[2013] Tyranitar Skeleton (QC 0/3)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Needs writer.

[Overview]

• THE sand setter of the VGC meta
  • Handles common mons like Thundurus, Cresselia, Lati@s very well
  • Great support through weather and power
  • Ttar known for it's good movepool
  • Not the best typing
[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Crunch / Fire Punch / Fire Blast
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Protect
item: Chople Berry / Passho Berry
ability: Sand Stream
evs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Def
nature: Adamant / Brave
IVs: 0 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

• Reliably handles Cress/Lati@s/Thund/etc through combination of STABs
  • Low Kick hits opposing Tyranitar and Terrakion
  • Fire Punch hits Scizor and Ferrothorn
  • Fire Blast still causes damage without having to worry about Intimidate
  • Slow enough to get it's weather up vs opposing weather starters
  • Chople helps cover up main weakness (Ttar Low Kicks and Hydra Focus Blasts) while Passho is for extra help with Rain
  • Sand especially appreciated by mons like Garchomp and Excadrill
  • Partners that don't care about Sand as much: Cresselia, Amoonguss, Hitmontop, Salamence, Latios, Volcarona, Tornadus
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Lum Berry / Persim Berry + Swagger teammate
  • Leftovers + Substitute

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Superpower / Low Kick
move 4: Fire Punch / Ice Punch
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 76 HP / 182 Attack / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

• Trades in bulk and guaranteed Sand for extra killing potential
  • Most notably outspeeds base 111 mons (Thundurus)
  • Superpower doesn't require a heavy opponent to do damage
  • Last move is personal preference. Ice Punch hits Dragons and Landorus-T while Fire Punch will hit the previously mentioned Scizor.
  • Shares partners with previous set.
  • EVs guarantee survival from a Steel Gem boosted Scizor Bullet Punch at full health
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Earthquake
  • Stone Edge
  • Fire Blast on the Scarf set with a Naive nature and 0 SpA Investment still hits harder than Fire Punch and can't be intimidated

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 2: Crunch / Fire Punch / Fire Blast
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

• A faster, more offensive approach to Tyranitar with the freedom to switch between moves
  • Shares partners and moves with previous sets
  • Focus Sash allows TTar to beat Pokemon like Terrakion 1 on 1
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Gems + 76 HP / 182 Attack / 252 Speed for BP survival
  • Lum / Persim + Swagger teammate
  • Leftovers + Substitute
  • Life Orb

[OTHER OPTIONS]

• Thunder Wave
  • Choice Band
  • Dragon Dance
  • Unnerve
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

• Hitmontop, Terrakion, Infernape, Breloom, Metagross, Scizor, Politoed, Landorus(I and T), Mamoswine, Excadrill, Garchomp, etc

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Slash Fire Punch/Blast in with Low Kick as well on the main set, if you're using a fire move you're usually trading off Crunch or your Fighting move. Meaning also mention Superpower with instead of Low Kick, maybe keeping Superpower as the main slash on the set to possibly move Low Kick to AC? Do whatever you feel on that, but that's probably what I would do.

On the same set move Focus Sash and a fast spread(Jolly/Adamant with the same EVs as the scarf set is what I usually see/use) in AC. It's really handy to catch slowish base 70s off guard and get the possible KO. It has some downsides like loads of bulk being lost, but a good player can play around that.

The scarf set, I'm not too sure about Stone Edge being mentioned on the main set, probably move it to AC. EQ deserves an AC mention as well. It's really situational, but can help a lot when you get an opportunity to use it(Like when they have a Steel type+Rage Powder/Follow Me user).

In OO, Choice Band, Counter, and Dragon Dance should get a mention. They aren't the best options, but hey they still work enough to be mentioned.

After this stuff is done, I'll give another look and approve this.

Nah I think the move slashes on the first set are fine as they are. Tyranitar can give up Crunch and still kill the same stuff, it just takes longer. Without Low Kick Tyranitar basically has to quit against other Tyranitar and Terrakion, so it weakens the set a lot more. Crunch is still fine as the top slash since it's the best neutral option. Life Orb should get a mention though as that's how Tyranitar gets the OHKO on Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. I tried Fire Gem once but lol...just stick with Life Orb.

For the scarf set, 76 HP EVs survives Scizor Steel Gem Bullet Punch guaranteed from full health. That's come in handy so many times for me I can't not suggest it here. Would also swap Fire Punch and Stone Edge since Fire Punch can actually OHKO that same Scizor and not waste the effort to survive, plus if you're scarfed and want to be locked into a Rock move it should almost always be Rock Slide anyway just for the flinch chance.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unnerve should probably have a mention in OO, even though sand is a pretty big factor to Tyranitar's Special bulk.

Also, is there any reason for HP EVs on a Sash'd TTar?

Hi, I usually like only 228 Speed EVs on a Scarf TTar which allows it to outspeed Max Speed timid latios / thundurus. (it doesn't really need to go before anything else.)

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Outspeeding Raikou, Crobat, Scarf Abomasnow/Jellicent can come in handy more than you think for scarf ttar. Doesn't really seem worth the barely noticeable bulk and drop in your Speed just because you can.

@R Inanimate, the EVs were to live Steel Gem Scizor Bullet Punch, but the set using Focus Sash and all so the extra bulk that you give it can just be mitigated back to Attack.

If could be mentioned in AC of that set to go with that much HP EVs and give Tyranitar an item like Rock Gem or Dark Gem(Or Life Orb like Sixonesix mentioned above) to OHKO bulky Thundurus/deal dirty damage to Cresselia

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Unnerve should probably have a mention in OO, even though sand is a pretty big factor to Tyranitar's Special bulk.

Also, is there any reason for HP EVs on a Sash'd TTar?
Yea it's just because I lazily c/p'd the EV spread lol, I can change it to 4/252/252 and add the BP surviving spread in AC for when people want to use Gems.

Dragon Dance is in OO so I don't see any problem with adding Unnerve.

Outspeeding Raikou, Crobat, Scarf Abomasnow/Jellicent can come in handy more than you think for scarf ttar. Doesn't really seem worth the barely noticeable bulk and drop in your Speed just because you can.
Agreed, the change doesn't seem worth it to me.

Biosci

Danger!?
Ok looks good to me, one last change would be AC mention Fire Blast on the Scarf set because with a Naive nature and 0 SpA Investment it still hits harder than Fire Punch and can't be intimidated.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)