[2013] Heatran (QC: 0/3)

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran

[Overview]

• Immune to fire
  • Good Bulk, Special attack
  • One of, if not the best fire pokemon
  • Good spread moves

[SET]
Name: Offensive Tran
Move 1: Heatwave / Eruption
Move 2: Earth Power
Move 3: Dragon Pulse / Substitute
Move 4: Protect
Item: Fire Gem
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest / Quiet(Only if using Eruption)
Evs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Heatwave is the primary stab
  • Eruption can be used on trick room variants
  • Earth Power is used to hit things like opposing Heatran
  • Dragon Pulse helps round out coverage
  • Protect
  • Fire Gem Boosts a powerful stab to seriously dent, or kill some threatening Pokemon
  • Bronzong is a good teammate for Eruption Tran
[Additional Comments]

• Shuca Berry
  • Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit landokitty and mence harder
  • Pokemon that can bait fire attacks should be used
  • Wide Guard support
  • Hitmontop is a great teammate,
  • Icy Wind / Thunder wave users are great to have
  • Rain is a problem
  • 76 HP is needed to survive landokitty EQ with Shuca Berry
  • Intimidate partners are great to have. Hitmontop, Gyarados, Landokitty ect
  • Timid Nature
  • Fire Blast
[SET]

Name: Sub Protect
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Protect
Move 3: Heatwave / Fire Blast
Move 4: Earth Power
Item: Chople Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
Evs: 244 HP/ 52 Def/ 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Substitute and protect are used to dodge hits
  • Heatwave is a good spread move
  • Fire blast can be used if you're scared of wide guard and want more power
  • Earth Power is used to round our coverage
  • With the given Evs, you live a fighting gem CC from Top and can still set up a sub
[Additional Comments]

• Fake out users are great to help set up subs (Scrafty/Hitontop)
  • Wide Guard support
  • Follow Me/Rage Powder
  • Icy Wind / Thunder wave is amazing to have around
  • Rain is super lame
  • Pokemon to deal with ground/fighting pokemon
  • Shuca Berry
[Other Options]

• Hidden Power Grass
  • Flash Cannon
  • Taunt
  • Sunny day
  • Flamethrower/Over Heat
  • WoW
  • Flame Charge
  • Ancient Power (The Volc Killer)
  • Choice
  • Air Balloon
[Checks Counters]

• Ground and Fighting types
  • Hitmontop (wide guard)
  • Terrakion
  • Garchomp
  • Excadrill
  • LandoKitty
  • Water types
  • Rain counters heatran so hard, if you see it in team preview probably don't even bring tran

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Timid Heatran definitely needs to be mentioned as being able to outspeed Breloom so they can't Spore teammates or Heatran. Bronzong is a cool teammate too if using Eruption.

I'll give a more detailed look when I'm not posting from my phone.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Timid Heatran definitely needs to be mentioned as being able to outspeed Breloom so they can't Spore teammates or Heatran. Bronzong is a cool teammate too if using Eruption.

I'll give a more detailed look when I'm not posting from my phone.
I added Timid as an OO and bronzong as a teammate on the eruption slashed set

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Bigger post time.

What are the Speed EVs on the offensive set meant to do? I think I would rather pump 24 more EVs into Speed so that you can at least outspeed max speed neutral base 70s like Hitmontop, Politoed, Metagross, Bisharp, and Ludicolo(If you have Tailwind set up or outside of rain) I don't think I really like Shuca or Chople Berry on the offensive set either. Mention the whole Shuca+76 HP to live Lando-T EQ thing and Chople Berry in AC for that set instead. Make sure to mention in AC that if you run Eruption, it's probably better to run a max HP and max SpA with min Speed IVs. When I mentioned Timid Heatran, I meant it as an AC mention for this set too.

Fire Gem definitely needs to be one of the main items on offensive Heatran as Fire Gem Eruption(and Heat Wave I guess) is so strong that you're giganuking Garchomp and Tyranitar(Well almost) in sun with a Helping Hand boost. I kinda wanna see Dragon Pulse mentioned as a moveslot for offensive Heatran before HP Ice(Which I would move to AC where Dragon Pulse is). HP Ice is good and all, but the extra coverage is way more limited than Dragon Pulse.

The Sub Protect set now, why are we using that much Speed? I notice it is enough to outspeed 0 Speed EV Cresselia, but is that really needed? The worst Cresselia is doing to you is HP Ground which isn't even OHKOing and if it did it would probably be faster than 0 Speed EVs. The Speed on subtran is usually wonky being anywhere from 0 Speed to max Speed, so I really don't know where exactly the benchmark should be made. I suppose just make the benchmark with 4 Speeds EVs, but someone else can weigh in this.

It's not just that Cresselia is a good teammate, but Icy Wind and Thunder Wave Support is great for Heatran. The possible Skill Swap is great too, but doesn't have a ton of value against a lot of the common threats now-a-days.

I think that's it for now, update the skeleton and I'll take another look and probably stamp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)