SS OU A Hybrid Balanced/Hyper Offense Team

Having good success with it lately. Here's the team: https://pokepast.es/b0bf5729cfb10910

(1) Latias

This is a bulky setup sweeper set. Max speed and timid nature to outspeed most opposing pokemon. Can switch in to special moves and force a switch out/threaten mons.

(2) Blacephalon

Mixed set, with emphasis on special. Mild nature because I prefer the extra power over speed. Mind blown provides a 2-for-1 trade often. Shadow ball is the most consistent stab. Rock blast for opposing moltres and flying types.

(3) Tornadus

Utility set with some offensive presence. Defog for obvious reasons. Knock off for further utility and u-turn w/ max speed to chip and recover healthy safely.
Acrobatics is on there as a flying type move and to increase offensive potential when boots are knocked off.

(4) Magnezone

Extremely hard hitting choice specs set. I don't have T-bolt because volt switch provides basically the same amount of KO's w/ Analytic and Specs. Flash cannon is the move of choice, while steel beam can be used as a nuke that OHKO's most pokemon that even resist it.
Zap cannon is there for predictions of Heatran switching in, and to spread paralysis.

(5) Tapu Bulu

This is a bulk-up setup set. Adamant and 152 EVs on Atk to also serve as a hard hitter. I opted to use facade over leech seed because I don't have a way to deal w/ burns, and toxic can put bulu on a timer.
Darkest lariat is for when opponents are also setting up w/ bulk up/iron defense.

(6) Swampert

Physical tank. Stealth rock setter w/ slow flip turn for momentum. Toxic to put opponents on a timer, who might try to set up.
I have sitrus berry on here because I have not found leftovers to be useful. I've benefit way more from having a one time burst of HP recover to potentially live an extra hit vs passive leftovers recovery.

-----------
Leave suggestions/feedback below. Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Fc

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Hi, I think this team has a decent foundation, but is lacking in a few areas that some changes could clear up, so I'll go through what I think would improve the team generally.

Major Changes:
:tapu-bulu: --> :rillaboom:

Rillaboom is a much better grassy terrain abuser, and can be especially deadly when paired with magnezone like on this team. Bulu doesn't have a ton going for it currently offensively over rilla, so this change seems quite good overall for the power level of the team. CB gives much more immediate power against teams that have the steels removed by mag, so it seems like a fairly good pick overall. Lati can also pressure the kanto birds which give it trouble, which especially when paired with teleport blissey which I suggest later can be a very strong pivoting bulky offense core.
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

:swampert: --> :hippowdon:

The team is generally quite weak to Cinderace with everything being 2hko'd at least barring swampert which has no recovery, so this change aims to patch that issue. Paired with Torn-T which is faster it should be able to deal with ace quite well overall. Small change in terms of the team overall since the role as a bulky ground type stealth rocker is very similar, just this covers one of the biggest metagame threats better. I chose whirlwind over the sample toxic set for the emergency phazing button against some set up mons that it can't handle on its own.

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- High Horsepower
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

:blacephalon: --> :blissey:

This one is a much larger change than the other 2 which were mons that just fulfilled the roles better here, but I think blissey is extremely important to have. the team lacks a ghost resist meaning Dragapult was extremely free to click buttons before, and it only had blacephalon as a magearna switch in which actually has a chance to be ohko'd by specs fleur cannon, so bliss makes it more free against that as well. Shift Gear + CM + Stored Power sets are still extremely annoying, so twave aims to not let it get insanely out of control while having magnezone to resist hits + Hippowdon which can phaze a mag with 1 shift gear and 1 cm set up in a pinch. I think this covers the most needed things in the last slot while keeping the general components of the team.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss

Minor Changes:
:Latias:
:leftovers: --> :life-orb:
Calm Mind --> Roost
Aura Sphere --> Mystical Fire (optional)
This is the same set that offensive non choiced Latios runs in the tier just with Psyshock > Psychic, and it seems quite effective at being a breaker that doesn't require set up. Mystical fire is there in case of some things getting set up on the special side again like Magearna where the chip and sp.atk drop is needed, however for things like Tyranitar and more importantly for this team Heatran Aura Sphere is quite helpful.

:Tornadus-therian:
Acrobatics --> Hurricane

Hurricane is just a better option in most cases, where Acrobatics is a very weak move normally that has little benefit, the strong stab is great and is the standard it runs with the other 3 moves to keep some offensive pressure as a defogging pivot. This also deals much more to boosted Hawlucha which can beat Hippowdon's phazing if it's the last opposing mon.

:Magnezone:
Specs Set --> Iron Defense Body Press Set

This set has a key thing about it that would likely work better here, and it's that it can trap Ferrothorn. Ferro can heavily chip Rillaboom if it ever tries clicking Wood Hammer or just in general, so having this set to eliminate that is great. It doesn't do as much to Corv which can uturn out but that still takes a lot and should be put into range of Rillaboom's attacks, or will just get trapped again.

Updated RMT (pokepast.es)
So here's the updated paste with the changes I recommend, hopefully it can do well for you! I really wanted to keep the structure the same which is why rillaboom > bulu and hippo > pert were chosen just as better options here, but the blacephalon fully was changed for a more reliable mu against very common top threats in the meta. I think it's more sound overall with these though, so hopefully it'll work better with these.

Last edited:
Fc Thanks for taking the time to write suggestions!
I have a few follow ups.
First, can I run the Swords Dance Rillaboom set effectively instead of band? I like band, but originally I had bulu as a set up mon because my team was generally lacking set up mons.

Next, how important is teleport on blissey? I'm wondering if I can use heal bell, because I wanted to fit that onto this team but couldn't find the slot.

For Torn, I'm using a -SpA nature on it so is hurricane still good? Can it OHKO hawlucha with jolly nature?

Finally for Magnezone, I know of the body press sets but never used it. I find them interesting but I don't think I'm good with it :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Fc

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Fc Thanks for taking the time to write suggestions!
I have a few follow ups.
First, can I run the Swords Dance Rillaboom set effectively instead of band? I like band, but originally I had bulu as a set up mon because my team was generally lacking set up mons.

Next, how important is teleport on blissey? I'm wondering if I can use heal bell, because I wanted to fit that onto this team but couldn't find the slot.

As for Latias, it seems a bit counter intuitive to me to run a bulky set with LO. Wouldn't I wanna run max SpA instead?
Similar thing with Torn, I'm using a -SpA nature on it so is hurricane still good? Can it OHKO hawlucha with jolly nature?

Finally for Magnezone, I know of the body press sets but never used it. I find them interesting but I don't think I'm good with it :/
I think sd rillaboom could still be used effectively yeah, it doesn't have the immediate breaking power of banded wood hammer but ideally with magnezone can still do some work. No U-turn might be a bit harder to work with but not impossible. I recommended band here just for those reasons, but if you test it and find success then it can be used, I didn't' get to try it out in the few games I gave this team some tests but I don't see a reason it would make the team worse at all.

Imo teleport is very important on Blissey usually, making it a very effective pivot. I'd very rarely drop teleport so I think it's one of the better moves to keep, and imo is better than being a cleric most of the time since it can already absorb status itself and teleport out with natural cure to heal it with negative priority so nothing else takes the status being thrown out. Maybe it could be used somewhere if you find a place to fit it, but I generally think all the moves it has rn are better.

As for Latias, I forgot to mention it in the small changes section but made the change in the full paste I linked, but yes as a breaker max Special Attack seems better which I added to that one. Also put Mystical Fire > Aura Sphere in that paste but that's also optional which I mentioned in the first post.

Again with Torn-T I didn't mention it in the minor changes section, but in the full paste it's timid nature for this reason. Hurricane gets a large power boost compared to jolly, and since Knock off and U-turn are utility moves they don't need the power, so timid is the correct nature.

Maybe with SD Rillaboom with superpower then specs magnezone could also be an option again, I think with banded then body press is the way to go. Generally I like body press more just for the utility as a trapper since it's great against ferro along with the normal targets, so again that's what I'd recommend, but if you tweak some set variations and it works for you then go for it, up to what fits your preferences in the end, I think the core works well regardless as long as it can take care of stuff like Ferro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)