2010 music

new Demon Hunter is as bad as you thought it would be.

Barren Earth however has stormed onto my radar with a vengence. their new album Curse of the Red River is excellent melodeath with a lot of character.

i think alot of the hate for flash delirium is just a kneejerk reaction to the sudden change in sound and i definitely dont see why anyone should apologize for liking it (let alone the band themselves).

congratulations is pretty much all ive listened to since downloading last night. i'm not sure i could pick a standout track as the whole album is really consistent, but if i had to it would be its working or flash delirium. its working sounds like some sort of crazy medieval acid trip (and as far as i can make out thats pretty much what the lyrics concern lol), and flash delirium is just so joyful. they said in the link above something like "we were laughing so hard when we wrote that song", almost in a dismissive way, but i dont think they need to apologize for the song at all. when the synths and the layered chanting kick in, it's always gets me.

you also have to respect them for making such a radical change. not many bands that got so much radio play and album sales and all that stuff would go on to create a 12 minute song about...something.
They set out what they wanted to do, and made a great album instead of stand-alone tracks with some filler shit (Most of Oracular).

No track really jumps out at me or steals anothers thunder (Ok maybe Siberian Breaks, that's definitely their best song.) It's just a great album in general. Kinda like Sgt. Pepper, it wasn't meant to be an album with singles.

I don't think they're going to release any singles for it anyways.

I love this new MGMT anyways, I hope they stay this way and continue to make music like this.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Triptykon's debut album Eparistera Daimones is something I hope will be good, The frontman is Tom Warrior formerly of Celtic Frost and HellHammer.
not bad at all, better than monotheist even. stands loftily above the heaps of cretinous metal i've heard this year. it seems unique enough and doesn't fall where most modern metal does (overproduction and idol worship).

They set out what they wanted to do, and made a great album instead of stand-alone tracks with some filler shit (Most of Oracular).

No track really jumps out at me or steals anothers thunder (Ok maybe Siberian Breaks, that's definitely their best song.) It's just a great album in general. Kinda like Sgt. Pepper, it wasn't meant to be an album with singles.

I don't think they're going to release any singles for it anyways.

I love this new MGMT anyways, I hope they stay this way and continue to make music like this.
Mhm, I don't know what number playthrough i'm on right now, but at first it was good, and now i'm writing a research paper and listening to it, and the album as a whole is just... I don't know its just fucking amazing, beautiful.

With that said, Oracular Spectacular is nothing to scoff at, i'm not sure if Congratulations has surpassed it, but i'd rather not look at these albums versus each other, they are both amazing in their own way, and contribute equally but differently to the amazing band that is mgmt.

Also been listening to Broken Bells a bit more, it has surpassed my expectations, very solid album.

Best albums of the year so far.

1. A Badly Broken Code - Dessa
2. The Monitor - Titus Andronicus
3. The Brutalist Bricks - Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
4. The Big To-Do - Drive-By Truckers
5. Odd Blood - Yeasayer
6. Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
7. Romance Is Boring - Los Campesinos!
8. There Is Love In You - Four Tet
9. Teen Dream - Beach House
10. Heartland - Owen Pallett

This year is so good. We haven't even seen the new entries from The Hold Steady, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, or M.I.A. Everybody should really check out the new Dessa, Titus, and Ted. In fact, all of the top six is phenomenal.

I still have that new Apples In Stereo and the new MGMT in my listening queue, so judgment is still reserved there.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
not bad at all, better than monotheist even. stands loftily above the heaps of cretinous metal i've heard this year. it seems unique enough and doesn't fall where most modern metal does (overproduction and idol worship).
Well it's made by the dude from Celtic Frost, what do you expect?

I will review that album at some point.

Best albums of the year so far.

1. A Badly Broken Code - Dessa
2. The Monitor - Titus Andronicus
3. The Brutalist Bricks - Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
4. The Big To-Do - Drive-By Truckers
5. Odd Blood - Yeasayer
6. Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
7. Romance Is Boring - Los Campesinos!
8. There Is Love In You - Four Tet
9. Teen Dream - Beach House
10. Heartland - Owen Pallett

This year is so good. We haven't even seen the new entries from The Hold Steady, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, or M.I.A. Everybody should really check out the new Dessa, Titus, and Ted. In fact, all of the top six is phenomenal.

I still have that new Apples In Stereo and the new MGMT in my listening queue, so judgment is still reserved there.
I like that list, just put Titus at #1. ;D
I dipped into Los Campesinos new album a bit, I should probably finish that up.
I'm a little torn between Titus and MGMT, I'm still listening to MGMT's and I'm wondering if it's better. Bah give me a week or two, they're both great albums, but I don't think I can choose. :X

Also, the album I'm definitely most excited for this year is Arcade Fire's.
I don't know if they're gonna make an album as good (perfect) as Funeral, but I'll certainly settle for something at Neon Bible's level.

i'm having trouble with the new daughters album

hell songs is one of my favourites of all time and i am just havint trouble adjusting ok... it's cool how it's bassier i guess, but i only like a couple songs at most. oof.

bored, so ill join the top 10s i guess

1. joanna newsom - have one on me
2. mgmt - congratulations
3. keepaway - yellow wings ep
4. beach house - teen dream
5. morning benders - big echo
6. local natives - gorilla manor
7. los campesinos! - romance is boring
8. titus andronicus - the monitor
9. liars - sisterworld
10. the knife - tommorow, in a year

those last two are carried mostly on the strength of a couple of standout tracks (namely scissor and colouring of pigeons) but considering how many time ive played them they're just as deserving

also anyone interested in the new national album, you can hear 4 tracks around on the internet but theyre neatly assembled here. i think bloodbuzz ohio is already one of my favourite tracks they've ever recorded, it's like the perfect midpoint between boxer and alligator and if they keep this up they're going to create a fucking masterpiece x___x

ye, my top would look like this so far

1. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
2. Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam
3. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
4. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
5. Daughters - Daughters
6. Jonsi - Go
7. Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks
8. Yeasayer - Odd Blood
9. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
10. Caribou - Swim

year gets better

By the way, I listened to Congratulations and Travellers In Time And Space. Not sure why some of you flipped a shit over Congratulations. It's pleasant, but it's not a lot. Travellers is a lot cooler. Sort of the same delightful effect, but it pops.

Looking at Zoro's top ten, I actually don't have the new 'Tones album, and while I have a severe aversion to metal, I'll check out OP. Foxy Shazam is cool, and I haven't checked the new FR yet.

You guys all seriously need to check my number one out. Dessa's A Badly Broken Code is an outside shot for album of the year. With what's coming out in May, it's unlikely, but it's got a chance.

Just listened to Plastic beach, It was much better than I had expected, now time to just keep listening to this, congratulations, and broken bells for a bit.

Oh yea that's right, Deftones came out with a new album.
I need to listen to that, next on my list then.

Man, I've listened to a lot of stuff from this year.

*Giant pic that includes Wu-Massacre*
Wu-Massacre came out? I thought that was coming in the summer?

Anyway, I'm really hyped for Pharaohe Monch to drop W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) this summer, its supposed to be his last album but its also supposed to have a whole bunch of producers and guest spots like Exile & Talib Kweli.

Wu-Massacre comes out in five days, but it just leaked! Basically, if it's leaked, it's probably in that picture I have there.

Everything after The Wonder Show Of The World in that picture is not yet out, by the way. It's chronological.

Joanna Newsom's voice creeps me out. o_O

Congratulations isn't bad... I dunno, it's different from their last album. Still giving it time... Though I am utterly disappointed in Lady Dada's Nightmare. So much potential, lost.

Also, the album I'm definitely most excited for this year is Arcade Fire's.
I don't know if they're gonna make an album as good (perfect) as Funeral, but I'll certainly settle for something at Neon Bible's level.
I learned from Neon Bible not to expect more, and given the perfection of Funeral, that's okay. I mean, if you churn out such an amazing album, it's okay, you can get away with just making good albums. They feel mediocre in comparison, but they're good in their own right.

(Hope they come to Australia or something)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)