Other 1v1 DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo. DLC is a little under a week off and council has stated an intention to do a massive wave of unbans come DLC 2, the sheet for their votes can be found here. I say the following with all due respect, I believe council has the right idea but I don't agree with the specifics. For those unaware, the general consensus among council and the player base that the meta is due for a wave of unbans due to the massive influx of power. A vast majority of legends are returning and along with them a higher level of power, speed, and bulk. The current slate of mons to be unbanned is Jirachi, Magearna, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mimikyu, Necrozma, and Togekiss. There are two concerns I have with this list. One, there are way too many. Two, some of these are far and above what the tier is capable of handling. Another preface, some council have stated that they intend to basically just free things with the intention of an immediate QB if it's so obviously broken. However, I haven't seen this sentiment expressed by the entire council, if they do all share that same idea, the sheet/council minutes would be a perfect place to say so. There's of course the question of "what's the point of freeing something with the intention of shortly rebanning it" but considering the opportunity cost is very low if these unbans->bans are over the course of a few hours it's not a huge deal. So what are my and other's concerns about how things are looking to be handled? It's a matter of time. Council is proposing the unban of 7 different mons when realistically only 4 have a feasible chance at sticking around. When you also factor in that we may need to suspect DLC 2 mons such as Tapu Koko, Dragonite, Zygarde-C, Victini, and/or Tapu Lele the sheer amount of time spent is something we do not possess considering tours. Given time is of the essence, what is worth our time? I'll be looking at every single mon on the sheet that is currently planned to be released w/ DLC and state the common consensus I've gathered from talking with other players and some of my own opinion.

:ss/jirachi:
Jirachi was originally banned due to the tier's inability to effectively break or outspeed. In conjunction with both of its stabs having Iron Head and Zen Headbutt respectively and Serene's Grace adding yet another barrier preventing this mon from remaining in the tier when it was introduced in Home. So has SS gained sufficient tools to deal with Jirachi? Most will say yes. 100 speed tier is no longer as dominant now being crowded with Zapdos and Victini as well as a plethora of faster threats such as Raikou, Kartana, and Garchomp just to name a few. There has also been an influx of mons which Jirachi will have a rough time beefing past without serious investment such as Lando-T, Heatran, Volcanion, and some others. In my opinion, Jirachi will settle fine in DLC 2.

:ss/magearna:
Magearna was originally banned due to the lack of many mons that beat it without supereffective stab and that was especially concerning considering the tier's lack of good grounds. How was it able to beat so much? Few factors. Magearna boasts excellent stats (barring mediocre speed), arguably the best typing in the game, and a comically good movepool. Fleur Cannon, Thunderbolt, GeIce Beam, Shadow Ball, Trick, Encore, Stored Power, Calm Mind, Aura Sphere, Iron Defense, Pain Split, Draining Kiss, the list goes on notably gaining Stored Power/Encore/Trick in SS. The biggest thing in favor of Magearna returning is finally getting good grounds and some mons that can exploit Magearna's poor speed. DLC has blessed us with Landos, Zygarde, and Garchomp, however, do keep in mind that Shuca is an option Magearna can feasibly run. There are also some faster mons that annoy it like Raikou, Eerie Impulse Zapdos, and Genesect. Notable to mention is the influx of exceptional fires such as Victini, Heatran, and Blaziken. In my opinion, Magearna is worth unbanning but there is a fair chance it becomes unhealthy for the tier as its vast options are explored properly.

:ss/Marshadow:
Marshadow was quickly QB'd before being given a chance in the tier. In most people's eyes, for good reason. Ghost/Fighting is arguably the best offensive typing in the game and Marshadow makes excellent use of it with an exceptional speed tier, good movepool, and solid overall stat spread. Marshadow is deceptively bulky at 90/80/90 and while it's nothing to write home about considering the few things that do outspeed it are either futile to try and beat or can't break it Marshadow can effectively focus on living hits over outspeeding mons that don't exist w/ hitting above 115 should be more than sufficient for what you want. Also considering that it can patch up its weaknesses with items, either CB or weakness berries. Not even mentioning Technician boosted Shadow Sneak or the fact that boosting on it is impractical because of Spectral Thief Marshadow is at an absurd level of strength for its excellent speed tier that the tier cannot handle. In my opinion, Marshadow should not be seriously considered.

:ss/Melmetal:
Melmetal was allowed in the tier for all of a few hours before being immediately booted from the tier. It's very easy to see why. Melmetal has nigh unrivaled physical bulk which is insane in combination with solid pure Steel typing and an essentially 156 BP stab move that's a double hit and can flinch. A multitude of physical threats are hard-pressed to handle Melmetal as they are unable to KO it and even less able to tank a Double Iron Bash. Even threats that could beat it such as stall threats have to fear a stall war with Acid Armor/Body Press Melmetal or getting flinched down by Double Iron Bash+Twave. Its special bulk while pretty mediocre is totally salvageable due to Melmetal's excellent HP and the ability to run weakness berries or Assualt Vest. You need to be a special fire that blows it up or a fire that can use its typing to take a hit from Melmetal while throwing out super effective attacks. Our only grounds either lose inherently or in Lando-I's case loses to Assualt Vest. There is no better way to describe Melmetal than a behemoth, it's absurdly strong and fat more than compensating for its low speed. I would recommend going on the calc and just looking at various examples of what Melmetal is capable of. Melmetal forces the tier to conform to its standards and would be an unhealthy tyrant to the tier. In my opinion, Melmetal should not be seriously considered.

:ss/Mimikyu:
Mimikyu was banned because holy shit it is so horrible for 1v1. To be frank, if you asked someone to make a mon specifically tailored to exploiting 1v1 as a meta most people would be hard-pressed to come up with something more ludicrous than Mimikyu. Disguise allows Mimikyu to take a free hit and Mimikyu is so excellently tailored to abusing it. Mimikyu has an excellent typing, good speed tier, and an insane movepool. The movepool is really where Mimi becomes an issue. Curse with a free hit absolutely destroys a vast majority of the meta especially when you are essentially guaranteed 3 free turns+damage due to the combo of Disguise into Protect into Phantom Force, Trick can be infuriating to mons that try to work around Mimi with status move, Shadow Sneak+Play Rough/Phantom Force when boosted by Life Orb are capable of KO'g many faster threats, Charm/Will-O-Wisp+Kee Berry allow Mimikyu to effectively dispatch most physical threats notably those that try to break past its Disguise with multi-hit moves. This is not even to mention Mimikyu's random useful coverage such as Hammer Arm and Burning Jealousy. When building around Mimikyu you have two options: 1. accept you will lose to one if not a few of its plethora of viable sets 2. run excadrill. In my opinion, Mimikyu should not be seriously considered.

:ss/necrozma:
Necrozma was banned because of the tier's inability to handle Necrozma's strength and bulk in combination with Prism Armor. Since its ban briefly after Home, SS's options to dispatch Necrozma have increased significantly. PZ, Urshi-SS, Raikou/Suicune, Zapdos, Blacephalon, Registeel, and Cresselia with various others being able to check Specs or Stall however I only want to mention 100% counters for the sake of argument. Beating Necrozma is way easier than it was initially, its mediocre speed is finally a consequence and its inability to really scratch mons that aren't scared of Psychic hits is now finally an issue with the influx of bulkier mons. Necrzoma has some other options such as Weakness Policy and physical however none of it really provides Necrozma with an insane amount of versatility like they used to. In my opinion, Necrozma will settle fine in DLC 2.

:ss/togekiss:
Togekiss was banned as it had a perfect combo of options that were excellent for beating many top tiers forcing the meta into a Toge check/broken structure as beating Togekiss consistently had to get over the burden of flinches as well as potential stall sets and overall it was exceedingly unhealthy for the tier. However, DLC 2 is super unkind to Togekiss. It doesn't like new additions such as Raikou, Zapdos, Naganadel, Aggron, Celesteela, or Victini. Togekiss hates the influx of mons faster than 80 as well as mons that inherently threaten it through typing. It'll no longer be the constricting flying tank it was DLC 1. In my opinion, Togekiss will settle fine in DLC 2.

Well, that's that. I intentionally avoided mentioning probably brokens as checks to these brokens since I think broken check broken makes for an incredibly unhealthy meta, that's why there's an absence of Koko/Dnite mentions. Not to get sidetracked, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. In conclusion, while I understand the want to give mons due process a line needs to be drawn. Each mon that is unbanned/ban will greatly impact the meta and a lot of hassle can be avoided of mons that are just inherently not worth looking into are ignored. DLC 2 looks really fun I don't want its potential squandered by hesitancy to make judgment calls. I'm starting to think I take this too seriously considering I wrote this while meaning to take a break from mons, shoutouts to people for encouraging words about my posts I really do appreciate it. Until next time, peace.

Last edited:

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heyo guys, just a bit of an update on whats been voted on.

All 6 council members have been voted on, with the (likely) results being:
FREED:
Jirachi :Jirachi:
Magearna :Magearna:
Marshadow :Marshadow:
Melmetal :Melmetal: edit: Melmetal now changed to Not Freed
Necrozma :Necrozma:
Togekiss :Togekiss:

Cinderace, Eternatus, Kyurem-W, Kyurem-B, Lunala, Mimikyu, Melmetal, Mew, Mewtwo, Necrozma-DM, Necrozma-DW, Reshiram, Sableye, Solgaleo, Zacian, Zacian-C, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-C

Note that any Pokemon that was allowed for Gen 7 1v1 will be allowed in Gen 8 1v1, as well, when DLC 2 is released (i.e. Pokemon like Cresselia, Zyg-C), but can be initially banned if its clear that they are not fit for competitive play. Bear in mind that while the Pokemon being freed will be usable as soon as DLC 2 is released, if its immediately clear that the metagame cannot handle any of these Pokemon, they will be banned within the first few hours. If this list changes I'll post an update with the change.

What are your thoughts on this initial list? How do you think these Pokemon will interact with what is confirmed for DLC 2?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)