UU Stall - Plain and Straightforward

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Initial View:
410.png
237.png
497.png
447.png
113.png
350.png

410.png

Roserade
(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 52 HP/206 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis / Leech Seed

Basic Role: Roserade lays down the Spikes that are of all-importance to a Stall Team. It also acts as a Toxic Spikes absorber, which is significant because Chansey and Milotic's longevities are greatly diminished by Toxic Spikes. Finally, Roserade acts as an okay check against certain Grass-types.

Roserade fills this spot mainly for two reasons: Spikes and absorbing Toxic Spikes. I also like the fact that it has an amount of longevity thanks to decent Special Defense combined with a form of recovery.

I chose Hidden Power Fire to help deal with opposing Grass/Poison types. I am considering switching back to Sludge Bomb to help deal with Shaymin, though. It also helps with Honchkrow and Fire-types.

I originally had Rest in the last slot, but through testing I have found that I like Synthesis more. I'm sort of toying around with Leech Seed in my head, but I don't think it's a good idea since I already have problems with Grass-types.

EVs: I EVed it so that it was 3HKOed by an opposing Timid Roserade's Sludge Bomb, but I keep running into Specs Roserade and Modest Scarf Roserade so it seems pretty situational. I'm not sure if just running max speed would be better.

237.png

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Foresight / Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Basic Role: Hitmontop's basic purpose is to stop specific physical threats. Intimidate is also very helpful in reducing the threats that certain Pokemon (ie; Swellow) pose that cannot be met unless in extremely ideal battling conditions (ie; Swellow and Milotic switch in at the same time.) Rapid Spin, while a bit of an afterthought, is useful as well.

Hitmontop's main purpose was initially to get rid of Clefable. It doesn't do a very good job of it, though, as it usually ends up getting paralyzed and only 2HKOs. However, Hitmontop has proven to be useful against Drapion, Toxicroak, various Normal-typed physical sweepers and Absol. And Intimidate is a godsend.

Foresight/Rapid Spin is a bit mediocre. The problem is, I usually end up low on health and/or burned. I don't think there are many better options, though. Mach Punch might be worthy of consideration for some much needed priority to this team.

Earthquake over Stone Edge for Drapion, Muk and Toxicroak. Stone Edge isn't my cup of tea thanks to its accuracy.

EVs: Pretty self-explanatory.

497.png

Shaymin @ Leftovers
EVs: 66 HP/96 Atk/96 Spd/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
- Return

Basic Role: Shaymin grants my team a tinge of offense combined with some surprise value. Shaymin has proved to be quite useful when pitted against opposing Stall teams, who have limited ways to stop it. Shaymin is also my main Mismagius counter.

I always have to find room for something that looks really stupid on my team, whether it be Mantine, Wormadam-S, Luxray, or now, Swords Dance Shaymin. "Gimmicks" always seem to fit my teams well, and this is no exception. Not to mention that I would tire of using this team without something remotely interesting. I wanted something that could counter Mismagius (meaning I can't use the conventional Special based Shaymin) and Torterra at the same time.

While, this thing is walled to hell by Registeel, after that, you're hard pressed to find something to kill it outside of a revenge killer. The occasional Drifblim, maybe. Steelix and Drapion can switch in once or twice, but they're easily worn down.

EVs: 252 SDef/Careful means that I am 3HKOed by Shadow Ball barring a series of SDef drops. 96 Attack means that a +2 Seed Bomb KOs the standard Mismagius. 96 Speed allows me to outrun neutral natured Blaziken. The rest goes in 66 HP to accommodate for variables such as residual damage.

447.png

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/250 Def/8 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball

Basic Role: Spiritomb acts as an anti-spinner, a sleep absorber, a Fighting immunity, and a physical wall that has the ability to usually survive at least one physical assault and leave the offender with a burn.

To keep Spikes on the field, naturally, I need an anti-spinner. Spiritomb has the best all-around defenses, and as a plus, is not weak to stuff like Payback from the Ambipom and Hariyama on which I like to switch it.

Rest/Sleep Talk is pretty self-explanatory; over Pain Split because I needed a status absorber.

Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse. Initially it was due to Gallade, but the potential SDef drops has proven to be useful in a number of situations. I prefer that than having the ability to hit Normal types, most of aren't hurt much by Dark Pulse (Chansey/Clefable).

I chose to use Will-O-Wisp rather than Calm Mind because Spiritomb never seems to be able to stick around that much. "CroTomb" idoesn't seem to be as invincible as it once seemed to be.

EVs: The EV spread is mostly standard. 8 Speed lets me outrun opposing Spiritomb.

113.png

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def/8 Spd/250 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Basic Role: Chansey protects my team from high-powered Special assaults and helps in wearing down the more defensive of Pokemon with Toxic.

Chansey is basically the best special wall of UU. It basically plugs in the Special holes my team has. As a bonus, I have something that I can use to set up Stealth Rock.

Toxic is mainly for boosting Special attackers, such as Slowbro, and for things with recovery, such as Porygon2.

EVs: I snuck in an extra speed EV so I outrun 4 Speed Chansey and the Regis. Max defense is of course a priority so it can take weak physical hits from stuff like Quagsire and Steelix. Rest in SDef to augment its decent stat.

350.png

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 194 HP/252 Def/64 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Haze / Ice Beam
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Electric]

Basic Role: Milotic patches up the holes my team has, most of them physical ones. It also nullifies stat boosting Pokemon with Haze.

Token bulky water. I stuck this here after getting swept by a Houndoom. Apparently Chansey isn't as invincible as it seems on first sight.

I included Haze because Mismagius sometimes criticals Shaymin. This also helps against random stuff like Curse Umbreon or Curse Registeel. I am loosely considering Ice Beam for the occasional Dragon.

Hidden Power Grass is for Water types, most notably Kabutops and the other Rock/Water or Water/Ground Pokemon. I'm thinking about Hidden Power Electric for Qwilfish and Toxicroak, though.

EVs: 64 SpA nets it a guaranteed KO on Blaziken factoring in Life Orb Recoil. Rest of the EVs is to give Milotic the best physical defense possible.

Threat List:

C&Ped from this, so the Pokemon are in order of usage from last month. I edited out some Pokemon that I thought were not noteworthy (Hippopotas for one) and added some that weren't on the list.

Bolded threats are the biggest problems and italicized threats are minor problems.

Steelix - Hitmontop Rapid Spins away Stealth Rock, Spiritomb Burns, Milotic.

Mismagius - Shaymin survives 3 Shadow Balls barring luck, Milotic can Haze away boosts, Chansey can poison on a switch or if it doesn't have Substitute. Only a problem because Shaymin seems to be a magnet for SDef drops and Critical Hits.

Clefable - Spiritomb can stall it out, Shaymin can set up on it (switching to Spiritomb on predicted Encores to waste PP), Hitmontop .

Roserade - Very annoying. Chansey can take on anything without Leech Seed. Roserade can take on anything without Sludge Bomb or HP Fire or if it switches in at 100% health. Shaymin outruns certain variants and KOs with a +2 Return. If worse comes to worse, Chansey can outstall it.

Shaymin - Equally annoying. Roserade kills any without Air Slash. It can take one Air Slash if it needs to. Chansey can outstall most versions. My main method of dealing with this is forcing it to Rest either by Toxic or Life Orb recoil and then wearing its health down through entry hazards.

Claydol - Spiritomb blocks its Rapid Spin and kills it with Shadow Ball. Roserade survives Earth Power and kills it. Shaymin sets up on it. Milotic kills it. Chansey Toxics it.

Arcanine - Milotic easily walls it. CB Thunder Fangs are a 3HKO, but if it has taken residual damage, I can switch to Hitmontop to absorb it. This is usually not much of a problem thanks to all the entry hazards.

Slowbro - Chansey beats every Special variant. I've never seen Curse or Belly Drum, but Milotic beats them as well. Roserade and Shaymin set up on it.

Azumarill - Milotic takes its attacks, Shaymin can switch in on most attacks as well.

Registeel - Another annoyance. Anything without Rest is burned by Spiritomb. Curse versions are taken on by Milotic. If I don't attack it, I will stall it out in the end thanks to Haze's 64 PP (and switching).

Milotic - Chansey poisons this. Rest/Sleep Talk is beaten by Shaymin and Roserade.

Uxie - Chansey Poisons this. Obviously the big threat of this is dual-screening, which aren't generally a problem thanks to Haze Milotic.

Ambipom - Hitmontop, Spiritomb, Milotic.

Spiritomb - Shaymin/Roserade set up on it. Chansey poisons non-Rest versions. Milotic can Haze away boosts.

Hitmontop - Spiritomb walls it.

Blaziken - Milotic deals well against most versions. Mixed Versions, however, require extra vigilance, but Hitmontop can be used as a last resort if need be. Swords Dance + Superpower can also be a problem; again Hitmontop helps with this.

Honchkrow - Terribly annoying. Milotic is my first switch into this, as Drill Peck is a 3HKO (just barely, though). If need be, Hitmontop can take a Drill Peck after Intimidate and kill with Close Combat, and Spiritomb can burn it.

Chansey - Set up bait for Roserade. Also falls to Shaymin and Hitmontop.

Drapion - Somewhat of a problem. Hitmontop deals with most of them. In some cases, Milotic can Haze away boosts and wear it down with Surf. Spiritomb can burn it. Defensive versions aren't as threatening. Shaymin can be resorted to if the Drapion doesn't carry Cross Poison.

Typhlosion - Blissey and Milotic.

Venusaur - Very annoying. Chansey can take on anything without Leech Seed. Roserade can take on most without Sludge Bomb or HP Fire or if it switches in at 100% health. Shaymin outruns all variants and beats it with boosted Returns. If worse comes to worse, Chansey can outstall it. Yes, I just copied this from Roserade.

Hariyama - Spiritomb walls it.

Toxicroak - Hitmontop and Spiritomb deal with physical variants. The occasional special variant is definitely problematic. Hitmontop is probably the best way of dealing with this, followed by Chansey (some people use Focus Blast, though). Spiritomb can take a hit if need be.

Blastoise - Shaymin, Roserade, Chansey.

Absol - Hitmontop is about the #1 counter. Spiritomb and Milotic can be used if need be.

Espeon - Chansey, Spiritomb or Milotic if the need arises.

Kabutops - This is pretty threatening under the rain. Milotic and Hitmontop are then my first switch-ins. Shaymin will work if it's not raining.

Magmortar - Chansey handles most variants. Milotic can also take a Thunderbolt and KO with Surf.

Altaria - The DDer is an enormous threat. My method of dealing with this is switching to Milotic on the Dragon Dance and using Haze as it Outrages. I then proceed to Recover to a safe health and try my luck with Surf. I usually force it out when it gets confused. Special versions are walled by Chansey.

Swellow - Another big threat. I can stall it a little with Spiritomb and Milotic depending on what I switch into or if I switch into it before Flame/Toxic Orb activates. As a last resort, Hitmontop survives a Brave Bird thanks to Intimidate and KOs back.

Ludicolo - Chansey walls it. I Toxic Leech Seed versions and switch as Poison damage mounts to a pretty decent level.

Swords Dance Ludicolo - I've only seen this once, but I only escaped its wrath because my opponent brought it in on a Toxic. I could see it as a problem.

Qwilfish - It's just annoying due to the threat of Explosion combined with Rain. Hitmontop is my main counter, Milotic can stall it a little.

Regirock - Milotic Hazes away Curses, Hitmontop spins away Stealth Rock, Shaymin can beat Regirock with multiple Swords Dances.

Rotom - Chansey. Roserade is a decent switch in for scouting for Trick.

Moltres - Chansey and Milotic.

Houndoom - Milotic survives a +2 Dark Pulse and KOs with Surf.

Feraligatr - Milotic Hazes DDs or 3HKOs with HP Grass while Recovering any hits taken.

Lanturn - Chansey Toxics, Shaymin sets up on.

Nidoking - I usually switch around so it will accrue residual damage from its Life Orb. Once I feel I've lured it into using Earthquake and that it's taken enough damage, I swich to Shaymin, who can outspeed an KO. Hitmontop and Milotic can also take a hit and KO.

Umbreon - Chansey poisons, Milotic Hazes away Curse.

Weezing - Milotic keeps Surfing to KO.

Torterra - Shaymin.

Smeargle - Most are leads, which Roserade outspeeds. Natural Cure deals with Spore. If I suspect Endeavor, I just switch to Spiritomb.

Nidoqueen - Hitmontop or Milotic.

Electrode - All it does really is Explode.

Sceptile - Special versions aren't really a problem. The most threatening is SD. Shaymin can usually win one on one thanks to having the stronger attack.

Miltank - Chansey wears it down with Toxic; Heal Bell won't last forever with only 8 PP. Hitmontop can kill it depending on the EV spread.

Charizard - Milotic deals with about every version.

Gardevoir - Chansey.

Medicham - Spiritomb.

Mesprit - Chansey.

Regice - Chansey.

Jumpluff - I let it put something to sleep and then set up on it with Roserade or Shaymin.

Floatzel - Milotic.

Omastar - Chansey or Milotic.

Scyther - Milotic or Spiritomb.

Ninetales - I let Milotic take the sleep (if any) and then poison it with Chansey. It has potential to cause more problems, but it's pretty uncommon anyway.

Hitmonlee - Spiritomb.

Leafeon (and SD Shaymin) - Uncommon, but I have almost no way of dealing with them. My best bet is burning with Spiritomb, repeated Intimidates, or wearing it down with my own Shaymin.

Exeggutor - Spiritomb and Chansey deal with most variants.

Drifblim - Milotic Hazes away boosts and wears it down with Surf.

Cradily - Worn down by Toxic from Chansey.

Tangrowth - Special version is walled by Chansey. Physical version is a bit tougher. I can probably deal with it with Roserade if it's not sunny, or Shaymin thanks to a stronger move (though I haven't done the calculations).

Porygon2 - Chansey.

Lapras - Special versions die to Chansey, physical one to Milotic or Shaymin.

Linoone - Spiritomb can take a hit and burn it. Its entrance is usually marked by a dual screener, so I can switch in Milotic and Haze the Belly Drum away.

Conclusion:
While this team looks a bit sub-par (to me, anyway, on paper) the results of using it have been pretty good. An earlier version of this team allowed me to reach Round 4 of the Smogon Tour, which is a great achievement when juxtaposed with all my other performances there. Still, I think it can be improved upon (just look at all those glaring weaknesses!). So rate, hate, etc.

Oh my god I cant stand going against this team. Without Raikou I have serious trouble getting around your Milotic and Blissey. Especially with Shaymin there as insurance against Espeon.

Though in my defense i didnt know who i was playing :P.

One almost beat you with my alt team, because I eventually crit Shaymin after a while, but then I think I may have gotten crit back by Milotic or something I dont remember, but i ended up losing.

This team is really well built, and shows how overpowering a good Stall can be. It makes me frusterated just looking at this :P.

A really Excellent team, I'd give it 5 Stars if I could :P.

Something I've played with in UU is only using one type of entry hazard. Roserade is utilizing Spikes, so I would recommend you test Wish/Protect over Softboiled/Stealth Rock on Chansey. The Flyers you have bolded are Altaria, Swellow, and Honchkrow. The way I see it, the only Flyer you would be very dependent on Stealth Rock to beat is Honchkrow. With that said, I think Wish/Protect would be more effective. Wish eases blows taken by the rest of your team upon switch ins. Protect can be used to scout or to build up Toxic damage. I know its a very small nitpick, but the team is very well built, so I congratulate you on building it.

Oh my god I cant stand going against this team. Without Raikou I have serious trouble getting around your Milotic and Blissey. Especially with Shaymin there as insurance against Espeon.

Though in my defense i didnt know who i was playing :P.

One almost beat you with my alt team, because I eventually crit Shaymin after a while, but then I think I may have gotten crit back by Milotic or something I dont remember, but i ended up losing.

This team is really well built, and shows how overpowering a good Stall can be. It makes me frusterated just looking at this :P.

A really Excellent team, I'd give it 5 Stars if I could :P.

Haha, thanks. I think how I won was I ended up predicting Mismagius's switch in and hitting it with Toxic.

Something I've played with in UU is only using one type of entry hazard. Roserade is utilizing Spikes, so I would recommend you test Wish/Protect over Softboiled/Stealth Rock on Chansey. The Flyers you have bolded are Altaria, Swellow, and Honchkrow. The way I see it, the only Flyer you would be very dependent on Stealth Rock to beat is Honchkrow. With that said, I think Wish/Protect would be more effective. Wish eases blows taken by the rest of your team upon switch ins. Protect can be used to scout or to build up Toxic damage. I know its a very small nitpick, but the team is very well built, so I congratulate you on building it.

I have tried a Wish Chansey (though I used Softboiled over Protect). The problem with it was that I could never seem to manage to successfully pass health over to the Pokemon I wanted to. Perhaps it was flawed playing, but I just never could make it work. Not to mention that 4 / 5 of my other Pokemon have their own methods of recovery. I could see it being quite useful for Hitmontop, but I think that I need Stealth Rock more. Keep in mind that Stealth Rock is not only useful for Flying-types. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

As you mentioned in your comments, a good Mix Blaziken wrecks your team. A fire-type lead will force Roserade out, and the occasional lead Swellow will do the same. You can't really switch anything into Brave Bird. Unless you're willing to sacrifice Chansey, that is.

Also, I think Torterra is more of a threat to your team than you think. Shaymin's going to be taking 2 Stone edges from it if it comes in on Rock Polish, though I'm not sure how much damage that would do. Perhaps you could consider the more standard LO Shaymin set, which has a good amount of bulk and sweeping power.

Haha, thanks. I think how I won was I ended up predicting Mismagius's switch in and hitting it with Toxic.

Oh right, and i also remember my Torterra's Stone Edge missed Shaymin twice! Grrr.....I was so close lol.

As you mentioned in your comments, a good Mix Blaziken wrecks your team. A fire-type lead will force Roserade out, and the occasional lead Swellow will do the same. You can't really switch anything into Brave Bird. Unless you're willing to sacrifice Chansey, that is.

Yea its true, but Pokemon like Blaziken dont have staying power against this stall team, so it has to be played very conservatively to be too effective. And ironically, EUM helped me (well gave me) the EVs for the mixed Blaziken after i gave him the set :P.

And Pointing out a Swellow weakness....EUM how do you deal with that?

Seeing as you're using Hitmontop to stop physical threats, I would recommend Brick Break or Hi Jump Kick over CC. Brick Break gives you a reliable attack whilst keeping your bulk, while also being able to break screens. Hi Jump Kick has more power over BB but has less than perfect accuracy. Unless your constantly switching out Top you should try one of the moves mentioned.

Back