VGC ◕‿◕

volcarona is weak to rock slide, yanmega is weak to rock slide, blizzard, and discharge. yanmega has no strong spread attack. really just the lack of weaknesses my team needed
You also forgot to mention that Volcarona is viable as a Quiver Dance sweeper if you choose to make that change and can learn Rage Powder, so he's a bit less predictable than Yanmega who is way too dependent on Speed Boost for his sweeping potential.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You also forgot to mention that Volcarona is viable as a Quiver Dance sweeper if you choose to make that change and can learn Rage Powder, so he's a bit less predictable than Yanmega who is way too dependent on Speed Boost for his sweeping potential.
that is not why i chose volcarona o.O

Setting up is bad in VGC. People who set up with pokemon other than Resto-Chesto Cresselia are bad. It isn't worth it because even with support, because you it fails the instant there is flinch or parahax.

I tested the team on PO and I found a couple of things that might help the team.

1) I gave Cresselia protect instead of ice beam. It allowed me to live longer and got me through a couple of tight spots. Although ice beam was helpful, I always prefer a spot for protect.

2) I gave Garchomp dragon gem instead of yache berry. I prefer dragon gem because it was more useful. Yache berry could only keep garchomp alive half the time and isn't used every game. With dragon gem, I can use it every game and it gave me the extra damage to get more KO's in.

3) I gave Volcarona fire gem instead of focus sash. With all the weather users around, volcarona was going to sufer residual damage before focus sash could be used. The main rock slide users were garchomp and tyranitar, garchomp usually being paired with tyranitar. Volcarona has a solid bulk so besides rock slide, not many things are capable of KOing it in one move.

4) I replaced tentacruel with two pokemon, ludicolo or toxicroak which were both good. I know ludicolo didn't work for you, but I prefered it over tentacruel because of leech seed which gives it an adavantage in hp recovery. Toxicroak essentially resists most rain teams by itself. With drain punch or posion jab, it is a great counter to abomasnow. (I prefer drain punch for the hp.) Ludicolo only has ice beam against toxicroak which hits it with neutral damage. It has access to fake out which was useful for volcarona to set up.

5) I gave Volcarona quiver Dance instead of hidden power. With two fake out users, it could set up very easily when with them on the first turn. I barely used hidden power and garchomp resists Volcarona's chandelure weakness well.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tested the team on PO and I found a couple of things that might help the team.

1) I gave Cresselia protect instead of ice beam. It allowed me to live longer and got me through a couple of tight spots. Although ice beam was helpful, I always prefer a spot for protect.

2) I gave Garchomp dragon gem instead of yache berry. I prefer dragon gem because it was more useful. Yache berry could only keep garchomp alive half the time and isn't used every game. With dragon gem, I can use it every game and it gave me the extra damage to get more KO's in.
these two changes go together kindof. i prefer to keep ice beam on cresselia for speed ties (garchomp v garchomp). ice beam is also one of the ways this teams deals with tornadus. dragon gem is useful, but i would rather be safe against mamoswine for a turn.

3) I gave Volcarona fire gem instead of focus sash. With all the weather users around, volcarona was going to sufer residual damage before focus sash could be used. The main rock slide users were garchomp and tyranitar, garchomp usually being paired with tyranitar. Volcarona has a solid bulk so besides rock slide, not many things are capable of KOing it in one move.
i agree that volcarona is usually not ohkoed by any other attack than rock slide, but sash is used because of stuff like dragon gem latios and tornadus, which would otherwise be giant problems
4) I replaced tentacruel with two pokemon, ludicolo or toxicroak which were both good. I know ludicolo didn't work for you, but I prefered it over tentacruel because of leech seed which gives it an adavantage in hp recovery. Toxicroak essentially resists most rain teams by itself. With drain punch or posion jab, it is a great counter to abomasnow. (I prefer drain punch for the hp.) Ludicolo only has ice beam against toxicroak which hits it with neutral damage. It has access to fake out which was useful for volcarona to set up.
ludicolo doesnt beat abomasnow alone. toxicroak was a decent alternative, but had no way of changing the pace of the game like hail tentacruel did. also sucker punch is tailwind bait for things like tornadus / latios :c neither ludicolo nor toxicroak can do anything against sun teams.
5) I gave Volcarona quiver Dance instead of hidden power. With two fake out users, it could set up very easily when with them on the first turn. I barely used hidden power and garchomp resists Volcarona's chandelure weakness well.
this is a great suggestion. i think i experimented with volcarona the least on this team, and i just didnt want to get caught by a chople heatran with earth power xD i will probably switch this in the future.

thank you for the in depth rate :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)