(◕‿◕✿) Hours of Endless Entertainment (Momentum/U-Turn Stall)

Introduction: This team started with AJ's Concept: Momentum Stall, as an experiment since I lacked better things to test. I wanted to try out stall again, but not the "same 5 shit" as everyone else's stall teams. Ideally, rather than responding to everything defensively, always being in the right place at the right time (and using momentum gaining moves such as uturn/taunt, hazards, etc. to chip away at the opponent) is preferred. Realistically speaking though, responding to things defensively often *has* to happen, since an average of one turn (sometimes more) is lost to setting hazards, clerical duties, defogging, etc. Some things in this game are also unwallable and must be revenge killed. I will get to that in a moment..

So, in short the goal is to limit your opponent's ability to gain momentum on you. What is required to do this?

-Three to four switch moves (VoltSwitch/Uturn)
-1 Cleric
-1 VERY SOLID defog/spinner
-1 All purpose wall (Non turner, rounds out as many threats as possible)
-Non turners need to have good pivot abilities (Frisk, natural cure, intimidate, regenerator)

The idea is you move fast enough to maintain momentum/not lose it. Every move gains you some advantage. More importantly, with all the late switches, you can always be in on the best option and stop set up sweeps from happening. Even the turners are generally slower to maintain the ability to gain that switch initiative.

Remember that Uturn/Volt Switch are chip damage, not kill damage.

After playing with the original team, I have some additional recommendations for the playstyle in general, which do work to prevent setup (and therefore your opponent's momentum gain):

Taunt - shuts down many components of other stall teams, shuts down attempts to defog or set up, a good move in general. Even better on something unexpected (everyone expects Sableye to taunt, for example), for a surprise taunt for the initial momentum gain.

Knock off - Gets rid of Eviolites, Life Orbs, Choice Items, Leftovers etc. Chansey losing her Eviolite hurts stall teams, since now Uturn does its full potential damage. Loss of Leftovers makes something common to stall that lacks a healing move (such as Heatran) easier to wear down. Loss of a power boosting item hurts offensive teams, since now they lose many of the kills/2hko's they once had. Not completely necessary, but helpful.

A VERY SOLID/All-purpose Revenge Killer - The most dangerous threats in OU right now are unwallable, or close enough to be effectively so under the conditions of a real match. Unaware Pokemon such as Quagsire are close to useless vs. some threats, due to their attacks doing 70% or more to him anyway, or gimmicky sets including HP Grass/Grass Knot. Trappers are also incredibly common, to remove the few things in this game that these threats don't ohko. A solid revenge killer can get rid of Pinsir, Charizard X, Belly Drum Azumarill, etc. before they can become a real problem.

One offensive Pokemon - Can be used to threaten things that otherwise kill your entire team. Also helpful for beating other stall teams. Not an absolute requirement, but is still useful.

The Team:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Most people looking at my team in preview assume I'm using the standard Toxic Stall set. As a result, it is VERY common to see people send in Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or any steel type with a balloon. Hitting most of these with a surprise taunt often starts the momentum ball rolling in my favor. Rocks are used because something should carry them on the team. Earthquake is a solid STAB move that hits a lot of relevant threats. U-turn (used primarily when the opponent is about to switch out or if you outspeed them) is the second momentum gaining move on this set.

Toxic Heal allows him to gain very significant amounts of HP when out on things that do hardly anything to him. EV's turn him into a reasonable mixed wall, capable of defeating most Aegislash sets and taking some weaker SE hits on a mispredict (such as Rotom W's Hpump and most unboosted, non-stab HP ice). Speed outspeeds nearly all walls, allowing for the taunt before they get to do anything.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 56 Spd / 200 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

What's an Emmy team without a bug type? This one is amazing for a few reasons: 1. Massive defensive stats, 2. Massive Atk stat, 3. STAB Uturn. As an added bonus, it rarely needs a cleric except if burned, because it's immune to toxic and can heal itself. Be careful of random things carrying fire moves (HP Fire on random things has become increasingly common) and Scizor should suit you well. Defog is to remove hazards.

EV's outspeed Adamant Azumarill and uninvested base 80's, and otherwise maximize defense. This allows Scizor to scout better (uturning from Venusaur or Heatran, which is RISKY but often yields good results if you're out of other options for example), to do significant chunks of damage to Azumarill before it can do anything back, to roost before Skarmory/Mandibuzz can taunt him, etc.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

A mostly standard cleric Sylveon set. Specially defensive, because it allows it to have a chance (instead of just kinda dying) against Greninja, Keldeo, Charizard Y (which usually must be PP stalled out of its fire blast/sun turns with Wish/protect), and many other heavy hitting special attackers. My team is very physically bulky anyway, so any bit of special defense helps. I have plenty to switch into Outrageous Dragons (and can also revenge them).

Sylveon is preferred over Chansey for this particular type of team. Wish passing and Heal Bell becomes easier to accomplish if Sylveon forces something out as opposed to just being setup bait for everything ever. Resisting Pursuit further helps its clerical duties, not to mention being able to kill many things with its Hyper Voice.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Transform

The best revenge killer for a majority of the most dangerous threats in the metagame. Kills several things that are effectively unwallable (most are weak or at least neutral to their own attacks). Predict someone's Charizard wrong? Mega Pinsir got to +2? That Azumarill was really Belly Drum? No problem, Ditto can handle them and so much more. Ditto wears a scarf, allowing him to revenge kill a majority of the game's setup sweepers, and things using items other than scarf for the most part.

IV's are set to yield HP Flying, after testing. The most common users of hidden powers = Venusaur, Keldeo, Latios, Thundurus, Greninja. Flying hits 2 of these super effectively. Thundurus dies to Thunderbolt (which hits him neutrally). Latios dies to his own Draco Miss. Vs. Greninja, Flying will give a neutral to most of his common attacks (if it isn't already a better idea to just use Ice/Water if he just used Dark, or vice versa). With this spread, his HP is still odd, allowing extra switches into hazards (which are calculated by his base normal type, not by whatever he turns into, but it's still nice to do anyway since he's likely to switch a lot).

For those of you who are still wasting your time with changing Happiness on Pinsir:

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 168-198 (61.7 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 332-392 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This means if Pinsir took any prior damage (such as Stealth Rock + chip damage from a Uturn/rocky helm), or is at +2 or above, Ditto checks Pinsir regardless of what you set your Happiness to as long as you are using Quick Attack, which 99% of you are. Don't even bother unless Frustration makes you feel more like a hipster. The same goes for a vast majority of things using Return/Frustration. If you have even one other coverage move that hits yourself neutrally, that "fix" literally accomplished nothing.

I know many of you are saying that Ditto is unreliable, due to being only as good as what your opponent is using. This only seems to matter on lower ladder, where Ditto can provide hours of endless entertainment due to the downright ridiculous garbage people think of. On upper ladder, people generally use good things, where Ditto can shine. It's not great vs. other stall teams, except to provide limitless PP as long as something else is alive. Vs. Baton Pass or offensive teams, he's simply amazing when used properly.

Some low ladder screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/broccoli7314/silly/blissey_zps83d38cf1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/broccoli7314/silly/miltank_zps8696d3b9.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/broccoli7314/silly/ninjask_zpse522bc82.gif

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 144 SAtk / 80 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Perish Song
- Infestation
- Shadow Ball

This cuddly little guy gives a bit of offensive presence. He can also be used for revenge killing slower threats, phasing things that are otherwise unbeatable by the team (such as Suicune), and more.

EV's are to maximize speed and prevent defensive Mega Venusaur from breaking his subs. This set naturally lures Chansey, under the threat of wrecking something with a Shadow Ball. If the opponent gives you one free turn with whatever they switch into you, such as using a healing move or setting rocks, it dies. It also can be used to eliminate passive setup sweepers like Suicune and Clefable, since many will try to set up on you under the threat of Shadow Ball or a coverage option.

Be careful, though. Gengar is VERY frail outside of his resistances/immunities, and speed ties a lot of relevant threats such as Latios. As a result, is not switching in as freely as any of the walls, and usually comes in as a revenge or after a Uturn.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

Through testing on the original version of this team, I needed something capable of switching into more special attackers. Specifically, needed an additional check/counter to Charizard Y, Keldeo, and most water or fire types to lessen the pressure on Sylveon to deal with. While he is completely incapable of dealing with the Rotoms (lol 4x electric weakness), he walls the most common coverage moves on Water types and Fire types (Ice and Grass, and as of lately Psychic and Flying due to Venusaur's popularity). He can also handle Lando-I FAR better than any other defensive Pokemon, due to his immunity to ground, fighting resistance, and neutrality to common coverage. Intimidate is extremely handy for switching into physical attackers, and makes him very bulky on both sides. This set maximizes special bulk, with 8 speed Ev to reach 200 speed (Outspeeds neutral max speed base 50 and uninvested base 80).

Having an additional taunter comes in handy a lot of the time. Waterfall is a solid Stab move, for those times when you just need to kill something. As for the other 2 moves, I'm unsure at the moment which is the best option out of each category. Thunder Wave stops many sweepers cold and allows for a nice paraflinch effect along with Waterfall. Toxic is an additional option that would work well on my team, because several things are easily toxic stalled by my teammates. Dragon Tail phases, is untauntable, and does decent damage; but Fairies are immune and it isn't 100% accurate. Roar is more accurate and can affect Fairies, but can be taunted and doesn't damage.

~~~

Common Stall Threats: (more will be updated later)

1. The biggest threat so far to this team is in misplays. Like any other stall, misplays prove to be very costly. Ditto can alleviate some of the pressure from misplays due to being a mostly reliable revenge killer, though. But any misplay that results in his premature death (such as copying a Ghost or Psychic type and being Pursuit trapped) is usually extremely costly.

2. Baton pass chains: Pray your opponent is dumb. Ditto can alleviate some of the pressure vs. more skilled opponents, since it can copy boosts and pass them to a teammate or use Stored Power if copying Espeon. Taunt and Perish Song keep opponents on their toes, however are not a failproof method of beating these teams. This team has a MUCH higher chance of beating BP than any stall I've ever seen (I'm pretty close to 100% vs them), and is probably the most infuriating type of team that they could come across.

3. Lando-I: Handled nicely by Gyarados, assuming good health. Natural immunity/resistance to his most threatening moves, and neutral or resists almost every coverage move I've seen on one means that they're 4hko'ing. Gyarados also easily 2hko's Lando-I. Beware of Physical variants on sand teams. Extremely rare though. If Gyarados is dead, Lando is very difficult to get rid of.

-1 0- Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 55-65 (13.9 - 16.5%) -- possible 7HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 73-86 (18.5 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 57-68 (14.5 - 17.3%) -- possible 6HKO

-1 4 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 182-216 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO <-- rare, but viable coverage move.

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados in Sand: 291-343 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <-- still lives, and is a very rare set, but :'(

4. Most wallbreakers are checked by Ditto. Some are actually walled or checked by other members of the team. Some Hyper Offense teams are difficult to play against due to carrying several wallbreakers.

5. Passive setup sweepers: These include Suicune, Clefable, CM Manaphy + Reuniclus variants. Make sure all taunters/phasers are kept healthy. Gengar eliminates most of them, if they give him one free turn (such as by using a healing move or boosting).

6. Stallbreaker Mew, and similar sets: If Gliscor's toxic has activated already, he can take on most of these sets. If not, you might have to temporarily sac something to a burn to get in something that can kill or taunt it. Annoying, and tends to drag matches out, but not too difficult to play around.

7. Trappers: Very difficult for any defensive team to play around in the hands of a skilled player. If played right, Scizor should always be Uturning from Magnezone on predicted switches in, and other trappers baited out for Scizor to Uturn out of. Goth is frail and goes down in about 2 Uturns (one from Scizor after rocks). Pursuit is a special case. Be VERY careful with Ditto if your opponent has a pursuit trapper on their team, since copying a Psychic or Ghost usually equals a dead Ditto. Gengar's sub also helps him escape a Pursuit if used right, but against several teams ends up being Pursuit bait.

~~~

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Transform

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 32 HP / 144 SAtk / 80 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Perish Song
- Infestation
- Shadow Ball

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Transform

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Perish Song
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 56 Spd / 200 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- U-turn

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- U-turn

Due to popular request, I've provided a couple replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124361309 <-- "you are still trash"

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124329533 <-- "u got so lucky man im not saying gg"

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124280084 <-- Hydro Pump, now with 20% accuracy (kinda felt bad but w/e)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124293694 <-- Ditto putting in work

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124458347 <-- The importance of Taunt

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124714139 <-- crit mattered (not)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126827425 <-- Baton Pass (must see)

Last edited:
I like this, you took a bit of an aging model of mine and got it to work really well. I reworked mine a bit recently mainly to see what I'd come up with compared to you, but I only made like one or two changes. One of the conclusions I made was the incredible quickness of some setup sweepers had to be solved (aka BD azum). I eventually used Clefable, and then my own revenge killer in Sash Dugtrio.

While in all technicalities it falls towards semi-stall, the 4 man's cores only obvious weaknesses are CharizardXY and Lando... When considering U-turn momentum grabbing. You've explained lando and ZardX with scarf will kill itself (ditto will work). CharizardY may be an issue since it can't exactly kill itself... Well, it does good damage but roost sets exist.

The only thing that worries me is the lack of abilities that help sylveon/gengar change out with a bit more ease. Obviously they don't have better options, but that's still there. Sylveon is a non-issue from my own original structure (given that the cleric itself was more important than the ability) but stuff like Alomomola, Celebi and a few others might work. Then again, the pressure there is simply from Sylveon's offensive presence, which Sylveon is the only cleric to provide that.

Overall the team looks solid. If anything, Scizor shouldn't be outspeeding Azumarill. You want to outspeed the threats you need to get out on. That way, if you pick to turn on a threat that you counter and they stay in, your counter takes the hit, not the switch.

I like the team a lot, Emmy! I bnnnnnnnnnnn! For real, nice job.

Personally I think HP Ice is better for Ditto, but that's a personal choice I guess.

I also think Gliscor should be Physically Defensive, but again, maybe that's just what I'm used to.

I think Ditto is really the shining star of your team. So kudos for that, my friend.

And of course, you had to have a Bug, which I think really helps your team out a lot.

Great job overall, Emmy. It was really hard for me to critique this team.

Hey Emmy, I finally got around to rating this haha. :P

All in all, the team looks like a lot of fun and well thought out. Unfortunately, I don't really have any thing particularly substantial to contribute unfortunately. You know the team best and my suggestions will probably just make you weaker to something I haven't taken into account. If there's one thing I'd change, it'd be the amount of u-turn on the team. Perhaps you could try a bulky sd set for scizor over the 3atk+roost set or knock off over u-turn on mandibuzz?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the team's been working well for you. You definitely deserve it Emmy :)

Hey Emmy :) Tbh your team has some pretty serious defensive holes, and while you manage to patch over most of them with Ditto, you're still very reliant on good prediction and best case scenarios to avoid getting swept.

The absolute first thing to notice when looking at this team is that it has no Water or Fire resistances. This is huge. First of all, the reasonably common HO Rain teams will always beat you. Then, Specs Keldeo just needs a tiny amount of residual damage on Sylveon and it can spam Hydro Pump for a guaranteed KO every time it comes in. Azumarill can just spam Waterfall, 2HKOing everything while SR is down. The likes of Manaphy, Charizard-X and Gyarados will 6-0 you if Ditto falls, or if they carry an Unaware mon. Char-Y can come in pretty easily, OHKO half your team, and 2HKO the other half. Basically every other Fire type, from Heatran to Entei, is also a massive threat.

In terms of other threats, you also have no Flying resist, so M-Pinsir and Talonflame can just spam their Flying STAB. You might be able to hold up for a while with Mandibuzz, given that neither can risk boosting, but eventually it'll die.

There are a couple of different kinds of fixes you could consider. The simplest I can think of is Jellicent > Gengar, which handles most of your Water threats, checks the majority of Fire types, and still fills the same stallbreaking role as Gengar. However, Char-Y and Flying types are still big problems.

A more far reaching change would be Rhyperior > Gliscor, Heatran > Ditto, and Jellicent / Ferrothorn / M-Venu over Gengar. Rhyperior is a much better stop to most threats than Gliscor, and significantly, is a hard counter to Charizard-X, Talonflame, and M-Pinsir. Heatran > Ditto fixes your Fire weakness completely, provides you with Fire STAB and a bunch of other utility, whereas the last spot as before covers the Water weakness. Ferrothorn is probably the best choice, but you'll mantain a slight Keldeo weakness, so the other options are still worth consideration. The loss of Ditto seems dangerous at first, but with those changes, essentially all the relevant boosting sweepers are covered comfortably (without having to potentially sacrifice to get Ditto in safely). (Btw using M-Venusaur in the last spot gives the best threat coverage, handling NP Thund and BD Azu, but requires replacing M-Scizor and has less utility than Ferro or Jelli).

Hope that helps :)

Main reason I have Scizor outspeeding Azumarill is because if I can beat Belly Drum variants without any casualties or relying on Ditto, it's far better overall than letting the team get mauled by it. Also, that speed tier is perfect for its role. Outspeeds defensive Venusaur and Heatran variants (allowing a Uturn as opposed to a regular switch, or a knock off when Heatran is low enough on health for the kill), outspeeds many Magnezone spreads (allowing a Uturn instead of just dying if they didn't max its speed), while outslowing a majority of the offensive metagame for the slow Uturn to maintain momentum.

Knock off over Uturn on Mandibuzz is crap when I have a much better knock off user already on the team. If I wanted to change that move, it would probably be with Taunt. However Uturn is what helps the team evade trappers, and gain momentum to reduce the number of times I must respond to something defensively as opposed to preventing them from acting and forcing their switch.

Ditto is a MUST because, in the context of a real match, there's far too much that is literally unwallable. If something is only walled by one pokemon, that is easily taken out by a common trapper or a surprise move on something, or even just from as you said people spamming attacks until that wall is broken, it is in effect unwallable. Heatran, in practice is very difficult to use defensively because it lacks reliable healing and ground moves on random things is too common.

A lot of your changes in general change the entire concept of the team from uturn/momentum stall to a more generic stall. While generic stall teams can be used effectively, surprise attacks, trappers, and unwallable pokemon are FAR too common for me to be effective with them. Which is why I was improving upon this concept. This team concept partially bypasses all 3 of those problems, though still isn't perfect.

What set would you recommend for Jellicent? I changed the Gengar slightly recently (adding perish song + dbond over will o miss + pain split), mostly because Pursuit, Baton Pass, and things like Suicune (passive setup sweepers that wall their own attacks) are a real issue for the team. I know Jelli can wall out Suicune, but isn't failproof against it because of Pressure.

A lot of your changes in general change the entire concept of the team from uturn/momentum stall to a more generic stall. While generic stall teams can be used effectively, surprise attacks, trappers, and unwallable pokemon are FAR too common for me to be effective with them. Which is why I was improving upon this concept. This team concept partially bypasses all 3 of those problems, though still isn't perfect.
There really isn't a line between "momentum stall" and bulky offense, but anyway - the purpose of this style of team is to maintain offensive pressure, while having reliable checks/counters to offensive threats. The problem with this team is that it doesn't have reliable answers to many of the most common threats in the metagame, meaning that if you face teams with one or more of those threats, you're just using an inferior offensive team.

Ditto is a MUST because, in the context of a real match, there's far too much that is literally unwallable. If something is only walled by one pokemon, that is easily taken out by a common trapper or a surprise move on something, or even just from as you said people spamming attacks until that wall is broken, it is in effect unwallable.
By your own logic, you don't like relying on one thing to counter a certain threat. But then you use Ditto as your only way of not being swept by a huge number of threats. You're massively overestimating the difficulty in walling common threats in this metagame. Sure, you can use a revenge killer, and you can have a strong offensive strategy within a stall team, but leaving yourself with these gaping holes in your threat coverage is just shooting yourself in the foot. Having them will make you lose much more regularly to straight offensive strategies, and in compensation, you're just giving yourself a possible advantage against the relatively rare trappers and dedicated stallbreaking threats. Overall, your team loses a lot of effectiveness.

If you'd like to test Jellicent, then I'd just run Scald / Will-o-wisp / Recover / Taunt, with 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef Calm, since most of the relevant threats are specially based.

Trappers and ridiculous setup sweepers that Quag fails to wall aren't all that uncommon. The difficulty in walling things in this metagame IS much greater than before. I see trappers on upper ladder (1800's or so) about once every 10 matches. And effectively unwallable setup sweepers are at least 3/4 of matches (pretty much, at least one in every team that isn't stall).

I tried Zapdos and Rotom W + H on previous versions of this team, since they had Flying resistances, recovery, and volt switch. Oh wait, Pinsir 2hko's all of them anyway after a boost... How would Pinsir get a boost? It's simple, just boost on something that can't do anything to it, which is simple enough to accomplish in the context of a real match. Skarm is one of the few things that actually can wall that thing to any extent, but I've been seeing far more Pinsir + Mag/Goth teams, or "flyspam" which'll just break it down anyway.

The team does need something vs. rain teams, offensive water/flying types (that isn't just sending in Mandi/Sylveon until they get bored), and a few passive setup pokemon. Rain teams are rare as fuck (maybe came across one, ever, and not even with this team). Not sure exactly how to patch up those holes without using something that will reduce the team's ability to maintain its own momentum/prevent the opponent's.

There really isn't a line between "momentum stall" and bulky offense, but anyway - the purpose of this style of team is to maintain offensive pressure, while having reliable checks/counters to offensive threats. The problem with this team is that it doesn't have reliable answers to many of the most common threats in the metagame, meaning that if you face teams with one or more of those threats, you're just using an inferior offensive team.

By your own logic, you don't like relying on one thing to counter a certain threat. But then you use Ditto as your only way of not being swept by a huge number of threats. You're massively overestimating the difficulty in walling common threats in this metagame. Sure, you can use a revenge killer, and you can have a strong offensive strategy within a stall team, but leaving yourself with these gaping holes in your threat coverage is just shooting yourself in the foot. Having them will make you lose much more regularly to straight offensive strategies, and in compensation, you're just giving yourself a possible advantage against the relatively rare trappers and dedicated stallbreaking threats. Overall, your team loses a lot of effectiveness.

If you'd like to test Jellicent, then I'd just run Scald / Will-o-wisp / Recover / Taunt, with 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef Calm, since most of the relevant threats are specially based.
Mate, her team is fine. She is at 1800 on a random alt.. I would say that's semi successful... everyone has their own play style. Cool help... but I think this team is gucci as possible. :]

Trappers and ridiculous setup sweepers that Quag fails to wall aren't all that uncommon. The difficulty in walling things in this metagame IS much greater than before. I see trappers on upper ladder (1800's or so) about once every 10 matches. And effectively unwallable setup sweepers are at least 3/4 of matches (pretty much, at least one in every team that isn't stall).

I tried Zapdos and Rotom W + H on previous versions of this team, since they had Flying resistances, recovery, and volt switch. Oh wait, Pinsir 2hko's all of them anyway after a boost... How would Pinsir get a boost? It's simple, just boost on something that can't do anything to it, which is simple enough to accomplish in the context of a real match. Skarm is one of the few things that actually can wall that thing to any extent, but I've been seeing far more Pinsir + Mag/Goth teams, or "flyspam" which'll just break it down anyway.

The team does need something vs. rain teams, offensive water/flying types (that isn't just sending in Mandi/Sylveon until they get bored), and a few passive setup pokemon. Rain teams are rare as fuck (maybe came across one, ever, and not even with this team). Not sure exactly how to patch up those holes without using something that will reduce the team's ability to maintain its own momentum/prevent the opponent's.
What I don't understand is why, if you've decided that you can't reliably handle offensive threats, you're running a defensive team at all? Your team still does a worse job at maintaining momentum than any standard bulky offense build, but at the same time, you have worse threat coverage. Perhaps some replays would change my mind, but I honestly feel like this team's weaknesses should be easily exploitable.

Team has been updated. Room for a Water type needed to be made, and Spdef Gyarados checks most of the problems I've been having with the original version.

Hah, I played your team earlier tonight and you WRECKED me. It was my only loss in about 10 matches so well done. I need to find some medicine for that Sylveon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)