Ability Unity!

BirdSpam, MBounce, stall in general has been bothering me. No longer..

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def OR SpD
Impish Nature (OR Careful)
- Rest
- Toxic
- Block
- Rock Slide

This Regirock can handle both kinds of irritation. First pick the stall wall you want dead, and Block first turn so that they're stuck. MBounce Mew, Unaware Chansey/Florges, bulky waters, etc etc, Mold Breaker can trap them all. Drop a Toxic and Rest yourself up until they die. Most stall mons aren't capable of 3HKOing Regirock so he's fine to sit and sleep. Mew with Taunt can ruin it, hope you can Toxic it first and survive without Resting. Chansey and Florges have Heal Bell/Aromatherapy but Toxic has twice the PP so you're fine.
Regirock is an excellent switchin to Gale Wings, Brave birds are laughable and the fighting coverage isn't that threatening. Rock Slide them if given the chance or Toxic the switchin. I chose Rock Slide over Stone edge because it has more PP (stall wars) and is more reliable, while the damage difference isn't that important.
252+ Atk Life Orb Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 57-68 (15.6 - 18.6%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 153-182 (42 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Regirock Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 218-258 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 288-342 (92.6 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Staraptor will probably have SR or recoil damage already so yeah they're both dead. However if you think you really want to risk it and be able to kill a full health Staraptor then go ahead and use SE

BirdSpam, MBounce, stall in general has been bothering me. No longer..

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def OR SpD
Impish Nature (OR Careful)
- Rest
- Toxic
- Block
- Rock Slide

This Regirock can handle both kinds of irritation. First pick the stall wall you want dead, and Block first turn so that they're stuck. MBounce Mew, Unaware Chansey/Florges, bulky waters, etc etc, Mold Breaker can trap them all. Drop a Toxic and Rest yourself up until they die. Most stall mons aren't capable of 3HKOing Regirock so he's fine to sit and sleep. Mew with Taunt can ruin it, hope you can Toxic it first and survive without Resting. Chansey and Florges have Heal Bell/Aromatherapy but Toxic has twice the PP so you're fine.
Regirock is an excellent switchin to Gale Wings, Brave birds are laughable and the fighting coverage isn't that threatening. Rock Slide them if given the chance or Toxic the switchin. I chose Rock Slide over Stone edge because it has more PP (stall wars) and is more reliable, while the damage difference isn't that important.
252+ Atk Life Orb Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 57-68 (15.6 - 18.6%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 153-182 (42 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Regirock Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 218-258 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Staraptor: 288-342 (92.6 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Staraptor will probably have SR or recoil damage already so yeah they're both dead. However if you think you really want to risk it and be able to kill a full health Staraptor then go ahead and use SE
You didn't account for Tinted Lens in your Brave Bird calc

252+ Atk Life Orb Tinted Lens Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 114-135 (31.3 - 37%) -- 83.1% chance to 3HKO

Regirock can only switch in once without rocks, after that you have to sack or pass a wish to make sure it isn't 2HKOd. Also with rocks up that CC becomes a 2HKO meaning Rest can't save you. It is a good check but Rest opens the door for your opponent.

EDIT: I realize that you were accounting for Gale Wings but Tinted Lens is no joke and this is why.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
also aren't most berds banded? If so

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 176-208 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

aka "bop"

obviously you can take 2 Superpowers after the drops but you're forced to Rest, and you don't carry Sleep Talk so next time it comes in you lose a mon

In all honesty the best burd counter you can get your hands on is physdef megabro. It can shrug off ANY hit physical birds can throw at it then recover up with slack off, meaning that unlike Doublade, Maggron, Rhydon and the Regirock set recently posted, Mega bro cannot be worn down by the burds outside of the occasional toxic. The only real issue is Moltres and Staraptor with final gambit, but other than that megabro is as good as it gets.

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 144-169 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 96-112 (24.3 - 28.4%) -- 98.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 145-172 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
In all honesty the best burd counter you can get your hands on is physdef megabro. It can shrug off ANY hit physical birds can throw at it then recover up with slack off, meaning that unlike Doublade, Maggron, Rhydon and the Regirock set recently posted, Mega bro cannot be worn down by the burds outside of the occasional toxic. The only real issue is Moltres and Staraptor with final gambit, but other than that megabro is as good as it gets.

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 144-169 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 96-112 (24.3 - 28.4%) -- 98.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 145-172 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
!dt bulk up
In all seriousness, however, that probably is the best check you are going to get outside of like Shed Skin Rhydon. Please do note, however, that it doesn't start out mega evolved, and so can be 2hko'd by Braviary, especially after rocks;
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 210-247 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 145-172 (36.8 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This ends up as 90-106.2, which means a guarentee after sr.

I'm running a Rain team, so this isn't widely usable, but Physically Defensive Hydration Suicune is a pretty consistent check to most Physical Gale Wings that aren't Banded (As in, it can switch in and Rest and they can't kill it) and against Banded it's still able to survive consistently so long as it gets in fresh, and since they'll be killing themselves with recoil this actually works as a check.

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 238-282 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reckless means Staraptor can actually consistently (92~% chance) grab the 2HKO with just Life Orb (If it's running that for some reason) where Braviary can't ever without a Band, but Staraptor is also a lot more fragile. A single Scald is liable to be more than enough to kill it (Taking into account Rain), and if you got a predict such that you came in on Close Combat, you're easily fine.

For a Rain team, Hydration Suicune is really a great defensive check to a lot of things. Keep in mind Manaphy can be used as a U-Turn-capable Rain setter. (No recovery, unfortunately, making it difficult to get longevity out of it...) This makes it easier to get Suicune in on things you want it walling.

Hydration Suicune is also a fantastic hard stop to Primordial Sea Water types. (Like other Suicune) They can't even wear it down with Scald, because it's effectively immune to Burn.

Skarmory, however, remains the best stop to Physical Gale Wings outside of Talonflame. (Which is arguably the worst Physical Gale Wings choice in Ability Unity -I don't think I've even seen it on the ladder) Staraptor's Banded Close Combat isn't a 2HKO, even if Skarmory lacks Leftovers and switched into Stealth Rock!

Since Superpower lowers Attack on use, Braviary isn't any better off, not that 3 Attack would make that much of a difference anyway.

also aren't most berds banded? If so

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 176-208 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

aka "bop"

obviously you can take 2 Superpowers after the drops but you're forced to Rest, and you don't carry Sleep Talk so next time it comes in you lose a mon
Seems about 50/50 with band v life orb, with all the checks people are testing it can be very useful to change moves to UTurn scout or use a coverage attack and wear down checks. Life orb also allows them to Roost (and in Braviary's case, use Bulk Up) and continue attacking, rather than let recoil be their undoing. Also if Regi is full health he can Block Braviary then Rest and let it drop its attack to -6 after surviving the initial 2 Superpowers, allowing him to still kill it. Banded Raptor has got him though, so one could bring a ghost to take advantage that.

Regirock is nicer because he can also check Moltres and stall mons (which is actually the main purpose his set), but MegaBro certainly can handle birds well with better recovery. Looks like a good idea!

So I got this far using only one team, my Heracross Stall team, and now I've seen someone using the same team and asked him where he got it, it was on a Facebook group... that's the first time a team that I made is recognized as good (it's weird to see someone else using a team that you made and never gave to anyone tho). Should I make a RMT? Soon the OMotM is going to change, anyway. (Edit: I don't even know if I can make a RMT post of an OMotM team lol).

Last edited:
yea sure make an RMT, why not? You can also submit it to the sample teams thread if u don't feel confident

We need aegislash imo
Why do we need Aegislash when it is beaten by some of the most common Gale Wings/Flying-type spammers

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 194-228 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 150-176 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It beats Braviary, which is cool.

Do I even need to calc Moltres or Honchkrow? The only thing Aegislash can do is force CB birds to switch into their other Aegislash counter. Aegislash doesn't even do anything extremely special besides King's Shield. I mean I guess you can unban Aegi simply because it cant get any other abilities. I don't see it doing a lot in this meta, most things have the coverage or abilities to beat Aegi 1v1 or just simply outclass it. Also, not to mention, Aegi loses you so much momentum which can make it a liability to switch in.

Why do we need Aegislash when it is beaten by some of the most common Gale Wings/Flying-type spammers

252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 194-228 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 150-176 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It beats Braviary, which is cool.

Do I even need to calc Moltres or Honchkrow? The only thing Aegislash can do is force CB birds to switch into their other Aegislash counter. Aegislash doesn't even do anything extremely special besides King's Shield. I mean I guess you can unban Aegi simply because it cant get any other abilities. I don't see it doing a lot in this meta, most things have the coverage or abilities to beat Aegi 1v1 or just simply outclass it. Also, not to mention, Aegi loses you so much momentum which can make it a liability to switch in.
Well, Aegislash does have this wonderful move called kings shield. It also *can* live a fire blast (75% even if moltres has specs, and retaliate back with an weakness policy boosted hit.

Also out of question, what are these "Aegislash counters" of which you speak? I wasn't aware of it having any. And how does 160 offenses lose momentum?

Reactions: Mq
Well, Aegislash does have this wonderful move called kings shield. It also *can* live a fire blast (75% even if moltres has specs, and retaliate back with an weakness policy boosted hit.

Also out of question, what are these "Aegislash counters" of which you speak? I wasn't aware of it having any. And how does 160 offenses lose momentum?
Because when you switch in you don't have those offenses. And I did mention King's Shield, which is good. I just don't think Aegi is the end all be all way of beating bird spam. And Aegi counters, well I should have said checks because yes, we all know it can run special or physical. But things like Suicune, Heatran, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Lando-T can all deal with it (granted it can run Sacred Sword to beat Heatran). Simply put, Aegislash is stretched thin trying to counter all these things. And while Aegislash can beat some of the aforementioned checks that allows other Pokemon to more comfortably check it. I think to reiterate, if you push Aegi to a defensive roll it loses a large amount of offensive presence to the point where even Aegislash-Blade's damage output can feel lacking. And if you push Aegi more towards offenses it has trouble actually switching into what it wants to. This essentially makes its niche, at least to me, a 50/50 pursuit or king's shield turn. Maybe I am wrong in underestimating Aegi, but we can't know unless we unban it.

Also on WP, it seems like a cool idea but, lefties can allow aegi to avoid some 2HKOS (like tinted lens BB).

As for Fire Blast here is every calc I could think of.

252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 268-320 (102.6 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 244-291 (93.4 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 244-291 (75.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 320-377 (98.7 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Moltres Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 312-368 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Moltres Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 284-336 (108.8 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 368-434 (113.5 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Then there comes what you want to hit Moltres with. I'd say that you could run Rock Slide over Gyro Ball but the difference in damage is minimal except when against things like Moltres. If you sacrifice pursuit you can't trap it, and if you sacrifice toxic you can't punish incoming walls. Sacrificing Gyro Ball leaves you without a STAB move.

Last day for OMotM, so here's a fun set.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Last Resort

This is surprisingly powerful.

252 Atk Silk Scarf Adaptability Ambipom Last Resort vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 196-232 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Adamant can always 2HKO, but factor in the Fake Out damage and so will Jolly. Obviously this can't damage Ghost, Rock, or Steel types, but it's still a great offensive revenge killer and can seriously smash some walls. Fake out is strong against quick and frail things like Sceptile, and it hits before GaleBirds so it can finish off a weakened Staraptor or whatever before it can attack. Just a fun lil set

Last day for OMotM, so here's a fun set.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Fake Out
-Last Resort

This is surprisingly powerful.

252 Atk Silk Scarf Adaptability Ambipom Last Resort vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 196-232 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Adamant can always 2HKO, but factor in the Fake Out damage and so will Jolly. Obviously this can't damage Ghost, Rock, or Steel types, but it's still a great offensive revenge killer and can seriously smash some walls. Fake out is strong against quick and frail things like Sceptile, and it hits before GaleBirds so it can finish off a weakened Staraptor or whatever before it can attack. Just a fun lil set
Guts Flame Orb (/Toxic Boost Toxic Orb, I guess) hits almost as hard, can't be Paralyzed or put to Sleep by Pranksters, and Fake Out gives you the turn you need for it to activate.

252 Atk Guts Ambipom Last Resort vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

A little weaker, but not by much, and the protection might be worth it.

Alternatively, you could take Scrappy, sacrificing power for the ability to punch through Ghosts. Could be nice, though admittedly Ghosts don't seem that popular in Ability Unity.

Guts Flame Orb (/Toxic Boost Toxic Orb, I guess) hits almost as hard, can't be Paralyzed or put to Sleep by Pranksters, and Fake Out gives you the turn you need for it to activate.

252 Atk Guts Ambipom Last Resort vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 184-217 (43.8 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

A little weaker, but not by much, and the protection might be worth it.

Alternatively, you could take Scrappy, sacrificing power for the ability to punch through Ghosts. Could be nice, though admittedly Ghosts don't seem that popular in Ability Unity.
Ambipom dies so fast which is why I avoided Life Orb recoil for Silk Scarf, and Guts would only end him faster while dealing less damage. The recoil thing is important because then teams can't Regen-switch around or spam Recover and let you die from your own means. I can understand he usefulness of not being slept or paralyzed, especially with the prevalence of Prankster Twave Zapdos, but i don't think it's worth it. Unaware Chansey is a reliable HealBell-er to have too. Scrappy is neat to get better coverage but then it can't 2HKO any of the stallmons it wants to. Overall it's kinda just meant to hit offensive threats hard with FakeOut and defensive mons with Last Resort for a sort of anti-meta monkey, if that makes sense

Sorry for reviving this thread but with the addition of gen 7 a lot of gen 7 pokemon has new abilities and i'll share it with you

Comatose: This Pokemon can only be affected by the sleep condition
Available To: Almost Any Normal Type thanks to komala

Skill Link
Available to every Normal/Flying thanks to pekipek

Stakeout: Deals twice the normal damage if the opponent switches to battle
Available to: Every Normal Type thanks to yungoos

Strong Jaw
Available to: every normal type thanks to yungoos

Levitate
available to galvantula thanks to vikavolt

Dazzling: Blocks Priority Moves
Available to: Starmie Slowbro and Slowking thanks to bruxish

Iron Barbs
Available to Magnezone thanks to togedemaru.

Lightningrod
Available to Magnezone thanks to togedemaru

Queenly Majesty: Same as Dazzling
Available to every pure grass type thanks to tsareena

Stamina: Raises Defense by 1 if hit by a contact move
Available to every pure ground type thanks to Mudbray and Mudsdale

Water Compaction: Raises Defense by 2 stages if hit by a water type move
Available to Golurk thanks to sandygast and palossand

Innards Out: An Aftermath Clone
Available to every pure water type thanks to Pyukumuku

Soundproof
Available to every pure dragon type thanks to Jangmo-o

Bulletproof
Available to every pure dragon type thanks to Jangmo-o

Reciever: Inherits the ally pokemon's ability when he faints
Available to every pure fighting type thanks to Passimian

Unaware
Available to every psychic type thanks to Cosmog

Shadow Shield: Multiscale clone
Available to Hoopa thanks to lunala

Last edited:
Starmie can make good use out of Dazzling, since it's fast and frail. In addition to your list:

Hoopa-C can now have Shadow Shield (basically a Multiscale clone), so it can have an ability which is actually useful. With it, it can survive a Shadow Ball from Life Orb Gengar at full HP most of the time. It also buffs up its physical bulk (or lack thereof) somewhat.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Hoopa: 273-322 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Hoopa: 182-214 (60.4 - 71%)

It probably still won't make it a great Pokémon, but it's better than Magician.

Stakeout could be great on something like Choice Band Snorlax. Lightningrod might be useful for Magnezone (more immunities are always nice), but I don't think Iron Barbs would help it very much.

I just wanna say now that as interesting as Levantula might be, it desperately needs Compound Eyes Thunder because its damage output is REALLY poor otherwise.

Chesnaught @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Bulk Up
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch

A potentially VERY bulky Chesnaught set, thanks to Poison Heal from Breloom
((Note: The Poison Heal would also work well on Virizion))

I did some research into potential counters for Dazzle. The only one I found was Druddigon.
He is the best Pokemon with access to sucker punch and moldbreaker.

Druddigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Chip Away
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)