Rapid Spinners​
Spinblockers​
Peak Rating​
6​
2​
3​
2​
1124​

and decided to share it with the world. this squad is giga aggressive, empowering the elegant battler who can handle it whilst a standard team with "breakers", "sweepers", and "mons faster than latios" fails to excite

:galvantula: :kleavor: :brambleghast: :excadrill: :blastoise: :polteageist:』​
:focus sash:

I went x-0 in this year's PSPL touching uu for the first time so i am hot off my wins, and in the finals of pools i brought this earlier version of the team and crushed. this version only has 4 focus sashes and is thus incapable of transcending the mortal plane

new version has ❻ sashes and adds 2 shell smash users

:galvantula:Galvantula
wine pairing: Zinfandel / Luccarelli / Negroamaro
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz

the backbone of the team is webs. there are no good webs mons and most webs teams have a dedicated suicide lead setter. this one doesn't:
  • you sometimes need webs to sweep, but you don't often need webs turn 1
  • there are 0 web users which match up favorably into tyranitar or excadrill
  • webs setters don't deny hazards or pressure hazard setters— number one goal of monosash team
instead, galvantula is a fast-ish mon with unique coverage which "happens" to set webs. it's hard to set up on because thunder paras, and its coverage exploits slowking/mandi/drapple builds

:kleavor:Kleavor
beer pairing: Asahi Super Dry
Kleavor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Axe
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- U-turn

the number one threat on team preview to focus sashes is sand, and on top of that galvantula gets owned by ttar. we need a secondary lead to patch up this weakness and provide rocks

stone axe is such a broken move im surprised more teams aren't using kleavor. their loss, since
  • setting rocks while doing STAB damage like is imbalanced
  • "ew two bugs on the same team" bug is a strangely good typing in the current meta, with most resists either being flying type and obliterated by stone axe or are weak to cc
  • tera steel helps into stuff like ogerpon and latios
this thing naturally beats the usual sand cores and is generally a great lead (it loses to hippowdon but i challenge you to find 1 hippo user)

:brambleghast:Brambleghast
juice pairing: Prickly pear / Lychee / Cucumber / Olive
Brambleghast @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Power Whip
- Shadow Sneak
- Rapid Spin

brambleghast is a unique mon in many respects
  • it's the only mon that can spin and spinblock
  • ghost stab makes it an excellent spinner with good matchups into enemy spinblockers
  • wind rider blanks a surprising number of mons like zapdos that would otherwise have a great matchup into the team
  • it's also the only priority user on the team and ghost tera gives it a bit more reach
outside of switching confidently into exca, bramble is completely awful and loves to let kommo/hydrei/mandi/lokix/booster icrown/any number of other mons in for free. it also loves to miss all its moves

love it though

:excadrill:Excadrill
soda pairing: HeySong Sarsaparilla / Mountain Dew Code Red
Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

i decided to add a uu mon to this uu team
  • when playing with 6 sashes, it is often worth it to sac a mon to keep hazards off, so having multiple spin mons is valuable
  • on the other hand, preserving sash on exca gives it extra sweep potential
  • tera ground provides important reach damage
this set is standard for a reason and everyone knows what it does. it benefits immensely from webs improving its speed tier versus grounded mons

the next two mons are shell smash sash mons and barely need explanation

:blastoise:Blastoise
water pairing: Fiji (accept no substitutions) / bathwater
Blastoise @ Focus Sash
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Water
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

at this point, am i slapping sash on mons that don't benefit from it? no and don't listen to the haters
  • i like the versatility of running spin and shell smash, making toise the world's first sweepport mon
  • blastoise actually does benefit from sash as it gives it a reliable-ish way to activate torrent and a safe click of the broken button
  • tera water/torrent let you break through would-be counters
even with all the support for preserving sash, it can still be hard to find an opportunity to set up. still, shell smash is busted enough that you can play for the endgame sweep in many situations

:polteageist:Polteageist
tea pairing: Earl grey / Lapsang souchong / 99¢ Arizona
Polteageist @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Tera Blast
- Protect / Stored Power

teapot
  • most uu teams have an answer to a teapot sweep in the form of a prio user, but webs puts a lot of pressure on priority mons to come in earlier in the game
  • in games where the opponent has multiple answers, teapot provides a secondary spinblocker
  • i like to run tera fairy and protect to beat lokix, which otherwise annoys the team, but without stored power you can't stallbreak with polt, so your choice
  • untera'd tera blast is surprisingly good coverage with shadow ball so bear in mind that polt doesn't require tera to be useful

『when jarred, unavoidably, by circumstances, revert at once to yourself, and don't lose the rhythm more than you can help 』
– marcus aurelius, meditations

there is a lot that can go wrong using this team. it is a slow, frail team with bottom of the barrel bst. hydro pump and stone axe can miss. you rely on sash mons not getting flinched or paralyzed. however, the skill expression possible with this team keeps me coming back

the natural flow of this team involves gambiting mons to keep hazards off and pave a path for sweepers. this allows for creative, risky play and big comebacks. this team also makes heavy use of STAB+tera for unexpected burst damage. keep your surprise weapons hidden, outposition, and outplay

:focus sash: :focus sash: :focus sash: :focus sash: :focus sash: :focus sash:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)