Online Competition 2017 No Holds Barred

Fantastic list, and thank you so much for sharing your in-depth knowledge about this upcoming metagame!

I didn't see this Pokémon on your list, but I believe it deserves a nomination.

A - Mega Gengar

With one of the best Speed stats out of all the competitive Pokemon, and tied with Tapu Koko's speed stat, Gengar is easily able to revenge kill fragile and weakened foes, as well as hard checking, arguably, the most dangerous Mon in this tournament, Marshadow. And with it's amazing Special Attack along with its Speed, it can take the role as Wallbreaker, as well.

Gengar @Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- Taunt

Gengarite is the obvious choice of item for it. Taunting setup sweepers and Stealth Rock users to relieve your other Mon, Gengar can also kamikaze troubling Pokemon through utility Taunt and Destiny Bond by trapping it with Shadow Tag--after revenge killing its initial target. Sludge Bomb/Wave is powerful stab that counters the influx of the Tapus and Fairy types(albeit Magearna). Shadow Ball is a solid, spammable stab that you can use against trapped foes, and Focus Blast can work well against Darkrai counters and bulky steel types.

I don't know about Darkrai being in A. B might be its slot since they nerfed Dark Void and Nasty Plot sets are dangerous in this format. It still has incredible coverage and a good speed tier though, which fits nice with its Special Attack stat.
Yeah I was being a bit generous. B is probably more suitable

Clarification, is there any reason to level mons to 100, or are their levels automatically raised on entry to the tournament?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://pokepast.es/2a6ca3d05e6f4bfe <- this is likely what I'll be using. been really loving shuckle offense since day 1, it allows Marshadow to pretty much always sweep. zygarde+steela is the dumbest thing ever, I really like flame charge steela because with webs its really easy to just subleech things to death. subDD zygarde has been really cool too, complete forme is so naturally bulky that a lot of things struggle to break the sub which makes lefties really useful in the long run. I admittedly bashed charizard x on discord but then I started testing it over volcanion and it seems to be a great anti-meta pick, with webs support it beats all the popular mons like zygarde, celesteela, and magearna, and also helps against stall with SD + its great coverage. I've run into too many mono-normal baton pass teams (assuming it's coz Marshadows cant steal their boosts?) so I slapped quag there to try and bop them. it doesn't really do anything other than that but has been helpful against ditto teams so I don't get counter-swept. since there's a week of signups to go I figured I'd post here in case anyone had any thoughts to help me out!

http://pokepast.es/dd3de6da1af495a8 <- This is my team. Char-Y and Darkrai are the primary focus of the team as they are the heavy hitters. Trick Darkrai is also a great niche for screwing up setup Pokemon like Zygarde as well as providing a massive power boost for Darkrai's own attacks. For Magearna, I went with a more bulky spread to take advantage of its bulk as well as Assault Vest. This allows it to not be as afraid of Zygarde and tank Marshadow better. Not much to say about Mamoswine as it's just a great mon in general, although he is the setter of the team should be needed. Celebi acts as the supporter and can, surprisingly, out-tank Zygarde not running a second move. It's support options are amazing with being able to spread Paralysis with Thunder Wave and/or heal a teammate to full health with Healing Wish. U-Turn also breaks Sash and can easily screw Marshadow over to allow Darkrai or Char-Y to come in and finish the job. Speaking of Marsh, I run a standard set with Rock Tomb for the placeholder as it provides good speed control and hits Charizard hard thanks to Technician boosting its power.

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain multiple Zygarde Completes in game? Ex. If you transfer Zygardes from XY and add cells to them. I'd like to use Zygarde Complete, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a certain nature yet, especially since Zygarde may be usable in a future VGC format.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain multiple Zygarde Completes in game? Ex. If you transfer Zygardes from XY and add cells to them. I'd like to use Zygarde Complete, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a certain nature yet, especially since Zygarde may be usable in a future VGC format.
Yes. In fact, you can break down Zygardes from XY into more cells as well. Because of this, you can get an XY Zygarde Power Construct.

BTW, I plan on starting a giveaway involving an Iron Tail Zygarde Complete soon, so stay tuned!

Yes. In fact, you can break down Zygardes from XY into more cells as well. Because of this, you can get an XY Zygarde Power Construct.

BTW, I plan on starting a giveaway involving an Iron Tail Zygarde Complete soon, so stay tuned!
That's great to hear! It'll be nice to use get a chance to dust off all of these restricted Pokemon for the competition, but the lack of easy access (especially for Marshadow) is discouraging.

That's great to hear! It'll be nice to use get a chance to dust off all of these restricted Pokemon for the competition, but the lack of easy access (especially for Marshadow) is discouraging.
Not really. Just ask around and surely you'll find someone willing to give you a Marshadow. That's how I got mine on Showdown.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a certain chat room on Showdown that's best to ask in?
The wifi room would be best as they did a giveaway of over 1000 clones of Marshadow mid-July, so many users there have them. However I'll save you the hassle, if you need Marshadows then I have the Naive HP Ice and the Jolly one that were given away by that room, so slide me a PM or a VM here and we'll organise a time to trade.

e: same goes for anyone else, just shoot me a PM or a VM if you need Marshadow

Last edited:
I finnaly finished exams and I remembered this tournament. When will the registration starts and ends, I might join in this tourney since theres nothing really important to do.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For those of you who are waiting on Marshadows or whatever: you can register for the tournament now, and choose not to lock your battle box until you play. This way, if you have to get a Marshadow on say, Saturday, you can still use it! The number of allowed battles roll over, so you won't miss out on anything.

http://pokepast.es/2a6ca3d05e6f4bfe <- this is likely what I'll be using. been really loving shuckle offense since day 1, it allows Marshadow to pretty much always sweep. zygarde+steela is the dumbest thing ever, I really like flame charge steela because with webs its really easy to just subleech things to death. subDD zygarde has been really cool too, complete forme is so naturally bulky that a lot of things struggle to break the sub which makes lefties really useful in the long run. I admittedly bashed charizard x on discord but then I started testing it over volcanion and it seems to be a great anti-meta pick, with webs support it beats all the popular mons like zygarde, celesteela, and magearna, and also helps against stall with SD + its great coverage. I've run into too many mono-normal baton pass teams (assuming it's coz Marshadows cant steal their boosts?) so I slapped quag there to try and bop them. it doesn't really do anything other than that but has been helpful against ditto teams so I don't get counter-swept. since there's a week of signups to go I figured I'd post here in case anyone had any thoughts to help me out!
I went against someone named "can't say", not sure if that was you but got my ass kicked I believe, so I'm assuming twas you.

Anyways..

Day 1: 11-4

I threw in Tapu Fini(Bold) to my team late & I'm extremely happy that I did. I've won at least 5 close matches because of it, defeating offensive Deoxys, Blaziken/Mega & Marshadow twice. Also Relaxed Ferrothorn has been unbelievably helpful, saved my ass from a rain team lead by Mega Swampert. T-wave to cripple switches while being able to setup stones has been surprisingly easy to do, I'm a little confused why I don't see more people using Ferrothorn for this meta.

Weirdest teams I've encountered thus far have been an all ditto team that I was able to survive thanks to Ferrothorn, as well as a team consisting only of that rock/flying type Pokémon that looks like a mini sun/star? Forgot it's name but there was a whole lotta shellsmash action going on, managed to defeat that team with A-slash.

HOLY MOTHER OF ARCEUS, SPECTRAL THIEF BYPASSES SUBTITUTES??? WHY DO THEY LET THIS THING WEAR SCARVES???

BTW there's a crazy guy out there with 4 Kartana, a Zygarde and a Phione. Wrecked me with just the Phione.

Last edited:
The coolest team I've played to so far has been a Mega-Mane + Gyara intimidate core. The wackiest team was 6 Dragonites that was surprisingly frustrating to beat.

I'm at 10-5 for day one. Two of my losses due to misclicks but oh well
I threw in Tapu Fini(Bold) to my team late & I'm extremely happy that I did.
Bold Tapu Fini was a last minute filler addition to my team too and she's really been pulling her weight. She doesn't synergize too well with my team unfortunately but she checks so many huge meta threats that it's hard to not bring her to a lot of games.

10-5 after Day 1 which is kinda good because i literally threw together a team yesterday. Didn't think i would have the time but I'm glad i do, this one has been fun and i never play singles.

I had to battle a team of all Smeargles with Focus Sash, Spore, Lock On and Sheer Cold.

I somehow won the battle in the end, but the first few turns were like Pearl Harbour. It was a train wreck, and I may need counseling.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sitting in the high 1600s after about a days worth of games (14-15), only had two losses so far, first one was a disconnect on me as I was clicking the winning move (rip), second was against a dude who landed two sheer colds in a row to win, I literally only had to dodge one to KO his ninetales. my team feels pretty solid, I used the one I linked here earlier but swapped out Xard for Volcanion last minute because I realised how weak I was to Magearna and Ash-Greninja and it has been sick. I've brought Volc to over half my games and it's put in serious work, only letting me down against a specs Gren... hopefully I have time to get ~40 games in this weekend because I wanna take this team all the way!

Had some super weird battles already, very first battle was against 6 Mawile! The lead was sash + metal burst which took out my Volc, the 2 in the back were both scarfed, one was special attacking and the other physical so I handled them with Celesteela + Quag. I also faced a lead Murkrow (taunt, roost, feather dance, mirror move) which was literally unkillable until my Steela crit it to death. If that didn't happen he could have literally won by stalling the timer because I brought shuckle / steela / zyg lol. but that wasn't the end of the fight, I then had to stall out a physdef iapapa Zygarde + Z move Magearna with Celesteela alone, the whole fight was probably ~50-60 turns and took fucking forever.

Also been streaming with NOVED on his twitch with chemcoop Psynergy and kamikaze which was super fun. It was because of NOVED's dominance with Magearna that I decided to switch Volcanion in and shoutouts for that lol. You guys should check the videos out if you haven't already:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169590294 + https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169601108 = day 1
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169856742 = day 2 feat. the whole gang on commentary

I went against someone named "can't say", not sure if that was you but got my ass kicked I believe, so I'm assuming twas you.
lol really? do you remember what my trainer looked like or what we brought vs each other? I can't imagine many people having the same ign as me so it must have been lol. ggs I guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)