Gen 3 ADV OU Offense team

Disclaimer: I used to play a lot of gen3 and 4 back in the day, I'm just getting back into it. I'm basically a noob and can't remember much so please don't flame me too hard or laugh at how bad my teambuilding skills are. Trust me, I know. <3

With that out of the way, I wanted to make an offensive team just to have fun with on the ladder. One thing I'm aware of is that I probably need to put a spiker in here somewhere to punish switches, but I have no idea where I'd fit that in. After racking my brain over it a lot I figured my best bet was posting my team here, and hoping one of you gamers would give me a hand (tyvm in advance btw :D)

ani_e_376.gif

M.Knight (Metagross) @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

The idea is to lead off with a bang! Without actually blowing up! I noticed zapdos, mence and t-tar leads were pretty common so threatening them off the bat seems legit. With the HP EV's I can live a standard mix mence fire blast and KO it back with rocks. I know sludge bomb is weird but I like the 30% poison chance (poison scald!) when i'm not sure what I should click. Poisoning a swampert coming in is always fun, though I know you shouldnt rely on a 30% proc. Hitting celebi and the occasional ludicolo is always a plus I guess, though maybe I should just run explosion...

ani_e_135.gif

Usain Bolteon (Jolteon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

I originally put this on my team to synergise defensively with gyarados and eat t-bolts, while gyara comes in on the EQ's and intimidates. Forcing something out and getting a sub pass to get blaziken in safely was the idea with the moveset, as well as just threatening stuff with damage. I'm sure theres probably a better option or more efficient EV spread?

ani_e_195.gif

Giggity (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Atk / 136 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Haze

Do I think this is smart? heck no. Was I having problems with suicune, zapdos and aero? Yeah basically. Very open to suggestions on this one lol
The idea was that I can haze suicune, and the ones that run only surf, I can just stall them endlessly. Forcing switches with yawn seemed like a legit idea if I could fit spikes somewhere on this team, but again I have no idea where i'd fit that in. Quagsire seemed like a good fit over swampert because my team lacked reliable water resist (wanted to keep gyarados as healthy as possible to setup multiple DDs and try sweep later on) and it helps check flygon and reset curse users and stop them snowballing out of control.

ani_e_257.gif

Hadouken! (Blaziken) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 Atk / 220 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Sky Uppercut
- Substitute

I EV'd Blaziken to beat smeargle by 1 point, though I'm sure I could probably just go max speed? I just wanted as much power on those fire blasts and sky uppercuts as possible, while utilising sub on the many switches blaziken forces out to get a toxic off on a swampert, milotic etc (I used to run hp grass but hitting those pesky dragons with toxic seemed to work better) and having the option to get into blaze range when needed. I'm a big fan of blaziken in ADV due to all the things he can threaten but it does seem very hit and miss, and I don't find myself with too many chances to get him in to work his magic. The extra power on sky uppercut really helps but I'm still unsure if I should just go brick break or not.

ani_e_094.gif

Mr Smiley (Gengar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 72 SpA / 112 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

Gengar does gengar stuff. Honestly not sure why I need a ghost but he does come in handy in a lot of games.
EDIT: Im an idiot and forgot about the 3 lines of text per description rule:
Taunt is to deny blissey healing and help break it. I tried offensive gengar but this defensive set has given me more success, bolt beam coverage seemed standard, and will o wisp just seems like a safe option to click in a lot of sitautions.

ani_e_130.gif

Gazza (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 40 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Rock]

I wanted a dragon dancer and while gyarados' coverage in gen 3 is kinda garbage, I really like intimidate and how well he shrugs off swamperts hits. HP rock and those speed EVs make sure I can beat timid zapdos and other base 100s after a DD. Taunt shuts down most skarms as you really don't want to eat a toxic or let this thing spike endlessly in your face. There are a lot of situations where I miss HP flying or double edge like vs flygon or celebi, but everytime i remove HP rock I get clapped by a zapdos! The defensive EVs are a bit of trial and error. I can survive a standard forretress explosion after intimidate. I try to setup multiple DDs at the end of the game if possible.

I'm sure there are a million things wrong with my team. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! I love Gen 3 and would love to get better at team building :P I've been having fun on the ladder but there are obvious flaws in my team and my knowledge of the meta game and experience in general isn't quite good enough to see exactly how I could patch it up.

Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to help this garbage gen 3 lover :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)