Battle Spot A Little Bit about Mega Scizor (Singles)

Actually there is a lot about Mega Scizor.

1518479959049.png

People post music in their RMT's so I might as well do the same for those who thankfully have decided to take a time and read this thread all the way to the end...

Opening

USUM BSS has brought two plagues to the metagame; a monster named Naganadel and the stupidity of Mimikium Z which basically forced me to revamp eight of my BSS team's all defensive Pokemon to now benchmark on Let's Snuggle Forever instead of Twinkle Tackle. However, this is nothing new since Gamefreak loves to nurture and adore certain Pokemon while jabbing already bad Pokemon and making them nigh unviable in competitive games. Anyways, that said I wanted to build a team that involves anti-meta technique and my pick was Mega Scizor.​

Teambuilding

Mega Scizor is very underrated and commonly overlooked threat in the metagame due to a predictability and many Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch. However, predictability doesn’t make something ineffective. While it is true that many Pokemon do resist Bullet Punch, there are many offensive threats that have trouble handling this move in the first place. Mega Scizor also has excellent defensive capabilities and checks threats like Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine while access to Roost along with this lets Mega Scizor freely set up on stuff like Ferrothorn and others. This will be further addressed in Builder's Analysis.

Drawbacks of Mega Scizor are obviously an extreme vulnerability to Fire-type moves as well as prevalence of Tapu Lele whose Psychic Terrain prevents the use of Bullet Punch. Adding another Tapu that could remove the terrain would be my next pick. Nothing fits this better than Tapu Fini does since it checks Mega Blaziken, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Gyarados, which freely sets up on Mega Scizor without much concern. Misty Terrain blocking the likes of Scald burn is another bonus. Tapu Koko is another Tapu that not only removes Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor but also can bring in Mega Scizor safely with Volt Switch. It also pressures Water-types like Toxapex and opposing Tapu Fini.

Blaziken was added as a breaker; at this point my team needed a solid teammate that would pose immediate threat to Steel-types. It fits the two Tapu's well in an event where I do not choose Mega Scizor due to the matchup issues. Landorus-T was added as a rocker and something that would stop mindless spam of Volt Switch.

One may think Naganadel may have been a random staple to this type of team, but it synergies with Mega Scizor surprisingly well as an offensive check to opposing Blaziken as well as being another way to threaten fat Steel-types using Fire Blast. Mega Scizor in return switches into pretty much every type Naganadel is weak to.​

Builder's Analysis

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

This is a straightfoward moveset that wouldn't be hard to understand. Swords Dance essentially summons a spell of doom to offensive threats because especially with the given investment, Mega Scizor OHKOes the good portion of them at +2. At this point one may wonder the reason why I forgo one of the Mega Scizor's selling points in U-turn, it is to provide my team a better chance to break defensive cores late game; ridding walls of Leftovers is something that will be significant factor especially accounting on Mega Scizor's tendency to make longer games with Roost against bulkier teams that makes Leftovers much annoying to deal with otherwise. Knock Off also lets Mega Scizor more proactively punish Aegislash, which otherwise is a complete stop to Mega Scizor. Even in fast games knocking off something like Rotom-H's Figi Berry saves me from a lot of trouble. The move also scouts for potential Z-crystals on switch-ins and depending on what threat it hits the moveset becomes predictable to a large extent.

Roost is what differentiates Mega Scizor from most fat Steel-types in the tier; this move is what allows Mega Scizor to make defensive counterplay against threats I have mentioned earlier while punishing passive foes like defensive Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor, by setting up on them. If you are hit by Guillotine at Turn 1 that isn't my problem.

Light Metal has a situational use of reducing damage from Grass Knot / Low Kick on switch.

Onto EV spreads:

At +2, Bullet Punch is guaranteed OHKO these foes:

and if Stealth Rock is up these are in range (assuming uninvested):

and more.

The defensive EVs:
* Guarantees survival of Fire Punch from Mega Tyranitar
* Guarantees 3HKO from +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu
* Guarantees 3HKO from Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake

252 HP / 116 Atk / 24 Def / 116 SpD is an alternative EV spread that still survives two Earthquake from Landorus-T while guaranteeing 3HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Surf
- Moonblast

- Taunt

Compressing the role of checking Mega Blaziken, Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X and weakening walls with Nature's Madness and Taunt is a role compression that is near exclusive to Tapu Fini. Sitrus Berry is more consistent berry in general, but due to how hard Tapu Fini checks the threats it switches into, Wiki Berry often proves to be a better choice and therefore is my primary item. Calm Mind can be opted for if more offensive presence is desired but the fact that Tapu Fini in this team is mandated to run max defense to fulfill the role makes this really difficult to function, as the power will still be significantly low at +1.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Tapu Koko covers most of team's internal problems of lacking a fast Pokemon and struggle to break Water-types. Volt Switch was opted for in place of U-turn because my offensive core wishes Tapu Koko to dish out as much damage as possible for them to clean up late game. The team's ability to handle Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Garchomp doesn't necessitate me to run HP Ice, and Dazzling Gleam often proves to be more safe move to click. Grass Knot is there simply to hit Hippowdon, Gastrodon, and Swampert. Hitting the latter is especially important due to this team's shaky matchup against rain teams if Tapu Fini was not opted for whatever the reason.

Blaziken @ Firium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick

- Protect

Blaziken fulfills the role of semi-revenge killer thanks to Protect guaranteeing +1 Speed at worst, early breaker, or late game cleaner. There were many options I could choose from when employing the Pokemon to the team but I chose Firium Z which breaks through Landorus-T, Zapdos, and Cresselia at +2 with Inferno Overdrive. Although this Pokemon has near infinite coverage / ways to bypass its conventional checks, Firium Z is the most effective Z-crystal for Blaziken at this moment, and especially an ability to delete Cresslia at +2 significantly improves my matchup against Trick Room teams because opponents rely on said wall to protect their Mega Mawile, Mega Heracross, and Porygon2.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
/ U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

A bizzare-looking Landorus-T set in this team compresses the role of Electric immunity, a check to opposing Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and the majority of the physical attackers in the tier while providing a Stealth Rock support to the team, which Mega Scizor appreciates a lot due to the number benchmarks it meets. U-turn is missing in this set because the purpose of having U-turn for Landorus-T in the first place is either offensively pivoting out on forced switches or pivoting out against a foe it cannot hurt at all due to the lack of coverage moves. Rock Tomb + HP Ice pressures a lot of threats that would otherwise Landorus-T cannot pressure and gives this set some offensive presence, lessening the necessity to carry a pivoting move. Although forgoing Rock Tomb and using U-turn is an option, it leaves my team more vulnerable to Volcarona. EV spread lets Landorus-T escape 2HKO from Adamant Mega Salamence's Double-Edge while surviving Life Orb Tapu Koko's HP Ice.

naganadel.gif

Naganadel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave

- Fire Blast

The Focus Sash of the team goes to this Naganadel. While lack of Dragonium Z may seem detrimental to Naganadel's wallbreaking capabilities at first glance it isn't absolutely necessary due to the metagame's tendency to check Naganadel by applying offensive pressure, using priority moves, or pivoting around to Fairy-types. Also Focus Sash guaranteeing a setup or letting Naganadel take a hit in a pinch is something that my team appreciates a lot. (or basically any team likes Focus Sash user as a backup) Because my Mega Scizor carries Knock Off, it has much easier time breaking fat things like Porygon2 or Celesteela.​

Threats & Matchups

Heatran excells at bothering most balance cores and the same goes to my team. Although it is heavily pressured by Tapu Koko, Blaziken, and Landorus-T and can be overpowerd by Naganadel if sufficiently weakened, Heatran can prove troublesome especially if it lures Tapu Fini and KOes it using Bloom Doom set, opening a way for its team to clean my team. Especially since my Mega Scizor lacks U-turn, a wrong play against this Pokemon can lead to a lot of trouble especially if it has status moves. If this is paired with Tapu Bulu, wearing down this Pokemon becomes 10x difficult.

Choiced variants can be played around but setup variants, especially the ones with Agility is very hard to stop. Nasty Plot can be dealt with Blaziken but Agility variants can only be stopped by Naganadel with Focus Sash preserved.

Landorus-T mostly handles this team. If not, Tapu Fini lives any unboosted attack and hits back. Stalling sand turns and using Blaziken is another way.

Lead with Tapu Koko. The most ideal scenario will be sniping Swampert with Grass Knot but that doesn't always happen because predictions and stuff. Tapu Fini hardwalls Kingdra. It also 1v1's Mega Swampert because Wiki berry activates after taking two Earthquake.

Blaziken can stop Trick Room from going up in the first place and OHKOs Primarian with +2 Inferno Overdrive. Mispredicting against Mimikyu might be detrimental but Trick Room itself isn't the most consistent strategy and can always have unexpected scenarios going on.

Use Blaziken. Period.

Closing

Seriously nothing much to say here aside from appreciating those who read my Battle Spot Singles RMT. Thanks for reading, I know this team definitely have stuff to fix and a room for improvement. Please feel free to leave any relevant advices. Happy laddering!

Importable

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Blaziken (M) @ Firium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Naganadel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Last edited:
Finally a bss team, and even a very good one to be fair. Well done in building it, and great format here as well
I am actually asking myself now how do you deal with Bulky/Sash Lele or even more with the Scarf one? Since it often runs HP Fire, it seems that you don't have any reliable switch to it

Have you ever tried Heatran over Blaziken? It would still help you vs Heatran mirrors and vs Stall, and would help even more vs Tr, while giving you a reliable Lele check

@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm / Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power / Substitute
- Earth Power / Protect

You can even run this with some speed, like hitting a number of 125 should work in order to Sub in front of Max speed Celesteela, or Magma Storm it before it Subs itself

I like the team synergy. However 2 things: Koko outspeeds about everything, it isn't guaranteed you would bring Scizor in a safely. Just saying: obviously nothing likes to take a boosted Volt Switch in terrain.

I see you have a glaring weakness against ground-moves (we're talking about EQ to be fair). I would limit yourself to 2 weaknesses max because of the format you sometimes have to bring a few mons in that fulfill specific roles against some teams and can result in stacking weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)