SV OU [#1 Ladder] (Peak: 2075) The Flag is Raised - The Goobening

Dog Barker

Banned deucer.

:meowscarada: :chien-pao: :garchomp: :Quaquaval: :Gholdengo: :dragonite:

Click on the sprites for the team
Proof of #1 Peak (2075 ELO):
Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 4.07.50 PM.png

The Teambuilding Process:
Hazards are busted this gen. I decided to use a two-lead system that incorporates Spikes + Taunt, SR + Rough Skin, and a spinblocker / defog blocker + 2 Terra ghosts. There's Chien Pao as the main breaker and potential cleaner along with Dragonite, and one defensive pivot Quaquaval; Gholdengo does a good job with its own bulk and defenses, too.

TheFlagIsRaised (Meowscarada) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Spikes

• Overgrow + Focus Sash makes Flower Trick super powerful in general, and is a welcomed nuke vs Great Tusk and Rotom; not making contact makes the lead Garchomp matchup better as well.
  • Versus a lead Chien Pao, it's a coinflip if Flower Trick OHKOes: 50% chance to OHKO; and that's praying you don't get flinched. I'd still go for it lol.
  • Overgrow also means you retain your STAB attacks, so a following Knock Off retains full power.
  • Don't use Taunt to prevent opposing hazards; you have spin in the back, and it's not that important anyways. Use Taunt to prevent recovery from say Toxapex and Defog from Corvinite.
  • Tera Ghost for the following:
    • 1.) Block Rapid Spin from anything, or;
    • 2.) Win the lead matchup versus Focus Sash Breloom.
  • Almost always lead Meow (unless chomp is better), and play agro with it; if you want to keep it, the best reasons are the following:
    • 1.) The fast taunt vs Cinderace, or;
    • 2.) Flower Trick to nail the limited––or nonexistent––Grass-resistant-foes.
Faust (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

• Draco Meteor + Fire Blast will nail pretty much everything that Earthquake can't.
  • You want max Special Attack to nuke physical walls like Great Tusk and Rotom-W.
  • Tera Ghost for spinblocking, but note that versus some foes like Great Tusk, the damage from Draco Meteor will cause it to KO itself from Rough Skin and prevent spin; if not, you more than likely will outright KO it with Draco Meteor; or you face Assault Vest.
  • Use Garchomp early and agro when their hazard removal / prevention loses to it. That would be the following: Great Tusk, Corvinite, Iron Treds, and Cinderace.
  • Versus Hatterene, you'll nail it with Earthquake damage, and the following Gholdengo is a safe bet.
  • Keep Garchomp for the late-game when it is necessary to revenge kill with its coverage; beating Paldean Taurus formes is a huge asset for Chien-Pao, as is nuking Rotom-W for Dragonite.
White Meadow (Chien-Pao) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Icicle Crash
- Sacred Sword
- Ice Shard

• Tangent: this mon is insanely broken and should have been banned a while ago.
  • Use it as the primary revenge killer AND wallbreaker.
  • Sacred Sword is its best coverage and will allow you to OHKO the mirror; not necessary with this team but still a good backup.
  • Ice Shard is better than Sucker Punch because you avoid the awful lock into no damage and you still OHKO Dragapult most of the time.
  • Use Tera Dark liberally; not only is the damage insane, but you'll take half damage from SR and as a result, you double your turns on the field and rely less on spin.
  • If you already popped Tera and the opponent goes into a wall that is vulnerable to your coverage (Skeleridge, Garganacl, ect.), then expect a defensive Tera to follow.
Yesses (Quaquaval) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Aqua Step
- Rapid Spin
- Roost
- U-turn

• If there's one set I didn't steal from anyone, it's this one.
  • Defensive Quaquaval uses its unique typing and recovery in Roost to check notable physical attackers like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, and Scizor.
  • Because these three and others like Greninja and Cinderace struggle to get past it, Quaquaval finds a lot of great switch-ins to the metagame's revenge killers.
  • This makes it a perfect defensive pivot with U-turn, bringing in the team's wallbreakers like Chien-Pao and Garchomp.
  • The physical bulk and typing also makes it a good user for Rapid Spin, as you can beatup the likes of Great Tusk, Clodsire, and Ting-Lu.
  • The Speed EVs are somewhat arbitrary; you outspeed Dragapult at +2; if that even matters.
  • Quaquaval, despite its investement, really isn't that bulky; use it to deter STAB attacks that it resists, but not much else.
  • Don't be afraid to either sack it or spam U-turn over Rapid Spin / Roost; the more momentum you secure from it is better than keeping this around for the end-game.

Chaos Follows (Gholdengo) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

• In hazard offense, you always need Gholdengo to block Defog and spin.
  • Air Baloon softens the switch-in versus Great Tusk and Iron Treds when spinblocking, and it also means Clodsire and Ting-Lu have a harder time dealing with you.
  • Tera Fighting as a means to resist Sucker Punch and Crunch while not being vulnerable to the STAB attacks of the mirror.
  • Nasty Plot helps with stallbreaking and cleaning in some late-game scenarios where it outspeeds the foe
  • The bulk + Recover is necessary so Booster Energy Iron Valiant doesn't run away with the win.
  • Note that Gholdengo will need to transition from wall to wallbreaker depending on the matchup and what foes remain; feel comfortable knowing this double-role and when it applies; you wouldn't trade with Gholdengo early on when the preview shows like the likes of Iron Valiant and Breloom still around.

Heaven Sings (Dragonite) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Hurricane

• Dragonite is the primary cleaner of the team, using the damage done from entry hazards and the previous wallbreakers to ease its way to wins.
  • Hurricane is the coverage of choice because it pairs exceedingly well with Chien-Pao; eliminating Great Tusk and Paldeon Tauros formes is too good; but it's not only those two; physical walls like Dondozo and Amongus don't fancy the damage either; you even avoid the adverse contact effect from Volcorona and Garchomp; what's not to love?
  • There's not much else to say about Dragonite other than that it too is busted and this team supports it sweeping perfectly.

Replays:
Ladder Topping Game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1786407032
Versus Lead Breloon: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1786350057
Versus Toxic Spikes (they stay up the whole game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1786329762
Versus Thunder Powell: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1786321931
Versus Tera Dragapult: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1786308962
I also goobed blunder

Amazing team, both lead meow and chain chomp have been picking up a lot recently, and a team with both of them sounds really nice. Also, the nicknames are peak.

Zesty pivot
1675195235017.png

Used this to get reqs, thanks. Only modification I made was covert cloak > balloon on Gholdengo cuz I really hate Garg

Here’s a fun replay when Hurricane on dragonite came in clutch

Last edited:
How do I deal with QD Volc reliably with this team? Seems like a bit of a roadblock to me, especially when I don't want my offense to get burned by flame body

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
How I deal with iron valiant

Since the user is banned I'll try answering.

There's 5 mons weak to Fairy, and the 1 mon that isn't is Dengo, so you best hope it's not Booster Energy and if it is, you have to Tera on Gholdengo and kill it with Shadow Ball / Make it Rain. This team is extremely tera reliant against Valiant. You have another options of sacking a mon, going to Dragonite and tera to normal type and Extreme Speed twice to kill it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)