A Very Late Newark VGC Story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I do not want to bother writing something about the title and my final thoughts about the VGC as the title is self explanatory and my final thoughts about the VGC should be pretty obvious as it seems to be quite consistent with everyone. My thoughts about it are that it is a great experience and was completely worthwhile. Oh yeah, for those who may not know, this was my first VGC!

Preparation:

I heard from a friend about the VGC, and I heard about RNG about the same time which was between early May and late April. I learned how to RNG and made my trade thread and forgot all about the VGC for a while until I saw this on the forums, I began to familiarize myself with the rules and read war stories. I had no practice what-so-ever at all though and had no idea how to practice for this.

Fast-Forward to Three Weeks before the Newark VGC:

Soon enough I saw the thread which led me to Pokemon Online and immdediately I tried it and focused on VGC. Seeing that we can use two Ubers and the sucess that Palkia did and how interesting Eppie's Mewtwo seemed I was thinking about basing a team off that along with a Hitmontop BP I did with Abomasnow as well. I changed Mewtwo for Giratina after I began having some trouble with Shedninja.
I soon learned about Haban Berry and even sooner met Deagle on Pokemon Online who destroyed me easily which soon made me change my lead to a better Fake Out lead, Toxicroak and I kept Palkia. He helped me form my team and give them good EV Spreds, good movesets and form my team. In a week I had the team and was practicing against Graf Eisen, who is TTS as you probably know, and Deagle.

With only a weekend left to the VGC and having my 8th grade trip soon I realized that I actually have to get my pokemon! I already had the items though. So over the weekend I RNG'ed a Croagunk using Syberia's Toxicroak as a parent, I bred a Snover and I got a TRU Arceus to unlock the event. After spending two hours RNG'ing the Giratina I finally got it! I was still missing a Palkia and 7014gree, who I met on Pokemon Online and said I could get his hexflawless shiny Palkia from him, wasn't on I began searching the forums for a hexflawless Palkia and ended up getting MattJ's. I went straight to EV Training them and finished that over the weekend and also tutored Draco Meteor to the Palkia.

I went on my trip for 3 days and I finally got back at 7 PM Friday. I couldn't go to sleep at all as I was on Pokemon Online and I was excited. I decided to go try Pokemon Battle Revolution to see how other people are doing and give myself a better idea about how I will do at Newark. From around 12-1 I did 4 battles on PBR only one seemed to be playing VGC format and I destroyed him. Finally on my fifth battle I got someone who was playing VGC format as well (THIS IS IMPORTANT).

My Team:

@ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31/
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe (this gave it 189 HP, max attack and enough speed to outrun Toxicroaks with no investment in speed)
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

@ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP

@ Focus Sash
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/2 (2 Speed IVs to outspeed Min Speed Abomasnows outside of TR while still being a viable TR sweeper.)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot
- Ice Shard
- Protect

@ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/7/31/31
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe (Same EV Spread as Toxicroak and instead for the best LO Recoil HP it has the best Leftovers Recovery)

The Day of the VGC:

I left at around 9:00 AM to the VGC and got dropped off by my Mom and went on line for the VGC, I was behind Bluecookies and infront of TTS and the Ducks he was with. I stopped by to say hi to TTS and had a quick about how I came up with my username on Smogon because he said "Are you Human?" because that was my name on Pokemon Online. I quickly went back on line after this and I found out the person I was next on line to was Michael, and he seemed to want to beat someone from Smogon, hopefully a Duck. He was awesome and at around an hour later the group behind me and infront of the ducks began attacking each other based on Pokemon attacks. This was funny, but around 30 minutes into this there was someone with a Munchlax who walked past us which was hysterical. So after talking with Micheal until 30 minutes before they began letting people in Rick, Micheal's friend got there and now it was all three of us who were on line. Micheal and Rick were finishing up their teamsheets inside the building as we kept talking. After they finished, I was using random pokemon I did trades for from Smogon, and did an OU Battle with Rick, he got haxed badly in that battle and soon enough he was doing VGC Battles with a mono-normal team he was using for fun. I didn't have another team to do VGC Battles so I just watched. Finally we got on the final line and got all signed up, on that line though something amazing happened. Rick and I found out that we battled each other on PBR at 1 AM when he began talking about the PBR team he faced last night. We were surprised at the coincedense and I told TTS that when I past him on line. So very soon we were ready for out first round battles. Michael got paired up with some random person and easily won.

R1 Vs Rick (D.M.R or called Darkmaster491 on Youtube)

I got paired up with Rick and had a very close battle with him, I almost lost but I played smart and won this due to the practice from going against TTS and Deagle on Pokemon Online. Marriland walked by at one point and we told him how we battled each other on PBR the night before.
He recently uploaded the match on youtube and you can see it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlgQeEGRJv4
Read the introduction he gives, it's quite good.

R2 Vs Shannon

This was against a girl who was a bit older than me and didn't seem to really know about IVs and EVs because I won 4-0. I don't really remember this battle though.
I felt bad for beating Rick R1 because of this, I knew that he deserved to do better than her and probably a lot of the other people there.

R3 Vs Tim

I went against someone who seemed to be around the same age as me, he knew a bit more than the last person I went against. All I remember is that I OHKO'ed his Palkia T1 with a specs boosted Draco Meteor and he was originally surprised how it killed it because he had Haban Berry. He probably thought I was hacking a bit, because he pointed out that I had two shinies, I told him that I RNG'ed them and he didn't call a hack check. In the end I won 3-0. I was next to Expert Evan in this battle and saw him lose. I won right after he lost though and was going to avenge him.

R4 Vs Eric

The person was using a standard team, with Toxicroak instead of Top in a Top Ogre team. Toixicroak Ogre lead against my Toxicroak Lead. I slowly but surely won. I don't remember too much from this other than I won 2-0, I led with a standard Specs Draco Meteor with Palkia and a Fake Out with Toxicroak if I remember correctly.

Finalists Lounge and R5

I went to the finalists lounge and was pretty confident, my first round battle was my hardest. I met a lot of the people from Smogon there. I told Rick and Micheal that I made it to the finalists lounge and yeah. After a long time they tell us how it works, the green and purple cards, and whatever, I get the luck of the draw and have to do another battle! Lucky me! The deck wasn't shuffled too well either as all the cards of the same color were bunched together. There were around 15 cards to send you to do the other battle in a row and only one or two other cards in between.
Well I go and win this battle either 2-0 or 3-0, I don't really remember anything else about the battle.

R6 Vs someone whose name I forgot

He leads with Giratina and Hitmontop, I get a 4-2 lead killing both of his ubers, which were Giratina-O as a lead and Scarfogre in the back, I switch out my Palkia and get frozen by Abomasnow's Blizzard, I do a stupid switch out of my Toxicroak and Abomasnow and Giratina are dead. I go and try Surfing as he double protects. I use Sucker Punch on Hitmontop and get min damage, this was stupid as I should have went for Low Kick on Abomasnow either way. So I end up losing this battle 0-1. Freeze hax, min damage hax, no-crit-when-I-need-it hax, and all of that jazz. I don't remember who I went against R5 and R6, if you guys read this just tell me and I'll edit your names in.

I recorded this battle and put it on the GTS. Video no.: 58-31729-93472

So there you have it, I got in the T32!

Props:
• Getting in the T32 in my first VGC
• Meeting all the people from Smogon
• Living 30 Minutes away from the VGC
• Awesome battles and people
• RNG'ing my team in one day

Slops:
• Losing to hax
• Not getting to the T16
• Not recognizing a lot of the people from Smogon
• Forgetting who I went against in R5 and R6 and completely blanking out about what was going on in R5.

Shout Out for Three People going to Worlds!

TTS if he can get to Worlds, mainly because he helped me practice a lot for Newark while I was on Pokemon Online and he ended up winning the only regional I went to. Deagle, similar reasons, he helped me practice a lot and I basically copied 3 out of the 4 pokemon I used at Newark from him. Without these two the VGC Experience wouldn't have been as great as it was for me, even though I only went to the Regional at New Jersey, I have been following it since Newark and even at Newark I made it to the finalists lounge which was a great experience in itself.

Finally PokemanMaster, I am helping him a lot now, RNG'ed him the Smeargle that helped him get to Worlds as a BP for him (which he gave me credit for in his warstory), among other things to help him do as well as he can, I basically came up with the team he is planning on using at Worlds right now, he even NN'ed a pokemon "Human FTW!" for how much I am helping him now!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congrats on making it as far as you did Human, and for avenging my loss there. I recalled Eric was using kyogre, toxicroak, abomasnow & palkia in our match, probably has switched toxicroak for hitmontop as I'm still 2nd guessing how I should've performed my first turn moves in that match would it have had a different outcome.

Oh wait, you're right, he used Toxicroak, I remember how we both commented on how similar our teams were. I'll fix that right now. Also I am RNG'ing another thing for PokemanMaster very soon. 5/6 pokemon on his team will end up having my OT now!

Also if you ended up winning then I'd have to go against you and I would have hated to have to go against someone from Smogon right before the finalists lounge personally. So in a sense I am glad you lost so we both avoided what would have came next if you won, but I dislike that you lost at the same time.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I believe had we been paired in round 4 and knew each other, we'd been able to request different pairings if I'm not mistaken.

Really? I thought that only would have been for like round 1 and round 2. I found out that you could only do that later in the day and so did the person I went against in R1. That was the thing which got me annoyed, bad selection method, the person you're next to on line. Pretty much forces you to go against someone who was in the same group as you. Ah well, you can't do much in the end and there is always next year. We can still help everyone who is going to Worlds and the LCQ. Pokemon Online is a great way to do that at the very least :toast:

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I managed to pull the friend card until either top 32 or top 16. I almost got paired against Chalkey in one of those, but ended up getting Liesik(I think.. could've been a random staffer.. haha) to switch me to an empty table.

Congrats on making it as far as you did. Yea I got paired against friends until I reached the finalist lounge so I was able to avoid that whole mess by telling the staff my opponent was a friend.

Nice, making it to the top 32 isn't a easy thing :)

And, RNGing your team in one day with perfect ivs :O. I can't do that, it would take me a very long time :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)