[2015] Metagross [QC 2/2] Rewriting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
With the release of Ω Ruby and A Sapphire, Metagross received a brand new evolution and, along with it, a brand new role in VGC. With a high base 145 Attack and a great ability in Tough Claws, Metagross is able to immense damage to a majority of the metagame, and it's even able to OHKO max defense Sylveon. Its bulk is no laughing matter either, as 80/150/110 defenses make Metagross not only an offensive Pokémon, but a respectable tank as well, if need be. And, thanks to its expansive movepool and coverage, it is relatively easy to fit onto any VGC team.
However, it's not all clear skies for this octa-core supercomputer. The fact that this is Generation VI means Metagross has to deal with two new weaknesses in Ghost and Dark, as well as the threats carrying those types. Also, while having access to so many moves, Metagross cannot run them all simultaneously, meaning there is going to be some coverage it will miss out on that it would desperately want. Nevertheless, the second Hoenn pseudo-legendary is primed to Mash holes in the opponent's team if you're unprepared for its coming, and it will certainly headbutt its way to the top of the threat list.

Mega Metagross
########
name: Fast Mega
move 1: Meteor Mash / Iron Head
move 2: Ice Punch / Bullet Punch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch
move 4: Protect
ability: Clear Body
item: Metagrossite
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
Meteor Mash is the strongest STAB move in Mega Metagross's RAM, with it having 90 Base Power, getting a Tough Claws boost, and potentially being able to raise Metagross's Attack. If the 90 Accuracy is too shaky, Iron Head is a viable alternative, having 100 Accuracy, solid 80 base power, and a chance to flinch the opponent. Ice Punch is a great coverage move to have, as it is able to handle Mega Salamence and Landorus-Therian, two of the most commonly-seen Pokémon in VGC. Zen Headbutt is a strong secondary STAB that deals considerable damage to Pokémon that resist its Steel-type attacks, and it is notable for getting a considerable dent in Rotom-W and an OHKO on Amoonguss. Hammer Arm is an option for hitting Tyranitar and Bisharp with force, but the speed drop is a liability that should be considered before choosing to run it. Bullet Punch is another STAB that, while less powerful than Meteor Mash or Iron Head, can be used if a priority move is needed, and can easily take care of weakened threats. In the last moveslot, Protect because VGC. As an option not listed, Earthquake can be used to patch up a weakness to Tyranitar or Bisharp, but it is not encouraged due to not making contact and thus not receiving a Tough Claws boost.

Set Details
========
252 EVs in Attack let Metagross hit most of the metagame for serious damage with its naturally high base Attack, while maximally investing in speed and a positive nature lets it outspeed a lot of the metagame. A Jolly nature will let it speed tie with opposing base 110 Speed Pokémon such as Latios and Gengar, while using an Adamant nature will give Metagross even more raw power.

Usage Tips
========
  • Metagross should be sent out mid-game, when it can easily mega evolve and take out both the threats currently on the field and in the opponent's Poké Balls.
  • It is generally recommended to stay in and continually deal damage, occasionally going for a Protect if need be. Metagross is already coming in at a later point in the match, and it has impressive bulk as is, so there's little purpose in switching it out for another Pokémon.
Team Options
========
  • Pokémon that have good type synergy with Metagross are good allies, such as Rotom-W and Latios
  • Tailwind support from Talonflame, Togekiss, or Suicune, as well as paralysis support from Thundurus, greatly help Metagross with speed control, or otherwise just giving the opposing team a difficult time
  • Hydreigon and Tyranitar are good teammates to help Metagross deal with Aegislash and Gengar, and Metagross can help them deal with Sylveon. They're also great for having great type coverage.
  • Salamence has great type synergy with Metagross, and can weaken opposing Earthquakes with Intimidate and snipe Landorus-T with Drago Meteor.
  • Metagross works well with rain, so rain team staples like Politoed and Ludicolo are good teammates to have
Usage Tips
========
  • Metagross has a lot of sweeping potential; as such, it is important to be able to switch it in safely, so that it can fulfill its role as an offensive cleaner
  • When Mega Evolving, it is not always necessary to go for the priority move. Sometimes, it is okay to go straight for an attacking move, if you definitely know you can safely outspeed and KO the opponent(s)
Team Options
========
  • Rotom-W has great type synergy with Metagross and sports an immunity to Earthquake
  • Pokémon that can switch in to take a Dark-type attack or get a Justified boost (e.g. Sylveon, Swords of Justice)
  • Pokémon, such as Thundurus, Whimsicott, or Fake Out users, to help control opposing faster threats or otherwise troublesome Pokémon
  • Hydreigon and Tyranitar are good teammates to help Metagross deal with Aegislash and Gengar, and Metagross can help them deal with Sylveon. They're also great for having great type coverage.
Other Options
########
  • Thunder Punch
  • Items other than Metagrossite, notably Lum Berry or Assault Vest.
  • Rock Slide
Checks & Counters
########
  • Mega Charizard Y
  • Camerupt
  • Volcarona
  • Talonflame
  • Rotom-W
  • Milotic
  • Ludicolo
  • Intimidate (after Mega Evolution) (Landorus-T, Scrafty, Gyarados, Mega Mawile, Mega Manectric)
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Ghost/Dark-types (Bisharp, Aegislash, Hydreigon)
  • Sucker Punch (Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan)

Last edited:
I'd recommend at least mentioning a max speed MegaGross. I've watched Cybertron use it on his "Road to Ranked" series and it has definitely worked nicely.

I'd recommend at least mentioning a max speed MegaGross. I've watched Cybertron use it on his "Road to Ranked" series and it has definitely worked nicely.
I strongly agree with this, base 115 speed is a lot of Metagross has going for it. There are a lot of good Steel-types but Mega Metagross is the only fast one, Adamant and Bulky sets are decent but aren't entirely unique in their niche. I would recommend a fast set with jolly slashed before adamant, then a bulky set, and just leave non-mega in OO.

Well, this is not much, but this is what I was able to come up with for Metagross during two Influenza-filled days. This is now QC ready. I feel like I'm a bit lacking in the Overview, C&C, and team options sections, and I'm not entirely confident in how the moves are slashed, so feedback in those areas is greatly appreciated. Please don't be too harsh on me, as I did this with only 3/4 of a functioning brain.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Mention hammer arm as it gets Bisharp and tyranitar harder than EQ. It also answers Mega Kang well. Although I don't expect hammer arm to get too much usage its a nice move.

I think you should slash bullet ounch on ice beam as a lot of people already have ice type attacks and may want the priority. IMO protect on Metagross is important. EQ also doesn't seem too neccessary.

Also I think bulky attack with AV or lum and a trick room variant could be used. Non mega Metagross of course

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Assault Vest is a slashed item on Metagross, I also think there should be a slash on Protect as well (I would slash BP and Hammer Arm here while keeping there first slashing also).

I personally think AVgross should be in OO or have its own set personally, since it functions a bit differently than the mega.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH, I'd arrange the sets as follows:
  1. Offensive Mega (Metagrossite)
  2. Offensive (Lum Berry)
  3. Bulky Mega (Metagrossite)
  4. Assault Vest (Assault Vest)
OR
  1. Offensive Mega (Metagrossite)
  2. Offensive (Lum Berry)
  3. Bulky Mega (Metagrossite)
(probably the former, but I need to test AV more before I say anything decisive personally)

The reason I say to do this is because M-Meta needs very different sets from non-mega variants due to its drammatically lower speed and somewhat different bulk, as well as AV sets inherently requiring different spreads to take different hits.

make sure you're actually listing the mega stones lol. and mention specifics when saying 'many pokemon in the metagame'

move EQ to set details in both sets. EQ is weak without a tough claws boost or STAB, so it's only good for patching up a heatran or bisharp weakness. put zen headbutt where EQ was, as it allows megagross to hit rotom, ohko amoonguss (!), fighting types, etc.

in the bulky set, i'd like to see at least 108 speed EVs, as that allows meta to outspeed adamant landorus-t, which is super important for hitting it with ice punch and not getting EQ'd (assuming no scarf of course, which can/should be scouted for).

in both team options, give hydreigon and tyranitar mentions as well, since they have good type synergy with megagross and can help ohko aegislash and gengar while meta kills fairy-types. i'd like specific support mons mentioned as well for tailwind (talonflame, togekiss) and thunder wave (thundurus). it also works well in rain, so give politoed and ludicolo shoutouts. you have the right idea here, but i'd like specifics. also, remove mawile from the partners mentioned in the second set and replace it with sylveon for reasons that i hope are obvious.

add rock slide to OO, and remove explosion. metagross doesn't get much else lol

remove skarmory from checks/counters. specifically mention megazard-y, camerupt, volcarona and talonflame when talking about fire-types. not sure what you mean by bulky water types, list specifics. give intimidate and burns mentions, specifically from landorus-t (which can get ice punched but still threatens megagross), gyarados (who can thunder wave or mega evolve), mega manectric (Overheat), and scrafty for intimidate, and sableye, rotom-w/h and talonflame. add ghosts/darks such as bisharp, aegislash, and hydreigon, and mention sucker punch here too from mega mawile and kang (though those two can't OHKO at +0, they can still take a hit and 2HKO).

most of these problems were you not being specific!!! so if you write another analysis, be sure to be specific with stuff. i'll probably stamp this after these changes are made :)

Cobalt314 lmk when you finish implementing changes in the future.

QC 1/2
Thanks for the QC check! Sorry about not finishing the edits yet, I've been really busy prepping for finals, but when I'm able to focus on things besides school, I'll definitely prioritize the edits.
EDIT: finally got around to editing it. Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Last edited:
Cool stuff. I'd like to see Salamence get a mention since it has pretty great defensive synergy alongside Metagross and can weaken Earthquakes / snipe Landorus-T with Draco Meteor. I'd also like to see Suicune since it carries Tailwind support and has Scald for Ground and Fire-types.

QC 2/2

lucariojr Right, sorry. I've been a bit busy, but I'll get it written up as soon as I can. I've been thinking though: since the Mega sets are nearly identical, would it be better to just fuse them into one and mention alternate EV spreads in set details?

Last edited:
sorry cobalt, this is taking way too long and metagross is too important to be left hanging. it's been literally 2 months and this still isn't done, so i'm opening metagross back up for reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)