National Dex A Balanced Team For Nat Dex

I've played with this team quite a bit, I certainly am enjoying it, but I am struggling a lot against stall. I am certainly not the best player, but i've put more time into this time than any other's ive used before and would love some pointers on this team.

The point of the team is to wear the other team down with Fini and Kommo-o, looking for opportunities to bring in Volc or Metagross to either sweep or break walls. Clef can keep the team healthy, Fini can keep status off them, and Ninja can clean for the team.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Whirlpool
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Pretty basic, but its the backbone of the team. Fast Taunt helps against stall and entry hazards, and while hazards aren't a massive problem for the team its better than nothing. Nature's Madness chunks switch ins and helps set up opportunities for the rest of the team, Moonblast is just stab, and whirlpool can trap things, although other water moves are much stronger, the ability to trap some stall can really help, scald always felt a little weird since you can't burn in the terrain. Misty surge helps every single member of the team, immunity to status' are a godsend for my team. She forms a pretty good fairy, dragon, steel core with Kommo-o and Metagross but they aren't perfect, mostly lacking in EQ resist. I feel she is very overworked in stall matches, trying to keep up misty terrain and taunts, and preserving health to stall with whirlpool. But outside of that she helps the whole team do their jobs.

Kommo-o (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Defense

I've gained a ton of respect for Kommo-o from this set, bulletproof protects Metagross from shadowballs, and sludge bombs from Fini. I have seen quite a few sound focused pokemon, but I prefer bulletproof still. I tried out a few other moves including taunt and dragon tail in the last slot and while they all have been alright, iron defense gives her so much power both defensively and offensively its hard to take off. I have been considering removing earthquake, as it does threaten some pokemon, but with no attack investment its really a sad earthquake, but without it it leaves her high and dry against ghost types. While she can kill chansey, she is absolutely walled by Pex.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

This is the set I am least confident in, while she certainly has a lot of power behind her hits, I often find her a little underwhelming in situations where I really need her to pull through. Meteor mash and Hammer arm have come through a lot, just powering through teams. But the other two moves have either felt underwhelming or just useless. Pursuit feels gimmicky, but bullet punch didn't feel as impact as I wanted. Everyone knows to keep their Pex away from the zen headbutt, and between many different physical walls, metagross just can't handle breaking through them reliably. And even outside of stall she still feels unbalanced, preforming more like a revenge killer rather than a wallbreaker.

Volcarona (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Volcarona used to be scared of rocks, but now really only fears status', and with misty terrain it really helps her get a lot of opportunities to set up, and if answers have been taken care of she can tear up whole teams. Roost gives her a ton of longevity and chances to just prod at their defenses, but again, gets super walled by stall, and with little to no way to punish switches, other than crossing your fingers for burns or sp. def drops. Roost also helps take some work away from Celf, letting her focus on healing the core above.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Another pokemon that works amazingly well in anything that isn't stall. She has unaware to stop set up sweepers and not be totally passive, I have had way more success with this physical variant than the special one. And while magic guard is good, misty terrain once more can help her out there. Even when used as just a pivot she can bring in Volcarona or Ninja super easily with teleport. And help the main core regain health.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Another really really basic set, but I think it works. I needed a fast hard hitting cleaner/revenge killer and he checks all the marks. Priority, very high power hydro, and spikes to punish easy switches. But in stall, she is so frail its hard to get a k-o or survive enough hits to start breaking through. In non-stall games spikes feel really hard to use, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing, the other moves are more than enough for his role in the team.

paste bin: https://pokepast.es/70a3056077032189

So I guess in summary, Metagross' set feels weird, Volcarona and Celf are sorta useless vs stall but assets outside of that, and Fini is always a little overworked but in stall is very very overworked.

Also thank you so much for looking for my team!!!

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
so for metagross, usually i would say give it mash, zen headbutt, ice punch/tpunch, eq. the team cant break heatran super easily it looks like so the eq pressure is usually a given. tpunch is to hit bro and corv while ice punch hits gliscor, chomp, and lando mainly so you can pick in that department. pursuit isnt rlly necessary on mmeta.

Avery

Banned deucer.
I echo the sentiments posted by Sealoo above (use Thunder Punch Metagross over Ice Punch, pressuring Slowbro is important), but also I would change Kommo-o for Z Move Garchomp. Reason for this is because you already have a wincon in Volcarona, and you have an Ashgren check in Fini. This switch would give you a Volt Switch immunity, which the team could greatly apprecate, and it would give you a Z Move Breaker to smash through the Pokemon that Volcarona struggles with, such as Toxapex, Heatran, and Chansey.
Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

To add to the above, Magic Guard is a requirement on every Clefable not on a stall team, especially on WishPort since you're taking entry hazard damage so often (it's broken lol). I would say more, but it's late where I am, and tbh having no hazard removal looks not too bad (maybe three bad), as long as you pressure your opponent into clearing hazards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)