ORAS NU [08:35:17] tennis: no switch ins to zweilous [08:35:17] tennis: 0/10 team

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm bringing a team that I've only been using for a short time, cuz new drops happened and shit but the team is super fun and incredibly easy to use.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Focus Blast / Grass Knot
The main mon of this team because it's so fun to use and is just extremely good due to great speed tier, good special attack stat and has some amazing coverage for this tier. Hyper Voice and Volt Switch provide your main STABs whilst Surf, Focus Blast and Grass hit every Ground-type in the tier that try to prevent you from Volt Switching out and gaining momentum super hard and they're just great moves in general tbh.

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
Scarf Scyther gives you such great momentum as well as having great STABs for this tier. U-turn is mandatory because it's one of the best moves in the game. Aerial Ace and Bug Bite provide you with your Technician STABs which are good for late game cleaning up and finally we have Knock Off because it's Knock Off; removing items is nice and provides some nice neutral coverage:].

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 172 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
Because this team didn't have enough momentum as it is, next up we have Lanturn. Lanturn allows me to 'sorta' check opposing Heliolisk as well as opposing Volt Switches. Scald is another great move that you might as well just spam because burns are nice. Heal Bell removes the status as this team doesn't really appreciate status at all, more notably Toxic. Speaking of which, Toxic is my last move just so I can put a timer on really bulky mons or set-up sweepers. The speed EVs allows Lanturn to be 1 point slower than Malamar so you can Volt Switch out on it after it moves.

Mesprit @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt
- Healing Wish
Banded Mesprit provides a Fighting resist as well as even more momentum because you can never really have enough. Trick and Healing Wish provide me with some good support options that can cripple a mon or fully heal one of my own. Zen Headbutt is legit just used for STAB + flinch chance. The speed EVs are so I outspeed max speed Malamar; no one in their right mind should use that, but I ain't gonna be the nigga that gets bopped by that and lose their Mesprit.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
Bulky Archeops provides Defog support for the team as well being able to outspeed both Virizion and Heliolisk and OHKO them with Acro and Earthquake even with 0 investment and allows me to check Fire-types a bit better. I'm not even gonna explain U-turn on this mon because I don't think I need to tbh and obviously no item cuz knock off switch in + instant max acrobatics is nice.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
So where is all the momentum ending up? Right here in the form of Mega Camerupt. One of the main problems MegaRupt has is its ass base speed which gets outsped by everything in NU, so by VolTurning you get safely bring it in on stuff and start firing off extremely powerful hits. Stealth Rock is bcuz you needs rocks on any team so luckily this gets it. Will-O was to bop Thick Fat Hariyama and Mantine that to switch in on this and essentially crippling them. The speed investment was so I hit 142 in regular form so I can hit some of the speed creeping base 50s in this tier, so I just stuck the rest in HP and called it a day.

Any suggestions to improve the team would be greatly appreciated!!!

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/DdRvgmZA

P.S. VolTurn is such a gay playstyle oml

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hey QoL this team looks like a huge pain to play against once you get your chain going

I feel like you're really dependent on Scyther to check a lot of Pokemon, especially Fighting-types. This isn't that good considering SR wears both Archeops (your Defog user) and Scyther down very quickly and a well-played SR setter that beats Archeops like MegaLix and Seismitoad will not have problems wearing it down. Afterwards, you simply lack solid responses to the likes of Virizion, Hariyama, and Sawk. Normal-types also kinda run through your team after that because Archeops is your only resist and they can easily come in on one of your slower mons and crush something. Same boat for Ground-types especially Mega Steelix; half your team is weak to Ground and the other half has trouble dealing with bulky Ground-types.

I'm pretty terrible at rating so I'll leave the other raters to make a better fix but I think you should run Roost > Earthquake on Archeops. This allows your Archeops to continue to stay alive to Defog after multiple switches into SR, as well as keep checking Normal-types. Earthquake isn't as necessary imo because Acro already does a fair amount to Fire-types, you have a very safe switch-in to Heliolisk, as well as the fact that EQ is probably doing peanuts to MegaLix anyway.

My next suggestion is to run defensive Xatu > Mesprit. Xatu provides the team with at least a half-decent response to Ground-types and Fighting-types as well as deter Stealth Rock giving your Scyther a tad more room to check whatever it needs to. You lose a Healing Wish user and some offensive presence sadly but it's not like your team isn't offensive enough already

If you want you could try going with Torterra > Mega Camerupt so that you don't just lose to Ground-types that carry EdgeQuake. You don't lose much except for a very powerful Special Attacker because you already have very safe switch-ins to the likes of bulky poisons, Electric-types and Fire-types. I feel less strongly about this one because it can't replicate MegaRupt's power, but it would help defensively, I feel.

Of course the issue with the team isn't resolved fully; I still feel Scyther is forced to check many things and EdgeQuake Ground-types still have a good matchup if you don't run the Torterra I suggested, but at least it'll help a little. Also go with Grass Knot on Heliolisk imo you don't need more Ground-types to switch into you e_e

Hope I helped :)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
/
/
/
/
/

Team looks fun. On paper, not much outright beats it because you have Archeops, Heliolisk, and Scarf Scyther, which are all fast and can revenge kill most offensive threats in NU. However, the team relies heavily on keeping up offensive momentum and forcing your opponent to respond to you. If the opponent ever gets the upper hand, the entire team can falter, or at the very least, you'll likely lose one or two Pokemon trying to regain the advantage. Nothing wrong with that because this is an offensive VoltTurn team, but you want to minimize the opponent's opportunities to regain momentum.

The biggest cockblock is easily Mega Steelix, which can easily come in on Scyther, Mesprit, and Archeops, forcing you to U-turn pretty much every time you bring them out or risk giving a free turn for the opponent to set Stealth Rock or just start attacking since Steelix's dual STAB hits everything on your team barring Mesprit, which can't do anything to it. Camerupt is also forced out, as almost every good player runs more than the 32 Speed EVs it takes for Mega Steelix to outrun it. It wouldn't be such a big deal because you're constantly clicking U-turn, but nothing on your team kills Mega Steelix without dying in return, barring Lanturn if you get a Scald burn. So while you can technically beat it, Mega Steelix is currently a huge pain. You have some options to help handle it better, however. The best suggestion I'd have is to run something that can confidently OHKO Mega Steelix without easily losing momentum for your team. The obvious choice would be to run Specs Typhlosion over Mega Camerupt, which only really drops the ball against Hariyama and bulky Water-types such as SpDef Prinplup and Mantine, the latter of which give up a free switch to Heliolisk or Lanturn.

If you take this suggestion, you lose your Stealth Rock setter and have the potential to lose momentum against Hariyama. Playing well can handle the Hariyama issue, but you can still cover it if you'd like to by running Xatu over Mesprit, as scorp suggested. The Stealth Rock issue can be handled by changing Earthquake to Stealth Rock on Archeops or changing Trick to Stealth Rock on Mesprit. Stealth Rock on Mesprit is another way to lose momentum, but you rarely get the chance to set up Stealth Rock for free on this team regardless of which Pokemon uses it. Earthquake doesn't do much on Archeops anyways, so this change is probably your better option.

Otherwise, this team looks good. It is clearly thought-intensive, but when piloted by a good player, I can see this team doing really well. Nicely done.

Suggested Changes and Sets:
@ Choice Specs | Blaze
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Eruption / Fire Blast / Extrasensory / Hidden Power Grass

Archeops: Earthquake -> Stealth Rock

or
Mesprit: Trick -> Stealth Rock

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo Queeny, wasn't even 24 hours and you already posted a team with Heliolisk, god this thing looks like its so much fun to use.

Looking at your team I think the above 2 rates have 2 very important things that should be implemented. From Scorp's rate I think having Roost on Archeops is an absolute necessity because as soon as the opponent has hazards up its game over because this team relies so much upon switching. Second thing is from Holly's rate, Mega Camerupt was a huuuuggggeee momentum suck for your team, its slow speed and the fact that you don't have much to switch into Mega Lix was just made me wanna get rid of the camel and I think Typhlosion fits this teams offensive fast paced nature much better, I think you should then stick rocks onto Mesprit as banded Mesprit was a bit underwhelming compared to other band users and Archeops is already struggling to fit everything into its moveslots.

Now if you follow the above changes the one thing that still troubles your team is that it has no win condition vs stall. Right now the hardest hitting thing on your team is Typhlosion (or mega rupt if you keep that) and against a bulky well built stall team with something to stop Volt Switch I for see this team just crumbling to a halt. To combat this I think that running Bulky SD U-turn Scyther > Choice Scarf Scyther is the way to go on this, yes you'll be losing your scarfed Pokemon but in return you'll be gaining a ton of benefits; the ability to better check Fighting-types with a mon that has reliable recovery, still having U-turn to pivot out against Mega Lix, a win con vs Stall / bulky teams, as well as a bulky pivot to regain lost momentum against physical Pokemon. As right now if you make one slip against a physical mon you are most likely going to have to sack something or let it take massive damage because you have no good repeated switch-in for offensive Pokemon. I think bulky Scyther is the best way to fill the small hole that this team had as well as give you a bit more breathing room if you screw up.

Scyther @ Eviolite | Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe | Jolly Nature
Swords Dance | Roost | U-turn | Aerial Ace

Another option if you're really missing the speed is to run scarf Typhlosion, but ofc then you give up on the power of specs. Its all a trade off here to try to account for so many top tier threats.

Anyways, Hope this helped ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)