5 Bulks & a Crobat V. 1 - My first go at Gen 6

So this is my first RMT this generation and I have no idea what I'm doing!
Ive been away from the game for a while so I don't know what the current big threats are or what new moves are available that I haven't even thought of yet! Any help would be much appreciated!

Also... yes I know... Flygons not any more bulky then my Crobat... I just liked the name :P

Crobat@ChoiceBand
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 atk / 252 spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Cross Poison
-U-turn
-Hypnosis / Defog (?)

My lead going in, depending on what my opponent brings out first I can stay in and hit hard or u-turn out into one of my big guys to take the hit and go from there. He's always been a great Scout for me and people are usually surprised by how well this guy can pack a punch. With Ferries being weak to poison, I'm hoping his adamant nature will help to 1 hit knock out these guys. Not sure if Defog or Hypnosis would be more useful??

Venusaur @Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow --> Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 124 sp. def / 124 def / 8 spD
Calm Nature
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb

My very first pokemon back in the day! Glad to see him get a much needed boost with his mega evolution. Pretty standard set from what I can see.

Metagross@Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk/ 28 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash

This guy can take a punch and dish one out just as bad. Goal is to get him in, set up rocks and then use when necessary.

SuicuneLeftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 hp / 252 speed / 252 sp. atk
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

I use to run this set back in heart gold with hydro pump where Scold is. This way I can hopefully get the burn and pester with sleep talk and added calm minds/attacks.

Flygon@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 spe
Jolly Nature
-U-turn
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Toxic

This guy is my back up Scout and heavy hitter to deal with other dragons/steel types that may pop up.
I know Garchomp is probably a better option but I like that he has levitate and you don't seem him too often. Not sure if toxic is necessary twice or is there's something else new I should have in that place?

Heatran@Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 HP / 168 sped / 212 Sp. Atk
Modest Nature
-Magma Storm
-Toxic
-Protect
-Taunt

Last but not least Heatran! This guy can trap your blisseys and what not, then continue to be a pest with leftovers/protect/toxic stalling.

I've only done this once before so you'll have to excuse me if I made any whacky choices!
Your help is honestly MUCH appreciated and I'm open to suggestions changes!

Last edited:
If you're going with a Choice band flyer, then Staraptor is a much more vicious wall breaker than crobat. You do lose speed, but the gain in raw power from Staraptor's ludicrously strong brave birds makes it worth it. You can also use talonflame, whose priority makes him great against prankster leads, although if you use talonflame I suggest the life orb swords dance variant. Crobat isn't a terrible mon, it's just that you can get more power or speed from the more relevant flying threats.

The other replacement would be to swap flygon for scarf garchomp. This is a clear cut case of garchomp just being a completely superior scarf sweeper in almost every way.

Finally, consider swapping suicune for rotom-wash, which gives you more utility (since you don't have to use 2 slots on rest talk), while still giving respectable bulk.

Metagross got nerfed pretty hard with the steel type nerf, but is still serviceable. Venosaur looks fine too. For heatran, I would swap toxic for will-o-wisp and protect for roar. You don't have any phasing on your team, so the addition of roar is pretty essential. And since that means you are dropping protect, you might as well drop toxic (I'm not a huge fan of toxic stall unless the team is really dedicated to it, which this team clearly is not). Hope some of these help!

assaulr vest boosts your spdef x1.5,but disables any non-attacking moves. stealth rock is a mont-attacking move, and therefore cannot be used. I would recommend switching to leftovers, or switching to zen headbutt

Fixed :)

Again, Ive just played the campaign, no idea what I'm doing! my apologies on the spelling errors!
Could you clarify why stealth rock and assault vest doesn't work? I'm here for your wisdom! >_<
Lol... sorry... couldn't help with a bit of "hazing." Welcome to Mean RMT Forum.

Anyways... what Oranos said earlier is really what you should take in.

What I would say is lurk in the OverUsed Forum for advice on pokemon, items and, in general, solid gaming advice. Follow guys who make solid arguments and can carry intelligent conversation and you will be fine.

Not saying its gonna happen overnight (unless your a prodigy) but with enough reps you get a better understanding of why certain things work and others, though probably admirable from an originality standpoint, aren't gonna work.

P.S. Like Flygon, he was one of my fav Gen 3 mons, but fact of the matter is Garchomp came, shined his OU Heavyweight belt, turned it sideways, and stuck it straight up Flygon's roody-poo candy a$$. I even got my post deleted in OU viability simply cause I mentioned that he is one of a handful of dragons that can use U-Turn as a possible niche with a reason from the mod being "flygon sucks in OU." So yea, sorry about that.

Lol... sorry... couldn't help with a bit of "hazing." Welcome to Mean RMT Forum.

Anyways... what Oranos said earlier is really what you should take in.

What I would say is lurk in the OverUsed Forum for advice on pokemon, items and, in general, solid gaming advice. Follow guys who make solid arguments and can carry intelligent conversation and you will be fine.

Not saying its gonna happen overnight (unless your a prodigy) but with enough reps you get a better understanding of why certain things work and others, though probably admirable from an originality standpoint, aren't gonna work.

P.S. Like Flygon, he was one of my fav Gen 3 mons, but fact of the matter is Garchomp came, shined his OU Heavyweight belt, turned it sideways, and stuck it straight up Flygon's roody-poo candy a$$. I even got my post deleted in OU viability simply cause I mentioned that he is one of a handful of dragons that can use U-Turn as a possible niche with a reason from the mod being "flygon sucks in OU." So yea, sorry about that.

*sigh* Yeah... Im starting to get that feeling about Flygon... Other then Garchomp, is there anyone else you'd recommend switching him with? Just based on who I have so far or what I'd be missing?

Noted on the OU forum directions, I'm gonna set up camp in there for the next little while and see what I can learn.

Zen Head Butt is what I originally had on Metagross but Stealth Rock seems to come up in every conversation I read these days so I threw it on there. Should I put them on someone else? are they completely essential to a team? Or is that a stupid question? :)

Thanks again guys!

*sigh* Yeah... Im starting to get that feeling about Flygon... Other then Garchomp, is there anyone else you'd recommend switching him with? Just based on who I have so far or what I'd be missing?

Noted on the OU forum directions, I'm gonna set up camp in there for the next little while and see what I can learn.

Zen Head Butt is what I originally had on Metagross but Stealth Rock seems to come up in every conversation I read these days so I threw it on there. Should I put them on someone else? are they completely essential to a team? Or is that a stupid question? :)

Thanks again guys!
It really depends on your team, if your looking for Balance, then I would lean towards having Stealth Rock on your team.

Including Oranos suggestions your team consists of:

Choice Band Staraptor - Your Wallbreaker
Choice Scarf Garchomp - Your Revenge Killer
Mega Venusaur - Your Mega and Special Defense Wall
Chesto Berry Rotom-W - Your Physical Wall w/ Will-o-Wisp for status
Leftovers Heatran - Special Attacker
Assault Vest Metagross - Physical Attacker with Special Defense Bulk

In terms of typing, you have a pretty strong team. I believe the problem in lies with accomodating AV Metagross when he can be hit for SE Damage from Ghost and Dark attacks. Ghost Attacks are Shadow Ball Aegislash and Dark Attacks are Knock Off Conkeldurr, two very impactful mons in the OU Metagame.

If your gonna run Metagross he needs to run a moveset of:

- Bullet Punch/ Meteor Mash (Preferrably BP for Priority)
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Rockslide hits Talonflame and Staraptor. Bullet Punch hits Fairies and weakended foes. Zen Headbutt for Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr and Earthquake for Heatran and Aegislash.

In the end, you will have answers for many mons, but they will have just as many. CB Talonflame Flare Blitz, Aegislash Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball, Conkeldurr Knock Off, Heatran Lava Plume, Mega Venusaur Earthquake if you catch my drift.

The real challenge is that if you want Stealh Rock, your going to have to either make Heatran your Stealh Rocker, which is doable with Tran's many resistances/immunities, but then your applying stress onto him to fulfill two roles.

Overused Forum has Stealth Rock as a thread, read it up and look at who you think would work for your team.

Otherwise, keep grinding. You will figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)