SS OU A (semi)decent Hyper Offense

Introduction
After playing balance and bulky offense for a long time, I finally felt like play HO. It's probably my favourite playstyle and I hadn't played it since the last days of Isle of Armour.

Looking around I found pretty much only teams with rilla/Koko+lucha. Even though I like this core, I wasn't in the right mood, so I decided to build a team myself, centred around one of my favourite mons, that has also seen a recent rise in usage: Bisharp.

I'll start by saying that I built the team pretty quickly and it worked out decently first try, probably the synergy can be improved.
I found :bisharp: to work nicely with a double dragon core, :garchomp: +:dragonite:, as he can remove fairies, ice types and most importantly Pult. :Volcarona: was easy to fit in too, as tran, ttar and blissey get destroyed by our team. I then added :gengar:, with the set I found here to not instantly lose to stall and have a Mon with a spammable move that could chip away enemy team. I found out later gengar can really help other mons sweep. Last :mew: seemed the best choice as a lead that could reliably set up rocks.

The team

:ss/bisharp:

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Classic sd set. Black glasses over life orb, otherwise it gets worn down too quickly. In the team works more as a breaker, often dying in a trade with a wall, but it can sweep team at times. I love bisharp on hyper offense paired with spikes as the opponent has to choose between hazard and a free +2 Atk. Oftentimes that leads to bisharp taking 2-3 kills and then the game is almost over.

:ss/garchomp:

Garchomp (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Another classic set, it's one of the best set-up sweeper of the tier. It's got good coverage and can deal huge damage even unboosted. With a bit of support this thing is really dangerous and often sweeps. When there are many checks on the opponent team it isn't dead weight as EQ always hit hard.

:ss/Dragonite:

Dragonite (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Yeah, you might have noticed that the set are pretty standard. DD dnite just works well. It's so easy to get of 2 DD and start breaking/sweeping. Multiscale is useful to absorb damage and get out some nasty situations. Ice punch is to kill lando-t, that otherwise would be hard to deal with.

:ss/volcarona:

Volcarona (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

Our last proper set-up sweeper and wincon. Really appreciates the help of the team. After just a single quiver dance is unstoppable, if you have taken out his counters. I'm debating whether to keep Giga drain or swap it for psychic as they both have pros and cons.

:ss/gengar:

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

It's a really interesting set, that works as a stallbreaker. Here is fully explained, but I'll do it briefly. The concept is to abuse passive Mons, mainly blissey, to set up and then sweep. Shadow Ball+focus blast provide nearly perfect coverage and it hits hard even without boost. It can work as a wall breaker and a revenge killer. The sash has saved me more than once. Paired with taunt is really good against HO as it can prevent a sweep by the opponent and/or get a key kill.

:ss/mew:

Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Flare Blitz

Last... Our lead. Mew is incredibly bulky (doesn't get OHKOed by specs pult's shadow ball) and has a really good speed: the only common rocker it doesn't outspeed is jolly chomp. It offen sets up sr plus a couple layers of spikes. Taunt helps keep away hazard from our side and on the opponent's one. Flare blitz is a nice way to get out quickly, while doing some damage. Hazards are important not only for the chip, that can come in clutch, but also as invites the opponent to defog, activating defiant.

Threats
During my testing, up to about 1450 ELO, I didn't found any significant single, fairly common, threat. When I lost the matches I always blamed myself for not being concentrated enough to identify the sweeper that had the best match up and remove his checks, rather than a problem in the team. The only time I lost really badly was to a stall team with a imprison-transform Mew. If you can keep up pressure, you'll probably win against balance and bulky offense.
I haven't encountered trick room yet.

Weather

It's every HO main threat and this team is no exception. Every kind of weather is hard but the absolute worse are :dracozolt: and :barraskewda:. The only reliable way to deal with such teams is to kill their weather setter early on and then wait until it goes away. However, if the opponent is any good, he will keep his setter healthy and sweep.

Conclusion
I haven't got any replay, but the team is pretty straightforward to play. It doesn't require any crazy prediction or switching, just being aware which Mon has the best chance to sweep, but you probably already knew it.
The importable: :bisharp::garchomp::Dragonite::volcarona::gengar::mew:
I'm by no means a top player and the team can be improved for sure. I think it works decently and is very fun to play.

I thank you for following me this far and will gladly appreciate any suggestion.

A personal favorite dragonite set of mine I like to use is: dragon dance, fire punch, ice punch, earthquake. It’s up to you but if you find your team has a hard time with kartana this set is good. And yeah I love playing HO cause I’m impatient but dislike building it because I feel like all HO teams are super similar and you have to follow a sort of strict guideline

Very nice HO team, only minor advice, I think you should consider jolly over adamant on dragonite because adamant can't outspeed koko, pult, and zeraora at +1 Spe

edit : or maybe you can keep adamant but change ice punch with extremespeed to deal with weather sweeper, but it will be harder to deal with landot and opposing garchomp

Last edited:
nice team i would advice to use psychic on volcarona instead of giga drain to hit toxapex hard, giga drain can be pretty hepful but its imo better if u can set up multiple quiver dances if u setup mostly 1 or 2 quiver dances then psychic might work better and maybe jolly over adamant on dragonite and you can try explosion over flare blitz on mew for the even harder hit and it can also block defog since u ko yourself your opponents defog will end up failing because of no target everything else seems picture perfect to me i would love to try this team out.

A personal favorite dragonite set of mine I like to use is: dragon dance, fire punch, ice punch, earthquake. It’s up to you but if you find your team has a hard time with kartana this set is good. And yeah I love playing HO cause I’m impatient but dislike building it because I feel like all HO teams are super similar and you have to follow a sort of strict guideline
I haven't had problems dealing with kart, but it seems a really interesting set
Very nice HO team, only minor advice, I think you should consider jolly over adamant on dragonite because adamant can't outspeed koko, pult, and zeraora at +1 Spe

edit : or maybe you can keep adamant but change ice punch with extremespeed to deal with weather sweeper, but it will be harder to deal with landot and opposing garchomp
Thanks for the advice. I had thought about going jolly, but chose adamant for extra power. I might reconsider it, if I find myself struggling with fast Mons. Ice punch is need imo as lando easily kills 3 members and garchomp gets heavily damage to kill lando-t and can't sweep anymore.
nice team i would advice to use psychic on volcarona instead of giga drain to hit toxapex hard, giga drain can be pretty hepful but its imo better if u can set up multiple quiver dances if u setup mostly 1 or 2 quiver dances then psychic might work better and maybe jolly over adamant on dragonite and you can try explosion over flare blitz on mew for the even harder hit and it can also block defog since u ko yourself your opponents defog will end up failing because of no target everything else seems picture perfect to me i would love to try this team out.
Pex was the main reason I hadn't decided yet, I'll switch for sure. Flare blitz is really nice against Ferro, Corviknight, Skarmory and Scizor. Also you can come back later, defog isn't a problem as you have taunt instead. I'd be really happy knowing that someone uses my team.

Last edited:
Cool team bro. I think a more defensive volc could help agains Lele cuz that mon looks like a huge threat to your team. Love me some good HO

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic/Bug Buzz

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic/ Bug Buzz

One of them is to get more defense but outspeed zera at +1 and the other one is to outspeed scarf lele as well as lando at plus one. The extra speed on the volc imo is kinda usless you vs a galar zap but that's a speed tie anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)