Add a Japanese Mode for Gens 1 and 2 to Pokémon Showdown

Hello all, this is Beelzemon 2003. Firstly I want to congratulate Enigami, Plague von Karma, Shellnuts, Kris, Zarel and all the persons that were involved in the creation of the Nintendo Cup 97 and 2000 simulators.

The addition of the aforementioned simulators will allow more Japanese players to enjoy Showdown; in fact, CherryB0ng and I are currently hosting a Nintendo Cup 2000 Double Elimination tournament with 13 international players and 7 Japanese players.

During the tournament I knew that language barriers could create problems, that's why I offered the Japanese players to help them with the commands and translations during their matches. In the tournament there was a Japanese player called Tasso (たそ) that didn't speak English nor had a Showdown account, so in his set we used my account to play, that is that he gave me orders and I simply clicked the moves or pokémon that he said. The previous task was stressing because I had to translate and play at the same time and a single mistake on my part could have loss Tasso the game. Below are some screenshots of the conversation that we had on Discord during the set:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Also when CherryB0ng and I made the rules, it never came through our minds that it could be disadvantageous if an English Speaking player activated the timer againts a Japanese player that struggled with that language. When someone told me about this possible scenario I asked the Japanese players what they thought about the issue, fortunately no one complained about it, below are some screenshots of that conversation:

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

Anyway, due to the situations mentioned above, I think that it would be a good idea if Showdown could have an option that displayed the names of the Pokémon, Moves and Items in Japanese for Gens 1 and 2. Fortunately, we don't have to invest time with the translations because our good friend Chio already did them, in fact, I used them during the tournament, below are the translations:

Pokémon names in Japanese

Items' names in Japanese

Moves' names in Japanese

By the way, I also want to thank Chio for his incredible work at translating the names and for helping Showdown and me to develop the Nintendo Cup 2000 resources.

Anyway, thank you for listening to my request, greetings.

Note: Unfortunately we don't have translations for Gens 3 to 8, that's why I didn't request the change for those formats.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Even though small steps are always good, the final objective should probably be to have everything translated to the main Pokémon languages that have players on Showdown (so Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, who all have a lot of Showdown users; Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese in which the [latest] games are available; and probably Portuguese, Dutch, Hindi and so on if we're talking user interface for Showdown users...).

I believe that translations of the sim (chat-commands and in-game data alike) are planned in several languages, as per Showdown's contact page, but I'm unsure about the specifics, so I'll welcome the opportunity to ask here in case someone from the staff knows the answer.

For example, wondering if translations are waiting for a major technical change before they're able to go live, if user-made contributions are needed only for chat-commands or for everything from the user interface to abilities/pokémon names/move names (although these do probably already exist on Bulbapedia), if there's any ETA for translations or even news about how high of a priority they currently are...

Come to think of it, it would probably be interesting to study the demographics of Showdown to know how many users from one country or another play the game. Would such data be able to go public like the old PS vs PO usage numbers, or is it confidential?

Thanks for your time and your work anyway :)

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Yeah, to clarify, the issue isn't a lack of translations available. We have text dumps in all supported SwSh translations (Japanese [Hiragana], Japanese [Katakana], Spanish, German, French, Italian, Chinese [simplified], Chinese [traditional], and Korean) which can be compared against the English text dump. The issue is the time it takes to implement battle translations, which is not at all trivial. Simply put, we're not set up to support mass-translations like this - most translation work right now is for moderation. It can be done, but it will take a long time before it's available.

I really appreciate for Beelzemon's kindness.
But, this is just my opinion, probably not a big problem with the simulator itself.
The English used is plain and graphical, so it's easy for non-native English speakers to understand.
(Thanks to all the contributors who created the amazing simulator)

The essential problem is probably outside the simulator.
I feel that the Showdown account registration process isn't intuitive.
I couldn't register of my account without this manual made by a Japanese player.

Also, the tournament hosted by Beelzemon was to play Nintendo Cup 2000 in GSCOU format, so the procedure was extremely complicated even for non-Japanese players.
Fortunately, this issue was resolved nowadays with the help of Shellnuts and other contributors.
They deployed the Nintendo Cup 2000 format to Showdown.

Also, the tournament hosted by Beelzemon was to play Nintendo Cup 2000 in GSCOU format, so the procedure was extremely complicated even for non-Japanese players.
I agree, when we started the tournament there was not a Nintendo Cup 2000 simulator, so we had to play with the Gen 2 Overused simulator. We had to do two battles, one was a dummy where both players brought their six pokémon and used team preview, then they had to cancel the battle, go to the team builder, choose three of their six pokémon and restart the battle without team preview. The process was lenghty and complicated, but there was no alternative back then. Fortunately, once Shellnuts and friends added the Nintendo Cup 2000 simulator we could move the tournament there, here is a replay of one of the recent battles of the tournament: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nintendocup2000-1334686607

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)