven/eight matches due to that, there's little one can do to improve one's rating.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: qweruit
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Swellow

May I restart the challenge with another nick? Medicham really needs the help of some S rank to succed in the metagame (specially Snorlax, Heracross and Crobat), and without them in almost every role you try (LO sweeper, wallbreaker, Scarf sweeper) I found another pokemon doing that role better than Medicham.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's something seriously wrong with PS!, six times I got disconnected and couldn't get back to the match. I was really spectating my own match without being able to do anything, it's unbelievable.
Yeah fix pls

idgi

it ruined my 100% win rate

Pokemon Showdown! Username: LurKing
Hall of Fame Standing: ---
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Golurk
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: ---

Okay, so i'm 18-1 right. But my ACRE went from 1906 to 1740 in between two battles, even though i won those two. So...yeah. I was a few more wins away from getting out of provisional too, and now i wouldnt even be on the ladder. Ugggh

Heya Speed, yep, you are my 1 loss xD

Ugh, 25-2 and only at 93rd. Top 50 seems really steep. Seriously. i went 32-2 and still didnt break 70, because i get about 2 points per win. 50 is too high. i was 32-2, hax like a mothertrucker for 6 straight losses.

I actually just beat LurKing with some waterfall hax on my testing alt, that was a very strong team. Anyways, I'v been been laddering hard with 2 accounts and I just can't break over the 1700's. Manual rain is super powerful but it seems like every time I get close to 1800 I run into a Kingdra based team, and then just sorta watch as Kingdra wrecks everything of mine under rain or outside of it because it outspeeds and OHKO's all my sweepers with it's Swift Swim and beats all my summoners 1 on 1. Unless they play super stupid and let me paralyze it they don't have to much trouble I'm afraid. Might try again with a sun team, I'v been pleasantly surprised with how unprepared most teams are for manual weather, even beat 2 hail teams it's just Kingdra is a booger because I'm basically doing it's job for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)