ORAS Ubers A two-phase Strike Force!

Hi! I am relatively new at the ubers tier and have finished putting together a team that I am comfortable with. It consists of a unique two-phase assault, the first a set-up, the second an all-out sweep attempt. So, here goes!

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Shiny: Yes
Serious Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Sticky Web
-U-turn
-Toxic

Now, I know what most people would be thinking right about now. Why is this n00b wasting one of his Pokemon slots with a Smeargle? Well, the answer is that what Smeargle does for the rest of the team is better than just having another Pokemon. Smeargle sets up a Sticky Web first, no matter what, as this is pivotal to my gameplay. He then proceeds to act smart, deciding whether or not to switch out or to lay down further hazards. Smeargle is simply not able to kill anything, so it doesn't even try.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhite
Ability: Parental Bond
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
-Fake Out
-Return
-Earthquake
-Power-Up Punch

Here's my Mega! It's pretty soon for it to come out, but this is where it's best used. This comes in right after Smeargle and kicks butt. This Pokemon can outspeed nearly everything in the Uber tier, allowing it to smash right through most leads. It comes in strong with Fake Out (obvious) and then proceeds to Earthquake or Return, whichever's better. Power-Up Punch can raise this Pokemon's attack x2 while doing damage, ideal for a nice sweep set-up. Kangaskhan can sometimes even sweep away an entire team, but it usually serves just to take down an opponent's lead as well as the first one or two follow-ups. Kanghaskhan is just a general sweeper, no specialties here.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Evs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
-Geomancy
-Moon Blast
-HP Fight
-Thunderbolt

Nothing special here, just the typical Geo-Xern set-up. There's a few different moves that I like to run on it, but apart from that there's nothing different. If you've ever played the Uber tier for long you'll know what happens here, I run Geomancy, Power Herb boosts it, then I try to sweep. Xerneas' main targets are Salamence-Mega and just any Dragon type that comes it's way.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spacial Rend
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

Nobody likes poor old Palkia, and I don't know why. It has great coverage against so many things and can just kick butt. I like to use this beast for just general sweeping. Spacial Rend hits so many criticals it's not funny and Hydro Pump seems to really surprise lots of people-it's like they just forget that Palkia's a dual type. Anyway, I like Palkia, and Palkia likes to destroy it's enemies. Blaziken-Mega is Palkia's main use, as Palkia can one-hit this.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Eruption
- Mega Kick
- Thunderbolt

Here we have a Kyogre killer. Groudon can do other things, but he just loves fighting Kyogre. His ability means that he cannot be hurt by water type moves, which lots of people still don't realise. Thus, I can usually get one or two free turn on my opponents before they realise what's going down. Past that, Groudon just tries to stay alive for as long as possible, killing whatever comes his way. As I said before, Kyogre's Groudon's main use, as it can easily destroy one.

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Rayquaza is just one bad-ass Pokemon. It's a Dragon that flies higher than the Ozone layer! What I do here is just hit things hard, very hard. Dragon Ascent and Outrage can both fetch at least 75-80% of most Pokemon's life. Rayquaza has no particular focused uses, just a general sweep.

General Team Strategy-This is a two-phase battle plan. Smeargle+Kangaskhan-Mega are phase one and the rest are phase two. Phase One is essentially a big set-up stage, which focuses on getting the field as good for me as possible. Stage two is composed of a gang of big bullies, four all-out sweepers. Thanks for surviving my awful, no-graphic post, and any feedback would be much appreciated!

Hey there,
Its cool to see Sticky Web again since it was my favorite playstyle in gen 6 I will take a look over it. I am not on my laptop so here is a reminder for me
Smeargle: Nuzzle / Spin
Xerneas: Focusblast /Aromatherapy
Kanga: Crunch > Fake Out
Arceus Ghost > Palkia
Groudon: SD Eq Dclaw Edge
SD Ray

I will explain you my suggestions whenever I am on my laptop.

Nuzzle allows you to paralyze Mega Diancie and Deoxys-S will always win vs Deoxys-S leads with Rapid Spin. It is the best set in my opinion.
The coverage in your Xerneas is kind of wierd because you can drop the Hidden Power because it has access to Focus Blast. Thunder will be better than Thunderbolt but I like Aromatherapy best on Xerneas, because it will make your day versus Klefkis easier.
Crunch Kanga is really good because it hits Giratina-O super effective which seems to be rather problematic, thats why you need Dragon Claw on Groudon in my opinion.
Palkia is really unviable this generation, so you better drop it for an Arceus. What I am thinking about is using either the Ground or Ghost version. Both work really great on Sticky Web and will help you a lot. It gives you more offensive pressure to avoid the Defog.
Banded Ray is not the best set if you play Sticky Web. SD hits much harder and can set up on many things.

I hope, I was able to help you, I will edit the post whenever I am on my laptop for the sets.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
I always meant to post on this thread but did not.

I can see that you're new just from your mon selection. :P
But that's perfectly OK! People like Steve and I are here to help you.
a few of your spreads are wack. First off, ill just go through your natures. Serious doesn't do anything at all for Smeargle, and you want the little bugger to be asfast as possible. Run a jolly nature instead as it only provides a benefit.
Kangaskhan has no reason to be running a Hasty Nature as you have no special attacks, as well as the fact that Ubers is a pretty physical meta. Run Adamant or Jolly instead, adamant if you want more power or jolly if you want to outspeed positive nature base 90s.
brave is bad on a specially based, speedboosting mon like Xerneas. Run modest instead, as it boosts your special attack and lowers your useless attack.
Steve covered pretty much everything else and I on my phone rn so ill give a full rate later.

Hi, TheHungrySage. Cool Team.

The art of using Sticky Web in Uber is very effective and fun to use. Do more offensive pressure if the opponent has that speed less. Everything is easier. Watching your team, not bad, you have good base. But I see the right moves. We will go by:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 SATK
Jolly Nature
-Taunt
-Sticky web
-Spikes
-Nuzzle

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhite
Ability: Parental Bond
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Return
-Earthquake
-Crunch / Sucker Punch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Evs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
-Geomancy
-Moon Blast
-HP Fire
-Thunderbolt

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Impish or Careful
Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

I have made all these changes so that it may go better and explode beyond the strategy. It's basically what I have told you, but wider. I hope you go through here, you see all messages, and if you keep playing with the same team, try to change.

PS: Some time ago my last team meeting this strategy. I think it was in the XY Ecuador. It went well, what little I played. So see if I've gotten help with the basics.

No offense to the above rater, but the rate has some very serious issues in terms of EV spreads.

1. All Primal Groudon in Ubers should run enough bulk to survive a +2 Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas. Max attack EV yet a Phys. Def boosting nature is puzzling. For a standard support Primal Groudon, you should run this spread:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed (if Lava Plume) or Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume / Stone Edge / Fire Punch / Dragon Claw
- Roar / Thunder Wave

Considering this is a Webs team, you should probably run Swords Dance instead (which means you should run Sticky Web / Taunt / Nuzzle / Stealth Rock on Smeargle). There are a number of different spreads, but you can start off with 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe and Adamant, with Swords Dance / Precipice Blades / Dragon Claw / Stone Edge or Fire Punch. 128 HP is the bare minimum to survive a +2 Focus Blast from GeoXern, and it requires SR to be off your side of the field. Dragon Claw is the main slash to better deal with Latias, Latios, Mega Salamence and Giratina-Origin, all common checks. Stone Edge deals with Ho-Oh and Lugia, while Fire Punch deals with Ferrothorn, Skarmory (both wall you to an extent without a Fire move), and Ground/Flying types in Gliscor and Landorus-Therian.

2. Mega Kangaskhan should NOT be running 252 SpD, some calcs:

120 SpA Soul Dew Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 70.3% - 80.1% (guaranteed 2HKO)
120 SpA Soul Dew Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 57.2% - 67.5% (guaranteed 2HKO)

0 SpA Primal Kyogre Scald in Heavy Rain vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 61.8% - 72.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)
0 SpA Primal Kyogre Scald in Heavy Rain vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 49% - 58.1% (96.9% to 2HKO)

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 130.7% - 153.8% (guaranteed OHKO)
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 103.4% - 121.6% (guaranteed OHKO)

252+ Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 72% - 84.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)
252+ Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 56.6% - 66.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)

Instead, you should be running 252 Speed and Jolly to guarantee the speed advantage against the oh so important 90 to 99 speed tier, which includes Xerneas, Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga, Kyurem-W and Rayquaza. It also speed ties you against offensive Palkia.

3. The spread on Geomancy Xerneas can also be optimized. I would recommend the following:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

44 Spe allows you to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect after a Geomancy boost; Focus Blast is your best weapon against Primal Groudon, and hits Ferrothorn as hard as HP Fire. The only thing HP fire has over FB is HP Fire hits Aegislash and hits Mega Scizor harder, but Primal Groudon is way more common than the latter two. 28 Def gives you a higher Phys. Def before boost, so Genesect can't come in and get a Download boost in Phys. Atk. Thunder is important because it is your best weapon against Ho-Oh and Aegislash.

4. Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed seems redundant on Rayquaza, especially on a Webs team. Consider using Swords Dance:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

or the MixQuaza set if you dislike the need for set up:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake/Fire Blast
- Extreme Speed

Thanks
No offense to the above rater, but the rate has some very serious issues in terms of EV spreads.

1. All Primal Groudon in Ubers should run enough bulk to survive a +2 Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas. Max attack EV yet a Phys. Def boosting nature is puzzling. For a standard support Primal Groudon, you should run this spread:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Relaxed (if Lava Plume) or Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume / Stone Edge / Fire Punch / Dragon Claw
- Roar / Thunder Wave

Considering this is a Webs team, you should probably run Swords Dance instead (which means you should run Sticky Web / Taunt / Nuzzle / Stealth Rock on Smeargle). There are a number of different spreads, but you can start off with 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe and Adamant, with Swords Dance / Precipice Blades / Dragon Claw / Stone Edge or Fire Punch. 128 HP is the bare minimum to survive a +2 Focus Blast from GeoXern, and it requires SR to be off your side of the field. Dragon Claw is the main slash to better deal with Latias, Latios, Mega Salamence and Giratina-Origin, all common checks. Stone Edge deals with Ho-Oh and Lugia, while Fire Punch deals with Ferrothorn, Skarmory (both wall you to an extent without a Fire move), and Ground/Flying types in Gliscor and Landorus-Therian.

2. Mega Kangaskhan should NOT be running 252 SpD, some calcs:

120 SpA Soul Dew Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 70.3% - 80.1% (guaranteed 2HKO)
120 SpA Soul Dew Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 57.2% - 67.5% (guaranteed 2HKO)

0 SpA Primal Kyogre Scald in Heavy Rain vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 61.8% - 72.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)
0 SpA Primal Kyogre Scald in Heavy Rain vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 49% - 58.1% (96.9% to 2HKO)

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 130.7% - 153.8% (guaranteed OHKO)
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 103.4% - 121.6% (guaranteed OHKO)

252+ Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0/0 Mega Kangaskhan: 72% - 84.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)
252+ Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0/252 Mega Kangaskhan: 56.6% - 66.9% (guaranteed 2HKO)

Instead, you should be running 252 Speed and Jolly to guarantee the speed advantage against the oh so important 90 to 99 speed tier, which includes Xerneas, Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga, Kyurem-W and Rayquaza. It also speed ties you against offensive Palkia.

3. The spread on Geomancy Xerneas can also be optimized. I would recommend the following:

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

44 Spe allows you to outspeed Choice Scarf Genesect after a Geomancy boost; Focus Blast is your best weapon against Primal Groudon, and hits Ferrothorn as hard as HP Fire. The only thing HP fire has over FB is HP Fire hits Aegislash and hits Mega Scizor harder, but Primal Groudon is way more common than the latter two. 28 Def gives you a higher Phys. Def before boost, so Genesect can't come in and get a Download boost in Phys. Atk. Thunder is important because it is your best weapon against Ho-Oh and Aegislash.

4. Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed seems redundant on Rayquaza, especially on a Webs team. Consider using Swords Dance:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

or the MixQuaza set if you dislike the need for set up:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake/Fire Blast
- Extreme Speed[/quote

Thanks for your help, this has greatly improved my battling

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)