National Dex A very fun (but very flawed) electric terrain electric spam team

Edit: Bax just got banned from nat dex so...
I guess replacing it with weavile would be okay: https://pokepast.es/b9a476314342c1b0
It does the same job but the lower attack stat, worse bulk and lack of earthquake definitely weakens the team a bit
And the Ursaluna BL ban is just one less ground type for the team to worry about, so I guess in a way it became better from its ban
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The paste: https://pokepast.es/4d3955515fbc7e7a

An extremely fun hyper offense electric spam team for National dex OU. Unsurprisingly, its very flawed due to the tier having a whopping 11 viable ground types. Also Ferrothorn and opposing terrain setters trouble this team alot. Additionally, it can’t do much against weather teams teams. It also hates tera ground being a relatively popular tera type. Neverless, Rising voltage becomes a whopping 182 base power move in electric terrain against grounded targets, so very few mons can take the move and its a very fun button it click. It has trick ring target support to try an deal with the ground types it struggles with, but this isn’t to reliable.

1699336790017.png

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

The teams electric terrain setter, making it vital to the team's purpose. It’s also an amazing pivot, with fast u-turns and a decent defensive typing. Terrain extender is necessary to make the most of electric terrain. Dazzling gleam is koko’s only attacking move. It’s useful mostly to hit dragons and specifically garchomp. Ring target is on this team, but garchomp is one of the few ground types to resist electric moves after being tricked a ring target. As such, a way to specifically hit garchomp hard is necessary. U-turn is obviously for pivoting so it can bring in its electric terrain abusing teamates easily. But it’s u-turns being naturally fast can make it hard to get them in safely. Roost is useful for longevity and to ensure koko can set electric terrain multiple times a game. It’s defog is this teams only hazard control. Unfortunately it’s near useless as defog removes terrain. It’s really only worth using defog if the opponent has set hazards that extremely limit this team like webs, max spikes, or max toxic spikes. it’s almost never worth defoging on just rocks and/or a single layer of spikes. EVs are for it to go first and live hits. Tera type is to live an earthquake in a pinch.

1699336820920.png

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Rising Voltage
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Xurkitree might seem weird, but its actually one of the teams strongest members. With its massive base 173 special attack, there aren't many non-immune Pokémon it cant 2HKO or OHKO with rising voltage in terrain. Even resists struggle to take this move. Beast boost gives it a special attack boost for every KO it gets, letting it sweep relatively easily. Scarf and a timid nature is necessary cause its base 83 speed stat isn't out speeding much. Even so, it is fodder to scarfers that out speed it and you have to work around them. It also struggles against future paradox mons cause they usually get an automatic speed boost from the terrain. While rising voltage's terrain boost doesn't effect un-grounded mons, most common un-grounded mons take neutral damage from rising voltage, and thus still can barely take the move (especially if Xurkitree has a few boosts). Volt Switch lets it do massive damage while pivoting if it isn't ready to sweep yet with rising voltage. Energy ball is its main way to hit ground type switch ins. OHKOing most Great Tusk builds and mega Swampert, has a good chance to OHKO Ursaluna-BL, and a really high chance to 2HKO spe. defensive Hippowdon. HP ice hits ground types switch ins that can take an energy ball. It 2HKO's specially defensive Gliscor and Lando-T and OHKO's most Garchomp builds. Unfortunately, its struggle to take on any other ground type. Spe. Def. Clodsire, Ting-Lu, Excadrill, and Iron Treads can all come into it easilly and can take anything that Xurkitree can throw at them. The only way it can get past is with ring target support. There are also a handful of spe. Def mons that it just can’t OHKO like heatran and blissey. It definitely sweeps best against weaken teams, but it can still do damage against healthy teams if it gets in safely Tera is almost always used on it to boost stab moves, making non immune mons take even more damage from rising voltage.

1699336834316.png

Rotom-Heat @ Ring Target
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 60 SpA / 20 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom Heat holds a ring target. The item is usually very niche but it serves an important purpose on this team. Ring target is to be tricked onto an opposing ground type, so the offensive electric types of team can hit it with rising voltage and volt switch on them. This completely neutralizes the ground type, letting the team perform much better and not be completely stopped by them. Of course, relying on ring target can be problematic. If you get the prediction wrong, you could very easily trick it on to a non-ground type. Also, it is limited in effectiveness against teams with multiple grounds (including tera grounds), which is not at all rare. If the opponent’s ground type is holding a mega stone or z- Crystal, trick will just fail, making rotom pretty useless for the match. Finally, if the opponent has a pokemon with an ability that gives it an immunity to electric, the team will struggle to take them, as ring target won’t rid them of their immunity. Fortunately, Ring target let’s rotom keep it’s ground immunity, making it the teams only real earthquake switch in. While rotom wash would probably fit on the team better both offensively and defensively, the main point of this team slot is to bait in ground types and then trick them. Most ground types are to scared to come in against hydro pump but not so much with overheat. Volt switch is great for pivoting. If the opponent doesn’t switch in their ground type, you can freely bring in something to check the switch in. If the opponent does bring a ground type, you stay in and get an opportunity to trick it a ring target. Will-o-wisp is an easier, albeit less effective, way to neutralize many ground types. Overheat is mostly useful to hit ferrothorn, but also just dishes out high neutral damage to a lot. EVs are for a good mix of damage, bulk, and speed. Tera type is for defensive utility.

1699336851223.png

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Originally, this team was a gen 8 OU team and regielki was in this slot. Specs transistor regielki hit rising voltages ridiculously hard. But, as a gen 9 national dex team, I can no longer use regielki due to its ban. So I chose mega manectric as a replacement. This slot is probably the one im the least sure on. It just needed to be a fast rising voltage user. I considered specs Zeraora and jolteon, another scarf user, and even something with Surge Surfer Alolan Raichu. I went with Manectric cause switching moves is really nice to deal with switch ins. Plus it has enough speed and power so it doesn’t need specs/scarf to do something in battle. Also, intimidate makes pivoting easier. Its power is significantly lower than Xurkitree’s so it can’t kill anything Xurkitree can’t kill, but being able to switch moves definitely mitigates this cause you can hit switch ins with your coverage moves. Rising voltage is the main attacking move and volt switch is for pivoting. Flamethrower is mostly just for ferrothorn but it also helps against rillaboom and bulky mega scizor. Originally hidden power was grass to hit water ground types, but I decided the hp ice was just better coverage. And coverage was more worth it on a mon that can switch moves. If you play well, you can get a spa attack boost before you mega with lighting rod.

1699336872691.png

Baxcalibur @ Life Orb
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Glaive Rush

Baxcalibur is this teams main ground type slayer. It can pretty much 2HKO any mon that Xurkitree can’t. Its an all out attacker mostly for four move slot syndrome. It really wants strong ice type stab to demolish ground types but also wants ice shard to hit ground types and dragon types that out speed it. Ice shard is also the teams only priority. Earthquake hits excadrill and iron threads harder then icicle crash but is also very important to hit electric type volt absorb and lighting rod mons, which this team obviously struggles with. And glaive rush is strong neutral damage which it really wants. Life orb is better than band or boots so it can switch from its regular attacks to ice shard without switching out and not lose a damage boost that would come from running boots. It doesn’t like the chip damage that comes from life orb and not having boosts, but it mostly works around it cause it only needs to come in once or twice per game to hit the ground type. I considered a loaded dice set with scale shot and icicle spear but its purpose isn’t to sweep and ice shard is usually enough for speed control. After the ground types are gone, bax works best as a sac, but that’s important to get the abusers in safely. Evs are self-explanatory. Ice tera type is to get a damage boost on its two ice moves in a pinch.

1699336890879.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder wave

Ferrothorn is a switch in to take damage for the rest of the team. It does this well thanks to its good typing and natural bulk. After it comes in it gets up rocks and does chip damage with iron barbs and stab moves to make the abuser’s job easier. Like bax, its okay to sac it to get in an abuser in. As long as its gotten in rocks up and sponged damage for the abusers, its done its main job. Rocks are obviously really good for the team, making Xurkitree a better killer. Power whip is a decent way to get rid of ground types. Even uninvested, it does a tiny bit more then Xurkitree’s unbooted energy ball. Gyro ball is for damage on opponents that resist grass type moves. Thunder wave is also utility to let the terrain abuser’s better sweep. Its amazing if it hits the opponent’s scarfer cause both abusers get out speed by naturally fast scarf holders. Leftovers is just for longevity. Evs are also for longevity. Tera type is ghost to take fighting over something like water to take fire cause the team has decent fire type switch ins in rotom heat and bax.

So please let me know what you think about this team. Any changes you think should happen? Is it salvable, or is it just inherently flawed?

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I think the big thing is that this team is going in a few directions, and theres a little too much overlap with electric types:

1. :iron valiant: :sneasler: over :ferrothorn: :rotom-wash:
my suggestions would be to drop ferro rotom for other HO mons that support the electric terrain playstyle, such as Iron Valiant and Sneasler. Here is the variant of the team I'm thinking of.

Additionally, baxcalibur was just banned from natdex, so I'd suggest going sd scale chomp for now.

this is my suggestion:

https://pokepast.es/928c85d725f077ae

optional:
:manectric-mega: replaced with :scizor-mega:
feel free to also drop one of xurkitree / manectric for something like scizor-mega for support vs psychic terrain builds.

good luck!

Last edited:
I think the big thing is that this team is going in a few directions, and theres a little too much overlap with electric types:

my suggestions would be to drop ferro rotom for other HO mons that support the electric terrain playstyle, such as Iron Valiant and Sneasler. Here is the variant of the team I'm thinking of.

Additionally, baxcalibur was just banned from natdex, so I'd suggest going sd scale chomp for now.

this is my suggestion:

https://pokepast.es/928c85d725f077ae

feel free to also drop one of xurkitree / manectric for something like scizor-mega for support vs psychic terrain builds

good luck!
Thanks, like the changes. Haven't tested it yet but it probably makes the team a better HO team and more consistent in general. But is booster energy on valiant a mistake? don't see why it needs it. Also I feel like another ice type is a better replacement for bax (like weavile in my edited version) cause its job is pretty much exclusively to hit ground types. But I guess with your add ons of other offensive mons, getting rid of ground types is less important, so maybe your decision is better.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Thanks, like the changes. Haven't tested it yet but it probably makes the team a better HO team and more consistent in general. But is booster energy on valiant a mistake? don't see why it needs it. Also I feel like another ice type is a better replacement for bax (like weavile in my edited version) cause its job is pretty much exclusively to hit ground types. But I guess with your add ons of other offensive mons, getting rid of ground types is less important, so maybe your decision is better.
haha that was a mistake, you can make that LO or expert belt or a z move MB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)