Bug Reports v3 [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Introduction
This thread is specifically for reporting Pokémon Showdown bugs with battle mechanics or chat commands.

If you have a different issue, there is probably another thread somewhere related to that topic:
Want to ask a question and not report a bug? Use the Simple Question Simple Answer thread.
Having trouble connecting to the main server? Use the Technical Support thread.
Want to request a feature? Use the Suggestions thread.
If your bug is about the Damage Calculator, it has its own dedicated thread.
If your issue is with the current-gen sprites, check the Model Fixing thread.
Got a really terrible Random Battle set? Report it in the Singles or Doubles thread.

In all cases, be sure to read the first post of the thread you're posting in!

Rules
Before reporting a bug,
  • Check the lists of Not Bugs and Known Bugs below.
  • Look up the relevant Pokemon/moves/Abilities/items on the PSdex and the first post of the Smogon Research thread. If neither source explains the behaviour you saw, consider asking about it in the Help room. If no one there can explain it, feel free to post the bug here.
  • Make sure your opponent's Pokemon isn't Zorua or Zoroark.
  • Depending on the situation, save a replay (the
    replay.png
    button, or alternately the "/savereplay" command) or take a screenshot to include in your post
  • Make sure no one has reported this bug on, say, the last page or two of the thread. No one expects you to go through the whole thread, but it's kind of ridiculous when three posts in a row report the same problem.
  • Make sure this bug exists on the official server, with no custom styles enabled.
If you are posting a large screenshot, please put HIDE tags around it. [HIDE]a screenshot[/HIDE]

Known Mechanics Bugs

NOT BUGS

- Air Lock and Cloud Nine do not actually end weather or prevent weather from beginning, just stop its effects while the Pokemon is active.
- Hypnosis, Sand Attack, Glare, Eerie Impulse, and Gastro Acid can hit Dark, Flying, Ghost, Ground, and Steel types, respectively. The only Status move that checks type immunity is Thunder Wave.
- Sheer Force prevents the user's Life Orb recoil and Shell Bell recovery, as well as the target's Color Change, Emergency Exit, Pickpocket, Wimp Out, Red Card, Eject Button, Kee Berry, and Maranga Berry from activating only when using moves that have a secondary effect removed by Sheer Force.
- Speed Boost does not activate on the turn you switch in: yes, this is different from most other abilities/items that activate at the end of a turn.
- If Fake Out didn't cause a flinch, your opponent probably had Shield Dust or Inner Focus, or your Pokemon had Sheer Force.
- Wish doesn't take effect if the Pokemon in its place faints the turn it would've healed it.
- Wonder Guard is not an immunity: Shedinja is not immune to Ground: it takes damage from Spikes. Shedinja is not immune to Poison: it is still affected by Toxic
- That Pokemon taking incorrect hazard damage is probably a Zoroark (which is a Dark, not a Bug, lolololol)
- Payback boosts damage for moving second, whether or not damage was taken. Also, since Gen 5, its power is not doubled if the opponent switches.
- Pursuit will deal double damage immediately before any switch-out, as long as Pursuit has not been used at regular priority yet. This includes U-turn and Volt Switch, but not Baton Pass.
- Sucker Punch fails if the target uses a faster priority move.
- Illusion, Air Balloon, Destiny Bond, Wonder Guard, etc only take effect if the damage was from a move, not an indirect effect such as entry hazards, Poison damage, etc.
- Destiny Bond lasts until the move user makes another move (or would've made another move, if not for confusion or Truant or a similar effect).
- Focus Sash and Sturdy affect all move damage (including static damage moves like Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter).
- Outrage/Thrash/Petal Dance can be stopped during effect and not cause confusion if Protect/Detect is used on the second turn of a three-turn duration.
- If the user faints from Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet damage, Rapid Spin does not remove hazards, and Knock Off does not remove the target's item.
- Since Gen 5, a Flying-type Pokemon holding Iron Ball takes neutral damage from Ground-type moves regardless of its other type(s), unless another effect is also grounding it.
- Roost removes the user's Flying type for the rest of the turn only if the user was successfully healed.
- A status condition remains on a Pokemon even if it later gains a typing that makes it immune to that status condition.
- Doom Desire/Future Sight do not get boosts from the user's item or Ability if the user is not active when the move hits.

ALSO NOT BUGS (XY Mechanics)
- Arceus is affected by Trick or Treat and Forest's Curse.
- The turn a Pokemon Mega Evolves, its place in turn order is decided before Mega Evolution actually happens. Thus, Mega Banette's Prankster will only be effective after the first turn, while a Chlorophyll Venusaur will still be likely to move first under sun the turn it Mega Evolves. This idea also applies to previous gens: e.g. in Doubles, if a Pokemon is paralyzed by a foe, its turn order won't be affected that turn.
- Ghosts cannot be trapped by any means.
- When used by a Poison type, Toxic has a No Guard-like effect, never missing even during semi-invulnerable turns.
- Powder moves, as well as the Effect Spore Ability, don't affect Pokemon with the Grass type, the Overcoat Ability, or Safety Googles.
- Sound moves, as well as the Infiltrator Ability, bypass substitutes.

EVEN MORE NOT BUGS (SM Mechanics)
- Dark types are immune to Status moves used by opposing Pokemon with Prankster.
- Unlike Gen 6, turn order is now decided after Mega Evolution, so, for example, Mega Pinsir will act on its 105 base Speed the turn it Mega Evolves rather than the turns after.
- Terrains only benefit grounded Pokemon. For example, Celesteela would still be hit by priority moves under the effects of Psychic Terrain.

NOT BUGS 3.0 (SS Mechanics)
- Weight-based moves (Heavy Slam, Low Kick, etc.) fails when used against a dynamaxed target.
- Heavy-Duty Boots is a held item that negate all hazards, so Pokémon using this won't take Stealth Rock damage or get poisoned by Toxic Spikes.

There are three types of damage: Move damage, residual damage, and direct damage.

Most abilities, moves, and items that affect damage will only affect one type of damage: either move damage or residual damage. There are zero effects that apply to direct damage. The only effect that applies to both move and residual damage is Heatproof.

Examples of move damage:
- damage dealt, during a move that hits, to the target(s) of a Physical or Special move
- includes static damage: Final Gambit, Seismic Toss, SonicBoom, and Counter
- does not include the secondary target of Flame Burst (which would be residual damage)

Examples of direct damage:
- hurting yourself in confusion
- damaging yourself during Substitute, Curse, Belly Drum, or Struggle (but not the damage to your opponent, if applicable)
- does NOT include other forms of recoil (which would be residual damage)

Examples of residual damage:
- all other damage
- includes recoil, poison/burn, Leech Seed, weather, hazards, damage from abilities, damage from items...

Things that affect move damage only:
- Wonder Guard
- Sturdy, Focus Sash, Focus Band, Endeavor
- Illusion, Balloon, Destiny Bond

Things that affect residual damage only:
- Magic Guard
- most other effects only affect specific types of residual damage, such as: Poison Heal (poison damage), Rock Head (recoil damage)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentioning two bugs from the last thread that haven't been fixed afaik:

- Metronome (item) causes moves called by Metronome (move) to increase in power on successive uses regardless of the move called. This is definitely not correct ingame behaviour: the item is supposed to track the move called by another move, not the move actually used. (For instance, alternating Nature Power and Thunderbolt while under Electric Terrain should cause the boost to increase.) The item is currently banned on the Metronome ladder because of this.

- Shell Bell heals a percentage of recoil damage when used with a recoil move, not the damage actually dealt.

/dt metronome shows the move first, then the item, but the metadata or whatever you'd like to call it that is normally below a move shows up below the item

At turn 5 of this match, a MysteryBerry is activated but the text still says the enemy restored PP using a Leppa Berry. This also happens in an actual Gen 2 fight (see below)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-747061560

EDIT: Did a test match to confirm and found another issue. The hover preview thinks it restores to 10 PP like a Leppa too, or at least I'm assuming that's what it's doing when it sets PP to max. In reality it only restores to 5 PP.

1526266595068.png

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-747063702

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Mentioning two bugs from the last thread that haven't been fixed afaik:

- Metronome (item) causes moves called by Metronome (move) to increase in power on successive uses regardless of the move called. This is definitely not correct ingame behaviour: the item is supposed to track the move called by another move, not the move actually used. (For instance, alternating Nature Power and Thunderbolt while under Electric Terrain should cause the boost to increase.) The item is currently banned on the Metronome ladder because of this.

- Shell Bell heals a percentage of recoil damage when used with a recoil move, not the damage actually dealt.
At turn 5 of this match, a MysteryBerry is activated but the text still says the enemy restored PP using a Leppa Berry. This also happens in an actual Gen 2 fight (see below)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-747061560

EDIT: Did a test match to confirm and found another issue. The hover preview thinks it restores to 10 PP like a Leppa too, or at least I'm assuming that's what it's doing when it sets PP to max. In reality it only restores to 5 PP.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-747063702
All of these should be fixed next update. In Mystery Berry's case, both a server and client update.

From before, still unfixed:

-The sim is allowing Pikachu (without the original hat), Clefairy, and Jigglypuff to exist at level 1, when this shouldn't be possible (an egg will always hatch as Pichu, Cleffa, or Igglybuff, and evolving it means leveling up to at least 2). Jynx, Electabuzz, and Magmar have the opposite problem: they normally evolve at level 30, and the sim assumes that's the only way to obtain them, but they can be found elsewhere at lower levels without having to go through Smoochum/Elekid/Magby stage. Wild Jynx is available at level 9, Electabuzz at 15 (but it has to be at least 25 if it wants the clover), and Magmar at 14 (but 16 if it wants the clover).

-Sheer Force is supposed to give a power boost to Clangorous Soulblaze, at the cost of not giving the stat boosts.

-If a Pokemon with 0 Speed uses Gyro Ball, the in-game damage formula seems to freak out and reset the damage to 0 (which of course gets bumped up to 1 later) treats it as a move with exactly 1 base power regardless of the opponent's speed, rather than crashing entirely for a division by 0.

-If an Illusion user differs in level from the Pokemon it's trying to disguise as, it is supposed to show up as its own actual level. In-game, Gladion is a championship challenger who has a L68 Zoroark and a L70 Silvally; if you ever see him send out a "L68 Silvally", you know the jig is up right then and there.

Demo of current sim behavior: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-747351110

Last edited:
In this Gen 2 battle when I selected Struggle it gave me the "Pokemon has no moves left" text from later gens, and I could cancel and reselect to make the text show up multiple times. I was testing some more MysteryBerry stuff but I don't think that would affect it.

On the other side of the match, the text didn't show up at all which is like how the games do it.
1526327883335.png
1526327904692.png

This replay uploaded from the Struggling side does not show the "Pokemon has no moves left" text.

It does say "It reduced the PP of the opposing egg's healbell by 4!", so I think healbell should be replaced with "Heal Bell".

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-747389332

EDIT: Also Spite can make it appear as though you have negative PP on the hover display. Also tested in Gen 2 OU with MysteryBerry used in the match
1526328412142.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-747393877

EDIT 2: Sketch failed to Sketch Rain Dance for some reason. Sketch isn't able to copy moves? Never mind, it just always fails in link battles. Could be clearer though, it doesn't say anything about this on PS/Smogon's move page.

Last edited:
1526333490370.png

I assume this should say 'in a tournament' or 'in a tournament in ubers' or something of the sort and not "in ubers", I understand this may be intended, but posting just incase

Today I was playing a Gen 7 Random Doubles battle, and the opposing Kangaskan-mega used sucker punch on my Cofargrigus. As expected, Cofargrigus' ability mummy made kangaskan-mega's ability become mummy as well. However, both hits of the sucker punch did the same damage (or very similar), rather than the second hit being at 0.25x power. I managed to reproduce it by playing against myself, in this replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-747539269

It appears that changing Kangaskan-mega's ability mid-attack messes up the damage calculation.

Last edited:
Still unfixed Bugs regarding Doom Desire I mentioned in the old thread:
  • Normalize is supposed to change Doom Desire's type to normal if the user stays in until it hits. However, on Showdown, it doesn't change its type in this situation.
  • Doom Desire should get the Adaptabimity boost if the user is in the battle the turn Doom Desire hits, but on Showdown, it doesn't.

Met a bug on Random Double which applied destiny bond's effect to the wrong pokemon.

To see on following replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-747813987
Turn 8 : My Minun use encore on wobuffet
Opp Wobuffet use Destiny bond (as result of the encore)
My Togekiss get Destiny bond "buff"
Turn 9 : My Togekiss attack (doesn't remove Destiny bond "buff"
Opp chandelure attack, KOing my Togekiss
Opp chandelure is made KO as a result of destiny bond.

When Aegislash uses a z move, in game the z animation begins before stance change does. But on ps, Stance change activates before the z move animation begins. Not a big deal, but it's a bug nonetheless and shouldn't be difficult to fix.

Breakneck Blitz displays in move selector that it is affected by pixilate, aerilate (likely galvanize and refrigerate as well); however it is not affected by these abilities, and the calculations reflect the unaffected damage calculation. E.g. After 'z power' box is selected, frustration will appear as a fairy move with 192 bp, whereas it will be calculated as a 160 bp normal move. This example is from AAA, apologies for ridiculous snapshot
pixilates a LIAR.png

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5lc-749038833 turn 10

0- Atk Tentacool Rapid Spin vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magnemite through Reflect: 1-1 (4.5 - 4.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Possible damage amounts: (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

Now I understand that some attacks in BW can do 0 damage but I don't know enough to know if this is one of those cases. Either it is and https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc should be fixed or it isn't and the sim has this wrong.

Hi, I came across a weird glitch with the ability truant and recharge moves. In the Pokemon games it works like this:

1. Giga Impact
2. recharge (truant does not show)
3. Giga Impact

However, in the randoms match I played today, it worked like this:

1. Giga Impact
2. Recharge
3. Truant
4. Giga Impact

See a recreation of this bug in the link below:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-749113194

Would anyone bother looking into this?

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5lc-749038833 turn 10

0- Atk Tentacool Rapid Spin vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Magnemite through Reflect: 1-1 (4.5 - 4.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Possible damage amounts: (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

Now I understand that some attacks in BW can do 0 damage but I don't know enough to know if this is one of those cases. Either it is and https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc should be fixed or it isn't and the sim has this wrong.
This is in fact a damage calc problem; the devs have been notified. Reflect is one of the modifiers that happens after the damage has been raised to 1 in Gen 5.

Hi, I came across a weird glitch with the ability truant and recharge moves. In the Pokemon games it works like this:

1. Giga Impact
2. recharge (truant does not show)
3. Giga Impact

However, in the randoms match I played today, it worked like this:

1. Giga Impact
2. Recharge
3. Truant
4. Giga Impact

See a recreation of this bug in the link below:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-749113194

Would anyone bother looking into this?
My bad, I refactored Truant last night and it turns out "recharge" is not implemented the way I expected. Fixed!

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Reiterating and clarifying one major bug from the old thread and reporting three new minor bugs.

Major: Trapping ability (Shadow Tag / Arena Trap, etc) messages info

In-game, the trapping Ability's lock message "<Pokemon> can't be switched out!" will only display if the target has the option "Switch" when the user attempts to switch to that Pokemon. These are the three other messages possible:
  1. In Battle - this Pokemon is currently active. The message displayed is "<Pokemon> is already in battle!".
  2. Cannot Battle - this Pokemon is currently fainted. The message displayed is "<Pokemon> has no energy left to battle!".
  3. Standing By - in a double battle, the first slot has already indicated it is going to be switched to and replaced by this selected Pokemon. It would only appear for the right Pokemon slot. The message displayed is "<Pokemon> has already been selected."
In doubles, this knowledge can be used to check if an opposing Pokemon has a trapping Ability. By attempting to switch to another healthy Pokemon with the player's left slot, they can check if the "<Pokemon> can't be switched out!" displays before being obligated to lock in their move for the right slot. Although a similar test can be performed for the right slot, if that Pokemon successfully switches out, you won't have the opportunity to cancel your selection in-game. PS implements with its "you might be trapped". Here are the bugs:
  1. If a player never has any new Pokemon to switch to (2v2 formats like Metronome battle), a trapping Ability's lock message could never be displayed, as the "In Battle" message would always override it.
  2. If a player has only fainted Pokemon remaining in addition to their active Pokemon, a trapping Ability's lock message could never be displayed, as the "Cannot Battle" message would always override choosing a fainted Pokemon, and trying to switch to an active Pokemon would result in the "In Battle" message overriding it.
  3. Once the trapping Ability has been revealed on the left slot, the trap message for the right Pokemon slot should be PS's permanent "You are trapped and cannot switch!" message, if appropriate, because you have guaranteed the opponent has Shadow Tag. Additionally, if only one Pokemon on the opponent's side can potentially have Shadow Tag, Shadow Tag should be revealed as public information when you hover over that Pokemon.
In cases 1 and 2, information is leaked about the opponent's Ability that should not be available. Case 3 is more so just to be consistent with revealed trapping Ability information. Here are screenshots of the incorrect behavior:

Minor:

1. If a player never has any new Pokemon to switch to (2v2 formats like Metronome battle), a trapping Ability's lock message could never be displayed, as the "In Battle" message would always override it.
  2. If a player has only fainted Pokemon remaining in addition to their active Pokemon, a trapping Ability's lock message could never be displayed, as the "Cannot Battle" message would always override choosing a fainted Pokemon, and trying to switch to an active Pokemon would result in the "In Battle" message overriding it.
  3. Once the trapping Ability has been revealed on the left slot, the trap message for the right Pokemon slot should be PS's permanent "You are trapped and cannot switch!" message, if appropriate, because you have guaranteed the opponent has Shadow Tag. Additionally, if only one Pokemon on the opponent's side can potentially have Shadow Tag, Shadow Tag should be revealed as public information when you hover over that Pokemon.
To add onto this, this happens even if the opponent could have an ability other than Shadow Tag (like with Wobbuffet).

Also Arena Trap only affects grounded mons so you shouldn't be able to tell you're (might be) trapped if a flying/Levitating mon is in the left slot and the opponent is using Arena Trap.

1526740204392.png
1526740231325.png

EDIT: This is minor and doesn't really affect much, but the "might be trapped" message resets every turn currently even when the Pokemon haven't changed and you've confirmed you're trapped. I guess once the whole bug is fixed it'll be fine.

1526740663926.png

1526740724468.png
1526740734070.png

Last edited:
1526744913027.png

When I choose one of the forms of Flabébé in LC, the icons replaces ? and it does not show Pokémon, Ability and Stats when I click on it. Edit: I still am a bit unsure if this is a legit post.

Last edited:

pqs

Banned deucer.
Screenshot 2018-05-19 at 1.59.27 PM.png

When opening a ticket for a report, it leaves you with this screen, this shouldn't really be labeled as "Close after forfeiting" and "Forfeit", maybe a more appropriate approach like "Close after leaving" or "Leave". Also, if the help ticket is closed, it still shows this screen, which, is kinda weird in my eyes.
PS: I didn't know for sure if I was supposed to post this in suggestions or here. Just PM me if I need to change and I will, thanks for reading this post!

Trump Card always displays 40 BP on hover. I guess it could vary if you're in Doubles and have the choice to target someone with Pressure, but I think having it show as a blank base power would be more accurate. Actual damage seems to be fine

1526767778088.png

• If a game ends with Clangorous Soulblaze, the boosts are not applied in-game.
What about other boosting moves e.g. Power-Up Punch?
  • When Psycho Shift fails to pass its status due to the effect of a Terrain, it doesn't strictly fail; instead, the error message should be that it was protected by Misty Terrain, etc.
What if you status a Synchronise Xatu under Misty Terrain etc.?
  • If a Pokemon Encores a target into Shell Trap as the target is using a different move, the Encore should be successful and Shell Trap's regular effect should be applied. It's exactly the same as Focus Punch behavior.
Does the user of Shell Trap need to be hit? Do they need to be hit after the Encore? What if the Focus Punch user was hit before the Encore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)