Singles 3v3 General Discussion

So, all tapu are good except for Bulu, I suppose it's 'cause grass terrain gives hp to everybody, more the earthquake nerf isn't so interesting on a pokemon which has a ground resistance.

Nihilego is good? I suppose no since he (or she? Or it?) has x4 ground weakness and steel weakness. But the type looks interesting.

I'm sad seeing all 7gen pokemon are bad except for ultrabeast. They seem really something like legal uber, pheromosa is a big threat.

Sorry if I make analisys like a newbie, but my last battle was long time ago (more than a year maybe) and it's like if all my experience is gone, or maybe I never had one. Lol

So, all tapu are good except for Bulu, I suppose it's 'cause grass terrain gives hp to everybody, more the earthquake nerf isn't so interesting on a pokemon which has a ground resistance.

Nihilego is good? I suppose no since he (or she? Or it?) has x4 ground weakness and steel weakness. But the type looks interesting.
Bulu is good. Terrain boosted Wood Hammer is extremely strong coming of 130 base attack, it can also use sub-seed or bulk up with horn leech to run bulkier builds. You can also utilise the grassy terrain to protect some of your own pokemon from common eq users, for example Aegislash when against Garchomp or M-Salamence.

I think Nihilego's 103 speed and decent SpA, more so with Beast boost, means it can be used well. Great special bulk and having SR are further boons. Also a rare special attacking rock type, we have few so it may be able to fill in a few extra niche with that. Physical frailty and 4x ground weakness aren't helpful but can be accounted for.

Ok, thanks. I forgot now its terrain boosts grass move.
Somebody gives me a core with: Tapu bulu, torkoal and lilligant
But I don't remember i saw many bulu, so i asked.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More videos, this time courtesy of shadypenguinn. I don't normally post this stuff but since it's early in a generation it's good to see what everyone's trying and what they're running into etc etc
Mimikyu looks really annoying and now I'm starting to see why ethan06 and Theorymon have been hyping it up. I really like shady's team though, mostly because Bewear

His team's worse than the first video but it doesn't really matter because Tapu Koko's so good. I thought the last battle was his chance to use Dhelmise for sure but alas

NOVED when you getting a green screen?

Someone should try and get him to play out kickoff tournament lol

scarf nihilego is actually a phenomenal set for revenge killing
coverage monster that snipes the tapus, pheromosa, garchomp, among other threats
often times it either gets speed crept by other scarfers in modest or lacks power to OHKO some things with timid, which is why i run timid and use it as a revenge killer when i've already put damage into their mons

While I can't say much for it's viability and consistency, here's a core (?) I've been trying out for a few games and having a lot of fun with:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Last Resort (Extreme Evoboost)
- Substitute

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

The idea is simple, lead with Klefki to setup and find the best time for Eevee to come in. When it does, you Extreme Evoboost + Substitute Baton Pass to Slowbro for the sweep. Alternatives I have seen are Whimsicott over Klefki for Memento, and M-Kangaskhan or M-Scizor for alternatives to M-Slowbro. While I still want to focus on making a Rain Team, this might be the start of my second!

I think eevee pass is not actually as bad as people expected it to be. If you cant just straight up OHKO eevee on the turn it gets in, the game might just be over. I think some other good receivers of the stats are anything with stored power and Tapu Lele. Though, i think the best eevee spread is probably max speed timid, so eevee can outspeed pheromosa by 1 point. Pheromosa HJK OHKOs even with +2 Def so thats pretty important imo.

I think eevee pass is not actually as bad as people expected it to be. If you cant just straight up OHKO eevee on the turn it gets in, the game might just be over. I think some other good receivers of the stats are anything with stored power and Tapu Lele. Though, i think the best eevee spread is probably max speed timid, so eevee can outspeed pheromosa by 1 point. Pheromosa HJK OHKOs even with +2 Def so thats pretty important imo.
Something I only found out about yesterday, there's a new dark-type, physical version of stored power called Power Trip. It's only learnt by Krookodile, Pangoro and Primape but I think it's worth exploring with Eevee setups, particularly Krook.

Something I only found out about yesterday, there's a new dark-type, physical version of stored power called Power Trip. It's only learnt by Krookodile, Pangoro and Primape but I think it's worth exploring with Eevee setups, particularly Krook.
Wow thats pretty cool! I never heard about that. Seems like it could be even more useful than stored power users since it doesnt have any immunities.

Hulavuta this might finally be the niche Krookodile was looking for!

Yeah, baton pass eevee Z + power trip user sounds really cool. Moxie Krookodike can really have a good niche.

Anyway, GroudonEmpire too made a video about bs single. But on wifi ladder people seem not much competitive as on showdown.

Here's a core that took me to 1420+ on the Pokémon Showdown ladder twice. Variants of this are fairly common at the moment so I thought I'd post it.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body => Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
Mega Gengar traps Celesteela and Scarf Garchomp checks.
Dual STAB because you need to be able to hit opposing Celesteela and Fairy-types, which are running rampant.
Will-O-Wisp threatens common physical threats and makes it easier for Celesteela to set up Substitute and stall opponents.
Destiny Bond got nerfed but is still a very useful panic button and wallbreaking tool.
Gengar got nerfed. Mega Gengar got buffed because of the new Speed mechanics on the Mega Evolution turn.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
There are a dozen different popular variants of Celesteela at the moment. This is the one I like the most.
If you're not fast, you will lose the mirror match.
Maximized Speed also ensures that you outspeed all Magnezone unless they are Choice Scarf variants. (Modest Choice Scarf Magnezone can't OHKO you with Thunderbolt.)
Maximized HP give you 51 HP Substitutes, which can't be broken by uncommon Seismic Toss and Night Shade users.
This variant tries to boost its Speed with Beast Boost to become even more annoying and make Leech Seed "sweeps" easier.
You can move EVs from HP to another stat to get more % from Leech Seed recovery, but that makes it hard to maintain Speed as the highest stat.
Heavy Slam is a powerful and reliable STAB that threatens the common Fairy-types and Nihilego, a common Gengar check, but it can lead to very annoying Celesteela mirror matches so watch out.
Leftovers are important for the passive recovery.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk
Choice Scarf Garchomp is here because you need something to check the common Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Xurkitree.
This thing also fills important roles as a lategame cleaner and a revenge killer.
Garchomp greatly benefits when Mega Gengar and Celesteela eliminate and/or cripple opposing Fairy-types, Porygon2 and Celesteela.
Sleep Talk helps against Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree.
Fuck Stone Edge.

Last edited:
Here's a core that took me to 1420+ on the Pokémon Showdown ladder twice. Variants of this are fairly common at the moment so I thought I'd post it.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body => Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
Mega Gengar traps Celesteela and Scarf Garchomp checks.
Dual STAB because you need to be able to hit opposing Celesteela and Fairy-types, which are running rampant.
Will-O-Wisp threatens common physical threats and makes it easier for Celesteela to set up Substitute and stall opponents.
Destiny Bond got nerfed but is still a very useful panic button and wallbreaking tool.
Gengar got nerfed. Mega Gengar got buffed because of the new Speed mechanics on the Mega Evolution turn.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
There are a dozen different popular variants of Celesteela at the moment. This is the one I like the most.
If you're not fast, you will lose the mirror match.
Maximized Speed also ensures that you outspeed all Magnezone unless they are Choice Scarf variants. (Modest Choice Scarf Magnezone can't OHKO you with Thunderbolt.)
Maximized HP give you 51 HP Substitutes, which can't be broken by the uncommon Seismic Toss Chansey and other Seismic Toss and Night Shade users.
This variant tries to boost its Speed with Beast Boost to become even more annoying and make Leech Seed "sweeps" easier.
You can move EVs from HP to another stat to get more % from Leech Seed recovery, but that makes it hard to maintain Speed as the highest stat.
Heavy Slam is a powerful and reliable STAB that threatens the common Fairy-types and Nihilego, a common Gengar check, but it can lead to very annoying Celesteela mirror matches so watch out.
Leftovers are important for the passive recovery.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk
Choice Scarf Garchomp is here because you need something to check the common Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Xurkitree.
This thing also fills important roles as a lategame cleaner and a revenge killer.
Garchomp greatly benefits when Mega Gengar and Celesteela eliminate and/or cripple opposing Fairy-types, Porygon2 and Celesteela.
Sleep Talk helps against Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree.
Fuck Stone Edge.
I'm not sure how useful sleep talk would be with a choice scarf, i've not really seen that many z-hypnosis xurkitree's, and the forceful lock in to it isn't really helpful, maybe change it to Outrage and leave the first slot as Dragon Claw?

You sure are a thing guys.
The only core I thought is Tapu Koko + M-Mence + Aegislash and it's not new and I didn't even think about the sets.

I'm not sure how useful sleep talk would be with a choice scarf, i've not really seen that many z-hypnosis xurkitree's, and the forceful lock in to it isn't really helpful, maybe change it to Outrage and leave the first slot as Dragon Claw?
You certainly can get away with running both Dragon STABs and dropping Sleep Talk.
I like being able to aggressively switch into Sleep-inducers and still be able to attack.
Xurkitree is certainly not one of the most common threats on the ladder at the moment, but there are some and they are very threatening if their Z-Hypnosis hits.
Sleep Talk has saved me a few times.

PS: Running Sleep Talk on a Choice Scarf Pokémon is not unheard of, but run whatever fits your own playstyle.

So, two things that I think are going right under everybody's radar right now: Comfey and Pyukumuku. Now, I'm not claiming they're some hot, hot stuff but they definitely have potential.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak
- Counter

Pyukumuku is the one thing that makes everybody think twice before going for the kill. I admit that I greatly underestimated this thing at 1st. But oh boy, it was just hilarious to see some dude get his Mega Lucario to +6 and not make a single aggresive move towards Pyukumuku. The irony is that Innards Out, the ability everybody is so afraid of, isn't even the ability I'm running nor is superior to Unaware as the ability of choice imo.

Now about the set: I haven't played around with calcs yet, so I'm just running your standard max HP/max SpD EV spread, but I'm sure there is a more efficient spread out there, I just haven't had the time to come up with one myself. Soak sounds weird, but it is actually very helpful, not only does it remove STAB from things like Mega Lucario ( which could basically turn a 50/50 on a 2HKO into an guaranteed 3HKO against Pyukumuku ), but it also allows Pyukumuku to Toxic stall steel types, to which Pykumuku has nothing for otherwise. Everything else is pretty self explanatory.

Pykumuku really struggles with anything that's packing a Substitute, though.

---------------------------------------------------

Up next is Comfey.

Comfey @ ?????
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss

+3 priority, that's all I need to say about it. Bulk is mediocre at best though, so it can't really take anything very well ( Again, I haven't ran calcs yet so I'm even less confident on its bulk ) but, bro: +3 priority. Calm Mind patches up the special side whist boosting a +3 priority Draining Kiss. It probably won't be OHKO'ing stuff like Mega Lucario, but it can at the very least pick a weakened one up before being bopped by a Adaptability Bullet Punch like most fairy-types, which is really nice imo. Physical is somewhat patched up with Max EVs investment, but I still wouldn't switch it head on into a physical attack...

It's really niche-y and mono-attacking set is far from being the best thing ever, but I think it's usable and I totally wasn't expecting that from this pokemon.

Anyways, I seldom link low-ladder replays because the playerbase is usually unexperienced or teams aren't polished enough yet ( which is the case for me ), but for illustration purposes I think this one is good enough.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-483109787

^^^ Pyukumuku and Comfey putting some really solid work, Pyukumuku moreso than Comfey though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotsingles-483115721

^^ this one is really just for shits and giggles.

If anything, this post is at least reinforcing the importance of always bringing at least 1 Substitute and/or Priority user with you to battle.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the following pokemons in the current meta?

- Mega Salamence
- Mega Kangaskhan
- Mega Lucario
- Mega Gengar

If this type of post if not allowed, I apologize.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I finally got my in cart team ready for laddering, so now I can play the "real" metagame so to speak! So far, it seems fairly similar to the metagame on Showdown however, aka lots of Aegislash and Steel-types in general.

Something I did see on cart that has potential however: I faced a high ranked Japanese player that was using Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz seems like an interesting anti-metagame pick at the moment. With Taunt and Foul Play, it owns the common Celesteela + Marowak-A combo thats going around at the moment. It also does a damn good job at checking all the Aegislash that we are infested with currently. Of course, it has problems with Tapu Koko, but ironically a Marowak of your own might do good against that!

How does AoA Alolan Raichu + Tapu Koko + Pelliper look in Battle Spot Singles? Raichu can outspeed everything under Electric Terrain and has the coverage to destroy Celesteela + Marowark. I've never touched in-game play before, but the core works well in OU so it might work well here. Garchomp and Mega Salamence could be problems for Raichu, but you could just choose to use Kingdra instead of Raichu whenever you see them in Team Preview.

How does AoA Alolan Raichu + Tapu Koko + Pelliper look in Battle Spot Singles? Raichu can outspeed everything under Electric Terrain and has the coverage to destroy Celesteela + Marowark. I've never touched in-game play before, but the core works well in OU so it might work well here. Garchomp and Mega Salamence could be problems for Raichu, but you could just choose to use Kingdra instead of Raichu whenever you see them in Team Preview.
AoA Alolan Raichu is pretty bad tbh. Sky high speed is irrelevant if it doesn't have the offensive stats to actually do something with it and thus an unboosted Raichu ( Assuming we're talking about Life Orb here ) isn't making waves, no matter how fast it is. It doesn't even guarantee the OHKO on unisvested A-Marowak if it isn't holding Specs.

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 127-151 (94 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO.

Haven't seen Pelipper at all on cart tbh, probably because Drizzle is a really sharp double-edged sword that could benefit both players if they're running Tapu-Koko, not just you. And that basically turns Pelipper into somewhat of a liability.

Last edited:
AoA Alolan Raichu is pretty bad tbh. Sky high speed is irrelevant if it doesn't have the offensive stats to actually do something with it and thus an unboosted Raichu ( Assuming we're talking about Life Orb here ) isn't making waves, no matter how fast it is. It doesn't even guarantee the OHKO on unisvested A-Marowak if it isn't holding Specs.

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 127-151 (94 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO.

Haven't seen Pelipper at all on cart tbh, probably because Drizzle is a really sharp double-edged sword that benefits both players if they're running Tapu-Koko, not just you. And that basically turns Pelipper into somewhat of a liability.
Wouldn't you run Surf over Shadow Ball? Or is that not legal on cart? I was assuming Thunder/Surf/Psychic/Focus Blast... And how does your rain benefit opposing Koko's in any way?
Sorry if I'm missing something here, I don't want to get the thread off-track about supposedly unviable mons.

Wouldn't you run Surf over Shadow Ball? Or is that not legal on cart? I was assuming Thunder/Surf/Psychic/Focus Blast... And how does your rain benefit opposing Koko's in any way?
Sorry if I'm missing something here, I don't want to get the thread off-track about supposedly unviable mons.
Surf isn't legal on BSS. That's an exclusive move to an event-only Pikachu that can evolve into Alolan-Raichu, and you can't even get that before the Bank rolls in. And I dunno, a rogue Thunder? But yeah got a point there, this is hardly ever happening. Still, if there's another Tapu-Koko on team preview you're not leading up with Pelipper and will have to fall back for sure on a strat other than Thunder and Hurricane spam, and considering how popular Tapu-Koko is, I'd imagine Pelipper would have a rough time doing its job so you might as well replace it for something else that is more consistent.

I see that core like Torkoal+Lilligant+Tapu Bulu.
Works better in Vgc.
On bss I think it's an hard and slow strategy, even cause your opponent can change terrain and then he has a free attack since you have to switch in Koko again, or let raichu taking a hit when probably he can't survive.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I finally have time to post. Overall I'm really loving this meta, although it's all gonna change pretty soon.

Aegislash is as good as everyone says, although I don't think it's quite as hard to beat now. Gen 6 definitely was highly physically oriented but now with the Tapus and some Ultra Beasts we've got a lot of special attacking powerhouses. Pretty cool to see actually. The meta seems pretty fast paced to me.

Awesome to see that Garchomp is still as amazing as ever. I'm really like Focus Sash on Garchomp so far, just makes it a great check to a lot of stuff, especially Tapu Koko and Xurkitree and such. Just a good insurance mon. I started using Garchomp a lot more in the last few weeks of ORAS, and I'm pretty fond of it now. It really continues to impress me with its insane consistency, it's a good Pokemon in every generation it's in. Wonder if it's going to be still rank 1 this gen. But I think there will always be demand for a fast Ground-type.

Tapu Lele is the best. Just the best in every way, what a great Pokemon. Can't wait to start building some teams around it, Psychic is my favorite type so it's cool to see it having a great support mon. Just wish it got Trick Room, but I guess it can't be perfect.

Wow thats pretty cool! I never heard about that. Seems like it could be even more useful than stored power users since it doesnt have any immunities.

Hulavuta this might finally be the niche Krookodile was looking for!
Sadly, as much as I still want Krookodile to be good (and we still didn't get the quadruped crocodile Pokemon I wanted this gen...) I don't think this changes anything. I don't think Krookodile will really get a chance to set up, and with all the Fairies running around I think Dark-types in general are going to have a hard time. Maybe a Smash Pass or Eevee Pass set could work though...but really at that point any sweeper is good. Worth a shot though, nobody wants Krookodile to do well more than me!

Sadly, as much as I still want Krookodile to be good (and we still didn't get the quadruped crocodile Pokemon I wanted this gen...) I don't think this changes anything. I don't think Krookodile will really get a chance to set up, and with all the Fairies running around I think Dark-types in general are going to have a hard time. Maybe a Smash Pass or Eevee Pass set could work though...but really at that point any sweeper is good. Worth a shot though, nobody wants Krookodile to do well more than me!
Yeah I didn't mean krook setting up himself, mostly just as a recipient in eevee pass teams. Stored Power with no immunity seems good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)