ORAS OU ☆☆☆Super Bird: Mega Pidgeot's Hurricane Season Elo1500+, GXE74%☆☆☆

Team building:

Mega Pidgeot and Bisharp form a excellent core that works fantastically well under spikes support. This core thrives in wearing down each others walls and counters. Assault Vest Bisharp has the niche of checking and trapping the likes of Gengar, as well as the Lati-Twins for its team-mates.

My offensive core in Mega Pidgeot and Bisharp was incredibly weak to Fighting and Ice Type moves, so I added three bulky Pokemon that function well as a defensive core. Clefable also acts as a pivot.

Since I was running Mega Pidgeot we needed a reliable form of Hazard Removal, and that's where Latios comes in. Latios additionally does a great job of taking on electric type attacks aimed at Mega Pidgeot. What's also interesting to note is that Ferrothorn, Garchomp and Latios are great answers to weather-based teams i.e. Ferrothorn handles rain teams, Garchomp handles sand teams, and latios handles sun teams.​

Overview Of Mega Pidgeot:

Look, up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s… no, wait. I was right the first time, it is a bird. But what a majestic bird it is! Thanks to getting a Mega Evolution, Pidgeot finally became able to soar through the skies without fear of getting its wings clipped by anything and everything. Getting a fantastic new speed tier is nice enough as it is, but Mega Pidgeot completely reinvents Pidgeot; no longer does it have to worry about competing with the myriad of physical flying types that have outclassed it for generations, as its Mega Evolution went ahead and pumped up its special attack to great levels, and gave it No Guard so that it can throw out perfectly accurate Hurricanes with reckless abandon. However, it’s not all good news for Mega Pidgeot. Although its Mega Evolution ramped up its special attack stat, it did nothing for its special movepool, making it woefully shallow and predictable. Many of the problems that the standard form have are still present in the Mega Evolution as well, such as as Stealth Rock weakness and below average bulk. It’s also got the never-ending competition for the single Mega Evolution slot on a team, so in formats where more Mega Evolutions are usable, it often finds itself edged out by more potent Mega Evolutions. Still though, for what it’s got, Mega Pidgeot certainly manages to carve a niche for itself. And considering how weak standard Pidgeot is, having a solid niche is a welcome improvement!​

Team members:​

Windwaker (Pidgeot) (M) @ Pidgeotite

Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Hurricane

Roost

Refresh

Work Up

Hurricane has a 30% chance to confuse foes, allowing Mega Pidgeot to beat foes such as Jirachi through luck after a few boosts. Roost allows Mega Pidgeot to consistently set up on the likes of Chansey, which can only hit Mega Pidgeot with Seismic Toss and status moves. Refresh allows Mega Pidgeot to heal off status ailments that can be potentially crippling for it so that it can set up on the likes of Quagsire. Work Up boosts Pidgeot's damage output, letting it beat common Pokemon on stall teams, such as Chansey and Skarmory lacking Whirlwind, while also KOing Quagsire and Amoonguss with ease.

Checkmate (Bisharp) (M) @ Lum Berry

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
Knock Off

Iron Head

Sucker Punch

Swords Dance

Knock Off is Bisharp's main STAB move, as it hits incredibly hard and has utility in removing items from opposing Pokemon. Iron Head is Bisharp's secondary STAB move and is used to hit opposing Fairy- and Rock-types such as Clefable and Tyranitar super effectively. Sucker Punch is Bisharp's much-needed priority move, as it allows Bisharp to hit faster Pokemon before they can move. Pursuit is used in the last slot to trap Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, and Gengar. Assault Vest improves Bisharp's special bulk significantly. For example, it's no longer KO'd by Mega Diancie's Earth Power, which allows it to KO it with a surprise Iron Head.

Robocrop (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Shed Shell / Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
Spikes

Leech Seed

Thunder Wave

Power Whip

I chose Spikes over Stealth Rocks because Garchomp already provides the Stealth Rocks. Spikes lets Ferrothorn heavily pressure defensively oriented teams, which it can't do when running Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn can to take on most common hazard removers, plus it's also one of the best defensive Spikes setters. Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn a way of recovering health and is a must on every Ferrothorn set, as it lacks reliable recovery. The damage Leech Seed does is also useful for chipping away at the opponent's health. Thunder Wave is used to cripple common switch-ins such as Charizard Y and Heatran etc. Power Whip is generally preferred in the last slot so that Ferrothorn can deal with Substitute Mega Gyarados and hit Azumarill, Keldeo, Excadrill, and Hippowdon hard; it can even be run over Gyro Ball if Protect or Thunder Wave is desirable.

Sharkskin (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock

Earthquake

Dragon Tail
or
Rock Slide

Fire Blast

Stealth Rock damages foes every time they switch in. Earthquake is Garchomp's main STAB move because it gets good neutral coverage and hits decently hard. Dragon Tail dispel foes away and racks up entry hazard damage. Rock Slide is used to KO Fire and Flying type Pokemon that try to take advantage of defensive Garchomp (especially SD Talonflame). Fire Blast roasts the Steel-types that take little from Earthquake, such as Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.

Jetstream (Latios) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
Draco Meteor

Psyshock

Earthquake

Defog

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest move, dealing great damage to Pokemon that don't resist it such as Thundurus and Slowbro. Psyshock allows Latios to threaten special walls such as Chansey and Assault Vest users such as Raikou, Tornadus-T, and Conkeldurr by hitting their weaker Defense stat. Hidden Power Fire deals with some Steel-types such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, but it comes at the cost of lowering Latios's Speed IV by one point, leaving it outsped by base 110s such as Gengar and Latias. Defog provides invaluable support to teammates so that their health is not chipped away by entry hazards.

Fairytale (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
Calm Mind

Moonblast

Soft-Boiled

Thunder Wave

Calm Mind boosts Clefable’s Special Attack and Special Defense stat, making it both powerful and bulky. Moonblast is Clefable's obligatory STAB move and hits extremely hard after just a few Calm Mind boosts. Soft-Boiled gives Clefable much-needed longevity on the field, enabling it to check threats with much more ease. Thunder Wave is a great utility move in general that can cripple many of Clefable's checks, including Heatran, Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, and Mega Metagross.

Threat List (minor issues):

SD Talonflame and DD Charizard X are major threats to the team as non of my team members can afford to allow either of them to set up. Whilst Talonflame can be somewhat handled by Garchomp (especially if it runs Rock Slide), a +1 Charizard X spells disaster to the entire team. Thankfully Charizard X has very little room to set up freely, and both of those Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rocks.

Substitute Gengar is an additional threat to the team due its ability to quickly set up Substitutes. As long as it hides behind a substitute it can potentially sweep my entire team via Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave and Focus Blast. Thankfully Bisharp and Ferrothorn can remove its Substitute through Sucker Punch, Power Whip or Gyro Ball. Latios speed ties with Gengar and Mega Pidgeot can revenge kill it via Hurricane.

Specially Defensive Skarmory gets a special mention due to just how annoying it can be. With the move Whirlwind, Stealth Rocks, Iron Head and Roost, Skarmory really irritates my entire team. Garchomp's Fire Blast fails to 2HKO it, and when used by a skilled trainer who spams whirlwind at the right moment, it easily becomes a nightmare for my team. So whilst not a proper threat, it's certainly irritating to go up against.

Conclusion:
Stall breaker Mega Pidgeot is an incredibly fun Pokemon to use and its niche in Stall breaking is incredibly useful for breaking down bulky Pokemon. The team is over all very solid; it has a trapper, a hazard setter, a Stall breaker, hazard removal and even counters to all the weathers out there.

Optional Changes:
over

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Iron Head / Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind

Skarmory and Landorus-T form a great defensive core. The change from Ferrothorn to Skarmory will leave the team valuable to rain teams, but at the same it provides the team with a means to better handle Ground types and deal with Mega Diancie.

over

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
Earthquake
U-turn
Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Stealth Rock

Landorus-T and Skarmory form a great defensive core. The change from Landorus-T into Garchomp leaves the team vulnerable to Bulky SD Mega Scizor, however this change allows gives the team a reliable means to check Excadrill and Bird Spam.

Thunderbolt
or HP Fire over Earthquake
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Since you'll already be running Skarmoy and Landorus-T, Latios doesn't need an additional Ground move. Instead it's best to invest into reliable means for tackling bulky water type Pokemon, and that's where Thunder Bolt comes in.

Importable Team:

Pidgeot (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Refresh
- Work Up

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

The Team In Action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-372992131
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-372987658

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
mega pidgeot | bisharp | ferrothorn | garchomp | clefable

yo really nice team here, grats on the peak so far. there aren't any glaring issues with your team, it's pretty solid and you've got pretty much standard sets so there isn't much to say about those as well. bisharp is a nice wincon for your team that can clean late-game with clef, chomp and ferro supporting it so that's where i'm gonna start.

• my first suggestion is that you try earthquake over psyshock on Latios; this allows you to hit fire-types such as heatran, as bisharp dislikes them, and really appreciates having them gone. whilst you do lose out on the ability to hit pokemon like calm mind clef and suicune, your other pokemon are more than capable of taking care of them both, and the main idea of your team seems to be supporting your offensive core of pidgeot and bisharp, so eliminating these fire-types helps bisharp safely sweep.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog
  • my next suggestion is to use lum berry swords dance bisharp over assault vest. with the fire-types bisharp struggles with taken care of, bisharp can now set up on pokemon that can't do much to it; lum berry also helps it use swords dance on will-o-wisp's and scald burns, giving it an easier team sweeping. assault vest bisharp lacks the speed which means it can be ohkoed easily by physical attackers, since assault vest only boosts special defense; therefore, running the swords dance set allows bisharp to run max Speed investment and it will be able to effectively clean late-game once your teammates have dented some of the walls it struggles with.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
good luck with the team, hope i helped :]

Huh. I look at your team and think "Pidgeot is kind of pointless"... I feel like its there for the sake of being there and can easily be replaced by tornadus. The roles may be a bit different, but it does pretty much the same thing. The one time I saw it in the battles (which I assume are some of your best), you only put it in and switched it out immediantely. Tornadus beats everything pidgeot beats, as well as potential threats such as gengar. With mega pidgeot gone, that leaves the option of a mega pokemon... I suggest you use mega latias. Now there are a few problems (or what appear to be problems). For one, you loose hazard control, which to be honest isn't the biggest problem! Your team isn't stealth rock weak, and with your bird pokemon being tornadus regenerator kind of makes stealth rocks useless against you. Running thunderbolt on it eliminates skarmory as a threat so your not losing much by changing it. Reflect type also makes it threataning to switch into. What you could also do is run it with calm mind + stored power for easy set-up. The reason I say that is because I recommend running unnaware clefable over calm mind + magic gaurd so you have a better matchup against charizard-x and talonflame (which seem to be the biggest threats). Anyways, i'm not putting an importable version since it's really just a compilation of suggestions but you do what you want to do.

mega pidgeot | bisharp | ferrothorn | garchomp | clefable

yo really nice team here, grats on the peak so far. there aren't any glaring issues with your team, it's pretty solid and you've got pretty much standard sets so there isn't much to say about those as well. bisharp is a nice wincon for your team that can clean late-game with clef, chomp and ferro supporting it so that's where i'm gonna start.

• my first suggestion is that you try earthquake over psyshock on Latios; this allows you to hit fire-types such as heatran, as bisharp dislikes them, and really appreciates having them gone. whilst you do lose out on the ability to hit pokemon like calm mind clef and suicune, your other pokemon are more than capable of taking care of them both, and the main idea of your team seems to be supporting your offensive core of pidgeot and bisharp, so eliminating these fire-types helps bisharp safely sweep.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog
  • my next suggestion is to use lum berry swords dance bisharp over assault vest. with the fire-types bisharp struggles with taken care of, bisharp can now set up on pokemon that can't do much to it; lum berry also helps it use swords dance on will-o-wisp's and scald burns, giving it an easier team sweeping. assault vest bisharp lacks the speed which means it can be ohkoed easily by physical attackers, since assault vest only boosts special defense; therefore, running the swords dance set allows bisharp to run max Speed investment and it will be able to effectively clean late-game once your teammates have dented some of the walls it struggles with.
Bisharp @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
good luck with the team, hope i helped :]
Hello Sobi, thanks for the pleasant reply. I appreciate all your suggestions and I find them to be quite the remarkable improvements to my team. So thanks again, I'll update the team according to your changes first thing in the morning. TC my friend.

Last edited:
Hey! What about me!
Lol, have you seen this guys last RMT, the amount of salt this guy has is amazing.
Also, fast electrics look like a massive threat to this team, esp since latios is easily worn down and has no recovery. this is compounded by the fact that said electric types are commonly paired with a pursuiter such as scarfed ttar.

Sand offence also looks pretty threatening, since dril can 2HKO your whole team with a little bit of prior damage. I think running defensive lando over tankchomp can help patch up this weakness.

specially defensive talon with bulk up + taunt also looks to be a pain for you, esp if it's the itemless as it can absorb knockoffs from bisharp, meaning it can set up on half of your team comfortable, and latios and mega pidgeot dont enjoy switching in.

DD mega altaria + zone also looks pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:
Hey! What about me!
Hello intellectual potato, thank you for your input, much appreciated. You're suggestions were spot on and just as remarkable as Sobi's; however the only issue is [like you guessed already] "I love Mega Pidgeot!". Bird Jesus all the way am I right!? In any case, yes Tornadus is by far superior, but M-Pidgeot does looks wicked! That's a fair reason to use it right (lol)?

Oh and that reminds me, you mentioned earlier than Mega Pidgeot didn't do anything in the videos I linked previously. Well yes, Mega Pidgeot is a Stall Breaker; so I assumed it's best used to break stall teams apart. If the opponent isn't using stall then M-Pidgeot doesn't need to shows up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add any more videos, and that's due to the details of my private life and because ~just a second my good man, reading your text again...
Ah! Oh no, those videos weren't the "best", I completed the thread late at night, so I only had 2-3 games to play before going to bed (lol).

PS: Again, it's only used on Stall breaking teams. I'll add your Mega Latias suggestions at some point in the future (I'm also a fan of the Lati-twins so I'd love to build a team around them. And that's where you're suggestions helps me out the most). TC my good man and god bless.

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Huh. I look at your team and think "Pidgeot is kind of pointless"... I feel like its there for the sake of being there and can easily be replaced by tornadus. The roles may be a bit different, but it does pretty much the same thing. The one time I saw it in the battles (which I assume are some of your best), you only put it in and switched it out immediantely. Tornadus beats everything pidgeot beats, as well as potential threats such as gengar. With mega pidgeot gone, that leaves the option of a mega pokemon... I suggest you use mega latias. Now there are a few problems (or what appear to be problems). For one, you loose hazard control, which to be honest isn't the biggest problem! Your team isn't stealth rock weak, and with your bird pokemon being tornadus regenerator kind of makes stealth rocks useless against you. Running thunderbolt on it eliminates skarmory as a threat so your not losing much by changing it. Reflect type also makes it threataning to switch into. What you could also do is run it with calm mind + stored power for easy set-up. The reason I say that is because I recommend running unnaware clefable over calm mind + magic gaurd so you have a better matchup against charizard-x and talonflame (which seem to be the biggest threats). Anyways, i'm not putting an importable version since it's really just a compilation of suggestions but you do what you want to do.
I just wanna comment on this rate. I don't think removing Pidgeot is the right thing to do; reason being that this team is built around a Pidgeot-Mega and Bisharp core, and removing Pidgeot breaks the core and the team's synergy is hindered due to this.

Also, Light Yagami (Anime), your team seems slightly weak to Fire-types, since they can work their way through your offensive core. To remedy this problem, you can run Choice Scarf Keldeo over Clefable; Clefable doesn't really provide your team with anything notable, and Keldeo brings Speed control and power to the table. Alternatively, you can run Hidden Power Ground over Refresh on Pidgeot-Mega, but then stall becomes hard to handle. Latios can take care of these Fire-types but gets worn down by recoil.

bump
(testing out the bump feature, accidentally deleted my first bump, so I posted another bump immediately after, feel free to check the timing for evidence ~sorry won't happen again)

Last edited:
hi, so pretty standard build on a whole. not going to make huge changes that don't work for the greater good since this build is quite solid on a whole.

so the first thing i see is you have literally no check whatsoever to sand. that is a big no-no on all teamsd. garchomp doesn't really like taking Earthquakes from Excadrill since it's 2HKOed invalidating it as a check. ferrothorn collapses under the pressure of checking so many threats at once. so a very easy way to remedy this is to run specially defensive skarmory > ferrothorn. skarmory is pretty much the most reliable check to excadrill there is and it retains a lot of similar qualities such as ferrothron. mega charizard x is definetely an issue, but seeing as how it can't really setup freely and how hazards will more than likely stay up thanks to bisharp. it's also facing a lot of trouble in the metagame currently which eases the chances of facing one. if you do want to fix that, landorus-t > garchomp is plausible, but this team really appreciates a Rock resist in Garchomp. the only thing it can't do is really check rain, but seeing as how rain is a very very rare playstyle to face, you really shouldn't worry that much. as for the move on skarmory it's a toss up between iron head and brave bird. the former lets you actually beat mega diancie instead of being forced to stall it out, while the latter is generally nice to have especially with the popularity of mega heracross (who only mega pidgeot and latios can really beat)
Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roar

next, i don't like earthquake on latios. it's mainly for beating heatran (which this team would like) but skarmory is invited to come in and set spikes each and every time which little to no drawback. that's why i think you should run thunderbolt > earthquake. it helps with helping to break up bulky waters without relying on draco meteor and lures skarmory so it can't just use it for spike fodder. another option would be to forgo hazard removal completely and use recover > defog. you've got a pretty bad weakness overall to keldeo since nothing aside from latios can come in on it and mega pidgeot can revenge kill it. seeing as how nearly everything on your team isn't too bothered by hazards bar mega pidgeot, this would be a valuable option to look into.

finally dedicated stallbreaker mega pidgeot it a really subpar set in the current metagame and you'd benefit so much more from hidden power ground > refresh. hidden power ground gives you a nice option to hit nearly all flying resists for solid damage after work up. you also have clefable which breaks stall rather well, which only overlaps their similar roles. another option would be heat wave > roost to achieve much better neutral coverage at the expense of recovery, which it honestly doesn't really need on this build. it also helps out with the skarmory issue.

hope these changes help!

hi, so pretty standard build on a whole. not going to make huge changes that don't work for the greater good since this build is quite solid on a whole.

so the first thing i see is you have literally no check whatsoever to sand. that is a big no-no on all teamsd. garchomp doesn't really like taking Earthquakes from Excadrill since it's 2HKOed invalidating it as a check. ferrothorn collapses under the pressure of checking so many threats at once. so a very easy way to remedy this is to run specially defensive skarmory > ferrothorn. skarmory is pretty much the most reliable check to excadrill there is and it retains a lot of similar qualities such as ferrothron. mega charizard x is definetely an issue, but seeing as how it can't really setup freely and how hazards will more than likely stay up thanks to bisharp. it's also facing a lot of trouble in the metagame currently which eases the chances of facing one. if you do want to fix that, landorus-t > garchomp is plausible, but this team really appreciates a Rock resist in Garchomp. the only thing it can't do is really check rain, but seeing as how rain is a very very rare playstyle to face, you really shouldn't worry that much. as for the move on skarmory it's a toss up between iron head and brave bird. the former lets you actually beat mega diancie instead of being forced to stall it out, while the latter is generally nice to have especially with the popularity of mega heracross (who only mega pidgeot and latios can really beat)
Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roar

next, i don't like earthquake on latios. it's mainly for beating heatran (which this team would like) but skarmory is invited to come in and set spikes each and every time which little to no drawback. that's why i think you should run thunderbolt > earthquake. it helps with helping to break up bulky waters without relying on draco meteor and lures skarmory so it can't just use it for spike fodder. another option would be to forgo hazard removal completely and use recover > defog. you've got a pretty bad weakness overall to keldeo since nothing aside from latios can come in on it and mega pidgeot can revenge kill it. seeing as how nearly everything on your team isn't too bothered by hazards bar mega pidgeot, this would be a valuable option to look into.

finally dedicated stallbreaker mega pidgeot it a really subpar set in the current metagame and you'd benefit so much more from hidden power ground > refresh. hidden power ground gives you a nice option to hit nearly all flying resists for solid damage after work up. you also have clefable which breaks stall rather well, which only overlaps their similar roles. another option would be heat wave > roost to achieve much better neutral coverage at the expense of recovery, which it honestly doesn't really need on this build. it also helps out with the skarmory issue.

hope these changes help!
Thanks for the advice -Magic-. I've added your suggestions as optional changes to the team. Thanks for all your help man, much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)