Challenge A Fool's Errand - Completing Pokemon Home Without Paying A Penny (COMPLETE)

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
You don't need Zarude, at least. Magearna doesn't check for anyone after Eternatus
Ah, interesting. Was not aware of that. I guess they failed to update Home after the DLCs were released?

(I'll probably still try and get it anyway, because at this point not completing the entire thing feels wrong.)

QuentinQuonce

Dec 18, 2020

Much as I'd like to trade for all the mythicals in a matter of minutes and be done with it, that's not possible due to the restriction that you're only allowed to make ten direct trades a day (GTS, Wonder Box, and Room trades all count separately from this). I'd assumed that this was one of the joys of being on the Basic Plan, but apparently it applies for everyone! How lame is that? What gives, Nintendo?

I make touch trades for Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Magearna (the standard one), and Zeraora. That's a good start. Then someone offers me a Zarude. If you've read this entire thread (and you have my deepest affection if so) you might remember I mentioned that someone (shoutout to Scorpio for being a cool dude) already tried to trade me one a few days ago, but wasn't able to. However, people on forums insist that Zarude is actually tradeable. So what's going on?

After some extensive research, I hit on an answer. It appears that the original "Jungle Zarude" event (ID 200807) is tradeable, while the newer "Worldwide Jungle Zarude" (ID 201113) and the Dada Zarude are not (yet). The bloke who trades it to me says I'm welcome to keep it - well, how can I turn that down? So I'm now the happy owner of Gen VIII's sole mythical Pokemon, though I can't see it getting much use any time soon.

Current progress: 883/898.

QuentinQuonce

This thread is almost making me want to pick up Go and Home just to engage in GTS nonsense again.

I was keeping tabs whenever I looked at OI's first page because of the thread title, but I definitely didn't expect you to finish it this quickly.
Working from home has been an absolute boon. Means I can check my phone much more frequently than otherwise, and cycle the Wonder Box every hour on the hour.

But yeah, I was expecting to finish this mid-January at the very earliest.

when you dont care about anything other than dex entries it probably becomes much more reasonable to use
Tbf, much as I do still feel like the app is pretty half-arsed in its execution and thoroughly overpriced, it has grown on me somewhat. I really like that Mega Evolutions haven't been forgotten, and that I can view the dex entries from all relevant games as well as the Gigantamax forms too. It would be great if trades were unlimited (and trade-evo Pokemon actually evolved when you trade them) and if I could view the Pokemon I have in a bit more detail, but it's easy to use and it's nicely presented.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Dec 19, 2020

One day to go.

I make touch trades for Keldeo, Phione, Arceus, Victini, Shaymin, Manaphy, Meloetta, Marshadow, and... that uses up all my trades for the day, so that's literally all I can do for now. Progress is measured by inches, as they say.

However, I've also been using my time to fill my dex in other ways. I trade the Single Strike Urshifu I obtained a few days ago for the Rapid Strike form (I much prefer the latter, so that's pleasing), get ahold of a Vivillon and do swaps to get several of the other forms, and trade for a few Pokemon that have the Gigantamax Factor so I can view the Gmax forms too. The niftiest coup of all, though, is swapping the shiny Regigigas I got a few days ago for a Glastrier and then trading that for a shiny Regidrago (in a Beast Ball, no less). I mean, it's probably hacked but it's a pretty fucking cool mon to have regardless.

The really annoying thing about all this is that I have multiples of all the mythicals currently stored in Pokebank thanks to having been a nearly-lifelong player, so if the basic plan allowed you to transfer from Bank (and honestly, I don't see why not - surely only being allowed 30 Pokemon is the really punitive part here) I'd have been able to get this done in an instant. Getting the rest of the Dex was the hard part because all I have to do for this bunch is find people who have them and want to trade, and most serious players are more likely to have a Meloetta or Arceus tucked away than whatever unevolved trashmon I need.

I guess someone patient could trade for them all in Gen VII, send them to their own Home account, and trade them back to me... but no matter. It's almost done. My meter is very nearly charged enough, so if I can get the four last species tomorrow, I'll be able to transfer the remaining three and finally be finished with this challenge.

Until then, dear readers.

Current progress: 891/898.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
When you started this I thought it was a cute idea and figured you wouldn't get that far, like maybe you'd get around 111. If you told me you'd get within 111 of completing the dex, I'd be impressed, but if you told me that's binary... (111 is binary for 7) well, I'd probably believe it because I'm gullible. :P

Congrats on getting this far. Getting every non-Mythical without gifts from other people, (other than Glastrier and Regieleki, but I know you could have got them without it.) is insane!

Careful there, gt, today you're just getting a few fun alt forms, then hey may as well complete the alt form set, and soon you're going for a 100% shiny dex.
Getting all the Vivillon forms will be tough enough. There's no way they'd consider-
Hey, that's... not a bad idea!
That's a bad idea!

Well, if you want to doom yourself, check how many gender differences there are. Good luck, have fun.

QuentinQuonce

When you started this I thought it was a cute idea and figured you wouldn't get that far, like maybe you'd get around 111. If you told me you'd get within 111 of completing the dex, I'd be impressed, but if you told me that's binary... (111 is binary for 7) well, I'd probably believe it because I'm gullible. :P
I love a good bit of binary trivia!

Congrats on getting this far. Getting every non-Mythical without gifts from other people, (other than Glastrier and Regieleki, but I know you could have got them without it.) is insane!
Thank you! And yeah in hindsight I'm annoyed at myself for getting those two so easily ^^

QuentinQuonce

Dec 20, 2020

And now we face the final curtain.

I hit up a buddy of mine and make touch trades for the final four mythicals I don't have: Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion.

I only just remembered that I could have hypothetically sent Genesect from Go. Unfortunately hypothetical is all that is because I haven't got a Genesect available to send, so it's another I have to trade for. Ah, well. With those four species obtained, I gear up for the final three Pokemon I need to transfer to complete the challenge.

Most of the Pokemon I've transferred from Go to Home have been ones I've not had that much of an attachment to, but that's not the case for Darkrai. I have a squad of six for raids, all fittingly grimly nicknamed - Mirthlesse, Bleaknesse, Hopelesse, Faithlesse, Shamelesse, and Lythgoe (the leader of the squad, and named for an old teacher who we all found rather creepy). It's hard choosing one to part with, but in the end I choose Hopelesse. Goodbye, champ. You did well. Hopefully you'll like your new Home.

Luckily I have a couple of spare Deoxys from the Ultra Week earlier this year, so that's an easy one. The final Pokemon I send over is Meltan.

And that's it. I'm done. I do a final scan of my Pokedex to ensure I've definitely not missed anyone, and I'm good. I make a space in my Basic Box and go to claim my reward.

magearna.jpg
magearna2.jpg

Ain't she lovely.

Reflections

This was such a cool challenge. I haven't done a Pokedex completion grind in any of the games for quite some time (probably not since X and Y were released, realistically) and it was incredibly fun to start all the way from scratch again. Ironically Dexit actually made this challenge more enjoyable since Pokemon like Pikipek and Finneon that would otherwise be unremarkably common became harder to obtain, and more desirable to others once I had them. If you've followed this from the start (or even if you joined midway through and went back to read my progression), thank you for following along. I hope it's been somewhat interesting to read.

What now? Well, I guess I'll keep using the app. There's still a few Pokemon I'd like to get the alternate forms for (I can't seem to find a Low Key Toxtricity anywhere) and it'd be cool to get my hands on a few battle-ready Pokemon like Cinderace and Copperajah eventually. Even if I never get Sword or Shield, it'd be nice to have them just in case.

Oh, and I'll probably do another challenge at some point. Stay tuned until then.

Happy Christmas, all.

Dec 20, 2020

And now we face the final curtain.

I hit up a buddy of mine and make touch trades for the final four mythicals I don't have: Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion.

I only just remembered that I could have hypothetically sent Genesect from Go. Unfortunately hypothetical is all that is because I haven't got a Genesect available to send, so it's another I have to trade for. Ah, well. With those four species obtained, I gear up for the final three Pokemon I need to transfer to complete the challenge.

Most of the Pokemon I've transferred from Go to Home have been ones I've not had that much of an attachment to, but that's not the case for Darkrai. I have a squad of six for raids, all fittingly grimly nicknamed - Mirthlesse, Bleaknesse, Hopelesse, Faithlesse, Shamelesse, and Lythgoe (the leader of the squad, and named for an old teacher who we all found rather creepy). It's hard choosing one to part with, but in the end I choose Hopelesse. Goodbye, champ. You did well. Hopefully you'll like your new Home.

Luckily I have a couple of spare Deoxys from the Ultra Week earlier this year, so that's an easy one. The final Pokemon I send over is Meltan.

And that's it. I'm done. I do a final scan of my Pokedex to ensure I've definitely not missed anyone, and I'm good. I make a space in my Basic Box and go to claim my reward.

View attachment 301536View attachment 301542

Ain't she lovely.

Reflections

This was such a cool challenge. I haven't done a Pokedex completion grind in any of the games for quite some time (probably not since X and Y were released, realistically) and it was incredibly fun to start all the way from scratch again. Ironically Dexit actually made this challenge more enjoyable since Pokemon like Pikipek and Finneon that would otherwise be unremarkably common became harder to obtain, and more desirable to others once I had them. If you've followed this from the start (or even if you joined midway through and went back to read my progression), thank you for following along. I hope it's been somewhat interesting to read.

What now? Well, I guess I'll keep using the app. There's still a few Pokemon I'd like to get the alternate forms for (I can't seem to find a Low Key Toxtricity anywhere) and it'd be cool to get my hands on a few battle-ready Pokemon like Cinderace and Copperajah eventually. Even if I never get Sword or Shield, it'd be nice to have them just in case.

Oh, and I'll probably do another challenge at some point. Stay tuned until then.

Happy Christmas, all.
Rare Crew Hype.gif

Great job! Congratulations!

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Congrats!

What attracted me to watch this thread in the first place is the part that said "a fool's errand". I thought that it would be fun to watch and thought that it would actually take months and months. Look who's the fool now...

QuentinQuonce

Oh hell yes!!!

I've been loving watching you complete this, congrats! That is a well-earned Magearna :D
Thank you! I'm looking forward to never, ever using her.

Congrats!

What attracted me to watch this thread in the first place is the part that said "a fool's errand". I thought that it would be fun to watch and thought that it would actually take months and months. Look who's the fool now...
To be honest, so did I. That's why I tagged each entry with the year as I thought I'd still be working on this deep into next year. Guess we're both fools!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)