s/o Vrji for :allyswitch:
The 2v2 Doubles Council has elected to suspect test Ally Switch.
Suspect Test Reasoning:
Ally Switch has been on the radar in 2v2 Doubles for almost the entirety of its tournament scene’s existence, primarily due to its extensive pool of notable learners alongside its ability to dramatically change the outcome of a battle. A move with +2 priority that switches the user’s position with its ally, it functions quite similarly to redirection - the user can take moves meant for its ally, which can allow said ally to gain opportunities to gain a free turn to set up or attack. In a fast-paced metagame with only two pokemon such as 2v2, that can be the difference between a win or a loss.
Ally Switch and its users are much harder to prepare for than standard redirection. Unlike standard redirection moves, which users are small in number and often have their viability hinging on their use of it, Ally Switch has a plethora of great users such as Cinderace, Diancie, Genesect, and Nihilego, who don’t necessarily need to run it in order to be great threats. However, unlike redirection, it does not completely protect its ally from attacks, which allows an opponent that predicts that it will be used to attempt to counteract it by changing move targets. Such counterplay is not reliable, as the opponent can predict that read and not use the move, effectively creating a 50/50 in which those are two options.
Prediction can be skillful, and generally is, but in the case of a move such as Ally Switch that has an extensive pool of Pokemon that can viably use it alongside an extreme ability to change the game in favor of a user that would otherwise lose, such skill is put into question. You can’t ignore the possibility of your opponent having it because of the reasons mentioned prior, which leads to more guesswork. “Do they have it? And if so, will they use it or will they not?” While Ally Switch is not impossible to counteract with the likes of moves such as Fake Out, specific teambuilding, and hard prediction, such things can be suspect.
Suspect Test Information
- Reading this is mandatory to participate in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 77 with at least 25 games played.
- You must use a fresh account that begins with the given prefix for this suspect test. That prefix is 2vAL. For example, I could signup and qualify with the name 2vAL Mubs.
- Ally Switch will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
- The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Thursday, February 11th (11:59 pm EST).
- Upon meeting requirements to vote, post the proof in this thread. Feel free to also use this thread as a means to disseminate topical opinions regarding whether or not Ally Switch should be banned.
- It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured).
The actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary. Also, with the new changes to the Tiering Contributor badge, this suspect will count for it.
Thats all from me. Tagging The Immortal for the suspect notice.
Have fun laddering!