A Different Approach to Hyper Offense: If you build it, they will come!!!

A Different Approach to Hyper Offense: If you build it, they will come!!!

Hello everybody. I’m here with yet another look at another aspect of the Metagame in the form of Hyper Offense. Most of us already have a general idea of what to expect from Hyper Offense, but this Gen, thanks to the Buff in Defog, gave rise to a new wrinkle in HO with the use of Suicide Leads laying hazards and having a Defiant User (The Nazi Warlord, Bisharp, and to a lesser extent Thundurus) waiting in the wings daring the opponent to give them a free +2 attack boost. This is why Deo-Sharp has become quite popular among players due to the obscene power Bisharp can exploit, especially with the nerf of Steel Types resistance to Dark Moves and the buff of Knock Off, making Mein Führer a powerful adversary to go up against, especially after a free SD Boost.
The other half of Deo-Sharp is Deoxys; side note, the fact that any form of Deoxys was allowed back into the OU ranks befuddles me, but alas, as a player we just learn to either a) beat ‘em OR b) use ‘em. Well we could try to beat them, sounds fun in my book, but before these guys possibly get suspect tested; (if not already) let’s take a new look at Hyper Offense before bans make us reconsider other options:

Deoxys-D (Minoru) @ Light Clay
EV: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IV: 0 Atk

- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Magic Coat
- Taunt

Role: Fast Taunter & Dual Screen Set-Up
Instead of laying hazards, this Deoxys maximizes its bulk even further thanks to the laying out of the Dual Screens. Taunt is optimal as Deoxys outspeeds virtually all set-up users, buying a free turn. Magic Coat is here for the Klefkis and Sableyes of the Pokémon World that want to be little pricks and Taunt me instead. Really the only thing this guy can’t do anything about is Magic Bounce Users, but that’s what teammates are for.

Latias (Makato) @ Life Orb
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IV: 0 Atk

- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Role: Defog User, Nuke & Second Chance Perk

Even though we are running Hyper, we still need someone to take care of our boys as they are out there putting in work. Fuck Chansey, Blissey, Audino and Wigglytuff; Latias should be at every Pokémon Center with Nurse Joy healing Pokémon with Healing Wish. Of course, just cause she is the Florence Nightingale of this team doesn’t mean that her job stops there. She packs Defog to remove opposing Hazards and packs a Nuke in LO Boosted Draco Meteor. She also hard counters Mega Venusaur, who otherwise, could be a bit of a nuisance. In the end, she’s the Momma Duck of the group and does a fantastic job of protecting her ducklings ^_^

Dragonite (Kazuya) @ Choice Band
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature

- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Role: Physical Wall Breaker

When most people see Dragonite, they are thinking DD Weakness Policy, however, this guy is a bit more straight-forward than that. CB Extreme Speed hits everything except Rock and Steel Types for stupid hard damage; virtually 2HKOing the majority of the top Meta. Don’t believe me; look at the calcs below. (I’ll wait…….) OK, either you saw the numbers or didn’t give a rip, either way that is some heavy damage to be taking on the switch, not to mention that Dragonite has coverage moves to answer Steel and Rock Types in the form the EQ and Fire Punch respectively. All that and we didn’t even mention Outrage, which just does UNGODLY amounts of damage to anything and everything, truly making this thing a late game cleaner for which to be reckoned with.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 197-232 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 135-159 (45.3 - 53.3%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 181-213 (60.7 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 126-149 (46.3 - 54.7%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 177-209 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 160-189 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 195-230 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Greninja (Jooji) @ Life Orb
EV: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature

- U-Turn
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam

Role: Stupid Fast Special Sweeper

What can we say about this Amphibious Shinobi that we already don’t know? Blistering 122 Base Speed, an awesome 103 Base Special Attack, an amazing ability that gives all his moves STAB. Actually, that is a lot to say… in all seriousness, because of all the possible moves he can possess, defeating him can prove to be challenging to say the least. Hidden Power Fire is here to take out opposing Steel Types like Scizor and Ferrothorn and U-Turn provides a switch into a more viable check if I’m staring down a bulky Water-type like Rotom-W.

Tyranitar (Naru) @ Choice Scarf
EV: 52 Atk / 220 SpA / 236 Spe
Ability: Sandstorm
Lonely Nature

- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

Role: Mixed Choice Cleaner

Choice TTar on paper looks to be an unorthodox choice and more so when you look at the Nature and EV Spread. However, there is a method to the madness, or if not, well this is my RMT so go kick rocks!!! ^_^ Seriously, Scarf TTar with 236 Spe EVs and 220 SpA EVs gives it enough speed and power to take down a Fully Invested Jolly Garchomp barring a Scarf on the Land Shark. Though this may sound narrow minded, but less not forget that other Ground Types like Landorus, Gliscor and Hippowdon and a plethora of Dragons either get OHKO’d or 2HKO’d by this animal's insanely powerful Ice Beams. I would bombard you with the calcs, but this isn’t 3rd Period AP Calculus. As always, we also have the standard assortment of STAB goodness in Crunch, Pursuit and Rock Slide when applicable.

->

Scizor (Shinobu) @ Scizorite
EV: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature

- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Role: Mega Protoman (Program Advance Edition) AKA Da Main Event

As with all Megas, these things are meant to wrought carnage on the battlefield. Shinobu is no different, (if you haven’t caught on by now, each of these mons is named after one of Shinobu Sensui’s 7 personalities from Yu Yu Hakusho) switching in on possible Toxic users and go for the SD, turning this machine into a +2 Atk +1 Priority engine of destruction. Bug Bite was the 4th move originally, but jg1198 made a valid suggestion of using the much more spammable Knock Off... so we're going with that until further notice.

In Conclusion...

Well that's the team. Whether you love or hate the team, I hope that it at least gets your creative juices going in terms of finding different ways to look at team building and, more specifically, the different team themes that are in the Meta and continue to grow and adapt them to the every changing Metagame. I soon as I get a chance I will post some replays. If anyone has any constructive input, please feel free to express it and I will see what we can do to accomodate it. As always, anyone is more than welcomed to take the team out for a spin, for the easy price of posting a replay or two ^_^ Thanks for looking the team over and hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Sincerely,

Prof. R. Feliciano
Director of Metagame Studies, Smogon University, New York Campus

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
Deoxys-Defense @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Spd / 80 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Magic Coat
- Taunt
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 Atk / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Last edited:
Tyranitar does get ice punch, which makes it so you dont have to split your ev's, but you do lose some power against lando-t, so unless you're really scared of lando-t, I would switch ice beam to ice punch.

Mega Scizor should run knock off instead of bullet punch, since steel/dark is much better coverage than steel/bug, allowing you to hit aegislash, landorus, gliscor, skarmory, charizard on switch in a lot harder, and of course there is stuff like jellicent and tentacruel as well. Not to mention knocking off a gliscors toxic orb before it activates is the greatest thing ever.

run timid max speed max hp on deo-d, as your bulk is still crazy, and moving before a lot of things will probably get you more hazards than the extra bulk will, and the faster taunt is super useful against stuff like breloom, smeargle, and mamoswine.

Other than those few little nitpicks, looks like a great team, and good luck to you.

I don't like Sand stream on this team because you do not benefit from it. It will really affect you with Greninja, taking HUGE residual damage with Rocks, Sand and Life orb.
CharX is a problem at +1. With FlareBlitz, EQ and Dragon Claw, it can rip apart ur team. In an unpleasant situation where you are Choice-locked into fire punch or ice beam, it can setup quite easily. The fact that you lack Stealth Rocks is also bothering me.

I will test your team later and give more feedback.
Also, add an importable!

Tyranitar does get ice punch, which makes it so you dont have to split your ev's, but you do lose some power against lando-t, so unless you're really scared of lando-t, I would switch ice beam to ice punch.

Mega Scizor should run knock off instead of bullet punch, since steel/dark is much better coverage than steel/bug, allowing you to hit aegislash, landorus, gliscor, skarmory, charizard on switch in a lot harder, and of course there is stuff like jellicent and tentacruel as well. Not to mention knocking off a gliscors toxic orb before it activates is the greatest thing ever.

run timid max speed max hp on deo-d, as your bulk is still crazy, and moving before a lot of things will probably get you more hazards than the extra bulk will, and the faster taunt is super useful against stuff like breloom, smeargle, and mamoswine.

Other than those few little nitpicks, looks like a great team, and good luck to you.
Thanks for the rate jg1198. On the part about Knock Off... i'm assuming you meant to say replace Bug Bite for Knock Off right? You wrote Bullet Punch but I kinda got your idea with the steel dark suggestion.

For Deo-D, I will admit that this is my first time experimenting with him so I'm not quite sure what EV Spread would be the most effective but based on the possible Taunt Users that I might come across:

1. Thundurus w/ Prankster
2. Sableye w/ Prankster
3. Weavile, outspeeds him outright
4. Mew, outspeeds with base 100

With the mentions of Breloom, Mamoswine and Smeargle the fastest one their would be a Fully Invested Jolly Mamoswine.

I guess I can actually pour 176 speed EVs from the SpD to outspeed Mamo, which then cover everyone else. Tell me what you think about this?

As for Ice Punch > Ice Beam, Intimidate would weaken Ice Punch to the point that it won't get a OHKO on it. Once the opponent sees Ice Punch they won't bring in Lando-T on a switch unless its after they sac one of their mons. Still good for me, but unless I previously damaged Lando-T, my opponent can just retaliate with EQ and kiss my TTar bye-bye.

I will update Deo-D's speed to anticipate Mamo and test it out. Knock Off will replace Bug Bite.

Thanks for the rate!!! ^_^

I don't like Sand stream on this team because you do not benefit from it. It will really affect you with Greninja, taking HUGE residual damage with Rocks, Sand and Life orb.
CharX is a problem at +1. With FlareBlitz, EQ and Dragon Claw, it can rip apart ur team. In an unpleasant situation where you are Choice-locked into fire punch or ice beam, it can setup quite easily. The fact that you lack Stealth Rocks is also bothering me.

I will test your team later and give more feedback.
Also, add an importable!
I will get you the importable later today son ^_^

If Sandstream gives you that much pause, I suppose we can change his Ability to Unnerve, but my opponent will have to deal with Sandstorm too...

As for CharX, or even CharY, prediction is obviously more prevalent for this team than most others. Less not also forget that Light Screen & Reflect are suppose to be up for 8 turns and trust me, those defensive boosts help both TTar and, to a lesser extent, Dragonite's Overall Bulk allowing me the comfort of either using Crunch or Rock Slide, especially since only Ground, Fighting and Steel types are the only ones that resist Rock Slide, if I need to for TTar and to abuse CB XSpeed with impunity on Dnite.

In the end, nothing beats real life testing and I am at work right now sooo... -_-'

Anyways, thanks for the look out... I will get you that importable as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Hi Rafael ! It's a very nice team you got here !

I don't have a lot to say but I think Ice Punch > Fire Punch on Dragonite. Actually, Earthquake is already covering Steel and Rock Types so Fire Punch seems a little redundant. On the other hand, Ice Punch will allow you to beat Gliscor, Landorus-I and even Landorus-T.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 340-404 (96 - 114.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 604-712 (188.7 - 222.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 404-476 (105.7 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nothing more to say now, will test your team when I will have the time and tell you after if I see other weaknesses.

EDIT: After some tests, even if Ice Punch has been useful against some pokes, I would keep Fire Punch since it helps a lot against Scizor / Ferrothorn. You already have enough Ice coverage so it was quite useless...

However, Scarf Landorus-T is a huge threat to your team. U-turn is very annoying and it can beat your Tyranitar with EQ. But I didn't have any idea how to check it better... If I have any idea, you will be the first to know !

Last edited:
Hi Rafael ! It's a very nice team you got here !

I don't have a lot to say but I think Ice Punch > Fire Punch on Dragonite. Actually, Earthquake is already covering Steel and Rock Types so Fire Punch seems a little redundant. On the other hand, Ice Punch will allow you to beat Gliscor, Landorus-I and even Landorus-T.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 340-404 (96 - 114.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 604-712 (188.7 - 222.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 404-476 (105.7 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nothing more to say now, will test your team when I will have the time and tell you after if I see other weaknesses.

EDIT: After some tests, even if Ice Punch has been useful against some pokes, I would keep Fire Punch since it helps a lot against Scizor / Ferrothorn. You already have enough Ice coverage so it was quite useless...

However, Scarf Landorus-T is a huge threat to your team. U-turn is very annoying and it can beat your Tyranitar with EQ. But I didn't have any idea how to check it better... If I have any idea, you will be the first to know !
Hey Adrima, thanks for the rate... yea as you saw Fire Punch was selected for Scizor/Ferrothorn as they otherwise laugh at DNite!!!

Scarf Lando is a bit of an issue but the only thing I can do with the team is rely on proper switches to predict into DNite or Scizor depending on whether I believe Lando will U-Turn (which Scarf Lando does 9/10 times... -_-') or if he's feeling like Dirty Harry and one's to bank on Stone Miss Edge... because of Latias and DNite, EQ won't be a viable option unless both of them are taken care of in advance...

On a more serious note, has the Dual Screens been providing the efficient defenses to provide survivability to the rest of the team? I don't know how high up the ladder you are with this team but its the one real saling point of this team if it can set-up these Dual Screens effectively as cutting all attack damage in HALF for 7-8 turns is a very sexy option in my opinion ^_^

Let me know what you've seen...

I'm testing this team with:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EV: 112 Atk / 160 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature

- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

I really don't like wasting so much EVs for only one move. 60 Evs in attack helps a lot for cleaning with crunch. Some calcs:

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 352-416 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 352-416 (110 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 372-440 (105 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 336-396 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 372-440 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Your only problem is lando physical wall and garchomp. But u have greninja with another ice beam and cbnite. So ttar is not your only answer for those mons. For hippo u have greninja.

Original team like always, gratz

Last edited:
I'm testing this team with:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EV: 112 Atk / 160 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature

- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

I really don't like wasting so much EVs for only one move. 60 Evs in attack helps a lot for cleaning with crunch. Some calcs:

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 352-416 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 352-416 (110 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 372-440 (105 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 336-396 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

160 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 372-440 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Your only problem is lando physical wall and garchomp. But u have greninja with another ice beam and cbnite. So ttar is not your only answer for those mons. For hippo u have greninja.

Original team like always, gratz
Very astute assessment DD... thanks for the reply... with TTar I seem to keep playing around with the his EVs to try to optimize what he can do... this is especially true because... correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be 3 dominant sets that Garchomp will most likely be running...

Set #1 - Fast Rocks

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Rough Skin
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fire Blast/Draco Meteor

Set #2 - Revenge Killer

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Rough Skin
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Poison Jab/Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage

Set #3 - Mega Chomper

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EV: varies
Ability: Rough Skin -> Sand Force
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage

The first two defeat the purpose of Ttar as as Rock Chomp will accomplish what he wants to do while Scarf Chomp just outright runs circles around him... the last set can be revenged but I most likely would have to sac a mon to do it. I'm thinking that I might have to retire TTar... any suggestions?

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
:)

So, by the looks of it, this is a team that likes to utilize Dual Screens then spamming with Dnite, with Scizor waiting in the wings for any fairies. However, how do you beat stall? It is not really a good match-up for you as Dnite is choice-locked, Latias and Greninja don't like LO recoil + status, and Scizor is stopped by Hippo, Zapdos, Skarm, and Heatran.

Well, let's look at Ttar. Scarf, surprise weapon. Talonflame check. Well, maybe useful but really, you don't need Lati@s gone when you have a Scizor that can set up on their faces. Ice Beam isn't revenging anything with that speed, and you already have Greninja. So basically, you have that teamslot wasted on a redundant role. So instead, I recommend Kyu-B to instead help you beat stall cores. Kyu-B easily removes most walls such as Gliscor, Heatran, MegaSaur, and such. He fails against Sylveon and Chansey, however, but that's where Scizor comes in and sets up an SD. He's also a decent Talonflame check, only taking 68% without Reflect.

To other matters, y u no Stealth Rock? SR is a staple on most successful teams and should never be left out. To safely place it, I suggest SR > Magic Coat. See, Magic Coat and Taunt are redundant: if you know they will set-up on your face, you Taunt. Then you set up on their face. Simple.

Good luck!

EDIT: Darn I forgot the set:

Kyu-B @ Lefties
Rash | 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)