Monotype A Team That'll *Rock* Your Socks Off! [Monotype]

Introduction:
Hello, here with a Rock Monotype RMT. Some people reading this might know me as Chimplup, and that I've been using Rock for way too long awhile now, so I've decided to retire this team and share it with anyone that wants it. It could use a few tweaks here and there, but I think each member of the team is pretty solid in what they do. I would love some input though, especially with my EV spreads.

Teambuilding Process:
I built this team way back when Diancite was just introduced into the game and received Earth Power from the ORAS tutors. It seemed super cool to try out over Mega Aggron since it could finally smack Steels and sweep Fighting Monotypes in just the right conditions. I lost a really nice blanket check for tons of physical attackers when switched out Mega Aggron, so to make up for it, I just opted for an offensive Sticky Web playstyle. With Choice Band Terrakion, Mega Diancie, and Sticky Web Shuckle, I saw that I had a lot of power. The rest of the team was added because they take hits and remove troublesome Pokemon for the offensive core really nicely. Anyways, onto the team!

Meet the Team!

Shuckle @ Mental Herb

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off​
Here's my dedicated lead! Sticky Web is extremely valuable to this team, as many opposing Choice Scarf Pokemon can easily steamroll right through my team, and Sticky Web helps me patch that issue right up. It also allows me to run Choice Band Terrakion instead of Choice Scarf, which I'll talk about later. Seriously though, Mega Diancie + Band Terrakion under Sticky Web is a serious threat. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, and Shuckle sets it very reliably. Encore prevents opposing setup sweepers from taking advantage of Shuckle and, if my hazards are already down, it allows me to get in the next teammate with more ease. Knock Off
provides really useful support, removing Doublade's Eviolite, Heracross's Choice Scarf, Skarmory's Rocky Helmet, etc. You could replace it with Toxic or something, really just a matter of preference (Knock Off is much more useful imo). Lastly, Mental Herb guarantees that I can set at least one hazard (although it is often two), as it bypasses Taunt users. Believe me, getting Sticky Web up even after Infernape uses Taunt is extremely valuable vs. Fighting Monotype. When using Shuckle, just focus on getting down hazards down ASAP. It's a real shame that Shuckle lacks a good "suicide" or pivoting move, but if you Encore your opponent, you can usually switch in another teammate safely. If Shuckle doesn't faint early on, you can actually just use it as something to just sack. It sounds strange, but if you can't hard switch, say, Rhyperior into Aegislash, just switch in Shuckle!

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm

- Earth Power
- Protect
Hardhitter #1! If Shuckle has a poor matchup with the opponent's likely lead (basically Mega Sableye), I lead with Mega Diancie. A serious powerhouse and one of the few good Rock-type special attackers, Mega Diancie also provides some useful Speed to the team, outpacing Keldeo, Garchomp, etc. The moveset is pretty self-explanatory - just a standard All-out Attacker. The 44 Atk EVs give me a better chance to OHKO Pokemon that have a lower Defense than Special Defense, like Gengar, Tentacruel, and Mega Gardevoir (which are serious threats) after Stealth Rock. I don't think that not running 252 SpA EVs really changed much, although I haven't run enough calcs to be sure. I try to Mega Evolve early since Magic Bounce helps me deal with Will-o-Wisp users and deter the opponent from using entry hazards, which is especially important, seeing that most of my team hates burns and has no hazard control. It also helps me revenge kill with more ease later on in the match, since Diancie is my fastest Pokemon.

Terrakion @ Choice Band

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack​

Hardhitter #2, Mega Diancie's partner in crime! This is one of my favorite things to run on Rock, and Mega Diancie + Sticky Web complements it very well (for example, Mega Diancie removes Mega Sableye for Terrakion, and Sticky Web lets it outspeed Specs Keldeo and OHKO it). Basically, Terrakion fires off Close Combat and Stone Edge throughout the match... that's really about it. Earthquake isn't used much, but it still is needed to hit Doublade and Aegislash, who wall it otherwise. Quick Attack is the only form of priority on the team and is used decently enough, despite the really low power, picking off weakened Belly Drum Azumarill or possibly a -2 Defense (after Close Combat) Heracross. If I do manage to get Sticky Web and Stealth Rock up, Terrakion can easily either pave the way for Mega Diancie to sweep by breaking down lots of walls or even sweep late-game. Basically, anything that doesn't resist Close Combat will just be 2HKOed (to help put it into perspective, 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 243-286 (45.9 - 54%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery). For that reason, playing aggressively with Terrakion has a huge payoff. Terrakion is easily one of the most important members of the team.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
/
/
- Ice Punch / Earthquake / Pursuit
One of the fattest special walls around, Assault Vest Tyranitar acts as my blanket check for the special attackers that trouble my team. Offensive Quiver Dance + Giga Drain Volcarona, Mega Diancie, Gengar, Nidoking, Latios, you name it. TTar needs to be at ~100% HP to check those, so you will need to play carefully. Stone Edge and Crunch are the two ever-important STABs, Fire Blast takes care of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and other bulky Steel-types, and the final slot is pretty flexible. Ice Punch (or Ice Beam if you really wanna hit Landorus-Therian hard on the switch) nails the x4 Ice weak like Garchomp (you live Earthquake), Gliscor, and Landorus (T). I'm considering using Earthquake (I probably should) to hit Nidoking, Magnezone, and Heatran really hard, and Pursuit provides useful offensive support for Terrakion, who needs Ghost- and Psychic-types removed in order to spam Close Combat. 132 Attack EVs lets me 2HKO 252/252+ Slowbro, and the rest of the EVs were dumped into bulk.

Cradily @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Toxic
/
- Mirror Coat / Earth Power
Although I hate running Cradily on Sticky Web offense, it's nearly necessary since it is still a great Scald absorber for Rock. It's my main switch-in for Ground-types like Garchomp, Hippowdon, Mega Swampert, Gastrodon, etc. It also soft checks a few Grass-types, like Breloom, who is Toxic stalled, or damaged just a bit to remove the Focus Sash to allow Mega Diancie to revenge kill it. Giga Drain lets you decently hit Ground-types and a little bit of extra healing couldn't hurt. Recover and Toxic lets it wear down walls throughout the match. Mirror Coat lets you surprise Serperior and Mega Venusaur who basically 6-0 this team otherwise. Earth Power is ok too though, but it really doesn't do much to anything that isn't weak to it. The EV spread lets Cradily barely avoid a 2HKO from non-Life Orb Breloom and proceed to whittle away at its health.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers

Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche​

Last but not least, Rhyperior acts as my main answer to offensive Steel-types. This can almost be seen as my Mega Aggron substitute, since it deals with Scizor, Excadrill, Jirachi, non-Power Whip Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc, if its HP is high enough. The moveset is geared toward hitting whatever it needs to check really hard. Earthquake for Jirachi and Excadrill, Stone Edge for Dragonite and Staraptor, Fire Punch for Scizor and Steels that are neutral to Ground, and Avalanche (or, if you prefer, Ice Punch) for Garchomp and Gliscor. The EV spread was taken right from SmogDex, but I haven't seen a reason to alter it. I'd really like to know if there's a more useful spread out there.

edit: changed to Weakness Policy with 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def with Impish Nature
Naturally, as a Rock Monotype, there are a ton of things that can outright sweep it easily in certain situations, situations that are annoyingly hard to prevent, which make it hard to use this team, or just Rock in general, honestly. (tl;dr im weak to a lot of stuff). This is not an all inclusive list, but you get the general idea.
Mega Venusaur - Stupidly bulky, and none of my Pokemon can hit it super effectively. Tyranitar can slowly whittle it down, using Sandstorm to reduce Synthesis's effectiveness and constantly using Crunch on it, but Mega Venusaur heals a good amount by simply using Giga Drain. Choice Band Terrakion hits it well and may KO weakened ones, and Mirror Coat Cradily can catch it by surprise, although Mirror Coat stinks after you lose the surprise factor.
Serperior - Probably the #1 threat. It takes advantage of Sticky Web, outspeeds everything, and OHKOes pretty much everything at +2, while only Tyranitar and Cradily can avoid an OHKO at +0. Hit the /forfeit at teambuilder, honestly.
Mega Medicham - If this has Bullet Punch, and you're against a competent player, just forfeit :[.
Mega Gyarados - This bypasses Cradily's Storm Drain, and can outspeed my entire team after one Dragon Dance. It uses Cradily as setup bait if it sets up a Substitute before Mega Evolving, and RestTalk versions set up on Cradily regardless.
Sand Rush Excadrill (+ Sand Steam Hippowdon) - I really need to play wisely to get rid of Excadrill. Rhyperior tanks one hit if it is at a high HP, but Rhyperior is pretty easy to wear down. Luckily, after the Smooth Rock ban, Mega Diancie can attempt to stall out Sandstorm with Protect, but Excadrill often nabs a kill every time it comes into anything that isn't Rhyperior.
(Mega) Scizor - Similar to Excadrill, Scizor's sweep is only stopped by Rhyperior, except I need to safely switch in Rhyperior ASAP since Scizor can set up Swords Dance.
Gliscor - Since Cradily is my only switch-in for Ground-types, Gliscor can easily take advantage of that by setting up a Substitute and proceeding to Toxic stall my team. Unless I can surprise it with an Ice attack, it usually wears down my team to where Gliscor's teammates can pick them off one by one.​

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic
- Recover

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche​

Conclusion:
Thanks for taking the time to read my RMT! I had a lot of fun making this team, so I hope, if you do decide to try it out, you enjoy using it too (Just uh, don't expect to have a stellar record with this team)! Once again, I'll say that I'd really like to have some input on anything about this team. I've been using it for awhile, and I still think it could see improvement somewhere... just not sure exactly where. Lastly, I honestly think it is a crime that Rock is used less than Ice in Monotype. Ice is seriously the worst ._. If you guys could use Rock more that would be cool ok gr8 thanx.

Last edited:
Hi Sirskit, cool team! Now, this team is already about as good as any rock mono will ever be, but perhaps a few smaller changes can be made. With the webs slowing down your opponent, Heal Bell > Protect on mega diancie can be considered to allow your team to take on mew without being permanently crippled by burns. This also can give you a better matchup against stall, who can abuse your lack of a boosting Pokemon to wall you out. You could also run Calm Mind in this slot to allow mega diancie to become an even more threatening sweeper, capable of completely destroying teams after a single boost. There isn't really much else to say, so again, fantastic team! Also, just so you know, the attack evs garuntee an OHKO on defensive Zapdos after stealth rocks, if you need to know whether it matters or not.

Hi Sirskit, cool team! Now, this team is already about as good as any rock mono will ever be, but perhaps a few smaller changes can be made. With the webs slowing down your opponent, Heal Bell > Protect on mega diancie can be considered to allow your team to take on mew without being permanently crippled by burns. This also can give you a better matchup against stall, who can abuse your lack of a boosting Pokemon to wall you out. You could also run Calm Mind in this slot to allow mega diancie to become an even more threatening sweeper, capable of completely destroying teams after a single boost. There isn't really much else to say, so again, fantastic team! Also, just so you know, the attack evs garuntee an OHKO on defensive Zapdos after stealth rocks, if you need to know whether it matters or not.
I'm not sure if I want to take out Protect on Diancie since being able to safely Mega Evolve and jump from base 50 Speed to base 110 Speed is really important when I need to antilead Garchomp or revenge kill Breloom. I really really would like using Heal Bell or Calm Mind, but it usually requires good prediction (which I don't have) to Mega Evolve unscathed if you don't use Protect. I see how curing a paralyzed/burned Terrakion could really change games and how Calm Mind steamrolls through lots of stuff late-game though, so I might try it out eventually. Thanks for the rate!

Hey SirSkit! You have a rly good rock team, you are known as 1 of the best rock users around, so I'm glad to see you RMT your team. I'd probably suggest trying Zen Headbutt > Quick Attack on Terrakion. This can help a bit against Mega Venusaur, and fighting especially under Sticky Webs. You can also try HP Fire > Earth Power on Diancie, since you have a lot of ground coverage as it is, and it can allow you to hit Skarmory, and even OHKO Scizor on switchin (makes Diancie not as useless in a steel matchup). Last thing id suggest trying is Curse Cradily, to keep the offensive flow of the team, and gives you a little more power in water and Ground matchups. I'll provide a set I've been using.

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Recover

The 144 attack evs allows Earthquake to 2KO Physical Defensive Mega Venusaur at +6 (this is a more of a last resort thing for me, in case it all goes down to that). But, self explanatory otherwise.

Otherwise man, love it! :)
Gonna tag scpinion and Acast so this can maybe be added to Team Showcase or be an official Starter Team!
Edit: Talked to Acast, we'd love to feature this as a starter team with your permission! :)
You can also try Weakness Policy Rhyperior. With my experience using rock, once fast sweepers like Magnezone are out, Rhyperior can actually sweep steel. Could be a bit more useful than leftovers.

Last edited:
Hey SirSkit! You have a rly good rock team, you are known as 1 of the best rock users around, so I'm glad to see you RMT your team. I'd probably suggest trying Zen Headbutt > Quick Attack on Terrakion. This can help a bit against Mega Venusaur, and fighting especially under Sticky Webs. You can also try HP Fire > Earth Power on Diancie, since you have a lot of ground coverage as it is, and it can allow you to hit Skarmory, and even OHKO Scizor on switchin (makes Diancie not as useless in a steel matchup). Last thing id suggest trying is Curse Cradily, to keep the offensive flow of the team, and gives you a little more power in water and Ground matchups. I'll provide a set I've been using.

Cradily @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 144 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Recover

The 144 attack evs allows Earthquake to 2KO Physical Defensive Mega Venusaur at +6 (this is a more of a last resort thing for me, in case it all goes down to that). But, self explanatory otherwise.

Otherwise man, love it! :)
Gonna tag scpinion and Acast so this can maybe be added to Team Showcase or be an official Starter Team!
Thanks for the rate! I think I'll stick with Quick Attack on Terrakion since both Stone Edge and Zen Headbutt 2HKO Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock, and a super effective Zen Headbutt barely outdamages Stone Edge, and I can hit most Fighting types hard enough with Close Combat instead.

HP Fire on Diancie does seem really interesting though since weakening Skarmory is super handy, but taking out Earth Power misses out on hitting a few things like Empoleon, Excadrill, and Doublade harder. I'll slash it onto the set, and just recommend switching between the two as you like on the ladder.

I actually haven't thought about running Curse Cradily on Rock before... It sounds really fun to try out honestly o.o I'll test it out on the team (although I might change the EVs to let Cradily avoid the 2HKO from Garchomp's EQ) and get back to you about what I think about it. Something that can (slowly) beat Mega Venusaur and bulky Waters is too good to overlook. Thanks again!

Edit: I think Rhyperior is a little too slow to sweep even under Sticky Web unless I remove some of its bulk for Speed, which isn't really ideal. I think some Rock teams use WP Rhyperior to OHKO bulky Mega Scizor and Mega Medicham after taking a hit, but losing leftovers makes Rhyperior a little too easy to wear down, imo :x Oh, and thanks for asking Acast for me, having this as a starter team on the website would be really neat o3o

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)