National Dex A Song Of The Forest--Fairium Z Whimsicott Mono Grass (NDM)

Hi all! It's Athy, your local idiot and also local Big Grass subscriber. I've been laddering NDM off and on since the inception of the gen (and even before that, though I saw noticeably less success in gen 8) Finally hit a score I can be proud of, so I figured I'd post the team that got me all the way there.
top 50 bangbang.png
(It's me!)
The whole team: https://pokepast.es/ed6a8d9909661973
:bw/whimsicott:
Trickster (Whimsicott) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Defog
This mon is... fascinating. It's really not that strong, or that effective, but Fairy is such useful coverage defensively and offensively (Namely, you don't instantly lose to Kommo-O, aslong as you predict the Z move properly.) that it still puts in work. Moonblast and Energy Ball are self-explanatory stab moves, HP Ground hits both the poisons and steels that come in on Moonblast (Though, you're not doing more than 30% to them. Still worth clicking, especially into Gholdengo.) and Defog is emergency hazard removal. I used to have U-Turn in that last slot, but I didn't feel like losing removal-less mirrors so I figured I'd slot Defog. Fairium Z is a one time "hey this actually hurts" button, you NEED to predict properly with it otherwise you'll do nothing but in the right circumstances it puts in work. The big thing is coming in on Kommo-O on Dragon and some miscallenous threats on Fighting and Dark, and then popping the Z or just clicking moon to drop something. Infiltrator was originally chosen when I had no status moves (turn over defog) and wanted the utility, but even after slotting in Defog it makes for excellent substitute counterplay. Sub can be annoying for my passive-ish defensive core, and Whimsicott being Inflitrator helps with that.

:bw/ferrothorn:
AAAAAAAAAAAAA (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

I had a lot to say about Whimsicott. I have noticeably less to say about Ferrothorn. It does ferrothorn things, what do you want from me? It switches into non-Specs Gholdengo on Ghost or Steel and throws out a Knock, switches into the entirety of Electric not named Zapdos and clicks Knock or Spikes, switches into most psychic or fairy types, so on and so forth. Blud just switches into everything and everyone and takes negative damage from everything it's crazy. Gyro Ball is generally a 100+ BP spammable attack into Fairy or Ice or Rock, which helps ease the Ice mu nicely (More on that later). Spikes is spikes, Leech Seed is healing, Knock is knock.

:xy/venusaur_mega:
(He doesn't have a bw sprite)
Di Immortales (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

So you know how I said Ferrothorn switches into everything and takes negative damage? Well, say hello to the other pokemon that takes literally negative damage. Like, he straight up eats attacks from all sorts of pokemon. I challenge you to find a fire or ice move that unboosted OHKOs this thing. I'm pretty sure there aren't any. Set is stolen from gen 8 NDM resources, it's extremely standard. Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain chunk things for surprisingly respectable damage for a mon that's defensive, keeping it from being truly passive. HP Fire hits steels, though like Whimiscott you don't hit them that hard. Synthesis is self-explanatory, though this mon would be elite if it had Recover. Comes in on literally all of Electric sans Zapdos, comes in on all of water (including Gren, Ice Beam does like 30), comes in on like, all of Ice and Poison, et cetera. It just exists. And we love it for that.

:bw/cradily:
Flame's Bane (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Blast
- Recover

I'm a big Cradily believer. It being your rocker lets you run Spikes on Ferrothorn without compromising moveslots, having a move to smack Flying types is always nice, and Toxic helps in some matchups (Dirge is the big one). Plus, I just generally enjoy the mon. Comes in on basically all fire coverage, which can alleviate pressure on M-Venu, as it needs to get in safely to mega (it's only real flaw). Stuffs most Zapdos variants, in a pinch barely checks Galarian-Moltres, barely staves off Nidoking (though you don't do much back, sadly), and beats the Volcarona on Bug, should it be at full. It's a bit passive, so careful play is extremely necessary such as to not lose to the ghost horse or give Gholdengo too many free turns, but it puts in work almost every single game.

:bw/breloom:
(This mon being here is proof this team is old as fuck LMAO)
Undead Alice ♥ (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Bulldoze
- Mach Punch
Breloom is a fascinating pokemon. It's good, absolutely, but I find the biggest utility it provides is early game Sash abuse, sporing key threats, Bulldozing predicted Gholdengos or M-Venus or wtv, and throwing out Mach Punches to scare shit away. Rillaboom (who's at home for this team.) provides more mid-late game utility aswell as more direct support, but does not have Spore. I built this team at the onset of the generation, and I was still reeling from the Rillaboom murder in SV, and I figured I might as well use Breloom instead. It's been putting in work, for sure, but I still wonder if Rillaboom is better. Ah well, I've gotten into such a rhythm with this team that I do not feel it necessary to change it. If you steal this team and find Rillaboom better here, both feel free to switch it in and also tell me. This mon also completely cleaves Normal in two with a couple of good predictions, helps vs Dark, and is cruical vs Steel. Jolly is chosen over Adamant for faster variants of Heatran and slower variants of Gholdengo, as well as outspeeding non-Booster Valiant (and others in that speed tier) after a speed drop.

:sv/Meowscarada:
A Simple Trick (Meowscarada) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- U-turn

Meowscarada does Meowscarada things. Choice Scarf allows you to outspeed everything up to Scarf Greninja (which means you outspeed the entire tier bar Scarf Weavile [which I've never seen, so it's probably bad] and Scarf Spectrier.) Jolly is chosen for (Scarf) Gren, Cycle, Sneasler, RM, Cindrerachi, Valiant, and non-Scarf Eleki. Stabs are stabs, Flower Trick is useful for ID sweepers and Knock is probably the second best attacking move in the game. Play Rough hits the RM, Valiant, and Cycle that Jolly outspeeds in the first place, and U-Turn is probably the third best attacking move in the game. Not much to say about this mon. It's good. Use it.

Threat List
By type:
:bw/volcarona:
Do I need to explain this one? It's a Volcarona for Naga's sake. Your counterplay boils down to keeping Cradily at full for the entire match for the threat of Fire Blast or Bug Buzz. Also, Rock Blast may not kill Volcarona, and if that happens you're really fucked.
:pinsir_mega:
+2 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 354-418 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 566-668 (155.4 - 183.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 612-720 (162.7 - 191.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 480-566 (163.8 - 193.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Whimsicott: 408-482 (156.3 - 184.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 2184-2572 (836.7 - 985.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It is a good thing Ladder hates this mon.
:bw/scizor: :scizor_mega:
DWB variants beat Venu instead of Venu beating it. That's bad.
:buzzwole:
If M-Venu takes enough damage Buzzwole can break through. You also can't sacrifice anything for a free switch unless they die to rocks, and DWB variants are, just as Scizor is, a gigantic problem.

Everything else is only scary in theory, you can pivot around them and try to win the game before they do.
:moltres_galar:
Yeah I don't think I need to elaborate here. Cradily can maybe get it low enough in a pinch and Meowscarada barely outspeeds at +2 but still, it has a tendency to run away with games.
:bw/hydreigon:
Choice Specs requires perfect prediction such as to not get rolled by a cheeky Draco/Flash Cannon on Cradily when you call Flamethrower, Sub NP will take those reactive plays and force a KO without aggressive Whimsicott predictions.
:sableye_mega:
Ngl this mon is only here for being a bitch. Whimsicott and Meowscarada can kind of stop it with Moon and Play Rough but you really hate getting bounced on leech/spikes/rocks/toxic.
:muk_alola:
Whimsicott is your Dark wincon and this guy pulls up and says "nuh uh."

It's dark, everything is a threat, just try and position Whimsicott and Scarf Meow to clean.
:bw/kyurem:
>The opposing Kyurem used Substitute!
Sub Roost rolls you, scarf probably rolls you, specs DEFINITELY rolls you (specs ice beam 2hkos ferro LMFAO). Just minimize its impact by way of Meowscarada and Whimsicott.
:Kommo-o:
Whimsicott is here to prevent Z Taunt Drain Flame 6-0ing you on preview. Even still... Flamethrower on the switch is almost ruinous.
:Baxcalibur:
145 attack ice type mon with both Swords and Dragon Dance, and titanic bulk.
Bulk so titantic, in fact, that:
252 Atk Protean Meowscarada Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 282-332 (76 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO it lives scarf Meow Play rough, comfortably. Yeah fuck this mon.
:dragalge:
I love dragalge a lot. But man, is this mon hard to break.

Again Whimsicott and Scarf Meow is your best friend.
:bw/Zapdos:
Hurricane is the worst move in competitive Pokémon Hurricane is the worst move in competitive Pokémon Hurricane is the worst move in competitive Pokémon Hurricane is the worst move in competitive Pokémon Hurricane is the worst move in competitive Pokémon

:Iron_Hands:
This mon throws hands. Deals a shit ton of damage, is impossibly bulky, and overall will punch you in the face. Swords Dance is the worst, though Assault Vest is tricky to handle too.

:Raichu_Alola:
Yeah I mean its the fastest thing on the field, has a Mach Punch resistance, and the coverage to hit all your comfortable switchins. What more do u want from me.

Electric is a generally comfortable matchup, as long as Zapdos doesn't hax you and you can Toxic the Hands.
:Iron_Valiant:
Yeah fuck this mon. Scarf is an issue SD is a bigger issue under Reflect you don't revenge it it's impossibly fast et cetera.
:Tapu_Lele:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 126-148 (35.7 - 42%) -- 89.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele on a critical hit: 195-229 (69.3 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is the one (one) time I miss Zarude. Otherwise it's objectively worse but at least it fucking kills Lele.
:bw/Clefable:
CM 6-0s, no contest. Not literally but M-Venu loses the 1v1 barring a crit so.
Pink Genie Mon
Superpower is technically manageable unless they're Zen Headbutt, CM is technically manageable if you get enough chip, but the mon could be either and playing around both is tricky.

Fuck fairy.
(Refer to mons in the type they come in first alphabetically. I'm not repeating myself.)
:Gallade_Mega:
Can we talk about how effortlessly this mon dismantles Grass? Like, it has no switchins. At all. If it comes in it's getting a KO, and due to it's deceptive bulk you HAVE to pop Z to consistently kill it. Meow is a fucking roll.
252 Atk Protean Meowscarada Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gallade-Mega: 272-324 (98.1 - 116.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Technically you can try and pivot Meow in on a psychic move, however you need Meow alive to not instantly lose and as such it is extremely risky.
:Zapdos_Galar:
Scarf 6-0s Band 6-0s. Anything this mon does 6-0s. It doesn't matter. You will die a painful, horrible, death. Scarf Meow forces it out but not after something dies.
:hawlucha:
GZap but more immediate.

Everything else, pick a god (M-Venusaur) and pray.
All 6 mons on the opposing team can and will 6-0 you. This section is redundant.
Technically, not everything on Flying 6-0s. However it's everything except Landorus-Therian. Section is redudant.
:Spectrier:
Scarf is terrifyingly fast and I've been called out by it a few times. The other sets are kind of manageable. It's just scarf.
:sv/Skeledirge:
No explanation required.
:bw/Shedinja:
You have 5 moves that can kill it. That's it.
:Gholdengo:
Man fuck Gholdengo. Mon comes in on basically your entire team, threatens them all out, and then blasts you with powerful attacks.

It's ghost.
Your own sanity, Grass mirrors typically take a very long time as both types are very defensive. M-Venu Stall wars are real.
:bw/celebi:
My goat. Also, Nasty Plot sets can break through, if they find that free turn. You can always sacrifice Ferrothorn in this matchup though, as it's not very useful.
I'm referring to the viability rankings for this, and Gastrodon sitting alone in S is funny to me.
:bw/Landorus:
Nasty Plot sets scary :(
:bw/Mamoswine:
Banded Icicle Crash scary :(
:bw/Nidoking:
Sheer Force Sludge Wave scary :(

It's ground though, so just like kill them first. Z pops Lando-I after some chip.
:Ninetales_Alola:
25% Synthesis means Venusaur isn't an answer, and so you have to go Ferrothorn to stop this mon. Also, in Gen 8 you killed with Gyro--which you don't anymore, due to Snow.
:bw/Cloyster:
Little stops it from getting a shell smash, which means it cleans you.
:Darmanitan_Galar:
OO AA MONKE OO AA I CLICK FIRE MOVE
just sacrifice something and figure it out from there

This is probably the most offense heavy matchup. You need to kill them first.
:Zoroark-Hisui:
It's just the Z sets being kind of scary. Cradily can stall out non-Focus variants, though vs Focus you just want chip into a Meowscarada revenge.
:bw/Staraptor:
This mon hits like a freight train. Nuff said. I know it runs Defensive on normal which is a lot more manageable but choice sets roll you.
You're gonna lose this one basically no matter what. Your offensive core has nothing for poison types (Bulldoze Breloom is cute but doesn't help, its just for Gholdengo) your defensive core gets outstalled.
:bw/Victini:
Do I need to say anything? I mean, actually I should--because Choice sets let Meowscarada click Knock. The real issue is Z Celebrate Stored. You need to hope it's stabs EBall so Cradily can come in and get some damage to put it into Meowscarada range. If it's focus just forfeit.
:Armarouge:
Z Celebrate Stored Victini but slightly worse.
:Hatterene:
Magic Bounce is an annoying ability, dismantles your defensive core.

Just kill them first 4head
:Diancie_Mega:
Can be kind of scary due to how strong it is, but you have a Whimsicott and Meowscarada to help with it.
:Glimmora: & :Nihilego:
Grouping these two together since they're similar, strong poison type attackers that wear down Ferrothorn and Cradily fast. And if Nihi's HP Fire it's joever.
:Aerodactyl_Mega:
A new sky dawns. Anyways DD/Stone Edge/DWB/Fire Fang 6-0s LOL
:Cradily:
If you're the based set (Stockpile/Meteor Beam/Giga Drain/Recover) you might actually beat Ferrothorn 1v1 and win the game.

But it's rock. Just kill them. Lol.
:bw/Heatran:
Taunt 6-0s, Eruption 6-0s. I wanted to mention this in particular because non taunt can be beaten, and you're losing to Steel anyway (you cant break through), so if you're anything like me I'd suggest minimizing diff.
lmao its water
Anyways, Toxapex is a bit of a bitch as always, but you can handle it. And Volcanion can pop Cradily if it double crits, which is the kind of luck Water players get.

I'll add replays later (someone get mad at me if I don't)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexmonotype-1883201729 (VS Fire, It's games like this that make me a Cradily believer.)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1883261812-mmrcd21muhikersovf3fknrwfr7b7u3pw (vs ice)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1896148315-igsd06v6kyfsmgij39q9mgqtdqarnk2pw (vs bug)

Conclusion
Hey, thanks for reading! I said a lot of stuff in this RMT, and you're pretty cool if you read it all :). A Song of the Forest is my favorite song, so I'd appreciate it if you gave that a listen too. If there's anything you want me to explain about the team, or any suggestions you have, I am totally open! Just, like, be respectful about it, please?

kinda funny how whimsicott is the star of the show and breloom got the most words

1) updated peak as i recently got a bit higher on the ladder, added a couple replays
2) Updated peak again, added a bit about Inflitrator, rewrote threatlist

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)