SV PU A PU RMT (1000th Post)

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
RMT_-_justdrew.png

massive shoutout to Swiffix for the insane art on short notice

Most of you are probably thinking "Drew, aren't you a UU main. Why are you making a PU RMT for your 1000th post. Are you on drugs?" And the answer is no, not currently. I somehow managed to convince my friend pdt to draft me in PUPL and starting weeks 4, 5 and 6, I managed to go 3-0 so far. I have had an absolute blast learning and playing this tier at a competitive level and wanted to make an RMT of this tier as I am enjoying it more than UU. What I will be doing in this RMT is showcasing a team I built for week 4 of PUPL vs Togkey, and then adapting it to the new post August shift meta. I hope this RMT is both informative and entertaining, and hope you read to the end if you enjoy the tier. <3 :boi:

ORIGIN

:wo::woo::woop:
Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 10.46.37 PM.png
:woop::woo::wo:

I built this team to face Togkey who is one of the most creative and skilled builders in lower tiers, one of which being PU. My goal was to build with a creative sweeper with the ability to surprise and hopefully defeat Togkey before I lost to some unexpected set. :facepalm:

:leafeon:

Leafeon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trailblaze
- Body Slam
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Introducing Leafeon. Ever since I began playing the tier, I've been a huge fan of Leafeon :eeveehide:. It's stats are great, and it's ability to either Wish Pass or sweep provides it with an unknown nature when in battle. I chose to run a Substitute Leftovers set which I adapted from a Sun team I helped Fogbound Lake create the weak earlier. I used Trail Blaze to allow Leafeon to become faster than Electrode, Alolan-Persian, and the Dugtrio's which would all be capable of revenge killing it. I then went with Tera Normal Body Slam which is really Leafeon's best choice of coverage without being locked into use Tera Blast. Body Slam allows for Para's and hits things like Gogoat and Sawsbuck which would otherwise wall. Leafeon would be the starting point for my offensive core. In my replay vs Togkey, Leafeon won almost immediately by taking advantage of her defensive walls and boosting its speed with Trailblaze :blobthumbsup:.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9pu-705640

:leafeon::charizard:

Charizard @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Tera Blast
- Flame Charge

To add to the offensive core, I chose Charizard. As all PU mains know, finding a Fire resist in PU is pretty tough :changry:. Finding a Flying resist is also not fun. But finding both, well good luck. And with the ability to Tera Ground and hit Carbink super effectively, Charizard makes for a phenomenal breaker. I also love to run Flame Charge as it allows Charizard to act as either an early or late game sweeper not being able to be picked off by the Dugtrio's, A-Persian, Electrode, and slower Choice Scarf users. Below are two replays in which Charizard ended up on the win screen. Do note that it is Tera Steel in one replay, since this team went through a lot of minor changes. Either Steel or Ground is fine, though Ground is better in the new meta where Carbink isn't quite as good (not that it ever really was in my opinion):worrywhirl:.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-1909507882-w32r1tmair1ks0aspb44283gp1sh4kcpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-1909511732-clle0ldjuqpch6xxsyncts396fvc7vcpw

:leafeon::charizard::basculin:

Basculin-Blue-Striped @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Wave Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Head Smash
- Double-Edge

At this point I decided to keep my team on a more offensive track so that I could take charge in a game against a player more experienced and skilled than I. I chose Basculin to act as an immediate breaker for my team. Basculin helps weaken things such as opposing Leafeons, Gogoats, Gabites, and other defensive walls that would initially limit Leafeons sweeping potential. Initially, Basculin was a Rotom-Frost which functions as a breaker given there are very good Ice resists and also as a Choice Scarfer it can Trick opposing walls, or Nasty Plot and take down plenty of Pokemon. I appreciate Basculin's immediate breaking power more in addition to its priority in Aqua Jet.

:leafeon::charizard::basculin::dugtrio-alola:

Dugtrio-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tangling Hair
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

The next addition to this team was Alolan Dugtrio with it's excellent speed tier and Ground typing as well as its access to Stealth Rock. I decided to use Focus Sash Dugtrio which functions great against offensive teams as a lead, and gives Dugtrio a sort of artificial bulk which it lacks entirely in reality. Focus Sash helps guarantee rocks in a tier with next to no removal on a team that is already quite offensive. Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Iron Head give Duggy the best coverage with a small downside in no Sucker Punch priority.

:leafeon::charizard::basculin::dugtrio-alola::persian-alola:

Persian-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Power Gem
- U-turn
- Switcheroo
The next addition to the team is arguably the best Pokemon in the tier:blobshrug:. Persian-Alola's ability to outspeed Dugtrio, Raichu, and others, as well as it's ability to Nasty Plot against weaker attackers using its decent bulk in addition to using bulkier pivot or Scarf sets. On this team, I opted for a scarf Persian which gives me to outspeed the ever annoying Electrode, in addition it allows me to outspeed +1 sweepers like Charizard, Lycanroc, Flapple, and so on. This team also desperately needed a pivot that can let in Basculin, Charizard, or Leafeon which do not have an ability to freely switch in. Most of Persians purpose was to round out weaknesses against opposing threats and offensive teams. Foul Play and Power Gem allowed Persian to hit Articuno, Charizard, Perrserker and what not.

:leafeon::charizard::basculin::dugtrio-alola::persian-alola::dachsbun:
006.png

Dachsbun @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Press
- Roar

The last addition to this team is Dachsbun. Now Dachsbun is definitely an awkward choice for a team this offensive, but it is there for one key reason: Roar :totodiLUL:. Roar gives me the ability to phase out threatening sweepers, predominately those who use Substitute. Dachsbun provides wish support mostly for itself, while also occasionally healing the team--which lacks recovery entirely--if necessary. Dachsbun provides a check to Charizard and Pyroar as well as a softer check to the ever threatening Rotom-Frost. I didn't bother investing speed into Dachsbun as it's speed tier is quite awkward and I preffered its bulk.

Here is the final replay I have of this team to fully showcase it's capacity.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9pu-1909952076-28q8rimb5iznk3rpa75398ly5b0de66pw

ADAPTATION

This is the part of the RMT where I adapt this team to the new meta. Thank you to gum for the help. And as a courtesy to you, the reader, here's each mons butt because I read back sprites as black sprites.

Small changes:

Leafeon (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
Jolly Nature
- Trailblaze
- Body Slam
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance

Leafeon has been updated to a more meta friendly set with Heavy Duty Boots to combat the hazard stack from lovely Whiscash and Carbink as well as it's own sustainable recovery! Leafeon will function about the same except it can be brought out more frequently during the game.

Persian-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Fur Coat
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot/U-Turn

Now we got big girl Persian who has magically transformed from a Choice Scarf user into a wearer of the boots with the fur (with the fur). This is just the best Persian set imo and has a lot of late game potential. You can go with either Parting Shot or U-Turn depending on Carbinks current usage. I think Carbink isn't good and therefore I prefer Parting Shot. You do you boo :)

dachsbun.png

Dachsbun @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Roar

Now it's time to bring back the LOAF :toast:! Dachsbun was always barely on this team, but now it's a permanent generational member. Wyrdeer, while not being the best Pokemon, is singlehandedly the most annoying Pokemon currently in the tier. This lovely chunker allows you to not lose to it and roar it out. You also maintain the Rotom Frost, Charizard, and Tauntless Pyroar check. You additionally have more spdef for the formerly mentioned Pokemon with a tid bit of speed and Play Rough to hit Gengar's demon younger brother.

Big changes:

Pyroar (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unnerve
Tera Type: Electric
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Tera Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Despite its weakness to stampeding wildebeest, this monster has very few switch ins. The addition of Chansey is certainly annoying, but granted its usage is low and you have Taunt, it's not the worst. Pyroar gives additional speed in the wake of Persians deleted Choice Scarf with Tera Electric benefitting the shaky Charizard matchup and preventing Electrode from being Electrode (e.g. volt switch, Volt Switch, VOLT SWITCH AGAIN! :trode:) Pyroar gives you the dual stab breaking power Charizard possesses, with the addition of Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and more speed.

Whiscash @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 124 Def / 104 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Body Slam

It's ya boy sleezy W giving you the weirdest stare Game Freak has ever invented :worrycargo:. Whiscash is an amazing way to prevent Electrode from doing its things and also making Pyroar, Charizard, Frostom, Persian, and other special attackers lives a little more difficult. Not to mention it is impossible to keep this guy from setting Stealth Rocks and maintaining them for the entire game. Gum came through with some tips on the spread. This Whiscash is able to munch 2 Blizzards from Rotom Frost after stealth rock with ease, and has the defense to handle Lycanrock-Dusk better. It is your all around defensive wall with wish pass suport and the beauty of Stone Edges that kill Charizard and Body Slams that paralyze everyone and your moms boyfriend.

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Sludge Bomb
Now I think Haunter should potentially receive a suspect test :psycry:, but it's probably just about balanced. With Scarf, this Pokemon serves as one of the best revenge killers in the tier with phenomenal coverage. It's ability to Trick Chansey is also a big boost. That being said, Chansey and Wyrdeer as Normals, the few viable Steels, and also the ghosts, make Haunters life more difficult as all 3 of its attacks have immunities in addition to a number of resistances. You need to play smart and calculate your usage as Haunter is frail, taking over 30% from an uninvested and resisted Gogoat Horn Leech for example.

Some replays for those who have prepared popcorn :sphearical::

slay slay slay
la la la
pop pop pop
woo ooo ooo
last one promise

I don't want to spend a lot of time on weaknesses since the meta is in flux. But weather and fat things like Chansey, Swalot, Skuntank and combinations of them are difficult to play around. Everything can be played around and it highly depends on the full 6.
dachsbun.png
THE END

You have made it to the end of my random PU RMT after playing the tier for only 7 short weeks. I really love this tier and one of my goals for myself on this site this year is to expand my knowledge and contributions to several tiers. This is my first non UU RMT and my first RMT with the fist badge so it's very exciting. I appreciate you all for reading and do honestly recommend PU as a tier for people looking for something new. Unlike other tiers who have a large pool of Pokemon to pick from (e.g. UU players can use RU, NU, and even PU Pokemon), PU only has itself and NFE. There is a surprising amount of innovation in this tier and it is quite easy to pick up and learn. The new tiering changes have brought more variety to the tier including more viability for hyper offense and balance structures. PULT is currently running. That is a link to round 1 which might be over, depending on when this is posted. Go ahead and sign up and explore the wonders of the tier. 1000 FCKN POSTS! Now time for shoutouts...

jay you've been an amazing friend to have on this site brother

Thank you to pdt and Drud for drafting me. Shoutout to all the Mags Dj Breloominati♬ DJ Dib Dab Fogbound Lake tier Xiri Lily Xrn Hera BlackKnight_Gawain bb skarm Baloor Akir ManOfMany LpZ Taka TheKingKarp you're all legends

tlenit Togkey gum kythr DugZa ya'll are some of the best PU'ers imo and I've def watched your replays and taken inspiration in order to learn and improve in this tier.

Yellow Paint Ticken awyp Oathkeeper style.css the goated B101. Thank you for accepting me among your ranks.

vivalospride Accel Sage Fragments Heysup avarice pdt Estarossa NoahDeKnight BigFatMantis Ninja haxlolo Slip JustFranco Expulso Amukamara Feliburn rs PrinceOfAllTacos Frixel Sirwings pokemonisfun Lyssa umbry Meru Javi MichaelderBeste2 Bouff Askov kenny innovamania hariyana grande KM TDK A Cake Wearing A Hat Pearl Finchinator aim UU contributors.

Everyone in these shoutouts is there because at some point or another--in my 6+ years on this site--you have offered me guidance, been an acquaintance or a friend, supported me, listened to me, talked to me, forgiven me, taught me, inspired me and/or helped shape me into the person and player I am today. I owe all of you my incalculable gratitude. As most of you know, Pokemon Showdown is not merely a simulator; it is a platform in which we bring very real aspects of our characters--often ones we are scared to show in real life. And on this site we are met with more respect and love than we often are given elsewhere. We don't just compete, we willingly contribute to a wonderful community and you are all a huge reason why I log onto this site every day and choose to keep working and aspiring to win. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

All the best,
- (its)justdrew​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)