Monotype 18

EIGHTEEN - Hello everyone! My name is Haaku, aka Haakunite, and this is my first RMT since being a wee 13 year old on Smogon thinking my OU teams with Sandlash were actually innovative over 4 years ago. I started becoming semi-involved in Smogon since the late days of Black and White, and I used to be horrible. Despite not being the perfect player or teambuilder to this day, I believe my teambuilding skills have vastly improved during this time, at least enough to feel comfortable showing off this team. 18 is based around the concept of Stealth Rock Kommo-o, freeing up a slot for teammates such as Life Orb Lucario. The team is meant to have a winnable matchup against as many types as possible while retaining general viability. While I can see the "Fighting sucks. don't use it" comments from a mile away, I have always had a strange love for Fighting- originating in the side server community, I would always “main” this type and play it more than any other. It would only make sense to tribute this by basing my first real RMT off of a Fighting team I have had relative success with during USUM. The name comes from the song with the same name, but also because of my very recent 18th birthday! Without further ado, I’d like to dive straight into the team itself!

Item:
| Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Clanging Scales / Flamethrower / Taunt / Stealth Rock

Kommo-o’s many new tools make it a great Pokemon to build around for Fighting teams. This particular set may seem a bit unconventional, but the reality is that Clanging Scales and Flamethrower gives Kommo-o the ability to hit the majority of the metagame for neutral damage bar Heatran and Azumarill, which can be checked by other Pokemon. Taunt is an excellent option that can stop would-be stops such as Haze Toxapex and serves as a stop to opposing hazard setters such as Jirachi. Stealth Rock gives Kommo-o and the rest of the team fantastic role compression by freeing up a teamslot that enables the use of Life Orb Lucario, a rather underrated Pokemon in USUM. Kommo-o itself is a reliable hazard user, as it naturally forces many switches thanks to many Pokemon fearing its Z Move. Clanging Scales + Flamethrower are the two attacking moves- while a lack of Fighting STAB seems unattractive, it allows Kommo-o to go fully special, and the threats that Close Combat hits are already covered by its 5 other teammates. Kommonium Z and the rest of the set are self explanatory, as they allow Kommo-o to retain its ability as a dangerous late-game sweeper while still providing support for its team.Overall, this was a nice Pokemon to build around in the recent USUM metagame.

Item:
| Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly Nature
Close Combat / Zen Headbutt / Swords Dance / Knock Off

Mega Gallade is necessary for just about any viable Fighting team, and for very apparent reasons. The set above is pretty standard, and allows Gallade to become a dangerous setup sweepers against bulkier types such as Poison and Water, which Kommo-o can often struggle against. There are very few switch-ins after a single Swords Dance, being limited to just Mega Sableye and Mega Slowbro, and the wallbreaking support that Mega Gallade provides allows its multiple faster teammates such as Terrakion and Heracross to clean late-game with much more ease. Psychic STAB in general is very useful, as it allows Gallade to break Poison's defensive core, which is otherwise very problematic for Fighting. Knock Off allows Mega Gallade to serve as the team's only check to Choice Scarf Latios. I won't go too in-depth with Mega Gallade, as its use on any Fighting team doesn't really require an explanation.

Item:
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / HP Electric / Icy Wind

Like Mega Gallade, Keldeo is an absolute necessity for any viable Fighting team. It’s a deadly special wallbreaker that completes a nice wallbreaking core with Mega Gallade, giving Terrakion and Heracross an easier time against bulkier teams. Keldeo’s Water typing helps this team a lot, especially in the Ground and Fairy matchup. Since our Kommo-o lacks Poison Jab, Keldeo is the team’s Azumarill check, being able to easily live an Aqua Jet after a Belly Drum and KO Azumarill with Hidden Power Electric. Choice Specs give a Keldeo the wallbreaking power it needs to make it the threatening nuke that it is. Hydro Pump is Keldeo’s strongest move and, barring it’s imperfect accuracy, can dent just about any Pokemon that does not resist it. Icy Wind helps Keldeo not get stopped by Latios and Dragonite, and also ensures the OHKO against Garchomp. Lastly, Hidden Power Electric is necessary in order for Keldeo to check Azumarill, but also comes in handy against would-be stops such as Mantine and Toxapex.

Item:
Stone Edge / Close Combat / Earthquake / Poison Jab

The speed control that Terrakion provides while holding a Choice Scarf is invaluable to this team. Terrakion’s Rock typing, great coverage, and above average Attack allows it to be a great check to many problematic Pokemon to the team so far. Alongside Keldeo, Terrakion effectively secures the Fire matchup and can threaten Pokemon such as Volcarona, Nihilego, and Blacephalon at +1 Speed. Earthquake coverage is important to team as it can nail Nihilego, Mega Diancie, and Tapu Koko for super effective damage. Lastly, Poison Jab is the last moveslot, used mainly for OHKOing Tapu Bulu on the switch-in and serves as a move to spam against Fairy if Klefki has been knocked out. The team lacks Speed support outside of priority from Lucario, so a Choice Scarf is really helpful in order for Terrakion to outspeed the majority of the metagame, something the wallbreakers really appreciate.

Item:
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant Nature
Close Combat / Bullet Punch / Extreme Speed / Swords Dance

Lucario is a pretty rare option for Fighting teams; however, it was chosen on this team because it fulfills a variety of roles. Lucario’s access to Swords Dance in tandem with a great priority combination in Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed make it very useful for checking threats such as Mega Diancie and even Alolan Raichu after some chip damage. Since our team lacks Cobalion, the additional Steel typing is useful for negating all 3 of Fighting’s regular weakness. An example is the fact that it can still survive Choice Scarf Latios’s Psychic and 2HKO it with Extreme Speed after Stealth Rock damage. Even Skarmory has a probable chance of being OHKOed by a Close Combat after a Swords Dance, assuming Stealth Rock is up on the field. Lucario’s wallbreaking power and ability to dent faster Pokemon with its powerful priority combination makes it a perfect fit for this team. The effect it has on the Fairy matchup should not go unnoticed either- after a single Swords Dance, many Pokemon are outright KOed by Bullet Punch and those Pokemon who are neutral to it like Tapu Koko are KOed by Extreme Speed. It’s important for Lucario to set up after Reflect support from Klefki has been contained, however.

Item:
| Ability: Moxie
Close Combat / Megahorn / Pursuit / Stone Edge

Heracross completes the team and serves as a great secondary Choice Scarf user that can aid in tough matchups such as Psychic. Heracross runs Pursuit, which helps trap Victini after a single V-create and allow Pokemon like Lucario to be given an easier time. Nothing likes switching in to Megahorn, and even outside the Psychic matchup, Heracross has the ability to snowball kills and gain boosts from Moxie thanks to its spammable STAB combo and decent coverage. Combined with Terrakion, it pressures offensive teams by having to answer to two speedy options rather than one, giving Gallade, Keldeo, and Lucario an easier time breaking through walls. Stone Edge is the last coverage option to avoid being checked by Pokemon such as Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Overall, Heracross just rounds out the team and is a great option to deal with one of Fighting’s worst matchups. Moving on to the threatlist!

Tapu Koko + Alolan Raichu is a very problematic duo for any Fighting team. In Electric Terrain, Raichu can outspeed and OHKO everything on my team. I have to rely on my Mega Gallade being at 100% in order to take on it. As for Tapu Koko, It dies to an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Terrakion after minimal chip damage. Overall, it's very hard to outplay this core and part of the reason I made this team was because of the dip in Alolan Raichu usage.

Fairy is always going to be Fighting's worst matchup. Even with Lucario being a serviceable setup Pokemon in this matchup, it just can't hold up against Pokemon like Klefki with screens support most of the time. Even though the matchup isn't an automatic loss at the beginning of the game, the combination of Tapu Koko, Azumarill behind screens, and the wallbreaking power of Tapu Bulu make this matchup not very easy. If it's Sticky Web Fairy, then I just lose unless I play absolutely perfect with my Lucario, which is not realistic.

Fortunately, with Ghost being such an underused type, this isn't a matchup worth fretting over since it won't be very common. However, Ghost teams do threaten this team because of their combination of Mega Sableye's Will-O-Wisp shutting down physical attackers and the sheer presence of Mimikyu with no Cobalion to stop it. Trick Room Ghost is also very hard to win against as the entire team relies on Speed.

Double Dancers like Mew and Landorus-Therian are very dangerous to the team as all they need is one opportunity to set up with Rock Polish and clean up with their super effective Z Moves. Mew specifically is very difficult to beat as it blocks out priority, and with screens support from Deoxys-Speed, it can find many setup opportunities throughout the game. The best way to beat them is to somehow not allow them to set up. Against Mew, the player should try to sweep with Heracross before they can sweep with Mew. Landorus can be picked off by an Extreme Speed from Lucario at low health, so it can be stopped after an attack such as Zen Headbutt from Mega Gallade.

Excadrill under sand can be especially threatening, as the team lacks a Mach Punch user. If the Excadrill is choice locked, it can be revenge killed by Keldeo or Heracross depending on which STAB move it chooses, but our team doesn’t have this luxury against Life Orb variants. It can be a dangerous late-game sweeper if not checked prior.

Greninja, especially with a Choice Scarf, is dangerous as it can outspeed our entire team and threaten much of it with Extrasensory. After prior damage from a few rounds of Stealth Rock damage, nothing besides Lucario and Mega Gallade can survive an Extrasensory, and while Lucario can severely dent it with Extreme Speed, the rest of the team is still threatened by Greninja’s presence. Life Orb variants are dangerous as well, as they do not require any prior damage to KO Pokemon like Keldeo and Terrakion.

Usage Tips
Kommo-o should only lead against types that don't immediately threaten it, such as Dragon and Fairy. Against Fairy, it can come in on something like Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu clicking Horn Leech and comfortably set up Stealth Rock if Diancie hasn't Mega Evolved. Faster Pokemon should be dealt with by the team's two Scarf users, especially Terrakion, so that wallbreakers like Mega Gallade don't have to worry about them. Against slower hazard users such as Jirachi and Hippowdon, it can be useful to lure them with Taunt Kommo-o before they can set up hazards. Against types like Flying, it is crucial to set up Stealth Rock early-game, as this will give us the momentum we need to force switches and break the team. Pokemon who can outspeed the entire team such as Choice Scarf Latios and Greninja are best dealt with by Mega Gallade after coming in safely. Lastly, while Water is a tedious matchup without Breloom, Swords Dance Mega Gallade and Kommo-o can both win easily with the right support thanks to their freedom to set up on multiple Pokemon.

Shoutouts
Thanks for checking out the team! It took a long time building up for me making it, and I have to say that I’m very happy with the way that it is currently. Despite that, I’m still willing to hear your suggestions because I understand the team isn’t perfect! To end the RMT I want to get into some shoutouts that I feel are necessary. These people are all my friends and contributed in some way to me being the player I am today.

I’m gonna start with some of the Karma people because they’re the family:

Decemm - My best friend on this site. I’ve known you for close to 2 years now, and it’s been quite the journey. We both started on a very small and forgettable side server league and moved up from there at the same time. You’re now an esteemed mono voice and I think it’s long overdue. I’m happy to have you by my side fren and thank you for making this RMT possible by keeping me motivated.

aGroove - I’ve also known you for a while now and you’ve always been a great friend to me and you’ve pulled up with everything. You’re a very underrated player and a fellow smogon graduate, so I’d like to thank you as well for making the team possible. :toast:

roman - I first met you when you were known as “AB Whif” and honestly it’s nice to see that we’ve both come a long way since then. Congrats on your badge and thanks for being my friend!

psychest - You gave birth to the pregnant woman meme, and I’m forever thankful for that. Thanks for being an awesome friend!

HNBL Amane Misa Notily - Grouping you guys together, since I haven’t known you all for long but it’s safe to say that you’re all awesome people and that HNBL is the greatest Scrabble player to EVER live on this earth.

Next up is the bagged milk town frens

Seo. - I’d make another Canadian or bagged milk joke but I’m just gonna save the “why you roastin” response for later. Seriously tho, ur a pretty cool fren

Its Hatch - If I had a dollar for every hatch pun I’ve seen you use on Discord I would probably not be spending my time making this RMT. You’re an awesome friend though, and I’ll never forget about the jorts meme

EricSaysHi - I don’t know you all that well but you’re pretty cool. I have no idea why you own the Eric’s Dad alt, but I’m just goin with it.

iLlama StarBlim - Grouping you guys together since I have the same things to say about each of you. Despite our occasional disagreements, you guys have helped me understand the metagame better and just turned me into a better player. Thanks for putting up with me, and you’re both awesome people, all jokes and memes aside.

Misaka Mikoto - Thanks for giving me a shot in Winter Premier! You’ve made Danganronpa such a hilarious and fun experience for me, and I want to thank you for being so awesome. :D

Now gonna shoutout some of my OM friends

Quantum Tesseract - I remember running my Shared Power idea through you before I even submitted it. I’d say you’re a pretty big reason I even got introduced to the OM community, so thank you!

GL Volkner - For being an awesome chat presence. I don’t know you very well, but I hope we can become good friends in the future!

DatHeatmor - I appreciate your constant support in Shared Power and I feel like it’s gotten us to know each other well. You’re also a pretty cool chat presence, so thank you!

nv - You’re an awesome council member! Inheritance is tons of fun and I’m happy to be running Shared Power with you as well. Thanks!

Chloe Ransei DEG - I don’t know you guys very well but you guys do an awesome job at helping run the OM community! Thanks for pulling me in and being great chat presences as well.

... and the Monotype community leaders

Eien Moosical Acast Paleo - You four are part of what makes this community great. Thanks for running an awesome metagame and helping me become a much better player.

Tyke - I’m still convinced we’re somehow living the same life. You’re really cool and I’m glad you’re in our community!

Omega-Xis - You may not realize it, but you’re actually the first friend I made from the community on main after joining that discord. You’re (in my opinion) one of the more approachable staff members, and I want to thank you for making this team possible.

Lastly, one big shoutout..

Hiye - I’ve known you for a stupidly long amount of time, before either of us even found an interest in Pokemon Showdown. We still have a lot of catching up to do! Lastly, congratulations on your trophy. You’ve come a long way and I hope we can still be friends!

I’m more than sure that I missed some people here, and I’m very sorry if I did! It’s a lot to go through, so if you’re not here and still helped me in some way, then you know who you are!

Conclusion
That concludes the RMT! This took quite a long time to put together. I was actually planning on releasing this on my birthday on 2/2, but it had to get pushed back. Let me know what you all think of the team!

Steal This Team!
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)